• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Near future = 2017-2021.

Yeah, if we don't get one in that timeframe I'd have some serious concerns about the direction of this series. Already they're starting to do away with third versions/sequels, if they get rid of remakes then what's left? Are we just going to get new generation after new generation? That'd really be quantity over quality.

Yeah, if we don't get one in that timeframe I'd have some serious concerns about the direction of this series. Already they're starting to do away with third versions/sequels, if they get rid of remakes then what's left? Are we just going to get new generation after new generation? That'd really be quantity over quality.
People had some serious concerns about the state of games after XY and maybe ORAS. But Gen 7 is looking fantastic. So no Sinnoh remakes wouldn't be that much of a concern.

The other option, besides new generation after new generation, would be a reboot. Not a soft reboot like BW or XY, but a complete reboot of the whole franchise. They can correct all their mistakes of the past.

So yeah, no Sinnoh remake wouldn't be the end of the world.

New generation after new generation is a terrible idea. Not only it is bad for business but it is a slap in a face to fans who want more out of the gen. We may not get Sinnoh remakes but we would get some other gen 7 games after SM. A reboot is not needed and should not happen. And no, they can't correct all their mistakes. Look at what happen with the demo for SM. SM will not be the only gen 7 games as they won't be absolutely perfect.

If Sinnoh remakes are after SM then I think they should upgrade the regional dex so gym leaders and others benefit from it.

People had some serious concerns about the state of games after XY and maybe ORAS. But Gen 7 is looking fantastic. So no Sinnoh remakes wouldn't be that much of a concern.

It's a bit premature to say that, we don't know the full picture yet. In fact, some of the things revealed in the leaks do raise a few concerns already. There's certainly things to get excited about with SM, but remember that we're just getting the highlights. There may be (and probably will be since nothing is ever perfect) downsides to SM that they're hiding from us.

And regardless, we can get a new generation literally at any point. We can't get third versions or remakes all of the time. Skipping those does raise some serious concerns about quality because it implies they don't want to finish what they started and make polished experiences. Look at what happened with Kalos in XY. Do you really think that would be a one time issue? That is a very bad precedent to start.

The other option, besides new generation after new generation, would be a reboot. Not a soft reboot like BW or XY, but a complete reboot of the whole franchise. They can correct all their mistakes of the past.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. Let's say we have SM this year, 8th gen in 2018, and then 9th gen in 2021. What happens in 2017, 2019, and 2020? If we've already ruled out third versions, sequels, and remakes, what's left to fill that gap?

It's a bit premature to say that, we don't know the full picture yet. In fact, some of the things revealed in the leaks do raise a few concerns already. There's certainly things to get excited about with SM, but remember that we're just getting the highlights. There may be (and probably will be since nothing is ever perfect) downsides to SM that they're hiding from us.
True. But what we have seen so far, can you honestly say that it is looking better than XY at this point in time?

And regardless, we can get a new generation literally at any point. We can't get third versions or remakes all of the time. Skipping those does raise some serious concerns about quality because it implies they don't want to finish what they started and make polished experiences. Look at what happened with Kalos in XY. Do you really think that would be a one time issue? That is a very bad precedent to start.
Yeah, Kalos was just a mess. But we can't keep going new generation - remake, new generation - third version/sequel. Old regions will be left in the dust especially Kanto which desperately needs a new coat of paint.

We can just go back to Kanto, but people will then say that Sinnoh is next in line and then Unova and then Kalos. It'll never end.

They also need time to master a new handheld like the Switch. So well I share your concern about Kalos, I don't see it being the same situation for the Switch. 2017 will be Gen 7's gap year, which they can use to work on the next titles, maybe Sinnoh remakes, for the Switch. Every generation has at least one gap year.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. Let's say we have SM this year, 8th gen in 2018, and then 9th gen in 2021. What happens in 2017, 2019, and 2020? If we've already ruled out third versions, sequels, and remakes, what's left to fill that gap?
Gen 8 would be the reboot. It would the start of the next era of Pokemon. Sinnoh remakes could start this new cycle of Pokemon. Or it could just be the reboot, if there is one.

Yeah, Kalos was just a mess. But we can't keep going new generation - remake, new generation - third version/sequel. Old regions will be left in the dust especially Kanto which desperately needs a new coat of paint.

We can just go back to Kanto, but people will then say that Sinnoh is next in line and then Unova and then Kalos. It'll never end.

Yes we can if they're not in a hurry to rush in a new generation every 3 years. Did we really need a new generation now when new hardware is less than a year away? They could've easily fit a Kalos game and a Kanto remake in that timeframe and saved SM for the Switch. The older regions are in this state because of Game Freak's decisions on generation length, not because it's too many games to handle.

They also need time to master a new handheld like the Switch. So well I share your concern about Kalos, I don't see it being the same situation for the Switch. 2017 will be Gen 7's gap year, which they can use to work on the next titles, maybe Sinnoh remakes, for the Switch. Every generation has at least one gap year.

They won't just debut on the Switch with Sinnoh remakes, they always begin new hardware with a new generation. It's simply much cleaner that way, it allows them a clean break from the past generation in terms of compatibility and for them to design the game from the ground up with the new hardware in mind. And it doesn't make sense for them to launch a brand new generation on older hardware if they had any plans to transition to a new generation immediately after, that defeats the purpose of a generation. This very clearly points towards there being at least one more 7th gen game on 3DS in 2017 with 8th gen launching on the Switch in 2018/2019. As far as not being polished though, that's more an issue with them not making third versions/sequels more so than the first version not being polished enough (although even then, XY took 3.5 years to develop. 8th gen will have had the same timeframe most likely so it'll probably have the same issues as XY), initial pairs often have significant flaws in the experience and it takes the third versions/sequels to fix them. More new generations and less third versions/sequels isn't helping that issue, that's just giving us more regions with less effort and polish being put into them. Hence why I said it's becoming quantity over quality. The question you should be asking yourself isn't whether or not the 8th gen debut game is going to be polished. It's what they're going to do with that region later on in the Switch's lifespan to polish it. And since it's looking like the answer is "nothing" that doesn't really bode well for the future of this franchise, if instead of giving us a full fledged 8th gen experience they're just going to say "screw it" and put 9th gen on the Switch in 2021 it's going to cement that quantity over quality sort of environment.

Sorry but Kalos is far better than Kanto. It was never a mess. DP remakes should be next in line. And no, the next gen is not a reboot because that would be pointless.

I think Kanto got a 'new coat of paint' with Megas, Alola Forms (which were exclusively for Kanto) the return of Red/Blue etc.

I think Kanto got a 'new coat of paint' with Megas, Alola Forms (which were exclusively for Kanto) the return of Red/Blue etc.

Except that's not actually improving Kanto, it's improving it's Pokemon and characters. I would very much like to see improvements to the actual region design as well, the region design really shows its age with many of the areas being short, flat, clustered, and lacking environmental variety. Kanto could really use a new set of areas and significant improvements to its older areas. Johto and Kalos could also use major updates to regional designs too, they're both pretty small and lacking and could use an entirely new sections as well.

Here's my Prediction about some Legendary forms for Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh Legends

Mew
I think Mew should get something to rival Mewtwo and its Mega Forms. Mew gains an 'Awakened' form to rival Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwos. It's type would change to Psychic/Dark. I think the somewhere from 100-200 points should be added to Awakened Mew's BST, and it's lore would be to prove that Team Rocket did not know nature's true power while creating Mewtwo, and the Mew DNA they got was only a small part of the whole thing.

Legendary Birds and Beasts
Moltres, Articuno and Zapdos could gain alternate forms with a +50 Stat boost.
Lugia could gain an alternate form with Water/Psychic typing, and Ho-Oh could gain a similar form, with Fire/Psyhic Typing.

The legendary beasts could gain a 'Inferior' form, with a common secondary typing to indicate the 'impurity' of those Pokemon, before they were 'purified' by ho-oh. I think they could gain Normal, or Psyhic secondary types.

Unown
They could gain Zygarde-like form, in the lines of Unown Complete form. Some moves could b added for this form, like a 180 Base Power move with no secondary effect, along with Hidden Power, Secret power etc.

Junichi Masuda says the Pokemon Company is interested in more remakes of older Pokemon games.

For those that were worried that remakes are a thing of the past now that Virtual Console releases are a thing. Masuda says that despite Virtual Console releases, they're still interested in doing remakes :D

So I guess this means there's no question about whether we are getting DPPt remakes or not anymore, we just need to know when.

Welp, RIP dreams reliving GSC on the VC.

What's interesting about this article is the timing - just before Sun/Moon's release.

Sun/Moon are finished, which means that GF are already part way through making their next release, whatever it may be. What does this mean? I interpret this in two ways:

1. It's a sign that a remake (not necessarily D/P) is next, and Masuda nonchalantly dropped the hint without dropping it - he says they're interested, nothing about developments starting or even in the planning stage.

2. It's a sign they're non-commital to the idea, but are open to the idea as they were about OR/AS - fan demand brought us OR/AS, so they may be looking for fan demand for a future remake.

Masuda said there were no plans at the moment to re-distribute Pokemon Gold and Silver games on Virtual Console. “With the 20th anniversary, it was the right timing to release the original games,’ Masuda explained. “I think that we really want to give people the experience of bringing these Pokemon from the original Game Boy and seeing what they look like in Pokemon Sun and Moon. That is something that I want people to enjoy.”

Well that's an awful way to start my morning.

Shoot, you guys are worried about the direction they'll go in if they stop doing remakes, but I'm sitting here and I'm already a little concerned. No GSC VC plans, no plans to do anything with Megas... I feel like I'd be a fool to hold my breath for regional variants to be used outside of Gen VII, let alone for any Pokémon that aren't from Gen I (I don't mind the favoritism so much for the first go-around; I get why they're doing it that way, but let's not always keep that restriction on it - and I wouldn't think they would, if there were plans for GSC VCs, since the RBY VCs are clearly a factor in the current Alola Forms, but apparently...).

Here's seriously hoping that this is just more meaningless Masuda gum-flapping, or that he's simply remaining vague so as to not say anything that they aren't ready to announce yet. They're sitting right on top of a very obvious way to release GSC VCs in a relevant context - just do it whenever Pokémon Go updates to include the Gen II Pokémon. Bam. Easy.

I mean, nobody wants to play the RBY VCs *just* so that they can transfer those Pokémon up to SM. Anybody with a copy of ORAS can do that just fine, and they're already in possession of a much smoother, more polished game with vastly more content than RBY. A huge part of why people play VCs is because they want to relive those games specifically... and you'd better believe that people would love to relive GSC. (Of course, even taking into account the bit about transferring, it now leaves GSC in the awkward spot of being the only games in the series that remain incompatible with the current generation, and often unplayable themselves due to dead batteries.)

Edit: Not to mention that, as far as the only (piracy-free) alternative to VCs goes, the typical asking price for HGSS on the secondary market these days is astronomically high. Come on Game Freak. The artistic integrity alone should compel you to do this. The Scrooge McDuck-esque lake of money it would reel in certainly doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Ok, I was holding myself from playing Pokemon Crystal on an Emulator, waiting fot the GSC VC release to happen soon (maybe next year). But if they are not going to release GSC on the VC anytime soon...

Junichi Masuda says the Pokemon Company is interested in more remakes of older Pokemon games.

For those that were worried that remakes are a thing of the past now that Virtual Console releases are a thing. Masuda says that despite Virtual Console releases, they're still interested in doing remakes :D

So I guess this means there's no question about whether we are getting DPPt remakes or not anymore, we just need to know when.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SINNOH IN 3D IS GONNA HAPPEN EVENTUALLY;
The Only Things left to Wonder about are:
A. What year They'll do
B. What New Features that Didn't EXIST in Gen IV will be included in the Remakes
C. What will Lucas and Dawn Look Like[Since ORAS had No Character Customization(Probably since they are Established Characters on their Own), and Sun and Moon Did; It's Safe to Assume that ONLY NEW Original Pokemon Games will have Character Customization, and Remakes of old regions WON'T]
D. What Design Changes will there be to Professor Rowan, And Team Galactic, and Gym leaders and Elite 4 have!?!?!?!
E. What will the remake names be(For Now I'll say they are Astro Pearl and Chrono Diamond; or Space Pearl and Time Diamond)

I would love to see a remake of generation IV, but I wouldn't be disappointed when GF won't make it.
What I personally like in the Sinnoh games was the mythology attached to the region and for me it would be very nice if GF explored that a bit more by doing a remake of this generation

Shoot, you guys are worried about the direction they'll go in if they stop doing remakes, but I'm sitting here and I'm already a little concerned. No GSC VC plans, no plans to do anything with Megas... I feel like I'd be a fool to hold my breath for regional variants to be used outside of Gen VII, let alone for any Pokémon that aren't from Gen I (I don't mind the favoritism so much for the first go-around

Alola forms being exclusive to Gen I Pokemon is not really the first-go around when you consider how many gen I mega evolutions there are. Pidgeot & Beedrill robbed Milotic & Flygon. ROBBED.

I understand the dropping of megas as they are no longer the new function, and due to the focus on Z-moves in S/M but the "if a game comes up in future that we think [Mega Evolutions] would work really well with, certainly we'll look into it" comment really makes me wonder what the future regarding megas is, as lots of Pokemon (namely starters) shouldn't be left out.

Ok, I was holding myself from playing Pokemon Crystal on an Emulator, waiting fot the GSC VC release to happen soon (maybe next year). But if they are not going to release GSC on the VC anytime soon...

If you're that keen to play Crystal, play the emulator. You can always play it again if Gen II does go on the VC.

Pidgeot & Beedrill robbed Milotic & Flygon. ROBBED.
That's a flawed perception. The idea of Mega Flygon came before Pidgeot and Beedrill were given Mega Evolutions (that is, Mega Flygon was explained as being part of the development of XY, while the others were part of Oras' development), and in the case of Mega Beedrill at least, the design was handled by another artist (Hitoshi Ariga) in a similar vein to when he brought him on to design Pokémon for Generation VI. It's almost as bad as arguing that a character "stole a spot" in Smash due to them being over a user's preferred character.

As for how that relates to the future of Mega Evolution and other things, we dunno. I think because of how many they showed us last Generation, maybe taking a break is for the best. It's no guarantee, but there will be demand for them so I wouldn't count them out if a new game is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom