• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] The story of Sun&Moon

I feel that Clefairy would single out Moon as the canon version, but maybe I'm overthinking it.
I don't see any other Kanto 'mon that makes sense for her unless it's the "regular" form of a Pokémon that has an Alolan Form. Getting one of the standard starters of Kanto would just be cliche at this point.

I don't believe Lusamine can be redeemed in anyway. None of the villains in the pokemon franchise deserves redemption in my opinion. Team Rocket had killed a Marowak, Team Aqua and Magma almost killed everyone in the world with their plans with Groudon/Kyogre, Cyrus would have destroyed the galaxy/universe had his plan succeeded, Lsyandre tried to commit genocide in Kalos, Ghetsis was abusive to N and Lusamine completely disowned her kids for her own selfish reason.

Lusamine is absolutely despicable and it be amazing to see my character foil her plan.

I feel that Clefairy would single out Moon as the canon version, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

I think it'd be fine. Game Freak themselves have no interest in establishing an actual canonical version when it comes to the paired games; meanwhile, certain fans have always contrived all sorts of "evidence" that one version is "more canon," and yet, that's never been an issue on GF's part.

In any case, it seems like a stretch to me - "Clefairy is associated with the moon, so Moon = canon"? To flip it around, couldn't we say that for the "Sun equivalent," her choice reflects the day/night cycle? She evolved her first partner into Solgaleo (the sun), and then her second partner was connected to the moon. It at least works a lot better than Team Flare fueling their giant death ray with the Pokémon of life, who in the legends, releases life energy every 1,000 years - and even having one of the Scientists wonder what'll happen if they fuel their giant death ray with a Pokémon that releases life energy!

I'd prefer an Eevee that evolved into either Espeon or Umbreon depending on certain criteria.

I'd prefer that too, given that Eevee actually has some precedent as a Starter Pokémon (and I like the implication that comes with the potential evolutions being the Johto ones - because I'd obviously love for Johto to be in the games, but also, it's a good, quick way to show that these aren't just a simple Red/Blue remake). But I think Clefairy is a great second choice, if they don't want to go with Eevee.

I don't believe Lusamine can be redeemed in anyway. None of the villains in the pokemon franchise deserves redemption in my opinion. Team Rocket had killed a Marowak, Team Aqua and Magma almost killed everyone in the world with their plans with Groudon/Kyogre, Cyrus would have destroyed the galaxy/universe had his plan succeeded, Lsyandre tried to commit genocide in Kalos, Ghetsis was abusive to N and Lusamine completely disowned her kids for her own selfish reason.

Lusamine is absolutely despicable and it be amazing to see my character foil her plan.
Word!

If Lillie and Gladion can forgive Lusamine, who are we to call her despicable? AZ did a much worse thing and most characters and fans give him a free pass.

Also, even though she does say that she wants the beasts to destroy Alola (the reasoning escapes me), what she really wants is to stay in the Ultra Space with Nihilego (presumably to feel close to her husband). That's more pathetic than anything else.

Last edited:
If Lillie and Gladion can forgive Lusamine, who are we to call her despicable? AZ did a much worse thing and most characters and fans give him a free pass.

Also, even though she does say that she wants the beasts to destroy Alola (the reasoning escapes me), what she really wants is to stay in the Ultra Space with Nihilego (presumably to feel close to her husband). That's more pathetic than anything else.
She is despicable. Lillie and Gladion can be silly enough to forgive such an unforgivable character. Not me. She is beyond forgiving in my opinion.

@Silktree And let's not forget that 3000 years of walking the Earth and AZ still doesn't grasp the consequences of his actions outside of driving Floette away.

And if the reason to find a person irredeemable is because of how they treat their children...its kind of weird to not give them a chance when their children are willing to forgive. Do the victims not get a say in this?

Actually no it hasn't. It was only speculated in ORAS. Zinnia is someone who almost destroy Hoenn and the world with her schemes so taking her word is something I am not prepare to do. She could be lying or just making theories. Zinnia has no proof.

If that's what you want to believe, that's fine and dandy, but good luck trying to debate Anabel and you literally going through Ultra Space in SM.

Here's an idea.

You know how Lillie found a sparkling stone on the ground after Tapu Koko saves Nebby and the main character? Wouldn't it be a funny twist if the sparkling stone/Z-ring was meant for Lillie, rather than the player character? Lillie arguably has a big enough role in the games to warrant having a Z-ring of her own (and neither Lillie nor the player character were trainers at that point).

I know this is unlikely, but I just thought it would be amusing if the Z-ring wasn't intended for the main character at all.

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Memory Girl say that transferred Pokémon have a hard time recalling their memories?

Now, I'm not saying that they should be considered Fallers, but it is an interesting similarity.

Not only this but if you brought a Pokemon from RSE all the way over to ORAS they'd get some sort of ribbon that was awarded for the Pokemon traveling "through space and time" from Hoenn to Hoenn. So any Pokemon from Gen V or earlier are basically Fallers, although not canon considering very little of what the player does is considered canon (see Red).

Ya boy Guzma gets the best Heel Realization in the entire franchise. When Tabitha and Shelly called out Maxie and Archie, they were pleading with them. Guzma just sums it up in a truly elegant, heartfelt fashion worthy of on Oscar:
Y'all are STUPID!
It is truly the most eloquent phrase ever turned in the twenty year history of our beloved franchise.
god i love guzma

Last edited:
@Silktree And let's not forget that 3000 years of walking the Earth and AZ still doesn't grasp the consequences of his actions outside of driving Floette away.

And if the reason to find a person irredeemable is because of how they treat their children...its kind of weird to not give them a chance when their children are willing to forgive. Do the victims not get a say in this?

For some people, that's not good enough. It's nature for some individuals to automatically assume that if you do something wrong, you cannot, under any circumstances, EVER be redeemed. But to me, there's much more to it than that.

I think people give AZ a pass because A) you don't really run into him that often and barely factors into the story itself, and B) they found that a 3,000 year old guy who shuffles around that is 12 feet tall and has bionic limbs was cool. It's also part of the gender double standard when it comes to antagonists, and that's why having a female villain is so tricky; most people are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to male characters that do heinous crimes, but when a female does something dastardly (and was not designed to be obligatory eye candy), she's deemed a monster (well, worse things, but I can't post them here after my Malva spiel). Cryofreezing Pokémon and wanting to savor the Ultra Beasts, not to mention being a poor parent, does not bode well with Lusamine in terms of people respecting her, but the fact remains is that the story points out that Lusamine was not right in the head for a very long time. After her husband disappeared, she became deranged, and if the Pokedex entry for Nihilego is confirmed... Nihilego are parasites that actually draw out the worst in their hosts.

So... she's clearly not like some of the more rational villains, like Cyrus or Ghetsis, that clearly knew what they were doing.

@Vulcanos
Again, weird double standard that Lusamine's rationality is being called into question when we know she's been affected by a neurotoxin...yet Cyrus is being called "rational" because his solution to his childhood abuse is "create an entirely new universe with different laws that govern this fuzzy concept called the soul so we do not feel emotion". And Ghetsis fell off the deep end at the end of B2W2, and it was characterized as somewhat sympathetic.

And going back to AZ...he spent 3000 years wandering the Earth but at no point did he disable his ultimate weapon or even destroy the instructions on how to use it. He didn't even destroy the key that made it functional. He literally at no point showed remorse for what he did outside of hurting Floette, yet Lusamine starts to show that she still loves her kids even while she still has Nihilego's toxins in her...

...and we're not really talking about whether someone acted rationally or not. We're talking about how redeemable a character is, and quite frankly AZ (who isn't even that popular) is just as bad as any of the other villains, if not worse, in that regard and people give him a pass because of his ~tragic loss~

Lusamine lost someone too, and she just wanted them back like AZ. The difference is that Lusamine's actions were under the influence of Nihilego's toxins while AZ became immortal and at no point thought "hey maybe that weapon I created? destroy it!"

Spoiler because I rambled and it got long.

The story was pretty neat, definitely one of the more interesting plots of the main games. It's not BW-tier good, but a very fun and deep plot that sucks you in, made all the better by the already-immersive region and gameplay.

That being said, it's kind of flawed. The beginning gameplay is so constrictive. I can't even breathe without a million cutscenes where the characters say "Hey, do this. Something arbitrary is happening, and we can't let you move past until you do something we're forcing you to do" or having characters spout off their gimmicks. It's like every other game, except even slower and with more interruptions. They loosen the reigns up by the second island, and holy shit does it make the adventure more relaxing and fun.

The UB stuff, I felt, was underdeveloped in the main game. Most of what you got was side details, and it was barely relevant outside from a few parts of the story. I really wish they did more with Lusamine and the Ultra Beasts, because they were easily the most interesting storyline in the game. I could go to the post-game for UB stuff, but I'm sick and tired of seeing Looker all the time for 8 years.

Character-wise, eh. I didn't like Lillie; I liked her development, but her character throughout the game annoyed me. Her story aside, she constantly talked about how she wanted to shop for clothes but didn't, until she finally did WOW! And then she kept telling me how Nebby is a secret, despite the fact that the little shitter keeps running away and getting into danger like it's fucking Iris's Axew. But it's okay, because she's telling me about Nebby all the time anyway now that I know. And now Olivia and Mallow know because Kukui said it's okay, but this is ultimately pointless because they don't get involved in that plot anyway.

Hau was annoying. He's yet another generic friendly, happy rival, except he lags behind you and has a motivation in surpassing Hala. He's very dull, and his only interesting moments come from his interactions with Gladion. And you know what, Hau? Shut up about malasadas. Just shut up. Store-bought malasadas is disgusting.

Gladion, however, was great. He was moody and edgy and strong, but no one took his edginess seriously. (And we find out that his clothes look like shit because Silvally kept ripping them up. LOL.) He was pretty fun, and I appreciate that they made him dark and rude without being an annoying brat. Bonus points for his development and being able to side with you when needed, without being unnecessarily antagonistic while doing so. I still prefer Silver, but he was a breath of fresh air. My only complaint is how rare he appeared and how little you battled him.

As for the cameos of past characters: mostly pointless, aside from Anabel. I didn't want them to overtake the story and make it all about them, but they were all so underutilized. Grimsley and Colress could have been cut out completely (or, in Colress's case, replaced with a random NPC to give you the Drives), Burnet was barely seen despite being Kukui's wife. I might go see how Cynthia and Wally hold up, but I'm not even gong to bother with the Battle Maison Tree.

Trial Captains and Kahunas are neat. The Kahunas have great strategies and are decently powerful. The Captains were all so interesting and fun, and they were memorable even without much involvement to the story. The trials are fun, if repetitive and too easy. They were a breath of fresh air after Gyms, but I prefer Gyms if I'm being honest.

All-in-all, it was a good story with decent-good characters. It's a good start to the generation. Buuut I'll stick with XY until PokeBank comes out, so I can get a certain Pokemon for my Sun playthrough.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom