• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gengars change of ability from Levitate to Cursed Body? [Vote]

Your opinion of Levitate ->Cursed Body?

• I only want Cursed Body

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Defog on a spinblocker is inferior to regular ol' Rapid Spin because Defog would remove your own hazards too.
Oh I meant that the opponent can defog. Obviously if you're using hazards, Dhelmise is a good niche.

Some things are like tradition. See Alolan Digglet. If they wanted to change Gengar why then not made a Alolan version?
Maybe it's with this ability only in Alola?

Making an alternate version simply to change an ability seems like a waste.

Making an alternate version simply to change an ability seems like a waste.
then what a waste to change totally one of its best abilities after 6 generations? I would understand that a pokemon could choose between 3, but changing from 1 to 1 is also a kind of a waste.

Then again Ghastly and Hunter gained a lot.

What it needs is a reason to be used instead of Gengar.

Decidueye if it gets Shadow Sneak, Pursuit and Torment then with Sucker Punch, Spirit Shackle and Curse will be a new kind of Pokemon that will make profit from it's scare tactic and unpredictability.

Last edited:
then what a waste to change totally one of its best abilities after 6 generations? I would understand that a pokemon could choose between 3, but changing from 1 to 1 is also a kind of a waste.

Then again Ghastly and Hunter gained a lot.

Cursed body can totally change a battle sometimes, too. I realised this after, on Pokemon Showdown, a Gengar disabled my Greninja's dark pulse, costing me the match.

Cursed body can totally change a battle sometimes, too. I realised this after, on Pokemon Showdown, a Gengar disabled my Greninja's dark pulse, costing me the match.
I dont say it's bad change but let Gengar be like Bronzong (Heatproof/Levitate)

/ps. Heatproof needs a buff and rise sp.def 2 stages like Water Compaction does but also half the fire type attacks in the same time, Water Compaction needs a buff and half also water type demage and rise 2+defense./

The nerf is cool. Gengar was everywhere. I don't think Cursed Body is useless. I use a Froslass in 6th gen and Cursed Body makes up quite well for her frailness.

I mean, visually it makes sense why it can't Levitate. All of Gengar's game animations/art have its feet firmly planted on the ground.

Despite having had Levitate in XY, it couldn't participate in Sky Battles and, y'know, levitate despite other Pokemon with the same ability that could (like its preevoulutions).

Just realized Gengar does have Cursed Body. I would have preferred to keep levitate but it would have lost levitate with mega evolution anyway.

Honestly, from a lore perspective I like this change. Does it make it less competitive? Yeah, a bit. But it's GENGAR! This thing has been a terror since before abilities were a thing. I'm not too worried about it.

Except that Curse will never be a viable option on Decidueye.

yes I know through breeding, they could have made it a TM or also learn it through evolution like Spirit Shackle.

I wanted Gengar to have Levitate and Cursed Body (Bronzong and others ) bacuse of correctness through out 7 generations of anime and games.

If it would lost its ghost or poison type would you all be amused?

yes I know through breeding, they could have made it a TM or also learn it through evolution like Spirit Shackle.

I wanted Gengar to have Levitate and Cursed Body (Bronzong and others ) bacuse of correctness through out 7 generations of anime and games.

If it would lost its ghost or poison type would you all be amused?
What he meant was that Curse Gengar sucks and shouldn't be used because of how bad the move is on Gengar (and on all ghost types in general.)

Also, just FYI, Gengar hasn't had Curse through seven generations. Just four. He lost it in Gen VII and Abilities weren't a thing in Gens I and II, so by definition he couldn't have levitate. It was only a thing for it in Gens III-VI.

f how bad the move is

why so bad?
1/4 damage every turn and can be removed with switching?
or bacuse the user lose 1/2 hp?(they could have made it 1/4 till now like the damage it makes)

why so bad?
or bacuse the user lose 1/2 hp?(they could have made it 1/4 till now like the damage it makes)
Both because it can be switched out of and because it takes away 50% of Gengar's max health. You're putting yourself at half life just to inflict a steady 1/4 to the opponent. Odds are either you can kill it faster with your STAB, or it can destroy you now that you're at half health.

Both because it can be switched out of and because it takes away 50% of Gengar's max health. You're putting yourself at half life just to inflict a steady 1/4 to the opponent. Odds are either you can kill it faster with your STAB, or it can destroy you now that you're at half health.

Maybe thats why Mean Look Exists and now Z move heals you fully up?
Would have been better if you would gain 1/4 hp from the oponent every turn after curse activates.
But thats for a diffrent debate. Maybe they wanted not to over power ghost type, thats why Gengar paired with it?

why so bad?

On Decidueye's case it's very simple really: you don't have the stats (namely the speed) to make proper use of it and your ability won't compensate for the fact you'll be taking a hit first a lot more often than not. It is also why I gave Trevenant as a comparison term since he also suffers from poor speed syndrome but has that remedied to some extent by Harvest, which makes Trevy more reliable as a Curse setter than Decidueye can ever hope to be. Even then, a Curse set is only a gimmick set at best as there's no guarantee Harvest will recycle your Sitrus Berry consistently unless you're using a Sun team

On Gengar's case it's even simpler. First of all, running Curse a waste of Gengar's offensive potential. More often than not your STAB moves will do over 25% damage (except in some resisted matchups) without having to deal with any of Curse's downsides. If that isn't enough of a reason to you just remember Gengar's bulk is next to nonexistent, so it would rather not want to take any hits if such situation can be avoided... and if it has trouble taking hits at full hp, imagine how it's going to be like with half. Now tell me, why would you willingly sacrifice 50% HP on a pokemon that is already frail by nature?

Last edited:
would you willingly sacrifice 50% HP on a pokemon that is already frail by nature?

revenge killing? if you know that you are low on hp? or if you want your oponent to switch out and use a combo with a pokemon with Stake Out ability or something in that way?

You all want your pokemon to win in the first battle with Curse and with full hp?
There always down side and doubledge effects of powerfull things.
Yes its bad that it can be taken off to easy after switching out, but the oponent loses one turn if he wants to rescue his pokemon and not wants to reanimate it with a potion.

But what if it would have in future a curse count like the perish count?
That if the pokemon comes back on the field the Curse reactivates?
What if Curse would work better if the 50% damage would be counted after your oponent faints from the Curse? Or if the Curse user/activator takes 1/8 damage every turn and the target takes 1/4(then if the target switches out the user also stops taking damge from curse or the next pokemon gains the Curse??)? They could really think of changing it a little.

Last edited:
revenge killing? if you know that you are low on hp? or if you want your oponent to switch out and use a combo with a pokemon with Stake Out ability or something in that way?

You all want your pokemon to win in the first battle with Curse and with full hp?
There always down side and doubledge effects of powerfull things.
Yes its bad that it can be taken off to easy after switching out, but the oponent loses one turn if he wants to rescue his pokemon and not wants to reanimate it with a potion.

But what if it would have in future a curse count like the perish count?
That if the pokemon comes back on the field the Curse reactivates?
What if Curse would work better if the 50% damage would be counted after your oponent faints from the Curse? Or if the Curse user/activator takes 1/8 damage every turn and the target takes 1/4(then if the target switches out the user also stops taking damge from curse or the next pokemon gains the Curse??)? They could really think of changing it a little.

Revenge killing... I'm afraid that the only thing dying with a Curse Gengar is the Gengar using the move.

All those ifs give the impression you're grasping at straws at this point. A move isn't going to become competitively viable just because you want it to be.

All those ifs give the impression you're grasping at straws at this point. A move isn't going to become viable just because you want it to be.

Curse breaks through Protect based moves.

If you use a move in the right moment then it can change many things.

Hope now that they will make Contact abilities like "Cursed Body" not only have 30% chance by every hit but also activate automatically disable with 100% the last move that reduced your pokes(Gengar) HP to zero.

(all those ifs are wishfull thinking of how to make a move better, but Im not a creator Im only a player)

Last edited:
I love the nerf. The rich getting poorer is perfectly fine by me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom