• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you SERIOUSLY live in the pokéverse if you could?

to be fair, in the games humans evolved from pkm, in fact, a few ppl actually have "types" so i guess that explains how the species survived pre historic times, and both have a fairly harmonic relationship.

well, true, no one is obligated to be a trainer, but look at the availble careers (the shown ones, at least), most, if not all of them, have something to do with pkm: builder? houses, gyms and a few office buildings (usually relating to pkm also). teacher? battles. tv host? talk about pkm. actor? act with pkm about pkm stuff. model? looks inspired by pkm. nurse? take care of pkm. cashier? sell pkm stuff. and look, what else the population talks about most of the time? pkm! so, i guess what i'm trying to say is that someone who doesn't like'm or doesn't feel inclined in either way maybe could be considered a "fish out of the water", now, one simply may not care about others' opinion and live just fine with ppl thinking they're weird or something, but since we never see a npc who specifically says they don't like pkm (at least i don't remember one), we don't know to which extent ppl's reaction might go, though thinking about it implies a lot of speculation and... c'mon o_O

the population would indeed be kinder, but i never could shake off the feeling they're... alienated... somehow

I shall just say this again: Not showing it on-screen =/= non-existing.

Though, any speculation about things not shown on-screen is just non-canon headcanon of the speculators. So how will be the life of pokemon-haters be in the Pokemon World? I don't know. But nonetheless it shall arouse some very good fanfic material.

Everyone in the Pokemon World talks about pokemon...... OK then, look at it from a different POV, everyone in the Real-Life talks about money, how much did you earn this month, how can one make a better saving by putting in another saving account, how can you increase your income by this and that, how to choose a better investment, how to find the same product with a cheaper price at another place, how to compare price of different shops, how the country's economy grow/drop....... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! All of these daily financial talkings I get from newspaper and magazines and TV and everyone from my surrounding make my head explode! I am no financial expert nor I majored in any finance-related subject, I'm sucks in managing my monthly income, I even hate to engage in conversation only centered around money. Within the society I'm living and within my work colleagues group, I'm an utter alien. But yet, I still live finely, all I do is just do my job and enjoy what I had received at the end of every month, never ponder deeply about tax and PAYE and pension and whatsoever.

Within the Pokemon World, I'm sure pokemon will just become a dedicated subject on its own to be talk about in every aspect and related to every other sectors. Much like finance in our world, despite you may never ever study finance-related subject and work in any finance-related work, at least one still need basic money-management knowledge to understand your weekly wages/monthly salary. In the Pokemon World, because the supernatural ability of pokemon can be utilize in every aspect of life, even you don't like it, you still need to understand it at the very basic level, because it will just come in handy. That is just life in this world.

The populations in Pokemon World felt alienated? IMO I don't think it is more alienated than the financers and top 10% wealthy people in our Real-Life. I am absolutely unable to empathize their lives to my life.

I shall just say this again: Not showing it on-screen =/= non-existing.

Though, any speculation about things not shown on-screen is just non-canon headcanon of the speculators. So how will be the life of pokemon-haters be in the Pokemon World? I don't know. But nonetheless it shall arouse some very good fanfic material.

Everyone in the Pokemon World talks about pokemon...... OK then, look at it from a different POV, everyone in the Real-Life talks about money, how much did you earn this month, how can one make a better saving by putting in another saving account, how can you increase your income by this and that, how to choose a better investment, how to find the same product with a cheaper price at another place, how to compare price of different shops, how the country's economy grow/drop....... AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! All of these daily financial talkings I get from newspaper and magazines and TV and everyone from my surrounding make my head explode! I am no financial expert nor I majored in any finance-related subject, I'm sucks in managing my monthly income, I even hate to engage in conversation only centered around money. Within the society I'm living and within my work colleagues group, I'm an utter alien. But yet, I still live finely, all I do is just do my job and enjoy what I had received at the end of every month, never ponder deeply about tax and PAYE and pension and whatsoever.

Within the Pokemon World, I'm sure pokemon will just become a dedicated subject on its own to be talk about in every aspect and related to every other sectors. Much like finance in our world, despite you may never ever study finance-related subject and work in any finance-related work, at least one still need basic money-management knowledge to understand your weekly wages/monthly salary. In the Pokemon World, because the supernatural ability of pokemon can be utilize in every aspect of life, even you don't like it, you still need to understand it at the very basic level, because it will just come in handy. That is just life in this world.

The populations in Pokemon World felt alienated? IMO I don't think it is more alienated than the financers and top 10% wealthy people in our Real-Life. I am absolutely unable to empathize their lives to my life.
you know, following the line of though that things may exist there even if it's not shown, made me think of something, it's just expeculation, but it doesn't sound like too much of a stretch to me: there're regions in which lives aren't centered around pkm and where ppl work "normal" jobs, in fact, it wouldn't differ from our own at all, with pkm being used exclusively as pets, very urban, but still different from the downtown-looking cities. pretty much like contryside and suburbs in our world, though i wouldn't see too much of the appeal in living there given that, well, i might as well live here. hmmm, a region where all the crazy stuff in the games don't happen.....

Welp, thats a tough one. On one hand, I'd get to have ACTUAL pokemon. On the other, I'd end up as a Phantump somewhere eventually. Plus, I agree with the HAZARDS. Throw away some old doll? Oops, now it's possesed and wants revenge.

Sure, why not. I still want to run my dual coffee shop/bar Normal gym so I'd say the more danger the merrier.

I probably won't live in pokeverse because it's way too dangerous. It will probably be very different from the games or the anime.

Give me a lifetime supply of Poké Balls and a few acres of grass to search for Pokemon to defend myself and I'm in. Also, preferably anywhere I can get a Pokemon from the Nidoran lines, so I guess Pewter or Fuchsia City... Come to think of it, probably Fuschia City, because the Safari Zone is cool.

100% yes, there might be dangers in that world but lets be honest there are dangers in this world too, and it is not like each and every pokemon wakes up in the morning and goes "today i think i will go kill a few people, destroy a town and break time" just like people (not all people anyway) wake up and go "today i am going to kill a few people, rampage in my underwear and go out in a blaze of glory all while singing the song "power"" (i like that example by the way made me almost smile) but my point being every pokemon is different same as people.

so back to my answer yes i would, because there would be boundless freedom, exploration, adventure and amazing times with my pokemon.

100% yes, there might be dangers in that world but lets be honest there are dangers in this world too, and it is not like each and every pokemon wakes up in the morning and goes "today i think i will go kill a few people, destroy a town and break time" just like people (not all people anyway) wake up and go "today i am going to kill a few people, rampage in my underwear and go out in a blaze of glory all while singing the song "power""
^This; if every animal in real life spontaneously decided to attack humanity, we'd be doomed, and they don't even have supernatural elemental-controlling abilities. And as クリスタル brought up, while understanding pokemon would be integral to society, I'm sure it's not the only thing people focus on.
That said, I don't think you can assume people would automatically be nicer and they'd have a better-structured society. Neither of those things have anything to do with the existence of pokemon. Pokemon society seems nice and happy overall, but that's because it's a series aimed at children and not sociology majors. :V Point being, there's probably a fair amount of jerks and societal issues in the pokemon world, we just don't see them. (We get a taste of the jerks via the meaner rivals and sometimes the evil teams, but that's another tangent....)

Anyhow, this is getting pretty long so I'll answer the question: if I had the option to ditch my current life in favor of living in the pokemon world, I think I'd pass. It has less to do with the issue of the pokemon world vs ours, and everything to do with the fact I personally don't like change.

I'd definitely like to have the option of switching between worlds. And my dogs would have to be turned into pet Pokemon. I wouldn't battle, though.

My answer to this really boils down to my usual "Eh, depends". There are a lot of things about the world the canon is vague or inconsistent on. Taking pokémon themselves for example, we don't really know how intelligent they are (Inconsistent, even within the same canon sometimes), how aggressive they usually are, or even how resilient they are without human technology.

I think it's reasonable to assume that a lot of what we don't see in the games - and the anime, for that matter - is more to do with the scope of the medium rather than the worldbuilding. Everyone appears to be pretty well obsessed with pokémon, but then that's because the focus is always on people whose lives would naturally revolve around pokémon. Should we assume that nobody drinks anything but water, lemonade or Generic Brand pop on the basis that we don't see anything else? Reasonably, no.

There's also the point to make that to an outsider looking in, pokémon are indeed awesome, but to someone living in that world, they would be ordinary. Animals in our own world are pretty damn amazing, but most people don't really pay that much attention to them. How can you really stay amazed and delighted by something you see every day? I think pokémon would be much the same

Probably not. For starters, I hate travelling so there's a big negative right there. Second, I'm pretty on and off with the video games as it is. I don't know how I'd get by in a world where I was forced to live and breed Pokémon. Third, I'd probably be very much against using Pokémon for battle. While I'm fine with the idea of Pokémon battles in a video game since they're obviously not real, I'd probably be more anxious about putting real creatures into fights. I own a cat and I'm very protective of him as it is, he's strictly an indoor cat. I can't even imagine having him fight, let alone a Pokémon I'd obviously bond with and consider family as well.

I would only do so either if the world works like I think it does, or I can at least live where no one can tell me what to do.

With the possibility of actual danger that could be life-threatening like in the games, probably not. If it's more like the anime, than yeah, because everyone in the anime is a goody-two shoes and the danger seems limited. XD

Absofrickinlutely! Can you imagine the road trips you'd have with your friends and your Pokemon?

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom