• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will SM have a low number of major battles?

Keshav

Reaction score
The games have finally released. After playing it, one can easily see the low number of battles present in the games. The same will happen to the anime. Previously, there were 8 gyms, 8 battles. Now there are:
4 Kahunas
The elite four(Ash wouldn't reach here obviously)
Champion( same for the champion)

The rest are all battles against wild pokemon and totem pokemon. They are trained by the captains for the trial but since they are without are trainer, they use no strategy. Lesser battles means lesser seriousness, which would contribute to the overall lighthearted atmosphere.

Yeah, this seems like it'll be a big weakness of the SM series. What major battles do we have to look forward to? Well, four Kahuna battles spread out over 3-4 years. I really do hope the writers have something other than planned, as the action the battles provide is the main reason I like this anime.

I mean are they going to use that bump in animation quality only on funny expressions and generic Team Rocket battles?...

- Totem Pokemon.
- Team Skull.
- Aether Foundation.
- Trial Captains (the anime could easily make them battle)
- Island Kahunas.
- Random trainers/battles of the episode.
- Rivals. (Hau/Gladion/anime-original rival)
- Pokemon League. (yes that's right, Alola does have a League lol)

People are completely overreacting. It's like they're being negative on purpose or something.

- Totem Pokemon.
- Team Skull.
- Aether Foundation.
- Island Kahunas.

People are completely overreacting. It's like they're being negative on purpose or something.

On the top of that, they could also make a minor tournament thingy for qualifying to the league, and then a larger tournament which we usually have.

- Totem Pokemon.
- Team Skull.
- Aether Foundation.
- Island Kahunas.

There haven't been any 'real' trainer battle against the evil teams in the anime. Totem pokemon are pokemon after all and they would surely not be able to pull out strategies like any other gym leader would do. Trial captains are a good option tho. Gladion's appearance depends on whether the anime is adapting the plot from the games or not. I don't see Lillie with a cosmog in the anime so this might just be a different story.
The league will surely be there since it's present in the games.

There haven't been any 'real' trainer battle against the evil teams in the anime. Totem pokemon are pokemon after all and they would surely not be able to pull out strategies like any other gym leader would do. Trial captains are a good option tho. Gladion's appearance depends on whether the anime is adapting the plot from the games or not. I don't see Lillie with a cosmog in the anime so this might just be a different story.
Did you even watch the first two episodes? Ash and Kiawe battled Team Skull grunts in the very first episode.

There are mostly 1vs2-3 battles with the villainous teams, so that's probably why you don't notice them too much. But they still add to a Pokemon's personality. And we still don't know Ash's main rival for the series. I hope for Gladion as the main rival with a Decidueye and Silvally, and Hau as the secondary rival with Alolan Raichu.

All 7 trial captains do battle in the games. So what if they don't hand out badges?

7 captains and 4 kahunas already make for more content than 8 gyms. Add 7 Totem Pokemon, which are superpowered Pokemon that command other Pokemon, and I really don't see the problem.

The higher number of good animators now working on the series will likely provide for more high quality fight scenes, so we're still in for fun.

The games have finally released. After playing it, one can easily see the low number of battles present in the games. The same will happen to the anime. Previously, there were 8 gyms, 8 battles. Now there are:
4 Kahunas
The elite four(Ash wouldn't reach here obviously)
Champion( same for the champion)

The rest are all battles against wild pokemon and totem pokemon. They are trained by the captains for the trial but since they are without are trainer, they use no strategy. Lesser battles means lesser seriousness, which would contribute to the overall lighthearted atmosphere.

Eh, I dunno. The anime often adds things that aren't in the games so I don't think more battles are out of the question. I wouldn't assume so quickly that totem Pokemon battles won't be strategic either.

If this is true then I guess I should expect less of Ash. If Ash is not going a decent amount of major battles then the series would be a bit bland in my opinion.

What about battle royales? Do you guys they'll implement those in the anime? Ash could do a battle royale sometime throughout the series
I sure hope they figure out a way to do this. I imagine a free for all battle might be tougher to choreograph, but I don't think its impossible for them to do. I'm hoping Professor Kukui will eventually introduce everyone to it.

Since when has a series of this anime followed its generation of paired games down to every single little aspect? Sorry, I can't not see this as more SM pessimism. We're not even five episodes in yet.

I'm pretty sure they'll find some reasonable way to stretch out Sun and Moon's plot into 100+ lumps of approximately 20 minutes. It happened with XY, remember?

Trials alone have a lot more potential than gym battles have ever had in this anime.

The gym battles always follow the boring 3 v 3 format whereas trials have potential for lots of hilarious moments + epic battles. Totem Pokemon can call for help (an indefinite number of times until the Totem Pokemon in question actually faints) and they are actually pretty strategic and challenging during the battle which makes them tough opponents. Coupled with the aura surrounding them which makes them stronger than a regular Pokemon, we're looking at upgraded gym battles.

The only question I have regarding Totem Pokemon battles is how many Pokemon Ash will use. Like, will he stick to one Pokemon or actually switch them out? Will he battle 1 vs 2 like it is the case in the games?

3 v 3 format

It's not boring if they would use difrent pokemon, more dual typed and use more moves(with effects) and abilities with strategies.

Plus we may get 6 vs6 at some point. (Kahunas and one with Cynthia, Ash needs to battle her fully once)

Maybe its a Pokemon league? 4 class mates could become gym leaders, then there are 4 other that can also take that role.

We now can have double and royal battles too.

Don't know how they will do totem battles but hope for more good regular ones.

I think the trial will be real battles in the anime and I can see major team changes for some of the trainers.

Hala may get other fighting types in anime then in the games.

-Maybe they will show a big Pokemon league between all regions in future?
If there are 12 Pokemon Leagues, then maybe You need to win one or two to take part in the Great(World) Pokemon Legaue where all trainers from all generations meet.

(Imagine to battle all Elite Four, Pokemon Champions, Red, Blue and others from all Generations and future Genartions)

I can see this coming. Maybe not now but in future generations they will mention it. This would be a big goal for the next five generations that will come.

Also Ash needs to battle a Shedinja, Mega Venusaur, Mega Kangaskhan and others and win.

Last edited:
I haven't gone through too many of the trials yet, but I don't think that they will have a low amount of major battles. They can make the trials and the grand trials last awhile and I'm sure that there are some ways for them to stretch out SM for at least three years. It's just assuming a lot based on very little information.

I'm also going to edit the title since this is speculation rather than actual confirmation and I don't want to spread false information about the series.

I haven't gone through too many of the trials yet, but I don't think that they will have a low amount of major battles. They can make the trials and the grand trials last awhile and I'm sure that there are some ways for them to stretch out SM for at least three years. It's just assuming a lot based on very little information.

I'm also going to edit the title since this is speculation rather than actual confirmation and I don't want to spread false information about the series.
The games have enough content for the anime to run 3 years. But that content doesn't contain that many battles like the previous games.

The games have enough content for the anime to run 3 years. But that content doesn't contain that many battles like the previous games.
It does though.

Totem Pokemon battles are like gym leader battles. And even though Trial Captains aren't fought initially, the anime could make it so Ash does fight them. Coupled with the Kahunas of each island AND the Pokemon League, there's plenty of battles to go around.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom