• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wild Speculation
What if Stars will be a game where Pikachu is our starter? And, the Pikachu's greatest ambition would be to become a surfing legend, and contrary to the Yellow Pikachu, this one will want to evolve to Alolan a Raichu to advance itself... After all, they were advertising A-Raichu as the trianer's Pokemon in the trailers. I would love to see Raichu in the spotlight again, and have him portrayed as something other than a Gym Pokemon beating up Red's Pikachu in Yellow...

Also, People might say that we're getting(datamined spoiler)
Ash-Hat Pikachu
as our starter. But, this is out of question since it would be
Ash's Pikachu and not ours.
Well, we also get Ash-Greninja which is also Ash's. So maybe he gives us his Pikachu which I highly doubt.

Well, we also get Ash-Greninja which is also Ash's. So maybe he gives us his Pikachu which I highly doubt.

No, but he is obviously more attached to Pikachu, then to Greninja. And, we can't have someone's released Pokemon as our starter XD...
A starter is more obligatory/emotional to keep than a level 36 event.
Also it's Z-Move has Ash's name in it.

I think we'll have more attachment to an unused starter, then to a Pokemon released by a trainer after travelling 20 years with it XD. Compare it to a fresh new blank slate vs old and filled up slate (without a duster) which was discarded.

And also
there are 7 Pikachu forms, which one will they give us? And how will they give us all the rest?

No, but he is obviously more attached to Pikachu, then to Greninja. And, we can't have someone's released Pokemon as our starter XD...
A starter is more obligatory/emotional to keep than a level 36 event.
Also it's Z-Move has Ash's name in it.

I think we'll have more attachment to an unused starter, then to a Pokemon released by a trainer after travelling 20 years with it XD. Compare it to a fresh new blank slate vs old and filled up slate (without a duster) which was discarded.

And also
there are 7 Pikachu forms, which one will they give us? And how will they give us all the rest?

What if Stars's main protagonist is Ash himself? Though that would go against the whole choose your character motif. Maybe Ash would give his Pikachu to you in the games?

Regardless, it would be nice to have Ash-Pikachu be something a bit more than just an event Pokémon.

What if Stars's main protagonist is Ash himself? Though that would go against the whole choose your character motif. Maybe Ash would give his Pikachu to you in the games?

Regardless, it would be nice to have Ash-Pikachu be something a bit more than just an event Pokémon.
I'm not against Ash giving you his Pikachu, but it should be given in main story, not as your own starter.

I rather they don't make it optional. And no Sun and Moon reaching 3DS limits is not fact. The 3DS can handle anything. Stars is better off on the 3DS.

Then please explain to me why they had to remove battle features from the game, and also please explain to me why the game cannot be played without experiencing lag in certain areas? It is fact that SM reached the 3DS' limit. If it didn't, then it would be able to run the game perfectly, and it can't. I'll await your explanations.

Then please explain to me why they had to remove battle features from the game, and also please explain to me why the game cannot be played without experiencing lag in certain areas? It is fact that SM reached the 3DS' limit. If it didn't, then it would be able to run the game perfectly, and it can't. I'll await your explanations.
The lag mostly occurred on the 'old' or 'classic' 3DS's rather than the 'new' 3DS, as far as I am aware.

Well, Stars is real. Expected that. Here's my new timeline

2017: Stars
2018: Gen 8
2019: Gen 8 expansion
2020: Break year
2021: Gen 9

"not a brand new experience like most third versions, since it's the same game with some new features." This makes no sense. You claim that Pokémon Stars will just be the same game with new features UNLIKE previous third versions, but EVERY third version is exactly like that. All of them. And why are you assuming Stars will just be a generic third version? Do you honestly believe that Gamefreak are bringing back third versions after all these years just to create generic third versions like before? I am almost certain that this third version is going to be more different than the original versions than any other third version in the past. I believe the game will feature more than just being on a brand new console.

Because generic third versions with much more content needs more development time and looking at the approximate release room of Stars being somewhere in Fall with the possbility of this game getting released in under a year after SM and they would never do release those better versions in only one year after the originals, which would kill the SM sales immidiately, it's more looking like simple port of those games with a few features using the Switch gimmicks and maybe some better graphics as an extra. Either way, a generic third version is underwhelming in every aspect and it isn't worth spending money for the almost same game, especially if it's a yellow level of extra content, which were only a couple of things. And only a minor part of the SM buyers would be interested into buying these like the past already showed to us leaving the rest into a long three year drought for a new experience and content. Sequels or something else expanding the region and the lore would be more worthwhile, but not that.

A bit off topic, I know of Smogon but what does CP stand for?

Competive play

Last edited:
The lag mostly occurred on the 'old' or 'classic' 3DS's rather than the 'new' 3DS, as far as I am aware.

Incorrect. I myself have a new 3DS and it experiences the exact same amount of lag as the original 3DS. Myself and plenty of others have confirmed that the game lags during double battles on all systems. If even the most powerful and updated 3DS can't run the game without lag, then it is time to move on to a better console.

Because generic third versions with much more content needs more development time and looking at the approximate release room of Stars being somewhere in Fall with the possbility of this game getting released in under a year after SM and they would never do release those better versions in only one year after the originals, which would kill the SM sales immidiately, it's more looking like simple port of those games with a few features using the Switch gimmicks and maybe some better graphics as an extra. Either way, a generic third version is underwhelming in every aspect and it isn't worth spending money for the almost same game, especially if it's a yellow level of extra content, which were only a couple of things. And only a minor part of the SM buyers would be interested into buying these like the past already showed to us leaving the rest into a long three year drought for a new experience and content. Sequels or something else expanding the region and the lore would be more worthwhile, but not that.

I haven't heard of any rumours claiming that Pokémon Stars will be a simple port of SM, and nobody should assume that it will be. People have found coding for walking animations for every Pokémon. All of them. Obviously, those walking animations were not used in Pokémon SM, but they went to the trouble of creating them all anyway. This indicates that it could possibly be used for Pokémon Stars. Bringing the walking feature back for Pokémon Stars is a large addition to the game, so assuming these rumours are real, there is no reason why anybody should assume Pokémon Stars is a simple port or generic third version. If Pokémon Stars is real, it will most likely have more new features and content than any other previous third version.

Last edited:
If it was going to be a third version, he could have picked Emerald or Platinum to make the comparison to. They arguably embody that mold better than Yellow does.

I do see what you're saying here, but given that it's already contrasted with a game with minimal changes (a port), using Yellow to mean, "No, it won't be a game with minimal changes, it'll be a game with minimal changes" just feels odd to me.

Someone from Eurogamer confirmed that Stars is Switch-exclusive.

View: https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/799581153363640321

However, read the replies. He claims that it is a "Yellow-type deal".

View: https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/799954719301128193

Looking at Yellow, it didn't add too much to the original RB games. Maybe Stars isn't a 3rd version, but a project code name (a la Rainbow) for Switch versions of Sun & Moon?

If it is a Yellow-type of game instead of Crystal/Emerald/Platinum... What if we get Rockruff as our starter? They could use that to further push the "third form".

I think you guys are reading too much into him using Yellow as an example. Generation 1 is the easiest Pokemon generation to reference and Yellow is commonly believed to be a standard third version by most people, especially those that are not super into the series. When you get down to it each third version is pretty different overall.

There are many, many Gaming websites that say Sun and Moon are pressing the 3DS to its limits, and this is why the double battles lag, and that probably is why triple battles are excluded.
If that's not a fact, there won't be so many large gaming sites that state that.

Choose one:
large gaming sites
or
Arceus the Dragon

I think you get it.

It's all convincing, but people sure won't let go of this kanto stuff, there's no purpose of returning to kanto, we already have so many kanto stuff in each generation (except for Gen 5), I would make sense if we have a kanto sequel, but it wouldn't make since if we return to kanto in the post-game, if we return to kanto, we have to return to johto too (Which it won't happen). The only region we should return is kalos.
If it is a Yellow-type of game instead of Crystal/Emerald/Platinum... What if we get Rockruff as our starter? They could use that to further push the "third form".
So you're saying that "Star" is a codename for Sun and Moon, just like "Rainbow" is codename for Sun and Moon but on 3DS, and Sun and Moon is a port to Nintendo Switch, but with expansion just like the third game
Events for the anime's 20th anniversary next year, most likely.
I know it's the 20th anniversary, but GF should just give the pikachu thing a rest, we don't want to have so many pikachu event in every pokemon game
There are many, many Gaming websites that say Sun and Moon are pressing the 3DS to its limits, and this is why the double battles lag, and that probably is why triple battles are excluded.
If that's not a fact, there won't be so many large gaming sites that state that.

Choose one:
large gaming sites
or
Arceus the Dragon

I think you get it.
I think they cut out all of the stuff from sun and moon, sun and moon did reach it's limit on 3ds, it would make since if we did had a port to nintendo switch

but it wouldn't make since if we return to kanto in the post-game, if we return to kanto, we have to return to johto too

I don't think that Stars would have Kanto as a post-game - I think they're much better off waiting to do a Kanto sequel after Stars - but if it did, there wouldn't be any obligation to give us Johto as well. They can probably come up with a variety of handwave excuses for why Johto would be inaccessible. It'd be unsatisfying, but it could be done.

The only region we should return is kalos.

Objection, your honor.

Last edited:
if we return to kanto, we have to return to johto too
Johto was completely ignored in FrLg despite the fact that it realistically could have included it given that we know Red ends up in Mt. Silver....instead we got the Sevii Islands. And then when we returned to Kanto again in HgSs, we didn't return to the Sevii Islands even though that would have been easy expanded content.

Back
Top Bottom