• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favorite Character [Spoilers]

Arceus the Dragon

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Basically opposite of Favorite Character thread. Post who is your less favorite character of Sun and Moon.

Mine is Lillie because I do not feel connected to that character and she seems irrelevant in my opinion.

Mina. I don't really dislike her or anything, but she feels like an afterthought, especially since the final trial has nothing to do with her, and we don't get to interact with her as much as we do with the other captains.

Like I said in the other thread, I find both Lillie and Hau unbearable. I want to get rid of them.

Lillie, I feel, was too safe a character. Her story, background and development are great, but everything outside of that is so boring. Like they tried to make her too vulnerable, innocent and cute so you can protect her. She feels like a generic non-combatant love interest from a shonen anime.

I don't dislike her, but I like her the least out of the main cast.

Behind her is Hau. Another happy, friendly rival, but this time he lags behind you instead of being ahead of you. It's nice that he can stay happy under pressure, but that's boring in the wake of Bianca, Barry, and even Shauna and Calem/Serena, where their low and sad moments made for great additions to their characters. He had great chemistry with Hau, but other than that he was really just the same old model with a few tweaks, a fresh coat of paint, and more interesting interactions with others. But I can sort of, almost like him simply because of his solid design and his scenes with Gladion.

Nanu!

These people exist in real life, constantly miserable and down, always killing the mood for everyone else, a complete downer.

I don't really have any characters I dislike yet in the game, and I'm almost done (I'm glad for this, Sun and Moon has some strong characters). The only one I just found myself not caring about was Mallow. I just don't find anything really special about her for some reason.

Mina and Kahili. They both have an awesome design and get no use at all in game. Wasted opportunity, even if they are stylish.

Kahili was a strange one, just dropped in randomly at the end. They explained Acerola as Nanu not wanting the job, so passing it down to one of his captains, but why was Hapu skipped over? Is Kahili even from Poni Island, she has the Ula'Ula Oricorio?

Haven't beaten the game yet but Hau hasn't done much to win me over yet.

I felt lusmine was under developed she is ather president and has an issue with controlling others because her childern ran away. Fine thats cool, but why is she obsessed with ultra beasts? gladion explains it as their father went missing in a worm hole but then she should have an obsession about finding him not destorying alola with ultra beasts....

Also if she wanted to find him maybe she should have pressed x and clicked on pokepalgeo

Fine thats cool, but why is she obsessed with ultra beasts? gladion explains it as their father went missing in a worm hole but then she should have an obsession about finding him not destorying alola with ultra beasts....

I don't think it's odd that after years of searching for Mohn, which would have involved a lot of research into Ultra Beasts, that she would become fixated on the Beasts themselves, but I do have to agree that the bit about her wanting to unleash them on Alola comes out of the blue and sticks out awkwardly.

Faba. He's such a smug son of a bitch that I just wanted to reach in and punch him. I haven't felt that way about a Pokemon character since Blue from Pokemon Red and Blue all the way back in the 90's.

Nanu!

These people exist in real life, constantly miserable and down, always killing the mood for everyone else, a complete downer.

I'd have to agree with you. Even I'm in chipper spirits most of the time than he ever is, and I suffer from depression.

But in seriousness, Nanu is just a waste of space. Our first Dark-type user that isn't a E4 member (though he came close) and he had to be a total mood killer. Couldn't they make him a bit more like Grimsley or something? I mean, sure, Dark-types can be dreary, but Nanu just wallows in pure misery, dragging everyone else down with him. Even Ghost-type users tend to be perky and cheerful, and Ghost Mons aren't exactly the embodiment of fluffy bunnies, hugs and rainbows. He really knows how to ruin the mood, especially in an already messed up place like Po Town. So Nanu is the top of the worst on my list.

I want to punch Hau in the face every time he appears. They said you have to be 11 to do the trials, but clearly there is nepotism in play here because an insufferable 4 year old like Hau really shouldn't be here. There was no development, nothing interesting about him, he was just an insufferable "Nothing phases me because I'm happy and stupid and obnoxious :) " type. Characters like Hau make you wonder whether being absolutely worthless and forgettable like the 'friends' in XY or an annoying loser like Hau is worse.

Mina, a trial captain who's too focused on her hobby to actually have a trial for you to do. This is made even worse by the fact there's a trial on the very same island you meet her on that doesn't have a captain. It didn't feel like you really earned the Fairium-Z from her, unlike the ones from the Trials, discoveries in various parts of Alola or rewards for beating certain characters. Cute design, but a rather useless character. At least she redeems herself a bit in the post-game.

That ghost girl. Mostly because I freaking hate people with the cat face mouth. It looks so dumb and basically just screams "I AM THE BUBBLY ONE TEE HEE LOVE ME".

Then the painter girl. I love painter characters but wtf do your job. I can only assume that game freak got lazy in the end.

Then the painter girl. I love painter characters but wtf do your job. I can only assume that game freak got lazy in the end.
One thing that bugged me about Mina is that Trials are basically the replacement for Gyms in this games. Because she didn't have a Trial, we basically got only seven "Gyms" in this game.

I have a theory as to why Mina and Kahili turned out the way they did: the game is unfinished. I know that you were originally going to be able to go onto the golf course at the Hano Grand Resort, but they blocked it off in the final game. I think that, had Game Freak had a bit more development time, Kahili would've been a Trial Captain, and her trial would've been on that golf course. A similar situation might've happened with Mina.

Anyway, my least favorite character is probably Hau. It's not that I hate the guy, but he feels like dead weight a lot of the time. Gladion was an infinitely better rival.

I have a theory as to why Mina and Kahili turned out the way they did: the game is unfinished. I know that you were originally going to be able to go onto the golf course at the Hano Grand Resort, but they blocked it off in the final game. I think that, had Game Freak had a bit more development time, Kahili would've been a Trial Captain, and her trial would've been on that golf course. A similar situation might've happened with Mina.

I think Mina didn't have a trial because they simply didn't want to give her a trial; they wanted her to be quirky and flighty and new to the job. It suits the character we see, and it's not as if they had to include the Kommo-o trial. They seem to have opted for adding an extra twist to the lore instead, so that we finish our island trials with the "first" trial (and bookend our literal first trial, which we're told was designed by Ilima as a deliberate emulation of the Kommo-o trial), but that's not something they couldn't have given up in favor of a Fairy-type trial.

(My issue with Mina is more that she doesn't really do anything beyond just handing us the Fairium Z. Had she had more of a presence in the games, I wouldn't mind her lack of a trial, but as it stands, she may as well be a walking, talking version of the pedestals that contain the remaining Z-Crystals.)

As for Kahili, I suppose it's possible that they could have had her appear earlier in the game, especially if the golf course were open to us, but I don't think she would have been a Trial Captain. For one thing, I get the sense that she's meant to be a "surprise" among the Elite Four - we'd naturally go in expecting the kahunas, and sure, Acerola took Nanu's place but that makes sense because Nanu is Nanu, and we're still familiar with Acerola. Meanwhile, Kahili taking Hapu's presumed place throws us off our guard, because we have never seen her before. We don't know what she's all about, even though we might infer from the symbol above her chamber that she uses Flying types. And alternatively, if you start with Kahili, then it could make you doubt your assumption that the rest will all be kahunas.

(Also, depending on when the demo was developed, this may be irrelevant, but it may be worth noting that there's an NPC in the demo who mentions Kahili and says that she's "out conquering the world right now," but hopes she'll come back to Alola soon. Which is consistent with what Kahili says in the full games - and if she was out of the region until receiving Kukui's call, then she definitely wouldn't have been a Trial Captain.)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom