• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trials are what makes Alola unique, IMO~ I'd rather them not try to shoehorn them into Sinnoh remakes where they weren't there originally just for the sake of having them~ If trials are done again, it should be done properly in a region made specifically for trials~

Well to be clear, I don't want them to follow the same exact mold. I just don't think traditional Gyms should cut it anymore.

Several pages previous in this thread, I actually proposed an (extremely ambitious and improbable) idea for Sinnoh sequels, but there is one part of it that I think could work just as well, with a little tinkering, in order to spice up the Badge quest:

> "So let's have these sequels set ten or so years later, and in the intervening time, distortions have begun to appear all over the Sinnoh region. This has caused an influx of Pokémon that have fallen into Sinnoh from all over space and time (this reinvigorates the regional Dex). There are eight key distortions around the region. The Gym challenge is now intertwined with this plot, and before you can challenge a Gym, you must now assist the Gym Leader in dealing with the distortion in their area. This leads to what is functionally a Totem battle, but reskinned as 'Interdimensional' or something to that effect."

Even though sequels aren't going to happen, I'm sure there could still be a way of writing such distortions into the plot in straight-up remakes. I actually wrote the above text long before SM came out, but conveniently, the UB battles in those games function pretty much exactly like I was picturing for this concept - powerful Pokémon emerge from a wormhole and surround themselves with an aura using the runoff energy from the wormhole they emerged from.

It doesn't really need to replace the Gyms, it just needs to exist alongside them and invigorate them enough to keep them on the level of activity that Trials involve. Besides, several of the cities with Gyms in Sinnoh also have certain landmarks that could function similarly to Trial sites (except in this case, they'd be the places where the distortions are appearing). Oreburgh has the mine, Eterna City has the forest, Hearthome could use Amity Square (tying that in a bit more), Pastoria could use the Great Marsh...

Furthermore, I'd stress that these distortions would be a recent development in-universe, and not something that would normally be a part of the Badge quest, which should help to make it feel less like Sinnoh just decided to copy Alola's Trials for the hell of it. They would only really be intersecting with your Badge quest by coincidence, and you just happen to be a conveniently timed assistant for the Gym Leaders, who are already investigating them.

Last edited:
Here's an idea: they reintroduce HMs, but they're not active moves. Rather, they go into their own little slot on the Pokémon's Move List, while the TM version allows for it to be used in battle. So rather than replace a good move with an HM move, it's just a case of allowing story progression in a similar vein to the Ride Pokémon, but with your own in game Party. Because frankly, I would love to ride my Gyarados into battle.

Plasma Grunt: "Hey, what is...oh god a Gyarados!"

Well to be clear, I don't want them to follow the same exact mold. I just don't think traditional Gyms should cut it anymore.

Several pages previous in this thread, I actually proposed an (extremely ambitious and improbable) idea for Sinnoh sequels, but there is one part of it that I think could work just as well, with a little tinkering, in order to spice up the Badge quest:

> "So let's have these sequels set ten or so years later, and in the intervening time, distortions have begun to appear all over the Sinnoh region. This has caused an influx of Pokémon that have fallen into Sinnoh from all over space and time (this reinvigorates the regional Dex). There are eight key distortions around the region. The Gym challenge is now intertwined with this plot, and before you can challenge a Gym, you must now assist the Gym Leader in dealing with the distortion in their area. This leads to what is functionally a Totem battle, but reskinned as 'Interdimensional' or something to that effect.".
Can I just say that this is a brilliant idea?

I always wanted them to do something regarding Dialga and Palkia's abilities. Perhaps temporal/spatial distortions (for whatever reason) have caused the Sinnoh region to become intertwined with Alola (the possible reason being the Ultra Beasts)?

Although I wouldn't mind if Megaverse Sinnoh developed in a different fashion than Non-Megaverse Sinnoh. Perhaps Sinnoh also had something resembling trials (Sinnoh is a very diverse and historically rich region so it wouldn't surprise me), but it developed into something resembling gyms, but not the traditional ones we all know and kinda like. Thus, Megaverse Sinnoh has a unique combination of gyms and trials.

I know they'll stick with the old formats in Gen 4 remake, but I hope they don't bring back HMs and keep Pokeride in the game, because HMs are a pain in the butt, they're a couple of thing they'll bring back from sun and moon and from previous games
  • New exclusive Z-Moves
  • Z-Power (Z-Move, and Z-forms)
  • New Mega Evolutions
  • New Primal Reversion
  • Gyms
  • PokeRide. No HMs
  • SOS Battles
  • Horde Encounter
  • Sky Battles
  • Inverse Battle
  • Super Training
  • National Pokedex
  • Battle Tree or a new Battle Facility
  • Bikes
  • Soaring in the Sky
  • Pokemon Contest
  • Super Secret Bases
  • Hyper Training
  • Poke Finder
  • Ultra Beasts
  • Safari Zone
  • Battle Style Poses
  • Vs Seeker
  • Pokemon Radar
  • The Alternate World
  • Poke Refresh
  • Gym Leader Rematches
  • Elite Four and Champion Rematches

This is pretty unrealistic, they're not going to be able include that many features. At least some of this will have to be left out.

Trials can stay away from sinnoh. I want sinnoh to stick to gyms.

Trials can stay away from sinnoh. I want sinnoh to stick to gyms.
We don't do much in the trials, but gyms are still in sinnoh, but like @Esserise said you can challenge the gyms first, then take on Totem Pokemon last, I think they bring most of the material from sun and moon, into DP remake, I still don't know if they'll bring back new megas, since new megas didn't appear in sun and moon, so I think we'll get some new exclusive Z-moves for the sinnoh starters

> "So let's have these sequels set ten or so years later, and in the intervening time, distortions have begun to appear all over the Sinnoh region. This has caused an influx of Pokémon that have fallen into Sinnoh from all over space and time (this reinvigorates the regional Dex). There are eight key distortions around the region. The Gym challenge is now intertwined with this plot, and before you can challenge a Gym, you must now assist the Gym Leader in dealing with the distortion in their area. This leads to what is functionally a Totem battle, but reskinned as 'Interdimensional' or something to that effect."

Even though sequels aren't going to happen, I'm sure there could still be a way of writing such distortions into the plot in straight-up remakes. I actually wrote the above text long before SM came out, but conveniently, the UB battles in those games function pretty much exactly like I was picturing for this concept - powerful Pokémon emerge from a wormhole and surround themselves with an aura using the runoff energy from the wormhole they emerged from.

It doesn't really need to replace the Gyms, it just needs to exist alongside them and invigorate them enough to keep them on the level of activity that Trials involve. Besides, several of the cities with Gyms in Sinnoh also have certain landmarks that could function similarly to Trial sites (except in this case, they'd be the places where the distortions are appearing). Oreburgh has the mine, Eterna City has the forest, Hearthome could use Amity Square (tying that in a bit more), Pastoria could use the Great Marsh...

Furthermore, I'd stress that these distortions would be a recent development in-universe, and not something that would normally be a part of the Badge quest, which should help to make it feel less like Sinnoh just decided to copy Alola's Trials for the hell of it. They would only really be intersecting with your Badge quest by coincidence, and you just happen to be a conveniently timed assistant for the Gym Leaders, who are already investigating them.
That's a great idea, I can see GF using that idea :)

I always wanted them to do something regarding Dialga and Palkia's abilities. Perhaps temporal/spatial distortions (for whatever reason) have caused the Sinnoh region to become intertwined with Alola (the possible reason being the Ultra Beasts)?

Although I wouldn't mind if Megaverse Sinnoh developed in a different fashion than Non-Megaverse Sinnoh. Perhaps Sinnoh also had something resembling trials (Sinnoh is a very diverse and historically rich region so it wouldn't surprise me), but it developed into something resembling gyms, but not the traditional ones we all know and kinda like. Thus, Megaverse Sinnoh has a unique combination of gyms and trials.
The Dialga and Palkia ability is also a great idea too, it sucks we not getting new megas in DP remake, but it'll be better to see how DP remake turns out :), I might be wrong on Megas but who knows, that a nice idea though :)

Seems like this idea could just work as something that goes along with a reworked plot in itself and doesn't really have to even relate to the Gym Challenges if I'm understanding it right~ (Which I may not be XP) I mean, if they're "conveniently timed to assist Gym Leaders" the actual Gym battles could be done and over with and you're just doing something that's more or less unrelated to getting badge~ Which I wouldn't mind~ I'm not opposed to them changing up the plot like ORAS did with RS~ But I'm not really for changing the Gym Challenges to Trials or being Trial-like just for the sake of it when they have an established Gym system, personally~

Thanks. :D

I also would like for them to expand on Dialga/Palkia's powers. I'm... not really a big fan of their whole family, but there's nothing I can do about that so the best I can personally hope for is a strong rewrite of their story like what the weather trio received in ORAS. As it stands, Dialga/Palkia are most notable for creating a region-wide lightshow in DP, and doing basically nothing in Platinum. Well, they conjure miniature galaxies, which is baffling on so many levels. But Platinum tells us at one point that the ancients of Sinnoh used to meet with Dialga/Palkia using their respective Orbs to summon them - that's something I'd love to know more about. What were the circumstances of those meetings? Consultation? Exchange? Seeking assistance in dealing with threats? (The UBs could tie in well with that.) To think that they essentially had an open phone line to their gods - there's some story potential there.

Regarding my proposed distortions, I don't think they necessarily need to link to Alola specifically. You'd probably get a more diverse selection of Pokémon by saying that they're pulling in from all over the world, and perhaps from other dimensions (or even universes, depending on what story flavor they want to use) as well. Of course, since I don't think we'll be seeing DP remakes until Gen VIII, I suppose I would find it most logical for the distortions to be linked to whatever region the primary Gen VIII games are set in.

I don't think I'd hate it, but as it stands, Sinnoh is kind of in a weird position for me. I like a lot of the ideas that are tied into it. But I also feel like there are a lot of aspects that could use further refinement. So, personally, I'd prefer to see them patch up the current "vision" of Sinnoh, to make it feel more complete and textured, rather than replacing it with a new "vision."

Watch, the first interdimensional portal you face, you see Cyrus stepping out with a Lusamine-like grin. :p

Funny you should mention this. The other day I was talking to somebody about

Human/Pokémon fusions like Lusamine/Nihilego's merger, and if that's something they might build on. For my part, I would really rather that they did not, and left it as something particular to Lusamine, but with one potential exception - Cyrus merging with something could make a lot of sense. He always talks about "making the power of the Legendary Pokémon his own," and what better way to do that than to fuse with one?

What's amusing to me is that, in my aforementioned proposal for DP sequels, I suggested that the force behind the distortions could be revealed to be Cyrus, having turned into an Ultra Beast-like being after spending a long time in the Distortion World. This was back when we all thought there'd be some fundamental connection between the UBs and the various human characters, but I feel like a version of my idea could potentially still survive, though not quite as I'd imagined it.

Seems like this idea could just work as something that goes along with a reworked plot in itself and doesn't really have to even relate to the Gym Challenges if I'm understanding it right~ (Which I may not be XP) I mean, if they're "conveniently timed to assist Gym Leaders" the actual Gym battles could be done and over with and you're just doing something that's more or less unrelated to getting badge~ Which I wouldn't mind~ I'm not opposed to them changing up the plot like ORAS did with RS~ But I'm not really for changing the Gym Challenges to Trials or being Trial-like just for the sake of it when they have an established Gym system, personally~

Yeah, that's about how I meant it. And on your last point, I do agree. As you say, Sinnoh's Gym system is already established, so I don't see much use in doing away with it completely, but surely there's a way to make our progression through the game's checkpoints more dynamic.

I think Poke Pelago may return, but under a different name + added features---or so I hope, rather than just copy+pasting it from SM like ORAS did with Super Training/Amie.

Reskinning it as a Pokemon Ranch and bringing back Hayley as a nod to the Eshop title since it was Gen IV would be ace.

Funny you should mention this. The other day I was talking to somebody about

Human/Pokémon fusions like Lusamine/Nihilego's merger, and if that's something they might build on. For my part, I would really rather that they did not, and left it as something particular to Lusamine, but with one potential exception - Cyrus merging with something could make a lot of sense. He always talks about "making the power of the Legendary Pokémon his own," and what better way to do that than to fuse with one?

What's amusing to me is that, in my aforementioned proposal for DP sequels, I suggested that the force behind the distortions could be revealed to be Cyrus, having turned into an Ultra Beast-like being after spending a long time in the Distortion World. This was back when we all thought there'd be some fundamental connection between the UBs and the various human characters, but I feel like a version of my idea could potentially still survive, though not quite as I'd imagined it.

I guess it would kind of make sense for him to attempt to merge with Giratina in this case. Which would be something terrifying to behold. Perhaps that would be the final boss of the DP remake 'delta' episode of sorts.

I guess it would kind of make sense for him to attempt to merge with Giratina in this case. Which would be something terrifying to behold. Perhaps that would be the final boss of the DP remake 'delta' episode of sorts.
I agree, it's a brilliant idea a little terrifying but brilliant

No thanks. Pokemon and humans should not fuse ever. DP remakes should not have that.

No thanks. Pokemon and humans should not fuse ever. DP remakes should not have that.
If/When you have finished the game, or are close to finishing it, you would know that this has already occurred.

Likewise, perhaps a Giratina/Cyrus fusion would be considered both the 'most perfect' and 'imperfect' being at the same time, somehow...

If/When you have finished the game, or are close to finishing it, you would know that this has already occurred.

Likewise, perhaps a Giratina/Cyrus fusion would be considered both the 'most perfect' and 'imperfect' being at the same time, somehow...
SM was a one time deal.

If you feel that way.
But we don't know for sure.
Pokemon games need to stay away from pokemon and human fusion. That kind of thing is bad gaming in my opinion. DP remakes shouldn't have that in them.

Let's see if everybody on this thread can come up with DP remake prediction and speculation it could be anything, let's see what kind of ideas you have.

Well, I'm hoping for the Distortion World to return in some form. I expected more Emerald in ORAS, the way HGSS partially took some of Crystal's story and made it work around what Gold and Silver had. That's the kind of remake I want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom