• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

mostly nitpicks tbh but:

1) didn't like ride pokemon: i'm not opposed to the concept, but i didn't particularly care for the fact that it came at the cost of removing some fairly benign key items/mechanics (such as the bike) as well as change for the not-worse-but-also-not-better in the fishing system that had to be made to accommodate it.

2) pre-credits Elite Four: it just felt really weird that the endgame of it all was still just an Elite Four. i didn't necessarily dislike it, but it just felt very Game Freak not being able to come up with at least something that wasn't an overt Elite Four or a re-skinned one. and as a segue.....

3) Mina and Kahili: it just feels so weird that SM does somewhat decently of paying attention to its characters.....and then there's these two. Mina should've been in the Elite Four to, in a way, make up for her lack of trial and Kahili should've been pushed into a Title Defense role in place of the nonsensical Ryuki. an alternative would be to essentially switch Mina and Kahili: have Mina be the whispered of but ever seen character (and perhaps have her more involved in the UB plot) and then have Kahili bump into you a couple times on Poni, or really anywhere, instead.

4) the story: it wasn't necessarily bad but it also wasn't that great either. it really benefits from being a notable departure from the normal formula. most of the time i honestly felt a bit more confused rather than in on what was happening.

Sun/Moon has honestly been the most disappointing and aggravating Pokemon game I've played in a long time. The best way that I can sum up this game is that it is really interruptive. Between the lengthy cutscenes aplenty, SOS Battles, ambushing Pokemon and Rotom Dex who never shuts up when I just want to look at the map. I originally talked about this in another thread, and rather than repeat myself, I think I'll just quote what I said.

After having beaten the game today, I can safely say that my biggest gripe with this game is how interruptive and lengthy the cutscenes are, especially the ending.

I was really not happy with the game's ending after becoming the Champion. The Elite Four and Champion battles are absolutely exhausting, and I don't like to save in-between battles in case I have to start over from the beginning. I expected to get the end credits and to be able to save my game soon afterward, as was the norm with previous games. Instead what I got was an overbearingly long ending cutscene that also forced me to battle Tapu Koko on top of everything. I already beat the E4 and Champion in a row, I don't want to be forced into a surprise battle with a legendary. The entire time I was skimming past the text, not reading a word the characters said, and wondering just when I would be allowed to be save. Watching the credits scroll after that was aggravating. Only after did it end was I allowed to finally save, though I would have much appreciated if I could have been given the chance a lot sooner. I looked up a video of this, and the entire thing lasted for a duration of about 20-30 minutes. That is ridiculously long.

I've been a lot more mad about this earlier. I've cooled down since, but I'm still mad about that.

The game in general is really interruptive. Being a veteran Pokemon player, I was really not fond of the tutorial segment on Melemele Island, and a lot of it was hand holding. Every single interaction with a main character would lead to a cutscene, and there were quite a lot of them. At times it were cutscene after cutscene, followed by another cutscene. The cutscenes after defeating Hala were bad enough. I just want to go back to controlling my character already. I don't need to be told where to go every couple of steps. The past games were never this bad, as they were much fewer and farther in-between.

I love cinematics in video games, but there's a thin line. Sun/Moon were really obnoxious and overbearing about it. It really ruins the replay value too, because I don't want to have to go through all that again if I ever want to replay. If the rumored Stars is just a third-version, then I may skip on that just because of the cutscenes.

That was the brunt of what I disliked in Sun/Moon. Granted, the game is a little more tolerable now that I've gotten into the post-game.

I didn't like how Complete Zygarde gain a boost to it's HP mostly and nothing for it's attack stat. Higher BST than Xerneas and Yveltal maybe but it should have gotten it's offense stats increased.

1) didn't like ride pokemon: i'm not opposed to the concept, but i didn't particularly care for the fact that it came at the cost of removing some fairly benign key items/mechanics (such as the bike) as well as change for the not-worse-but-also-not-better in the fishing system that had to be made to accommodate it.
Oh gosh, this. The entire concept of Ride Pokemon has been a hit and miss. On one hand, while I appreciate not having to lug a HM Slave around with me anymore, I also miss that Dig and Sweet Scent are no longer field moves. Those moves were very helpful, they didn't need to be discarded.

-As everyone said, the Pokedex distribution. It's the worst we've had since Gen IV, or maybe the worst ever.
-The above + SOS exclusive + different Pokemon per grass patch (a terrible idea) = It's almost impossible to catch most Pokemon without a guide. Game Freak, you are the master of accessibility.
-Alolan forms. Instead of giving a tropical twist to underdesigned Kanto Pokemon, they just took the least used typings from gens I and VII and gave them to Pokemon that maybe could fit them. One half of them is so bad that they make the other half weaker.
-The lack of grinding options.
-Team Skull grunts, they were a bore.
-The lack of Pokemon from outside the Alolan Dex.
-The unnaccesible locations. Malie tower I kinda understand, but the Golf course is pretty much an insult.

Last edited:
Pokemon Sun and Moon is a vary nice and fun game with stunning graphics and music, just like all of the other games in the world, it has it's own issues.

-Lack of Alola's own history. Sure we get to read some books in the library about the legendary Pokemon, but there isn't much telling about the region's history. Acerola did claims to be descended from Alolan royalty, but we never sees an abandoned castle, palace, or anything like that (maybe it got destroyed?), and we never really got anymore of Alola's history other then the books talking about the legendary Pokemon. It would be nice that we get to more about the region's past such as explaining how the kingdom in the region fell apart, and why there's some Kanto and Johto influences in a few towns. Johto got a back story, but it too needs to be explained more, Hoenn got an updated back story but some parts might be missing, Sinnoh got a really well explained back story even though more can still be explained to it, I don't know about Unova since I haven't played much of the generation 5 games, but Unova has a good back story as well, Kalos has a back story, but it can be explained more and better. All of the regions each have at least one museum while there isn't one in Alola. Each of the museum tells a bit of the region they're in history or other things such as how water is different from place to place. There's plenty of places that can put one in Alola, such as in a large enough clear area in a tourist hot spot like how it's done in Lumiose city in Kalos. We never got to know how long ago that Tapu Bulu destroyed the first Thrifty Megamart.
-Supporting characters' family members. Since we have character models now instead of little sprites, we can see more verity since in the supporting characters' family members. I'm not talking about Lillie and her family, I'm talking about Lana's little twin sisters and Mallow's brother. It doesn't hurt of give them a different model to make them look like that they're family instead of generic NPCs that we see all over. Lana's sisters should look like their her sisters instead of two random pre-shcoolers, and Mallow's brother should look more like he's her brother instead of a random guy that lives with her. In anime, we get to see Lana's twin sisters looking almost like Lana clones except different head bands, different shirts, and lighter blue hair. It'll be nice that we see supporting characters family members that we see and interact with to really show that it's a supporting character's family member even when they mention who their family member is. I don't know how the anime is going to handle Mallow's brother if we do see him, but we're going to wait and find out what they do with him in the future.

I...don't really like how violent the 'dex entries are compared to most of the past games. Like the one for non-Alolan Raticate in Moon says that they can bite your hand clean off. That's a little grim for an E-rated title. How much does the ESRB look into a game before giving it a final rating?

Also, I see they haven't adjusted anything well for the GTS. People are STILL asking for legendaries and Ultra Beasts in exchange for Popplio.

SMH. SMH.

Last edited:
I...don't really like how violent the 'dex entries are compared to most of the past games. Like the one for non-Alolan Raticate in Moon says that they can bite your hand clean off. That's a little grim for an E-rated title. How much does the ESRB look into a game before giving it a final rating?
I would say the ESRB are actually more strict than they were ten years ago. Devs have to go through extra measures just to ensure their game receives a smaller rating. I guess the ESRB are just lenient when it comes to encyclopedic animal descriptions.

What I didn't like:

-Not being able to sit down.
-Dyeing clothes being too huge a luxury, and that you can't create multiple dyed clothing of the same type - you must 'undye' the clothing to get a white one to redye for another color. This part drove me especially mad.
-Way too many blank houses, doors, and inaccessible areas. I had high hopes to run through the golf course, too! -_-
-The normal trainers averaging only 1-2 Pokemon. Come on - that is just stupidly artificial.
-No Hordes
-No Dexnav
-Too many cutscenes
-The Battle Tree and Royal have way too steep a learning curve - they literally start out much like 'Super-tier' battles in comparison to the Gen VI Battle Maison. I don't EV/IV train my dream team Pokemon, nor usually hunt for natures of them in-game, so it felt like I had a big disadvantage even at the start.
-I can't rebattle many overworld trainers at all to train after the post game. This alone made the post game incredibly stale.

Overall, good games - but the biggest complaint of all: the fun doesn't last very long after the post game - so I stopped doing much once I got the dex and some other breeding finished.

The game felt too short and also too frustrating.

I really felt like this game just tried to be annoying. My Pokemon team felt incredibly weak in this game. The enemies can take them down with ease, while moves that usually take them down in one shot do not anymore. Yet, sometimes the AI was laughably bad, and then sometimes they were smart and would take me down with no trouble.

The game felt too short and also too frustrating.

I really felt like this game just tried to be annoying. My Pokemon team felt incredibly weak in this game. The enemies can take them down with ease, while moves that usually take them down in one shot do not anymore. Yet, sometimes the AI was laughably bad, and then sometimes they were smart and would take me down with no trouble.
I have heard it's responses to people who complained that X and Y were too easy. Just keep grinding, just keep grinding, just keep grinding, grinding, grinding...(yeah, you can hear Dory)

I have heard it's responses to people who complained that X and Y were too easy. Just keep grinding, just keep grinding, just keep grinding, grinding, grinding...(yeah, you can hear Dory)

Well, I was never someone who complained about the difficulty of X/Y.

Grinding is hellish in this game. The SOS mechanic causes double teaming that puts the Pokemon I'm trying to train at a great disadvantage, especially because of what I mentioned in my last post about the AI's Pokemon moves being more powerful than previously.

I even tried playing the game without EXP Share, so I could enjoy it longer, but once I saw that SOS mechanic and overall how bad grinding is in this game, I was like "Nope".

I barely have any will to actually play the game anymore, actually. I beat the Elite 4, but dropped it after that because it was time to get ready for the end of the semester. I played a little yesterday for the post-game missions but I'm just not feeling it anymore really.

Here's another one: Festival Plaza. Why the hell do they have to make certain levels of shops version exclusive?? I just looked at the Bulbapedia article and saw that the higher levels of the Ball Shop are exclusive to Moon. I cannot buy extras of the other balls. Furthermore, I'm Champion and my Ball Shop still doesn't sell Dive Balls.

What a load. Is this supposed to be their idea of encouraging trades of Pokemon holding items? No thank you. I'm not bothering with this anymore.

Well, I was never someone who complained about the difficulty of X/Y.

Grinding is hellish in this game. The SOS mechanic causes double teaming that puts the Pokemon I'm trying to train at a great disadvantage, especially because of what I mentioned in my last post about the AI's Pokemon moves being more powerful than previously.

I even tried playing the game without EXP Share, so I could enjoy it longer, but once I saw that SOS mechanic and overall how bad grinding is in this game, I was like "Nope".

I barely have any will to actually play the game anymore, actually. I beat the Elite 4, but dropped it after that because it was time to get ready for the end of the semester. I played a little yesterday for the post-game missions but I'm just not feeling it anymore really.
If you lost the will to play it anymore, why don't you sell it then?

First of all for a game series whose main motto has been "gotta catch em all" having no national Dex is ridiculous,at least post elite 4 bring it in.

For a series as big as this the lack of post game content is insulting,oras was nice with the whole island to deal with and the move tutors,sun/moon feels unfinished and rushed.

And being in a tropical climate how do we not have tropius or chatot? Not to mention solrock or lunatone with the sun/moon them,plus every ride pokemon is native to alola but charizard? Couldent they have just made it a bird? Or maybe a tropius?
Where'd all the ride charizards come from?

The alola story was great but the elite 4 at end seemed rushed like alola was a half formed idea and with no game in 2015 it took em 2 years to make this half finished game and they couldent even get old Pokemon who fit the theme in the game like tropius and solrock etc?

Come on man alola forms are cool but do we really need more constant rattata and raticates?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom