• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gengars change of ability from Levitate to Cursed Body? [Vote]

Your opinion of Levitate ->Cursed Body?

• I only want Cursed Body

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay well from a lore and realistic standpoint, it makes sense. Gengar stands on the ground in every rendition of artwork or sprites depicting him.

From a competitive standpoint, as others have mentioned, with the likely coming of terrain wars, he does get a few boosts by being grounded.

Or just wait for a better second or hidden ability like almost every other Pokémon without Levitate.

My personal feelings aside, this comes across as a half done job. How many other non-legendary Pokémon without Levitate have a single ability that doesn't completely define what they do? Gengar's not Slaking or Aegislash, there's no reason to have just one ability now.

The irony here is that you have Mega Gengar all over your profile, which already lost Levitate, in a way this incentivizes use of M-Gengar over Gengar, doesn't it? It's not like this makes Gengar a bad Pokemon. I can think of plenty of Pokemon just like him that survive just fine without a Ground immunity or even a Ground weakness. I get that it's your favorite Pokemon, we all have one, but Gengar is still a very fearsome Pokemon, that'll never change. Also, technically, Gengar was originally affected by Ground-type, as you probably know, Gen I and II didn't have abilities, and Gengar was even more fearsome back then.

Would have rathered they kept Levitate and made Cursed Body his Hidden Ability~ I'm not fond of retcons that take away an Ability it had for Generations and now no longer canonically has~

Regardless, I never use Gengar Competitvely, so the change has no real effect on me, but still not totally a fan~

As I mention above, it originally wasn't immune to Ground-types, if we want to get nostalgic, he wasn't meant to be. Besides, common sense says he shouldn't be. He's standing on the ground. Unlike Gastly and Haunter, who do actually float, Gengar doesn't.

Last edited:
Or just wait for a second or hidden ability like almost every other Pokémon without Levitate. My personal feelings aside, this comes across as a half done job. How many other non-legendary Pokémon without Levitate have a single ability that doesn't completely define what they do? Gengar's not Slaking or Aegislash, it has no reason to have just one ability now.
If your issue is the removal of levitate...it's not going to get anything comparable as a second or hidden ability, which makes this whole boycott until a new ability comes along kind of...trivial. It's not going to get a new ability that makes up for the loss of immunity so the only draw to it is Mega Gengar.

@Envoy
Regarding this point, Dhelmise is also a thing. It's type is identical, similar defensive stats and better physical attack, it has a trapping move that normal types don't have an immunity to, and its speed stat is low enough to be usable under Trick Room...so we can probably just admit that Game Freak hates the starters.

Dhelmise is definitely a thing and I cannot understand why they made such a similar (possibly better) Pokemon to Decidueye on the same games that Deci debuts in. My theory is that the Pokemon are all made by different developers and they have some seriously poor communication skills. So one guy said "Hey, let's make a Grass/Ghost with a damaging Mean Look" and on the other side of the office, some other guy said "Hey, let's make a Grass/Ghost with a damaging Mean Look" and the two never bothered to talk to each other. <.<

That, or they kept trying to one-up each other (and the Dhelmise guy won.)

I know that's probably not what happened, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Still, ultimately I do think that the two of them are going to find different niches. Deci does have U-Turn and Roost, as well as Boosting Moves/Baton Pass while Dhelmise has some nice bulky offense and triple STAB to consider. If they do end up not cutting each other off, however, I think it'll be purely on accident.

Gengar ghost/poison and with 110 speed and has a mega with Shadow Tag,
Decidueye would need the Disquise ability to survive longer for a counter to have a real chance to counter.

I dont think they hate the starters, I think they want Decidueye to get Discuise bacuse of the hood, but wait to see what the players think.
(Maybe to not over power now one of the starter in comparance to past generations, but they could make:
- Chesnaught learn Sucker Punch
- starters could learn something (Chesnaught- Draco Hammer- add effect, make it work like those moves who work like Mold Breaker) to hit through it.

For me There where more options to nerf Gengar better then taking him Levitate, make the moves that negate Levitate/flying stronger and work longer (Smak Down- could make it a priority move), make Telekinesis and Gravity hurt flying and levitating foes like Sonic Boom does.
Maybe by making moves that cause flying/levitating foes to have greater chance of flinching (50% when levitate and flying type is activated) and not only make them grounded for 2-3 turns?

Last edited:
Gengar ghost/poison and with 110 speed and has a mega with Shadow Tag,
Decidueye would need the Disquise ability to survive longer for a counter to have a real chance to counter.

I dont think they hate the starters, I think they want Decidueye to get Discuise bacuse of the hood, but wait to see what the players think.

I......wat.

Regular Gengar doesn't need to ditch levitate. It is already weak to Psychic, Ghost and Dark. Doesn't need to gain Ground weaknesses. Mega Gengar is okay as it gains a 100 boost to BST.

Still, ultimately I do think that the two of them are going to find different niches. Deci does have U-Turn and Roost, as well as Boosting Moves/Baton Pass while Dhelmise has some nice bulky offense and triple STAB to consider. If they do end up not cutting each other off, however, I think it'll be purely on accident.
Well...they'll never really be on the same team because of identical weaknesses so they're bound to compete in that regard. If we put Gengar back in the mix, as this is a Gengar topic, I still think it would do better than the other two. It has Toxic immunity, its offensive potential isn't curbed by Burn, and Shadow Tag is still better than the other two moves.

Well...they'll never really be on the same team because of identical weaknesses so they're bound to compete in that regard. If we put Gengar back in the mix, as this is a Gengar topic, I still think it would do better than the other two. It has Toxic immunity, its offensive potential isn't curbed by Burn, and Shadow Tag is still better than the other two moves.
If we're going by typing alone, then both Deci and Dhelmise would have to compete for a team slot with Trevenant and Gourgeist as well. Ultimately I think all of these Pokemon will, in general, fill different niches and thus not compete with each other too much, but that may just be the optimist in me being optimistic.

Isn't Mega Gengar banned in OU? You're completely right about Shadow Tag in VGC and other such formats though. In addition, pairing Gengar with Tapu Bulu helps to mitigate that new Ground weakness, so it's not like Gengar has no options left or anything.

Still, with Cursed Body as opposed to Levitate, the decision becomes less clear. You could make a case for using Decidueye or Dhelmise over Gengar instead of immediately admitting that Gengar is superior in every way, and that's significant.

Isn't Mega Gengar banned in OU? You're completely right about Shadow Tag in VGC and other such formats though. In addition, pairing Gengar with Tapu Bulu helps to mitigate that new Ground weakness, so it's not like Gengar has no options left or anything.
People are upset about Gengar in terms of Smogon tier metagame, but the official VGC metagame actually makes this a good trade off. Earthquake aside, Gengar also takes advantage of Psychic Terrain since it'll be prevented from being hit by priorities.

Still, with Cursed Body as opposed to Levitate, the decision becomes less clear. You could make a case for using Decidueye or Dhelmise over Gengar instead of immediately admitting that Gengar is superior in every way, and that's significant.
If we're talking OU, I don't think Decidueye was ever going to compete with Gengar since its non-Mega wouldn't be a trapper.

If we do remove trapping from everyone, Dhelmise gets a niche as a Rapid Spinner and a rapid spin blocker (of course Defog is also a thing)

Eh, I don't really care too much. I mean, Gengar doesn't appear to be floating, so Levitate doesn't make too much sense on it. But considering M-Gengar's viability, Levitate isn't integral to its effectiveness.

but in the anime and games it was with Levitate for 6 generations.
Its ability was mentioned so many times.

DP102 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

"Ash is ready to battle Hearthome Gym Leader Fantina for the second time"

"Gengar's Ability, Levitate, makes it hard to hit"

they need to change it back or make one secondary/hidden.

Or maybe they only want to test Cursed Body Gengar for future Generation to add it?
(next step- stones that buff abilities or would allow on pokemon in your party to use all it's species abilities, or both things at the same time- only 1 in your party as a counter to Z-moves and Megas)

Decidueye: attack 107 defense 75 sp. attack 100 sp. def 100

Theoretically both are ghost, both can use curse, taking that Gengar with Shadow snek, Sucker Puinch can't one hit KO Decidueye physically, but on the special side is also not that good becuse Decidueye is neutral to poison even if Gengar hits it with Shadow Ball it has a chance to survive, so Gengar will eventually get Cursed and would need to switch out or would KOed by Spirit Shackle?

The idea of Discuise Deciduey maybe to akward and maybe the poke would be to strong, but what other way to protect it from the Flying type moves of Greninja? Make it gain immunity to flying type attacks?

Its ability was mentioned so many times.

DP102 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

"Ash is ready to battle Hearthome Gym Leader Fantina for the second time"

"Gengar's Ability, Levitate, makes it hard to hit"

they need to change it back or make one secondary/hidden.

Or maybe they only want to test Cursed Body Gengar for future Generation to add it?

I don't see what the big deal is, they change things all the time - just look at the amount of retcons in Gen VI as a result of the Fairy type.

I don't see what the big deal is, they change things all the time
Some things are like tradition. See Alolan Digglet. If they wanted to change Gengar why then not made a Alolan version?
Maybe it's with this ability only in Alola?

If we're talking OU, I don't think Decidueye was ever going to compete with Gengar since its non-Mega wouldn't be a trapper.

If we do remove trapping from everyone, Dhelmise gets a niche as a Rapid Spinner and a rapid spin blocker (of course Defog is also a thing)

I think Defog on a spinblocker is inferior to regular ol' Rapid Spin because Defog would remove your own hazards too.

Gengar possesses the ability to fly through the air, as demonstrated in the anime.

But it doesnt learn fly , phantom force or bounce???
It's dex entries are interesting, every where is mentioned that it brings cold. But it only learns a physical ice type move.
It say to steal life force but only got Dream Eater.
Shadow Sneak?

Maybe they will buff its moveset more or let Levitate get back?

The games and the anime are different continuities. Just FYI.

but the polls results are hinting what players want.
There better ways to nerf Gengar. Let us choose the abilities for sake.
There maybe in future a flying/levitating only entry hazard in future.

The idea of Discuise Deciduey maybe to akward and maybe the poke would be to strong, but what other way to protect it from the Flying type moves of Greninja? Make it gain immunity to flying type attacks?

I really don't know why are you trying to make Decidueye into a Greninja-Counter...

Theoretically both are ghost, both can use curse, taking that Gengar with Shadow snek, Sucker Puinch can't one hit KO Decidueye physically, but on the special side is also not that good becuse Decidueye is neutral to poison even if Gengar hits it with Shadow Ball it has a chance to survive, so Gengar will eventually get Cursed and would need to switch out or would KOed by Spirit Shackle?

Gengar doesn't ever run physical sets so that shouldn't even be given as an example. Anyway, I have a question: on what exactly do you base your claims on? Unless Decidueye puts any sort of defensive investment, Gengar gets a clean OHKO with Shadow Ball. But put in some defensive investment and this is what you get

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Decidueye: 244-291 (67.7 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only chance Decidueye has in this matchup is if it uses Spirit Shackle to OHKO back (which it does btw). Deciding to use Curse in this matchup is nothing more than wasting a team slot on your end.

That brings me to the second point, you mention Curse (when used by Ghost types) as if it was a good move to use competitively when it isn't. Even in Trevenant's case, who is imo the best/only ghost pokemon that could actually run Curse in a moveset, it is little more than a gimmick due to how overly reliant he is to have its Sitrus recycled through Harvest. Maybe if Decidueye was faster (100-110 base speed tier) it could have been an interesting option to use Curse along with Roost but that's not how things turned out to be.

Gengar doesn't ever run physical sets so that shouldn't even be given as an example. Anyway, I have a question: on what exactly do you base your claims on? Unless Decidueye puts any sort of defensive investment, Gengar gets a clean OHKO with Shadow Ball. But put in some defensive investment and this is what you get

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Decidueye: 244-291 (67.7 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The only chance Decidueye has in this matchup is if it uses Spirit Shackle to OHKO back (which it does btw). Deciding to use Curse in this matchup is nothing more than wasting a team slot on your end.

That brings me to the second point, you mention Curse (when used by Ghost types) as if it was a good move to use competitively when it isn't. Even in Trevenant's case, who is imo the best/only ghost pokemon that could actually run Curse in a moveset, it is little more than a gimmick due to how overly reliant he is to have its Sitrus recycled through Harvest. Maybe if Decidueye was faster (100-110 base speed tier) it could have been an interesting option to use Curse along with Roost but that's not how things turned out to be.
To add to this, Deci really has no business trying to beat Gengar. What it needs is a reason to be used instead of Gengar.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom