• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Did You Think About CN's Treatment Of Pokemon?

What did you think about Cartoon Network's treatment of Pokemon?

• They were great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They did alright

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • They were terrible

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RetroPokeFan

Reaction score
So the news is clear and we're all surprised...

Cartoon Network's time with Ash and Pikachu is well and truly up and next year they're gonna be passing the keys over to Mickey and Pals (Disney XD).

To some viewers it may come as a surprise as some wouldn't expect Cartoon Network to pass on the latest series of a long running show, to others they will be sighing a great sigh of relief, crossing their fingers and hoping that The House Of Mouse does a far better job than what Cartoon Network did.

A certain amount may be scratching their heads thinking what's going on.

But at the end of the day it's all said n done...

Pokémon's heading to Disney XD next year.

So now that Cartoon Network's time is drawing nearer and nearer to a close, it's time to ask the final question based around the channel.

What did you think about Cartoon Network's treatment of the anime?

While I admit CN didn't do much for Pokémon in it's final years on the channel, but I still think they did an alright job. They consistently put out new episodes practically every Saturday and it was a channel many houses got. In fact, more people get Cartoon Network than Disney XD, so that's one thing CN had going for it. It's a little sad seeing Pokémon be moved from a big channel like CN. But I'm going to hope Disney XD treats it better and maybe even allows for longer opening sequences.

Speaking as a foreigner here, so I don't know much how they handle it in the U.S, but for me, Cartoon Network was terrible.
They don't allow opening sequences longer than 30 seconds.
They can't handle opening variants (the intro sequences for Adventures in Unova were a total mess).
They can't handle title card variants (early XY seemed promising, then they stuck with Ash).

And if this move to Disney XD will affect us as well, I'm looking forward to finally have some translated logos for the intro instead of trashy voice-overs. Disney puts a lot of care on foreign localizations. Other channels just priorize Europe, at best. Oh, and I'd love to see some ads here.
Cartoon Network only has one ad in Latin America. They show it like twice a year or something. It's from Advanced Challenge. It's literally one-decade old.

Speaking as a foreigner here, so I don't know much how they handle it in the U.S, but for me, Cartoon Network was terrible.
They don't allow opening sequences longer than 30 seconds.
They can't handle opening variants (the intro sequences for Adventures in Unova were a total mess).
They can't handle title card variants (early XY seemed promising, then they stuck with Ash).

And if this move to Disney XD will affect us as well, I'm looking forward to finally have some translated logos for the intro instead of trashy voice-overs. Disney puts a lot of care on foreign localizations. Other channels just priorize Europe, at best. Oh, and I'd love to see some ads here.
Cartoon Network only has one ad in Latin America. They show it like twice a year or something. It's from Advanced Challenge. It's literally one-decade old.

To be fair, I'm not sure how much involvement Cartoon Network would have with the opening variants and the title cards. I'm pretty sure both of those issues, especially the title cards, has more to do with TPCI than mandates from Cartoon Network.

Cartoon Network's treatment of the series is akin to a roller coaster. It started off great. We got weekday premieres, which was a huge reason as to why we were able to shorten the gap between the two versions, there were frequent promos for the episodes and a marathon or two every year with the newest movies. But then it went downhill. They were consistent with putting out new episodes every week, which is good, but when they put the series on the 7AM death slot with no promotion and so little attention behind it, putting out episodes every week doesn't make up for that. Granted, there are other ways to watch the show legally nowadays, but good treatment on the air still counts for something. It's just insane to think of how much of a big deal they made when they got Pokemon premieres and now they're passing up on the newest series right before a new pair of games come out on the 20th anniversary.

Overall, it was good for awhile, but it's been pretty awful for the last couple of years. I just hope that the series finds better treatment on Disney XD.

From a fan who grew up watching the show on Cartoon Network and not Kids WB, Cartoon Network did okay in the beginning. They had many awesome commercials for the show, the marathon leading up to Diamond and Pearl, and the occasional airing of the movies.

I don't know what's up with the current managers of Cartoon Network (or Nickelodeon for that matter), but they need to stop acquiring shows and then death slotting them because they have no creative control over them or for the fact that they're action shows. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega follows TPCI and have Sonic Boom air on Disney XD.

I think Disney XD will treat the series better if going off shows like Pac-Man and The Ghostly Adventures and Yokai Watch. Both them had new episodes and reruns weekly around 4:00pm to 5:00pm.

I'm more appreciative of sister network Boomerang than I am of Cartoon Network, since they made a decent effort to rerun the older episodes.

The thing is, when I tuned into the premiere of Battle Frontier back in 2006, it took me a minute to realize the cast change. When I did, I wasn't happy. So began my preference for the 4Kids voices. (I've accepted the current voices since (I love XY), but that's beside the point)

Cartoon Network seemed to do a good job at giving the franchise decent exposure, what with regular new episodes and occasional marathons. I'm curious to see how Disney XD will handle the library, but I also want to know the legal details behind this transfer. Did Turner Broadcasting only have a ten-year contract, like how WB only had the first three movies for ten years?

I have not heard this news yet. Is there a link to the article/announcement so that I can read it?*

DisneyXD is not in my cable package. I have the most basic package available because that's all I really need. I don't need anything fancy with fancy channels.
So, great, if Cartoon Network is jettisoning Pokémon then I won't even be able to watch it anymore on tv. ugh....
Welp, thank Arceus for YouTube.

I've been watching the show since it was on KidsWB. When the show first started out it had decent time slots, if I remember correctly, and it got good promotion. I think when it switched over to CN, it started out well, too. But then over the years, the promotion and decent time slots seemed to start degenerating until now it's on at 7:00 in the morning when people who have the weekend morning off would just like to sleep in.

Geez, this makes me so angry. *rages*

*Edited to add: Never mind! I found the article link in another thread!

Last edited:
I thought they were fine, they were consistent on giving us content every Saturday and sure the openings felt and were rushed, but I thought the Dub did a good job with handling the stricter time limits and with Pokemon now being on XD, they can benefit more from there and get their name out more just like how Yokai-watch is supposedly doing.

To tell the truth, I did not see all of how they handled the dub, and it's been too long for me to remember how I felt when I did see it. The only comment I can make is the same comment that I can make of all children's television: that the commercials are far too annoying. My research, however, has shown me that in the end, pokemon was reduced to only one showing in the ENTIRE schedule, and it was only the new episode. No syndicated show should ever be treated like that. It is sad to see pokemon meet such a fate, but it is all too well known CN likes it's in house productions far more than anything else. The anime was foisted upon them from the start, they never wanted it, but ended up with it regardless. This was going to spell it's doom no matter what.

I like that they aired the movies only a few months after their Japanese theatrical releases but I hated that the film scores were replaced. I suppose that's more Pokemon Comany's fault.

To tell the truth, I did not see all of how they handled the dub, and it's been too long for me to remember how I felt when I did see it. The only comment I can make is the same comment that I can make of all children's television: that the commercials are far too annoying. My research, however, has shown me that in the end, pokemon was reduced to only one showing in the ENTIRE schedule, and it was only the new episode. No syndicated show should ever be treated like that. It is sad to see pokemon meet such a fate, but it is all too well known CN likes it's in house productions far more than anything else. The anime was foisted upon them from the start, they never wanted it, but ended up with it regardless. This was going to spell it's doom no matter what.

I wouldn't say that they never wanted it or that the show was forced upon them. If that was the case, I don't think that they would have kept the series on their lineup for over a decade. It's not like they actually needed whatever money they could get from airing Pokemon. If they didn't want the series on their lineup, Cartoon Network could have easily gotten rid of it a long time ago, but they didn't. I remember how Cartoon Network treated the series back when they first started airing premieres. There were quite a few promos for it, we got weekday premieres throughout Battle Frontier and even some of that continued on into the first DP season with some weeknight premieres, or at least we got that for the Hearthome Tag Battle arc. Even before they got premieres, Cartoon Network would air reruns of the series at a pretty good rate. I don't think that they aired all of the episodes from the first eight seasons, but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of those episodes did air on the channel at some point or another. Again, that doesn't sound like a channel that had the series forced upon them or didn't want to get premieres from the start.

Cartoon Network was happy about having Pokemon once upon a time, they did make a big deal about getting premieres and they did treat it pretty well for quite some time. And their change towards the series was a more gradual change than happening all of a sudden.

I remember that emphasis at the beginning. They packed it with like minded shows like Ben 10, Xiaolin Showdown, & Team Galaxy.

I'd say the romance period lasted 1 year.

But, Cartoon Network, like most networks, is fickle with even their own shows. You have no idea that Adventure Time is in its final season, considering they air only first run episodes at bad times with no advertising. Meanwhile, The Amazing World of Gumball & Teen Titans GO! air virtually 8 hours a day combined.

Terrible, honestly, they didn't care about it all since the middle of BW and by XY, it got ads maybe once a year.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom