• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I take DP remakes on 3DS because the 3DS is still good enough to support it.

It's not about it being "good enough," it's about having an appropriate technological leap to warrant remakes.

The biggest problem with DPPt remakes in Generation VII is the lack of a large enough leap to justify them. Remakes have never been about what generation they're released in, but rather whether or not there's a big enough gap between the consoles they're released on. For example, GB -> GBA and GBC -> DS were viewed as appropriate leaps for those games, but GBA -> DS would have been pretty minimal so ORAS was on 3DS instead.

It seems like we're pretty quick to forget that that a lot of people thought Hoenn was "confirmed" for Gen V. I think the "hints" in SM for DP remakes are not hints at all, but rather a gradual build-up for the games to be remade in Generation VIII instead. If a new dedicated handheld is indeed in the works I don't see Switch as a viable platform for DPPt remakes either, especially if Stars is ultimately considered to be a one-off "special version" as I'm expecting it to be.

I love to see DP remakes on 3DS though. I am thinking that the Switch would end up being pretty poor and unpopular in my opinion.

I love to see DP remakes on 3DS though. I am thinking that the Switch would end up being pretty poor and unpopular in my opinion.
Me too. Especially since the handheld portion is a bulky tablet (compared to the cell phone sized 3DS) and it reportedly has a battery life of 3 HOURS. It would especially fail if the bulk of its launch titles are ports like what people have been saying.

I feel like the "hints" for Sinnoh remakes in Gen 7 are like the hints for Hoenn remakes in Gen 5. So Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8.

Don't mean to sound like a debbie downer, but has anyone ever considered the possibility that we may not get DP remakes at all? I mean, yeah, I'm aware that they are still interested in remaking older gens, but what if DP isn't one of those gens that they're interested in remaking? I'm mostly wondering about this because I've just stumbled upon a post claiming that "there's also an outcry from fans opposing against a DP remake, desiring to just leave those games in the dust instead" or something along those lines. And from what I've gathered throughout the 'net (pokéforums, gaming sites etc.), the poster's claims aren't too far out. I did come across quite a few who opposed these remakes; I've even seen a petition to talk Gamefreak out of making these games (a petition with 7 supporters, but still). Then there's also those that say that gen 4(DP) was the worst, that it wasn't one of the more popular gens, etc. These claims just seem to confirm my perception that gen 4 was one of the most hated generations back in the day (there's still some hate up 'till now), and I wonder if these things could end up factoring in DP not getting a remake at all. Yeah, I suppose one could argue that the Internet is the vast minority of the fandom, but I just can't help but wonder -- if there are this many haters across the 'net, how many more haters are there gonna be out there?

I dunno, I'm just paranoid, I guess. D/p/pt are my absolute favorite games of the franchise, and I'd definitely want a remake even if they have to put it off 'till later. But seeing all this negativity...it kinda kills my hype for them, y'know.

Last edited:
Don't mean to sound like a debbie downer, but has anyone ever considered the possibility that we may not get DP remakes at all? I mean, yeah, I'm aware that they are still interested in remaking older gens, but what if DP isn't one of those gens that they're interested in remaking? I'm mostly wondering about this because I've just stumbled upon a post claiming that "there's also an outcry from fans opposing against a DP remake, desiring to just leave those games in the dust instead" or something along those lines. And from what I've gathered throughout the 'net (pokéforums, gaming sites etc.), the poster's claims aren't too far out. I did come across quite a few who opposed these remakes; I've even seen a petition to talk Gamefreak out of making these games (a petition with 7 supporters, but still). Then there's also those that say that gen 4(DP) was the worst, that it wasn't one of the more popular gens, etc. These claims just seem to confirm my perception that gen 4 was one of the most hated generations back in the day (there's still some hate up 'till now), and I wonder if these things could end up factoring in DP not getting a remake at all. Yeah, I suppose one could argue that the Internet is the vast minority of the fandom, but I just can't help but wonder -- if there are this many haters across the 'net, how many more haters are there gonna be out there?

I dunno, I'm just paranoid, I guess. D/p/pt are my absolute favorite games of the franchise, and I'd definitely want a remake even if they have to put it off 'till later. But seeing all this negativity...it kinda kills my hype for them, y'know.

I'm pretty sure DP will, but from my perspective that's the end of the certain ones. I'm not sure whether Black/White will get remade, because a) they werent that popular relative to others, and b) how would they handle the sequels ?

I think in general, there's still more demand for DP remakes than there is... anti-demand? It just hasn't been long enough for that demand to grow very loud like it did for the Hoenn games, where the hype didn't really become focused until 2011/2012, and grew even louder in 2013, and then out the remakes popped in 2014. Granted, I don't think that the Sinnoh Confirmed "meme" will go as far as the Hoenn Confirmed one did. But another thing to keep in mind is that the rate of technical advancement within the series has been steadily accelerating. You know, there's more of a gap between what the GBA was able to do and what the 3DS was able to do. There's considerably less of a gap between the DS and the 3DS. So even though it's been roughly the same number of years since DPP as there were between RSE and ORAS, the Sinnoh games are still more "recent." Or, to put it another way, DPP may not be more chronologically recent, but they are more technologically recent.

Also, a remake could take steps to address peoples' issues with the originals, much in the way that ORAS made an effort to cut down on the prominence of Hoenn's frustrating, repetitive water routes. I think it'd be unreasonable for Game Freak to dismiss this potential of remakes out-of-hand. When you're looking back at an older game that is distanced by several successive releases, it's easier to see what worked and what didn't, and how you could have gone about it in a way that perhaps could have been better, if only you'd had the capabilities and the awareness that you have now.

Last edited:
At this point the majority of people believe that DP remakes are coming, however when is a matter of debate.

It's similar to gen 5 when people thought it was Hoenn's turn. When it turned out not to be, that's when they got desperate trying to make their voices heard.

At this point the majority of people believe that DP remakes are coming, however when is a matter of debate.

It's similar to gen 5 when people thought it was Hoenn's turn. When it turned out not to be, that's when they got desperate trying to make their voices heard.
Just because gen 5 had none, it doesn't mean gen 7 would be the same. GF is breaking patterns and surprising us. DP remakes could happen.

So far fan been speculating that we'll get DP remake in 2019, because of the pattern of each remake and new game system, I believe DP remake won't happen in 2019, as for Pokemon Star, we still don't anything about it so far, we don't if it's third version game or a codenamed for sun and moon. For all we know if GF do a pokemon game in 2017, we might be surprise on what it is, it's either a DP remake, Pokemon Star rumour, a sequel, or a break year with just a spin-off. We might see what happen next year
Just because gen 5 had none, it doesn't mean gen 7 would be the same. GF is breaking patterns and surprising us. DP remakes could happen.
I agree, I don't think Gen 7 is Gen 5 again, if it was Gen 5 all over again, we probably get only alolan pokemon instead of bring back old one, like they did in Gen 5. Plus like @Arceus the Dragon says if they want to do DP remake in Gen 7, we're not going to stop them, plus like he says they break the pattern, so I don't think they'll follow that pattern and wait till 2019 to release DP remake
I think in general, there's still more demand for DP remakes than there is... anti-demand? It just hasn't been long enough for that demand to grow very loud like it did for the Hoenn games, where the hype didn't really become focused until 2011/2012, and grew even louder in 2013, and then out the remakes popped in 2014. Granted, I don't think that the Sinnoh Confirmed "meme" will go as far as the Hoenn Confirmed one did. But another thing to keep in mind is that the rate of technical advancement within the series has been steadily accelerating. You know, there's more of a gap between what the GBA was able to do and what the 3DS was able to do. There's considerably less of a gap between the DS and the 3DS. So even though it's been roughly the same number of years since DPP as there were between RSE and ORAS, the Sinnoh games are still more "recent." Or, to put it another way, DPP may not be more chronologically recent, but they are more technologically recent.

Also, a remake could take steps to address peoples' issues with the originals, much in the way that ORAS made an effort to cut down on the prominence of Hoenn's frustrating, repetitive water routes. I think it'd be unreasonable for Game Freak to dismiss this potential of remakes out-of-hand. When you're looking back at an older game that is distanced by several successive releases, it's easier to see what worked and what didn't, and how you could have gone about it in a way that perhaps could have been better, if only you'd had the capabilities and the awareness that you have now.

Yeah that's true, we likely to get DP remake at some point, just because the fan don't want it, Doesn't mean it's going toe happen, people didn't want Gen 3 Remake, but look we got Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in 2014. The only thing GF cares about making "Money", they make money off these games, I don't think GF would following the fan's request on not doing a remake, that's GF decision

So, if Gen IV is remade this generation, do you think they might put in the Battle Tree like they did with HGSS and the Battle Frontier and ORAS and the Battle Maison?

So, if Gen IV is remade this generation, do you think they might put in the Battle Tree like they did with HGSS and the Battle Frontier and ORAS and the Battle Maison?
Maybe, I hope so. Hey @RileyXY1, name some of the new stuff in Sun and Moon, and old stuff from the previous games do you want to see in DP remake

The battle tree is just the same copy paste from the Battle Tower, Battle Subway (shudder) and Battle Maison.

I think Battle Royale was a nice concept, I'd like to see passed down, although some NPC says its based on the 4 guardians. Also I don't understand why the match ends when the first person loses all their Pokemon, that person should be ranked 4th and then it carries on until there's only 1 person left standing. I'd hope to see that rule change if it was passed down into new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom