• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mythical Pokémon (datamine spoilers)

We can scratch off the first possibility off the list. All 8 Ultra Beasts are placed before Magearna in the Pokedex (National and general Alola ones), which would mean that not making any of them normally obtainable would result in a visible empty slot (since Magearna is going to be available in Japan upon launch).

This makes things more interesting. I still find the other two possibilites more likely than ending the generation after two years.

I thought I read somewhere that GF was planning DLC for Gen 7 to allow the games to constantly feel refreshed. I think it was in an Ohmori interview.

I thought I read somewhere that GF was planning DLC for Gen 7 to allow the games to constantly feel refreshed. I think it was in an Ohmori interview.
Any idea where you read that? A link is absolutely needed, since people on forums tend to paraphrase or just make things up.

We can scratch off the first possibility off the list. All 8 Ultra Beasts are placed before Magearna in the Pokedex (National and general Alola ones), which would mean that not making any of them normally obtainable would result in a visible empty slot (since Magearna is going to be available in Japan upon launch).

I think ORAS did this with Jirachi, though, since Rayquaza and Deoxys were both obtainable in-game.

I think ORAS did this with Jirachi, though, since Rayquaza and Deoxys were both obtainable in-game.
Jirachi was 12 years old by then. It wasn't a secret.

ShinyGreninja said:
Let me look for it. I am almost certain it was during one of the nintendo directs about the games.
But Ohmori didn't appear in any of the few Directs this year.

You mean the same guys who have shied away from home console games? Seriously? They'll have to accommodate the Switch eventually, but there is no obvious reason for them to work faster on the transition than they did with the 3DS (it took 2.5 years).

The only reason they've shied away from home console games is because they believe (like many similar increasingly irrelevant Japanese developers) hat the ideal multiplayer experience is best had face to face on a playground in Tokyo Japan between kids with handheld game systems. With the videos showing multiple Switches can link together on the go, any objections should be gone.

The only reason they've shied away from home console games is because they believe (like many similar increasingly irrelevant Japanese developers) hat the ideal multiplayer experience is best had face to face on a playground in Tokyo Japan between kids with handheld game systems. With the videos showing multiple Switches can link together on the go, any objections should be gone.
They will be gone after they see that kids are actually interested in the Switch and not a minute beforehand. Right now, Nintendo is referring to the Switch as a home console first, adding that there are many more 3DS games in the pipeline.

I don't doubt that the transition will be made eventually. I just highly doubt that Game Freak are in any rush, especially when they simply lack experience with HD games.

Last edited:
Personally I think it will only last 2 years. Marshadow in the 2017 movie, and then a Lucario/Zoroark type character in 2018 to take us into Gen 8. Perhaps Marshadow will have a new form/evolution only obtainable in the next Gen 7 game like Dianice and Hoopa had in ORAS?

We know that while still working on XY, they had already decided on Hawaii as Gen 7, and the concept of Island Guardians (I don't see how any of the Tapus even when combined look like the Strange Souvenir but the idea of island guardians, is certainly there) so it's quite likely they've already picked out the region and started concepts for Gen 8, (maybe that is what the year long break was for?) and they've still got another 2 years until Winter 2018 to finish them.

EDIT: I guess Arceus could come back for a showdown with Silvally?

Last edited:
SM won't be the only gen 7 games. It maybe the anniversary but it doesn't mean that they are doing only SM. That be a pointless generation. SM should not be treated as the greatest pokemon games of all time. We are getting gen 8 later. Also Silvally would lose to Arceus.

I think all Ultra Beast would be available. Only Magearna and Marshadow would be events.

At this point I will be incredibly surprised if we get a third ds. Switch uses gamecards, is portable, and the tv hookup looks largely optional. I think this is all we're getting.

I really hope for a 3DS3 just because of the name.

We need links.

Perhaps Marshadow will have a new form/evolution only obtainable in the next Gen 7 game like Dianice and Hoopa had in ORAS?

Everything points to that. They strongly hyped Marshadow being a baby kinda confirms it.

EDIT: I guess Arceus could come back for a showdown with Silvally?

This is what makes me believe next game will be a DPPt remake.

For me,
2016: Sun/Moon games and SM anime.
2017: GSC on Virtual console and maybe 1st SM movie with Marshadow. (also there is the anime's 20th birthday)
2018: DPPt remakes and SM movie with Arceus vs Silvally so we can get hyped.
2019: Break. In the end of the year we get a confirmation for GEN VIII on SWITCH. (even with my joke above, I don't think there will be more 3DSes.
2020: GEN VIII GAMES GET HYPE

They strongly hyped Marshadow being a baby kinda confirms it.

Nobody has hyped Marshadow, strongly or otherwise, except for the fans who learned of its existence through leaks and trademark files.

For me,
2016: Sun/Moon games and SM anime.
2017: GSC on Virtual console and maybe 1st SM movie with Marshadow. (also there is the anime's 20th birthday)
2018: DPPt remakes and SM movie with Arceus vs Silvally so we can get hyped.
2019: Break. In the end of the year we get a confirmation for GEN VIII on SWITCH. (even with my joke above, I don't think there will be more 3DSes.
2020: GEN VIII GAMES GET HYPE
Agree with all except for Arceus vs Silvally movie. Arceus would destroy it which would make it the shortest movie ever.

That makes it Somebody, right?

Not anybody relevant to the possibility of there being a movie that features Marshadow, so however much they may have hyped it up is meaningless.

Games get updated with the other event legendaries after the gen 7 relaunch on the Switch is my most likely bet for the situtation right now. I seriously doubt they can get gen 8 anywhere near ready for the Switch by 2019, let alone 2018 without resulting in something worse then XY.

I seriously doubt that this generation will be "relaunched" on the Switch. They made a choice to release Sun and Moon for the 3DS and by next year only hardcore players would want to buy ports. Why would parents buy kids a new system for games they already have?

As I've said countless times, if they want to accommodate the Switch before 2019, a simultaneous release of 3DS/Switch versions is their best option of appealing to as many people as possible.

Personally I'd love if Gamefreak added free dlc Pokemon at some point, it would go a long way to alleviate concerns people have about a lack of Pokemon. Even if it was an extra 20-40 in a second set of games and they updated Sun and Moon to accommodate them. Sure they didn't do anything like that in gen 6 but this is a new generation and I hope going forward it's something they seriously start to consider.

There's something super duper appealing about the idea that they could just add a bunch of new Pokemon whenever they wanted. Suddenly you couldn't just rely on a datamine in order to get the full picture.

It's not something I'm counting on, but I'd love it so much. It's definitely a sort of "pipe dream" scenario for me.

As for the topic of mythical Pokemon. I could see it as a sign that they're not planning to stick with the 7th gen for very long. I could also see an Ultra Beast being a "mythical" like you said. I could also see a whole movie being dedicated to the Ultra Beasts.

I guess it's also worth considering that they'll probably be focused a lot on distributing those Pikachus wearing Ash's hat.

On the topic of Marshadow, do you think it's story will be played out in Sun & Moon, a second set of gen 7 games or will we only see what it's about in gen 8? (like with Zygarde)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom