• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

Wow that was a pretty eventful trailer.

Starters: Primarina is Water/Fairy, nothing interesting here. Also its signature move kinda sucks, why would you wanna heal your opponent's burns? Incineroar's animations unsurprisingly did not make me like it more. Decidueye (how is this pronounced?) is definitely my favorite here, and its Ghost type was a big surprise. Though it kinda sucks cause I already have a Ghost-type planned for my team so I still don't know who to choose. :cry:

Guardians
: Not many surprises again due to the datamines sadly. I like that they added a Psychic terrain which apparently makes Psychic-types immune to Dark. Also their signature Z-move looks pretty epic!

Alolan Persian
: Ew.

Pokemon League: That's interesting. Sounds like it'll probably be a post-game thing. I wonder if we'll have a say on who the Elite 4 and/or the Champion will be?

Battle Tree: There's our battle facility! I'm so looking forward to all the returning characters! This is really exciting, hopefully there will be more battle styles than just single and double as well. Can anyone translate the options from the Japanese trailer?

Grown-up Red and Blue
: This is perfect! Easily the best nod to all of us who have been playing since the first generation and grew up with Pokemon! Though I gotta wonder why Wally looks the same as ORAS. RSE took place around the same time as RBYFRLG so I don't think ORAS was a decade+ after the originals?

I hope that none of the Kalos "rivals" return, though. The only one that would make sense has a non-canon gender.

I think there's a decent chance that Shauna could come up; she was the "B" rival in that she took the weaker Starter, and did say that she wanted to go to a faraway region.

Though I gotta wonder why Wally looks the same as ORAS. RSE took place around the same time as RBYFRLG so I don't think ORAS was a decade+ after the originals?

It's right about now that I'd suggest my "ORAS was moved to be ~5 years before XY" proposition, but even then, Wally still should have aged some. He's 10 in ORAS, so even if we did shift the setting of those games, he would still be 15+ and should look a fair bit different.

RSE took place around the same time as RBYFRLG so I don't think ORAS was a decade+ after the originals?
Even Dexio and Sina look older (and refer to XY as having happened in the past). Game Freak are just being lazy with Wally and arguably Cynthia.

Esserise said:
I think there's a decent chance that Shauna could come up; she was the "B" rival in that she took the weaker Starter, and did say that she wanted to go to a faraway region.
That's fine, but she doesn't belong in the Battle Tree since she never collected gym badges or expressed interest in being strong.

Even Dexio and Sina look older (and refer to XY as having happened in the past). Game Freak are just being lazy with Wally and arguably Cynthia.

Do Dexio and Sina look older, or is that just the improved proportions helping them out?

That's fine, but she doesn't belong in the Battle Tree since she never collected gym badges or expressed interest in being strong.

Ah, good point.

Omg, so Tapu Lele is a butterfly. Feel so stupid for just figuring it out.

But why is the official web talking bout the Pokemon League being in construction in the Battle Tree section of news? Is the Battle Tree meant to replace the Battle Tree?

I really hope they are two features, and the Pokemon League doesn´t replace the Battle Tree or something.

And I hope the League is construcr¡ted IN THE GAME. I don´t want an other teaser of a facility that never is constructed in the actual game!

Last edited:
OOOHHHH.

OOOOHHHHHHHHH.

Okay.

Decidueye is Grass/Ghost?! WHAT. Damn that was super unexpected, but super awesome at the same time. Makes me want to pick it more since personal preference makes me not want to use Flying types so much, also its archer theme is love. Incineroar is actually pretty charming now that I see it in motion, especially that Refresh moment where it gets startled and then waves it off. :3

Primarina is probably my least favorite still, although that attack animation where it lets its hair out was pretty cool. Would like to see it from the front.

@Esserise @Silktree
We've essentially had this same exact discussion when the Pokemon World Tournament was out. We know B2W2 happened around the same time as XY yet neither Red nor Blue got updated character designs...nobody did. I assume outside of Red and Blue, who seems to appear in the overworld, trainers like Cynthia and Wally will be confined to the new battle facility, making their appearance as canon as the appearance of every other trainer in PWT.

Even if ORAS has been moved to being five years before XY, the time span between FrLg and GSC was less, and plot-relevant characters received updated designs, with some of them looking older. Given that Wally is 10 - 11 in ORAS, you can't really pretend that he wouldn't have aged in 5 years. Then there's Cynthia who literally never ages even though other characters who were released in the same generation and appeared in future games (i.e., Caitlin) have.

We can accept that Game Freak gets "lazy" with things like demo scrubbing, but we can't accept they get lazy with updating (largely irrelevant) character designs for a feature clearly meant to pander to the fandom?

So the Battle Tree is probably the giant tree on the west island. The same island we travel through the main adventure.

So this gives me the feeling that the Battle Tree is once more the only post game place. A PWT is kinda nice, but then no inferior version like it is looking right now, but no actual post game locations and routes?...ugh.

Wouldn't suprise me if Zygarde cells collecting is the post game activity.

"The next one is the 31st battle. Do you want to continue?"
Option:
- Continue
- Take a break
- Record
- Scout

Yep, that sounds like Battle Tower/Metro/Maison to me Looks like it's really only the partnering up game mode from those.

But why is the official web talking bout the Pokemon League being in construction in the Battle Tree section of news? Is the Battle Tree meant to replace the Battle Tree?

Sounds like an excuse to bring those people into the tree.

Last edited:
We can accept that Game Freak gets "lazy" with things like demo scrubbing, but we can't accept they get lazy with updating (largely irrelevant) character designs for a feature clearly meant to pander to the fandom?

Oh, I readily accept that that's the "real" reason. But it's also a profoundly boring reason from a nitpicky fan perspective. :p

So the Battle Tree is probably the giant tree on the west island. The same island we travel through the main adventure.

So this gives me the feeling that the Battle Tree is once more the only post game place. A PWt is kinda nice, but then no inferior version like it is looking right now, but no post game?...ugh.
A PWT style of a Battle Facility is all the postgame I have ever wanted in a Pokemon game.

The only thing I don´t know yet is will there be a regular Battle Tower equivalent where you fight normal trainers? Or are they blanded in just one Battle Facility where you battle normal npcs AND Champions/Trial Captains, etc? I would like that too.

Also: Blue and Red had 6 Pokeballs each iirc. Is this just for overworld battles, or does t mean the Battle Tree will have a 6 vs 6 mode, and not only 3 vs 3?

The only thing I don´t know yet is will there be a regular Battle Tower equivalent where you fight normal trainers? Or are they blanded in just one Battle Facility where you battle normal npcs AND Champions/Trial Captains, etc? I would like that too.

Since we know that there are textes about continuing your winning streak, break, etc. the tree is already the "Battle Tower" of the region. So it's pretty much like the Maison partner mode (where you can partner up with important NPC's like Wally) only a bit more advanced with older character and that you can battle them.

Also: Blue and Red had 6 Pokeballs each iirc. Is this just for overworld battles, or does t mean the Battle Tree will have a 6 vs 6 mode, and not only 3 vs 3?

Cynthia appeared in a double battle together with the protagonist. She can't use all of her six pokemon of course.

well in the context of those battles, Red and Blue had a different background from the Battle Tree background so i imagine that was a sort of pre-Battle Tree battle.
Decidueye (how is this pronounced?)
deciduous + eye. drop the -ous in deciduous and make Decidueye. it's a soft c if that's any help as well.

Last edited:
So this time again, the starter final evo typings are arranged according to weaknesses -

Decidueye (Ghost) is weak against Incineroar (Dark) is weak against Primaria (Fairy)
just like Chestnaught (Fighting) < Delphox (Psychic) < Greninja (Dark)

I think they made Decidueye Ghost typing to balance this weakness thingy that starter final evos been sharing since XY.

Well there's the starter evos, and sadly their 3D-models haven't make me like them more. I actually dislike Incineroar even less now that I've seen it move (those hands are way too huge wth) and its name :/ So no starter for me, though might keep Litten for a while without evolving it.

I was definitely not expecting them to reveal all the guardians already, GF really doesn't like surprises, do they? I know we already knew them from the datamine, but it would still have been more fun if their types had stayed secret for a while imo. I don't care much for them really, Tapu Koko is still the best by far. Don't hate them though, the idea is fun and them all having a terrain ability is cool. That Z-move though :/ Never touching that.

Cosmog is the cutest thing ever, I love it.

Alolan Persian is... I don't want to talk about it.

Very excited that we might get a League postgame and about the Battle Tree! Hope we see a lot of strong trainers return from the previous games :D

Back
Top Bottom