• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trailers and News Discussion

HEEL WRESTLING CAT IS DARK TYPE. Everyone on the internet who was crying about fire fighting types can GO HOME. :D

Two female looking guardians, good! :D

At least Red's an adult now I guess? Too bad Gamefreak seems to give the female PCs the shaft unless they're stapled to Ash Ketchum. -_- I want grown up Leaf thanks. Red was not my trainer. At least Blue is as douche as ever though. <3

The official blurb about Primarina on the PokeSuMo site states: Sparkling Aria is a Water-type special move that only Primarina can learn, and it heals the burns of any target it strikes.

I can only make a guess about this being a move that would really only have some value if you're in a double battle. If the opponent pokemon burns Prima's battle partner, it could use the move to heal them. I agree that I don't really see how this would have any kind of real value if you're engaged in a single battle. Although maybe someone with a lot more experience than me in competitive battling could think of something?

We quoted each other at the same time. :p Yeah but it's also a damage dealing move. So while healing your ally's burn you would also damage them. As another user mentioned, it would be useful for stopping Guts and Facade / Flame Orb strategies but that's a niche use.

And they said starters will never get a Ghost type as a secondary type, ha! Although I wanted a full part Flying line for a starter again, Grass/Ghost is just as good. It has the same number of weaknesses as Grass/flying but it doesn't have a 4x weakness. So it actually benefits from replacing Flying with Ghost. I noticed that all three fully evolved starters have immunity to at least one type.

That thing is definitely a squid.

IT's possible it could be for both reasons: Alolan Marowak enhanced it's senses and is connected to the night marchers of polynesian myth.

It also is probably a little callback to the ghost Marowak from R/G/B/Y

At the meantime, I'm starting to like Incineroar as well and the concept behind it. He is a wicked wrestler, not bad!!! Overall, no doubt that this is the best starter trio of all generations. Amazing type combinations, amazing signature moves and amazing concepts!!!!! It is the first time I want to start with all three starters if possible. :)

Same on all accounts! I think this is the only time I've liked all final starter evos in a group besides the gen one ones!

And then there's the infamous Incineroar... I still don't like it. Yeah, you can say it's a Fire/Dark all you want, but it still has that beefy appearance of a Fire/Fighting. Not only that, but the website states it as the "Heel" Pokemon. It's a wrestler! Might as well be a FIghting-type design-wise.
Yes. A "Heel" wrestler. It makes more sense for that to be dark. The dark type isn't just dark energies and stuff like Dark Pulse. Look at these moves.
"Beat Up"
"Fake Tears"
"Flatter"
"Foul Play"
"Nasty Plot"
"Payback"
"Sucker Punch"
"Punishment"
"Taunt"
"Thief"

The dark type is about dirty fighting, thievery, bullying, rudeness, trickery, and shadiness. Incineroar is perfect for it. This is also why fighting beats dark. Dark types are dirty, opportunistic, pragmatic fighters, where fightings are trained in fighting skillfully the "right" way, and are (usually, unless they are dark) honorable, so they win against "evil" dirty fighting mon.

Plus. In hindsight all that black (specially the ripped sleeves look) is a big hint at Houndour 2.0.

Too bad Gamefreak seems to give the female PCs the shaft unless they're stapled to Ash Ketchum. -_- I want grown up Leaf thanks. Red was not my trainer. At least Blue is as douche as ever though. <3

Same! Where's Leaf GF?? InI

And lol he seems a little friendlier to his old pal to me though. But Idk. I think it's potentially a cute callback to gen 1 though. It was said that he used to be your best friend and you both were inseparable.

It actually benefits from replacing Flying with Ghost. I noticed that all three fully evolved starters have immunity to at least one type.

Hey thats true! Though I'm not sure if it helps all that much. Also good catch! I wonder if that was intentional.

I cannot believe all the hate Incinaroator (cannot spell it) gets. It is a freaking powerhouse.

So it looks like a fire/fighting, sure, but there are a lot of dark types that look like fighting types or vice versa. I love the concept of a "dark" wrestler and I think the animation really removes the goofiness of the artwork. I think this is the best Fire-starter we have seen since Infernape!
Honestly all the animations redeemed the starters for me. I was not a fan af Primadonna (cannot remember the name), but the animation made it so more alive.

I am going to do it now - a top three
1. Litten-Line
2. Rowlet- Line
3. Poplio-line

I love decidueye so much. Grass types are one of my favourite types and this is the best starter since Sceptile imo.

Incineroar has a great design also, might be one of my favourite fire types.

Primarina is... ok I guess? The popplio line isn't that well designed imo, but I'm not a fan of water types in general...

By the way, don't know if anyone else has had this thought, but could sparkling aria be a burn-version of wake-up slap? so heals burn, but doubles in damage? that would be the only way the move would make sense to me tbh...

I really wish they'd call him Green. Calling him blue just makes everything so weird. I remember watching Origins and its like.

"I'm Red! So I'm picking charmander!"

Oak: "Are you gonna pick squirtle since you're Blue?"

Green: "No that's stupid. I'm going to pick... Squirtle!"

See how dumb that is. :p

Blue hasn't had blue or green clothes since... forever.

Gen I was purple and black with brown boots
Gen III was more black and purple with a gray fanny pack
Gen IV was black and khaki

Blue hasn't had blue or green clothes since... forever.

Gen I was purple and black with brown boots
Gen III was more black and purple with a gray fanny pack
Gen IV was black and khaki

Yup, but we all know his original name is Green, mistranslation again *sigh* (or Nintendo America's mistake)

Yup, but we all know his original name is Green, mistranslation again *sigh* (or Nintendo America's mistake)

Well, no, it's not a mistranslation or a mistake. It's a deliberate localization, because "Green" wouldn't make sense for the areas where the first Pokémon games released were Red and Blue.

Yes. A "Heel" wrestler. It makes more sense for that to be dark. The dark type isn't just dark energies and stuff like Dark Pulse. Look at these moves.
"Beat Up"
"Fake Tears"
"Flatter"
"Foul Play"
"Nasty Plot"
"Payback"
"Sucker Punch"
"Punishment"
"Taunt"
"Thief"

The dark type is about dirty fighting, thievery, bullying, rudeness, trickery, and shadiness. Incineroar is perfect for it. This is also why fighting beats dark. Dark types are dirty, opportunistic, pragmatic fighters, where fightings are trained in fighting skillfully the "right" way, and are (usually, unless they are dark) honorable, so they win against "evil" dirty fighting mon.

Plus. In hindsight all that black (specially the ripped sleeves look) is a big hint at Houndour 2.0.
Yeah, I know. I didn't say that it didn't make sense for it to be a Dark-type. I'm just saying that they used this aspect of the Dark-typing as an excuse to make what is, for all intents and purposes design-wise, another combative Fighting-like Pokemon similar to the previous Fire starters. Just because it is a "pragmatic fighter," doesn't mean it isn't a drastic departure from previous concepts.

Well, no, it's not a mistranslation or a mistake. It's a deliberate localization, because "Green" wouldn't make sense for the areas where the first Pokémon games released were Red and Blue.
Also, in Pokémon Blue, players can select "Red" as the rival's default name.

Okay, I'm going to take a moment to say my thoughts on each part of this trailer.

• Decidueye: I was honestly not expecting Grass/Ghost at all, but its pretty cool that it is. I love the design of Rowlet's final form and it had a pretty cool signature move as well.
  • Incineroar: YES! Its not Fire/Fighting! Bless Game Freak. I love seeing this Pokemon in action. There's just so much personality. Incineroar's special move also seems cool. A move that ignores stat changes will be good.
  • Primarina: Primarina is such a beautiful Pokemon! I really like what they did with Popplio's line, though the special move? I don't know how to feel about it.
  • The Tapu's: I absolutely love Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, and Tapu Bulu. I'm SHOCKED though that Tapu Bulu is Grass/Fairy. I honestly thought they'd all share the primary type of each Oricorio form. Also, confirmation on Ula'Ula Island and Poni Island. Gotta say, of all them, Tapu Fini is my favorite.
  • Tapu Z-Move: OH MY GOD! THIS WAS INTENSE. RIP Probopass. I honestly thought their exclusive Z-Move was pretty cool.
  • Cosmog: Very cute and those who have been to the datamine thread already know what this is.
  • Alolan Persian: I still think this thing's design is just strange. The rounded face just seems odd to me, compared to normal Persian.
  • The Alolan League: Excited about this. Its gonna be nice knowing we'll eventually have an Elite 4 and Champion to battle, assuming we need to to gain access to the Battle Tree, which looks pretty cool too.
  • Returning Characters: Yaaaay! Wally is back and so is Red and Blue. Guess this is what they meant by it all coming together. I AM SCREAMING THOUGH! THE QUEEN HAS RETURNED! CHAMPION CYNTHIA IS BACK!!!!
Overall, this was an extremely hype news day and it looks like Sun and Moon just got even better with the Alolan League being built and CHAMPION CYNTHIA!!!!!

Btw, maybe this is just me, but isn't it odd that they used some kind of African-like tribal music for the starter evolutions? The rest of the trailer is more generic Pokemon music (like in alp the other trailers as well)

It i beautifull though! So hopefully this is something in-game.

(Or it was already showcased, and I'm completely overthinking things)

The mistake I mean is they chose RB then changed his name, not mistake that they mistranslate the name.

Yeah, I know. I didn't say that it didn't make sense for it to be a Dark-type. I'm just saying that they used this aspect of the Dark-typing as an excuse to make what is, for all intents and purposes design-wise, another combative Fighting-like Pokemon similar to the previous Fire starters. Just because it is a "pragmatic fighter," doesn't mean it isn't a drastic departure from previous concepts.
Oh ok I see. Sorry I misunderstood and told you a bunch of stuff you already know then.

Back
Top Bottom