• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News "Pokémon: The First Movie" returns to select US theaters

Momentum

Reaction score
Watch Pokémon: The First Movie on the Big Screen | Pokemon.com

movie1-cinemark-169.jpg

The original Pokémon movie classic returns to select Cinemark theaters for a limited engagement.

Join Pokémon fans and watch Pokémon: The First Movie at a participating Cinemark theater near you! The amazing first Pokémon movie will be shown at over 200 Cinemark theaters on Saturday, October 29, and Tuesday, November 1. This epic cinematic debut stars Ash and Pikachu as they face off against the Legendary Pokémon Mewtwo. The classic short “Pikachu's Vacation” will also be featured, delivering even more Pokémon fun to viewers.

Tickets for this event will cost $5. Presale tickets are available now for both the October 29 matinee shows and the November 1 evening shows.

Enjoy Pokémon: The First Movie and “Pikachu's Vacation” in select Cinemark theaters soon for a limited time!

Interesting note: "Pikachu's Vacation" will be included in the showing, which wasn't the case for the recent DVD and Blu-ray release by Viz Media. Does this mean the rights to this short have just recently been re-secured by TPCi?

I remember my sister and I took my niece & nephew to see this when it first came out. My niece was 7 yrs old & my nephew was all of 4. They cried, naturally, when Ash was turned to stone, and quite honestly, I started crying, too, as a result. If I recall correctly, my sis looked at me like, really?, lol..... :cautious: I believe I tried to shrug it off or something. haha:ROFLMAO:

My nephew is no longer in the area, but I would love to have been able to take my niece to see this once again, if for no reason other than nostalgia, considering this is the 20th anniversary year for the franchise. Sadly, there are no Cinemark theatres close by. It would be like a 2-3 hour drive to get to the nearest one where I'm at.

Oh, well. Good times!

Pikachu's Vacation? Awesome! I hope this paves the way for a re-release of all the Pikachu shorts on home video.

My (extremely limited) understanding of the situation is that the companies who own the rights to release the feature films on DVD in various territories (Viz in the US, Manga Entertainment in the UK, Beyond Home Entertainment in the Australia, etc) only actually have the rights to release the main films on home video. Supplemental materials, such as the Pikachu shorts, can't be released with whatever current contracts are in place for whatever reason.

Theatrical showings are contractually different from home video releases which is probably why Cinemark's allowed to get away with including "Pikachu's Vacation."

I just got a ticket for the Tuesday night showing. Veronica Taylor just so happens to be going to the theater closest to me too, so it's going to be an awesome night. I can't wait!

Can anyone who sees this tell me the technical details? Is MSB the same master as the Blu-ray transfer (with no opening credits)? Is Pikachu's Vacation remastered? Are there any logos before or after? Did Mewtwo's Origin appear (long shot, I know)?
Thanks.

So I went to the Playa Vista showing last night that Veronica Taylor went to. It was really awesome! It was nostalgic to see the short film and main movie in a theater after such a long time, and people clapped after certain parts, like when Ash walked into the stadium with all of the original Pokémon and when Meetwo said "Now I see the circumstances of one's birth are irrelavent, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are". However, I feel like the rewritted script in the dub is flawed, and Dogasu's comparison really makes me want to watch the Japanese version someday. Regardless, it was just fun to revisit a childhood classic with so many other Pokémon fans.

Then there was a Q&A session with Veronica where we could ask her about anything. Some highlights include that she never watched the movie in full until last night (O_O), she thinks it's awesome that Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket are still on the show, she likes to speculate why Delia and Oak are always shown together, and she feels that the show feels more real than most cartoons. I wish I had a video of it, but I don't unfortunately. If anyone wants to know what other questions there were, I can post more. People also got her to autograph and take pictures with her after the Q&A session too. Overall, it was a really great night!

Can anyone who sees this tell me the technical details? Is MSB the same master as the Blu-ray transfer (with no opening credits)? Is Pikachu's Vacation remastered? Are there any logos before or after? Did Mewtwo's Origin appear (long shot, I know)?
Thanks.
I'm not sure if the movie itself and the short were remastered or not (I'm pretty sure it's not though), but there were opening credits. It showed the Pikachu the Movie logo before the short film, and it showed the Pokémon The First Movie and Mewtwo Strikes Back logos for the main film. No 4kids or Nintendo logos though. Mewtwo's Origin did not appear, but I wish it did.

Then there was a Q&A session with Veronica where we could ask her about anything. Some highlights include that she never watched the movie in full until last night (O_O), she thinks it's awesome that Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket are still on the show, she likes to speculate why Delia and Oak are always shown together, and she feels that the show feels more real than most cartoons. I wish I had a video of it, but I don't unfortunately. If anyone wants to know what other questions there were, I can post more. People also got her to autograph and take pictures with her after the Q&A session too. Overall, it was a really great night!
Awesome! Unfortunately I don't live in the US so I can't see the movie in theater.

I would love to read the other questions.

Awesome! Unfortunately I don't live in the US so I can't see the movie in theater.

I would love to read the other questions.
•Veronica said that she disliked Digimon, and she likes how Yu-Gi-Oh is a "grown up" version of Pokémon.
• She claimed that Ash knew about the Minnasota Vikings because Professor Oak watched football and told Ash about them. Probably a joke answer, hahaha.
• She and her daughter have played Pokémon games, but only Pokémon Red and Pokémon Go.
• Veronica's family likes to play the song Pokémon Christmas Bash during the holidays every year.
• She has no idea who Neil Stewart (voice of Lawrence III) is.
• Her favorite episode is the very first one.
• When she was working on the Advanced series, she would record Ash and May's lines in one session, but do Ash's lines first then May's lines.
• She was able to get the voice for Ash because there was an auction for the Pokémon anime, and she took it. She goes on to say that timing and relevance is everything when finding an acting job.
• She doesn't read fanfiction, but she loves theorycrafting and has a headcannon that Ash's dad is Giovanni.
• I can't emphazise how crazy it is that Veronica never watched the entire movie until last night. She said that she went to the premire of the movie 18 years ago, but had to leave early because of her few months old daughter at the time.
• She never saw Ash turn into stone until last night.

I just realized that no one asked her if the banned episodes besides the beach one were ever dubbed at some point, I really wish I asked that question now. But there was a lot of good information in there, and Veronica is such a nice person. It was great to get to meet and talk to her!

So I went to the Playa Vista showing last night that Veronica Taylor went to. It was really awesome! It was nostalgic to see the short film and main movie in a theater after such a long time, and people clapped after certain parts, like when Ash walked into the stadium with all of the original Pokémon and when Meetwo said "Now I see the circumstances of one's birth are irrelavent, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are". However, I feel like the rewritted script in the dub is flawed, and Dogasu's comparison really makes me want to watch the Japanese version someday. Regardless, it was just fun to revisit a childhood classic with so many other Pokémon fans.

I'm not sure if the movie itself and the short were remastered or not (I'm pretty sure it's not though), but there were opening credits. It showed the Pikachu the Movie logo before the short film, and it showed the Pokémon The First Movie and Mewtwo Strikes Back logos for the main film. No 4kids or Nintendo logos though. Mewtwo's Origin did not appear, but I wish it did.
Thanks for the info. That Q&A sounds amazing. I never would have known that Veronica never saw the movie in its entirety before last night.
The details about the presentation are, again, much appreciated. I hope TPCi, at the very least, puts Pikachu's Vacation on the website to stream. Same with the other shorts.

What a random question to ask. I wonder why someone asked this.

What great trivia to know. You're so lucky to have met her. She is definitely on my bucket list of people to meet.

Interesting how Pikachu's Vacation wasn't remastered. It's still no excuse for TPCI and Viz Media not to include it on the re-release. Having it in standard definition would have been better than not having it at all. People are always so disappointed when I have to tell them the DVD from 15 years ago is a better product than it's re-release. The DVD even has better audio quality!

Interesting how Pikachu's Vacation wasn't remastered. It's still no excuse for TPCI and Viz Media not to include it on the re-release. Having it in standard definition would have been better than not having it at all. People are always so disappointed when I have to tell them the DVD from 15 years ago is a better product than it's re-release. The DVD even has better audio quality!
I'll be honest, I saw some Instagram pictures and videos taken by people in the theaters, and judging by the, maybe, five or so seconds of Pikachu's Vacation that were captured, the footage at least has brighter colors and retyped credits. From what I understand, the short was always in 4:3, so they most likely retained the original aspect ratio.

Thanks for the info. That Q&A sounds amazing. I never would have known that Veronica never saw the movie in its entirety before last night.
The details about the presentation are, again, much appreciated. I hope TPCi, at the very least, puts Pikachu's Vacation on the website to stream. Same with the other shorts.
Yeah, the Q&A was really great. That also really shocked me that Veronica never saw the first movie from start to finish until last night, so it must have been extra special for her. And no problem dude!

What a random question to ask. I wonder why someone asked this.

What great trivia to know. You're so lucky to have met her. She is definitely on my bucket list of people to meet.

Yeah, Veronica is very nice. Getting to meet the voice of one of your childhood heroes is really something else. I also had my birthday the day after the last XY episode, so I asked her to say happy birthday for me in Ash's voice. She delievered. XD

And yeah, I'm not sure if the movie shown really was the remastered version or not, since I've never seen the remastered version myself. I'm pretty sure it's the initial dub version though.

Last edited:
It was remastered in Japan in 1080p (https://i.imgur.com/XwXdH7e.jpg), so TPCi could have made that available for distribution after adding English audio.

•Veronica said that she disliked Digimon, and she likes how Yu-Gi-Oh is a "grown up" version of Pokémon.
• She claimed that Ash knew about the Minnasota Vikings because Professor Oak watched football and told Ash about them. Probably a joke answer, hahaha.
• She and her daughter have played Pokémon games, but only Pokémon Red and Pokémon Go.
• Veronica's family likes to play the song Pokémon Christmas Bash during the holidays every year.
• Her favorite episode is the very first one.
• When she was working on the Advanced series, she would record Ash and May's lines in one session, but do Ash's lines first then May's lines.
• She was able to get the voice for Ash because there was an auction for the Pokémon anime, and she took it. She goes on to say that timing and relevance is everything when finding an acting job.
• She doesn't read fanfiction, but she loves theorycrafting and has a headcannon that Ash's dad is Giovanni.
• I can't emphazise how crazy it is that Veronica never watched the entire movie until last night. She said that she went to the premire of the movie 18 years ago, but had to leave early because of her few months old daughter at the time.
• She never saw Ash turn into stone until last night.

I just realized that no one asked her if the banned episodes besides the beach one were ever dubbed at some point, I really wish I asked that question now. But there was a lot of good information in there, and Veronica is such a nice person. It was great to get to meet and talk to her!
Thanks!
I also read on Twitter that she confirmed that 'Casey' was the initially name for Ash:
View: https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/793930336988057604

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom