• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

But there's literally no point in giving it Fly. Fly doesn't do anything outside of battle and Brave Bird is better in every way.

Well Fly doesn't have recoil damage. Besides, Pokemon learn tons of moves that are surpassed by others. No good reason for it to not have Fly.

Well Fly doesn't have recoil damage. Besides, Pokemon learn tons of moves that are surpassed by others. No good reason for it to not have Fly.

The recoil is a small price to pay for the higher power, 100% accuracy, and most importantly, not being a 2 turn move. Fly is like literally a terrible move lmao

And sure it wouldn't NOT make sense to give it Fly, but like I said, who really cares one way or the other since it got brave bird?

There are other bird pokemon that can't use Fly. Look at Farfetch'd and Doduo line. Gyarados is part Flying but is unable to use it.

Alolan Marowak can't learn shadow claw... but it has claws? And is a ghost type? Granted it has Shadow Bone but that is not accessible till very late game...

should Incineroar get Surf?

its the slowest fire type and only Emboar gets Scald.
+the tiger would really need a swim option for the islands.

(Imagine if they would buff Surf in future that when you use it then if your oponent uses a special oriented water type move in the same turn your move will negate his)

Tortunator getting better ability? like Solid Rock or Sturdy?

Last edited:

(Imagine if they would buff Surf in future that when you use it then if your oponent uses a special oriented water type move in the same turn your move will negate his)

All up for Turtonator getting either one of those, but Incinerator with Surf is waaaay too far-fetched. It sounds like something from a wishlist tbh.

No way Incineroar would get Surf. The reason Emboar got Scald is because Scald was a boiling hot water attack that burns the opponent. Surf is reserve mostly for Water types and those big enough to swim with. Incineroar is most unlikely unable to swim and could drown in water.

I'm not even certain why Emboar learns Scald in the first place. Ignoring Volcanion, Emboar's the only Fire type with this move. What exactly is it that makes only Emboar able to learn this move out of all Fire type Pokémon? What does it have that the likes of Charizard and Magmortar lack?

Too much questions and not enough answers, really.

Pigs wallow in mud, mud has water, there you go? That and it was introduced in gen V, and so was scald? That's my only guesses.

No way Incineroar would get Surf. The reason Emboar got Scald is because Scald was a boiling hot water attack that burns the opponent. Surf is reserve mostly for Water types and those big enough to swim with. Incineroar is most unlikely unable to swim and could drown in water.
I'm not even certain why Emboar learns Scald in the first place. Ignoring Volcanion, Emboar's the only Fire type with this move. What exactly is it that makes only Emboar able to learn this move out of all Fire type Pokémon? What does it have that the likes of Charizard and Magmortar lack?

Too much questions and not enough answers, really.
Speaking of Surf, I've always found it super weird that Rhydon and Nidoking have access to it.

pigs are associated with water like tigers too, both can swim I think it would suit him good.
Incineroar lives on islands in Alola it would be that it can somehow travel fro,m island to island or not?
Nido is based on lizard and rhydon on a rhino both real life animals are able to swim.

Why should a new poke not gain some more interesting love + and Incineroar lack off speed will get recompensated like Emboar did.

I would not mind if Turtonator would get Scald and Surf.

Last edited:
I want Alolan Raichu to learn Surf.

Yeah... I thought surfing was the whole point of Raichu... it even has a Z-move termed as surfing... so much for The Legend of the Surfing Pikachu

imagine now a Surf tournament in pokemon anime a battle on boards.

I want Alolan Raichu to learn Surf.
Yeah... I thought surfing was the whole point of Raichu... it even has a Z-move termed as surfing... so much for The Legend of the Surfing Pikachu

I think it was sorta done so Raichu couldn't have a advantage over Ground-types. But with the ridiculous moves they gave Pikachu over the years and they do not give him that, yeah I can see why your mad. Double especially with Ryhorn and NidoKing able to learn Surf, and yet a Pokemon who is known for surfing doesn't have it.

I think it was sorta done so Raichu couldn't have a advantage over Ground-types. But with the ridiculous moves they gave Pikachu over the years and they do not give him that, yeah I can see why your mad. Double especially with Ryhorn and NidoKing able to learn Surf, and yet a Pokemon who is known for surfing doesn't have it.

maybe they could reduce the power of moves like Surf and similar to 80 and buff it with a effect like I mentioned above then more pokes could get it?
Imagine that it could block every special oriented water type move like Water gun even if your oponent is faster if used in the same turn.

Then again Alolan Raichu has now dark type and bug type wories, Surf would only allow it to fight ground types better but with its lack of speed?
(hope they ad Shadow Sneak but Ice Shard would be better or it could learn both, it needs the priority)

Incineroar with Bullet Punch would also be good.

would be cool if the game would allow weather changes to have 1-10 % chance of occuring during all battles outside of buildings without using moves or abilities.
Some Automatic weather that happens not depending only on where you battle.
(taking that deserts, seasons and snowy mountains are taken care of)
Rain, Sun, Tailwind(for your or oponents side) could have hapen more without your or oponents need to use a ability or move.

Sabley and it's Stall ability:
Why not make it learn Skill Swap and Entertaiment?
Would be perfect if they would change that and make it worthy to use more.

(also a Reverse Stall or Truant ability for the user that would work on the oponent and make it move last or take away a turn would be welcomed in gen 8, perfect for a ghost or magic clock based pokemon )

Then again Alolan Raichu has now dark type and bug type wories, Surf would only allow it to fight ground types better but with its lack of speed?

Excuse me? Alola Raichu has base 110 speed, which is fast, a lot fast. And it cannot be called "lack of speed". I think it's an insult to Raichu to call it slow,

Back
Top Bottom