• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gengars change of ability from Levitate to Cursed Body? [Vote]

Your opinion of Levitate ->Cursed Body?

• I only want Cursed Body

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
what do you think about the change of it's ability?
You have 3 Responses.

Last edited:
Never cared for Gengar as a Pokemon. I can see the appeal, but it never spoke to me, so in a vacuum I can say I don't care about the ability change either way. However, I predict that Gengar's nerf is going to make way for Pokemon I do care about (like Decidueye) to become more viable, so in that sense, I love the nerf.

Never cared for Gengar as a Pokemon. I can see the appeal, but it never spoke to me, so in a vacuum I can say I don't care about the ability change either way. However, I predict that Gengar's nerf is going to make way for Pokemon I do care about (like Decidueye) to become more viable, so in that sense, I love the nerf.

I understand your point o view. You can vote I made a response for You.

I also like changes, but would rather like buffs, adding the new things, a posibilitty of choice then a total change/nerf by taking something totally away after 6 generations.

Some nerfs don't make sense.
Why did they nerf the legendary hounds when they created Ultra beasts?

Decidueye would need Thousand Arrows, then Gengar would be taken care of.

Last edited:
I understand your point o view. You can vote I made a response for You.

I also like changes, but would rather like buffs, adding the new things, a posibilitty of choice then a total change/nerf by taking something totally away after 6 generations.

Some nerfs don't make sense.
Why did they nerf the legendary hounds when they created Ultra beasts?

Decidueye would need Thousand Arrows, then Gengar would taken care of.

I agree that the nerf to the Legendary beasts is nonsensical and I hate that they did it. Unlike Gengar, I actually like the Legendary beasts though (well, 2/3 of them anyway) so I care that they got weakened. Not that it affects me personally because I don't have any HA beasts, but it's the principle of the the thing.

Decidueye is not getting Thousand Arrows until Zygarde has had a chance to play with it for a good long while. You don't see any Pokemon throwing around Aeroblasts, Roars of Time, Spatial Rends, Judgments, Origin Pulses, Precipice Blades, Dragon Ascents, Psystrikes, Geomancies, Oblivion Wings, Sunsteel Strikes, or Moongeist Beams besides their signature wielders, do you? In fact, the only Major Legendary signature move I think has been made naturally available to other Pokemon is Sacred Fire. And even that is only shared with a Minor Legendary that happens to have an in-universe connection to Ho-Oh itself.

I don't care either way. Gengar still contributed to the mopping-of-the-floor-with-me that was the sixth trial regardless of its Ability.

Last edited:
I'm glad for the nerf, as Gengar has been pretty powerful for a very long time. Plus I just really don't like it, as it's EVERYWHERE. Most other Ghost-types rarely get any focus anymore, especially since Gengar got a Mega. I doubt the nerf will downsize it much, but if it makes Gengar less common, then I'm fine with it. And now other Ghost-types can get a little more wiggle room in gaining some more usage, which would be good, as Ghost Mons tend to be pretty flexible and multi-talented. But I voted for both love the nerf and don't care, the former of which is because I've come to hate Gengar, and the latter of which is because the nerf won't downsize it much either way.

I say Gengar should keep levitate as primary ability. Immunity to Ground is pretty good. Cursed Body could be hidden ability.

At first I voted "don't care," but then Envoy brought up that it could possibly make Deci more viable. I had to change it to "I love the nerf" solely for that reason.

Thematically, I must admit the nerf does make sense considering how Gengar is depicted touching the ground more often than not. However, if one was to follow Gengar's theme entirely Shadow Tag would have been a better fitting ability replacement imo especially when you consider its pokedex entries (with the dex entry in Sun easily coming to mind to back this claim up). The choice of Cursed Body feels a bit random to me though (even if Cursed Body could potentially have some potential if tweaked to be made more reliable) and I personally would have preferred it to be something like Infiltrator. Long story short while I don't mind the removal of Levitate, I would rather have seen a more fitting ability being chosen in its place

Would have rathered they kept Levitate and made Cursed Body his Hidden Ability~ I'm not fond of retcons that take away an Ability it had for Generations and now no longer canonically has~

Regardless, I never use Gengar Competitvely, so the change has no real effect on me, but still not totally a fan~

I admit, I'm fond of Gengar so this nerf hit home a bit, but I do agree that Gengar is overused in play. Other Ghost types deserve more use.

I voted to buff Cursed Body, Maybe buff it from 30% to 60% for direct contact moves?

When it was rumoured that Gengar's lost Levitate, it admittedly sounded exciting that its ability was changed to Cursed Body. I supposed if certain levitating Pokemon can get away with vulnerability to Ground like Magnemite and Munna, then they must have thought that Levitate could be replaced. Although Cursed Body is not a bad ability (remember, unlike certain status-based abilities, it can affect non-contact moves), perhaps there are other better abilities.

One suggestion was Shadow Tag, but I think that will make Gengar worse, in that it becomes much too good that it will be banned for not having alternatives. Somehow, I liked the thought of Soundproof as the ability since this allows Gengar to use Perish Song more liberally. Also, it can set up Substitutes more safely and more easily counter some sound-reliant users.

Thanks for reading.

it has 4 signature moves? not too much for 1 legendary?
1.Thousand Arrows -90BP- One that takes ability, one that takes flying/levitating and hits pokemon using Fly, Bounce, and Sky Drop.
2. Lands Wrath- 90 BP - One that hits all targets.
3.Core Enforcer -100 BP- deals damage. If the target has already used a move in the same turn, its Ability will be negated when it is hit by Core Enforcer.
4.Thousand Waves-90BP-prevents foes from fleeing or switching out as long as the user remains in battle.

Only a Idea, it would have been perfect with a Arrow Quil pokemon...
Zygarde is the one that gets all 4, but there could be some pokemon that could learn one of those.

I wondered if they could make Thousand Arrows a priority move?
Like First Impression or Extream Speed. It would not need so much Power then.

Gengar , ghost/poison , speed 110, I know why they wanted to nerf it but It would be better to buff some ground type and ground moves and give them to some more pokes.

If the catch rate of a Gengar with Cursed Body would be 80% and that with Levitate only 20% then it would be ok. They could make that when a mega transforms back; from mega to regular; then it lost a turn of attack or something.
I would rather have a option of Gengar with Leviate/Cursed Body then total change.

Last edited:
One suggestion was Shadow Tag, but I think that will make Gengar worse, in that it becomes much too good that it will be banned for not having alternatives. Somehow, I liked the thought of Soundproof as the ability since this allows Gengar to use Perish Song more liberally. Also, it can set up Substitutes more safely and more easily counter some sound-reliant users.

Thanks for reading.
The only reason I mentioned Shadow Tag was strictly from a thematic standpoint, namely due to how Gengar is depicted as in its pokedex entries. Competitively such a change would give little reason to use Gengar over its mega except maybe for full offensive sets since iirc Life Orb Gengar has a higher damage output than Mega Gengar.

If taking the competitive factor into account while also trying to give it a fitting ability, my choice would have fallen on either Infiltrator or Prankster

Hate this so much. Being affected by terrains doesn't make up for the loss of those switch in opportunities and Cursed Body isn't useful for a frail Pokémon. If I wanted my Gengar to stop their moves, I'd use SubDisable.

This is what convinced me to not get Sun and Moon. It's a way of voicing my dissatisfaction.

Decidueye would need Thousand Arrows, then Gengar would taken care of.
The issue of Decidueye vs Gengar isn't that it can't hit Gengar with a super effective ground type move...it already gets Spirit Shackle which would naturally hit Gengar and do more damage...

...the issue is that as a ghost type whose gimmick is trapping Pokemon, Gengar has Decidueye beat.

@Envoy
Regarding this point, Dhelmise is also a thing. It's type is identical, similar defensive stats and better physical attack, it has a trapping move that normal types don't have an immunity to, and its speed stat is low enough to be usable under Trick Room...so we can probably just admit that Game Freak hates the starters.

This is what convinced me to not get Sun and Moon. It's a way of voicing my dissatisfaction.
You're probably going to have to quit the series then...

Also as far as the Double Battle metagame is concerned (which is the only thing GF is concerned about, it seems), Gengar actually gets a fairly good boost from being grounded. If you're not using Mega Gengar, you are now immune to a vast majority of priority moves with Psychic Terrain, and the presence of Grassy Terrain means less Earthquake spam.

Last edited:
You're probably going to have to quit the series then...
Or just wait for a better second or hidden ability like almost every other Pokémon without Levitate.

My personal feelings aside, this comes across as a half done job. How many other non-legendary Pokémon without Levitate have a single ability that doesn't completely define what they do? Gengar's not Slaking or Aegislash, there's no reason to have just one ability now.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom