• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misfit Angel's Corner

Looking over everything I'm loving how it's all developing. Your work is wonderful. :D

A bit of a different submission this time. It's not tiles, or art work, or a background. It's a video, showing off two features I programmed into my RPG's engine the other day: the map and the radio.

The map is more or less complete, but a few places (the ones I didn't highlight) still need names. The radio is functioning, but needs a lot of prettying up. It's a feature that might end up getting cut even at this early stage, so I'm not pouring a lot of effort into it just yet.

As a sound nerd I have to ask, what did you use for the music in that video? Stock music or MIDI+Soundfonts?

Also I don't think I've ever commented in this thread before, but I've lurked for a while. I dig your stuff.

The music is pre-rendered content from Kevin MacLeod, but I do intend to use MIDI+soundfonts for the final music, once I get a competent musician on board. Unless they can do much better and produce something that fits the art style, something that's nice yet simple sounding, of course! What was seen there was just a temporary preview, since I have absolutely no sound or music yet, and it's likely something I won't worry about until the project is close to finished.

1nBj4KR.png

Also, I've been busy. This is just one of six? planned poses that all female monster trainers will share in Storm Island. All clothing options/hair styles are modular and can be recolored to whatever the player would want.

Last edited:
And now, I've started work on probably the hardest part of the Storm Island project: monster designs. I'm not an artist by trade, and it takes a long time to get anything decent looking, so considering I have 105 monster designs I have to work on... I'm not looking forward to it. At least I've got two down:

v54YgEQ.png

And probably two of the easiest. Here's Toxx and Mercurious. Toxx is, predictably, a bubbling puddle of toxic slime. Mercurious is based on metals like gallium and mercury, in that it's little more than a puddle of metal. Toxx' design is something I'm happy with, but Mercurious... it's difficult to make it look like reflective metal. I might need to hire an actual artist for this project. >.>

7dClBwr.png

A bit of portrait work, based on the NPCs displayed above. I'm not sure I'm sold on any of it aside from the basic shape/eyes, but I put so much time into this I may as well share it. Haven't drawn the clothes yet.

yNFYgA1.png

Having a go at the dream world of Storm Island. I'm not sure how much it'll be featured (since it's not featured all that much in the story this game is based off of), but for now, it's where character creation is done.

I really like the look of the stars reflecting in the water. I'll have to see if I can do something like this for the rest of the game somehow.

The reflection of the stars on the water is gorgeous! And I really love the vibrant colors you used for the dream world, hopefully you'll be able to fit it in somehow. :D

Click the image above for a non-compressed version.

I'm experimenting a bit with a slightly less simplistic art style. Shrunk the trees down a bit, too, because working 48x96px trees into something that was 32x48px before was a god damn nightmare.

Looking at it, I might need to adjust the tallest, darkest grass a bit. It looks very out of place now. Maybe I can make them all curvy like the new, medium grass, rather than blocky.

Edit:
gtNYalf.png

It's quick, but making the tall grass a bit less blocky makes it look so much better.

Last edited:
sd3KEOk.png

I was dissatisfied with the way my brick buildings looked, so I altered them a bit to look more like turn-of-the-century architecture. I feel like I still have a long way to go.

Edit: It's worth mentioning the newer one is on the left.

Last edited:
FXTkEfJ.png

Back with another building, this time a skyscraper! This was my inspiration, at least for everything above ground level.

10RbLBx.png

Another day, another building design. This will be the standard look of all subway stations across Storm Island.

As usual, click for a full size view!
Remember this place? Well, I completely reworked it! It looks more like a town now, rather than a loose collection of shacks in a square clearing. I also altered the way stone terrain works, because I wasn't exactly happy with the perspective requirements the way Pokemon did it. Now the cliffs rise straight up, which is much less of a nightmare to work with. For the first time in ages, I feel like I'm happy with the way my maps are designed.

I'm not much of an artist, but sometimes I'm inspired or filled with sudden bursts of motivation. Tonight was one such night.

Ps2S4Y6.png

Hand drew every bit of the wooden pier, the character (Andrea) was lifted from previous work, and the Furret is a mashup of some official sprites. The wood texture is a bit repetitive, but considering it was made in the style of 16-bit tilesets, I think it looks fine enough.

I hand draw the stuff in MSPaint, then put the pieces together as a tileset using Game Maker Studio. For colors, I use a gradient creation tool I made last year, which creates four shades of the same color. The rest is trial and error with getting textures and shading right.

For what it's worth, the latest piece I posted (Andrea in the cavern) is actually a screenshot from an RPG engine I've been putting together for the past month.

Could have never figured out how you made these pieces, but they're outstanding. Why don't you try applying to Pokemon to see if you could become an artist for their games :eek:? Bit of a shame they permanently evolved in terms of graphics, as the GBA games like Fire Red and Ruby really stood out to me in terms of the bit graphics, but maybe because those were the first two Poke games I've ever played :coffee:...

I doubt I'd apply to become an artist with anything, let alone with the Pokemon Company. I'm just not at that level, and I don't see myself as the type of person with enough talent or the drive to do it as a career. Rather, it's something I can do at a mediocre level as I need it.

I do appreciate the sentiment, though. It's nice to get a bit of recognition of that type, even if it is a bit misplaced.

I doubt I'd apply to become an artist with anything, let alone with the Pokemon Company. I'm just not at that level, and I don't see myself as the type of person with enough talent or the drive to do it as a career. Rather, it's something I can do at a mediocre level as I need it.

I do appreciate the sentiment, though. It's nice to get a bit of recognition of that type, even if it is a bit misplaced.
Wouldn't keep it out of the picture, though. Keep up the great work, it's excellent!(y)

Moving backward a bit to work on something I was never really happy about: the grass.

4fFZ9dm.png

Old is on the left, new is on the right. Some work still probably needs to be done, but I like it a lot more now.

UJgRQfv.png

May as well alter the sand while I'm at it.

Last edited:

(click for 2x view)

I found a bit of free time today (more than I usually allow myself) and decided to draw another map to pass the time. I'm not sure if I'll make anything of it, as a majority of these locations don't have any names or ideas associated with them.

Here is what the map looks like without all of the roads and cities on it, if anyone is interested. Lots of low lying flatland in this one, I'm not sure if I like it.

Your map is interesting, but it is busy and navigating it would be like a maze. It would be very hard to use all of those routes ingame without a LOT of back tracking.

Back
Top Bottom