• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Difficulty Spike?

Yeah, I hate the Battle Tree. Not gonna lie. I wish it were more like a more challenging elite four instead. I hate having access to only part of my team. I also hate that my champion team is worthless against these generated-to-beat-your-choices pokemon. I hate that being over level 50 means nothing. I'll never see these special trainers because, you know. I'm casual garbage and this isn't meant for people like me to enjoy, apparently. Where's a post game activity that I can use my ever-growing-in-strength team for? Where's the activity where I can continue to make pokemon stronger to face, without spending hours trying to create a pokemon with the perfect kick-sand-in-your-eyes gimmick-fest to deal with this BS? If I wanted to play smogon I'd play smogon. If I wanted to use a select few pokemon that can handle any situation, I'd take part in the big competitions.

I don't want to do that. I want to fight NPCs with my team as they grow stronger and stronger.

It's depressing seeing my pokemon growing with each level and knowing those stats ultimately mean nothing because I can't use them for anything except going through the elite four again and then fighting a random trainer.

Yeah, I hate the Battle Tree. Not gonna lie. I wish it were more like a more challenging elite four instead. I hate having access to only part of my team. I also hate that my champion team is worthless against these generated-to-beat-your-choices pokemon. I hate that being over level 50 means nothing. I'll never see these special trainers because, you know. I'm casual garbage and this isn't meant for people like me to enjoy, apparently. Where's a post game activity that I can use my ever-growing-in-strength team for? Where's the activity where I can continue to make pokemon stronger to face, without spending hours trying to create a pokemon with the perfect kick-sand-in-your-eyes gimmick-fest to deal with this BS? If I wanted to play smogon I'd play smogon. If I wanted to use a select few pokemon that can handle any situation, I'd take part in the big competitions.

I don't want to do that. I want to fight NPCs with my team as they grow stronger and stronger.

It's depressing seeing my pokemon growing with each level and knowing those stats ultimately mean nothing because I can't use them for anything except going through the elite four again and then fighting a random trainer.
No kidding. I probably spent half an hour just setting up a team because of the stupid restrictions on items...

I actually enjoy the Battles, but I still take issue with how we're expected to earn 96 Battle Points for all of the Power Items in a more difficult setting (+48 if you want a Destiny Knot and can't find one with Pickup, which wasn't a problem last game...). You need a well conceived team to go far in this Facility, but the equipment used to build teams is locked behind BP that you earn here (or at the Royal Dome)...And with nothing like a Battle Institute or the normal sets from older games where the difficulty is more tolerable and forgiving, its harder to earn BP in general. Unless you have a ton of Pokemon in the Bank or something.

I do miss having Battle outlets that didn't revolve around the competitive scene :/

Last edited:
I love multi-battles, teaming up with NPCs. It's one of the things I liked ever since Emerald. Even though the hax maison was the only battle facility we got in Gen6, we still had major NPCs available as partners in XY and ORAS. I'd say ORAS did great by letting us team up with Archie/Maxie, Wally, Brendan/May, and Steven Stone - all of them having decent AI. I was able to achieve my first ever 50th streak with Steven's help, and finally got my first ever trophy.

But in Sun and Moon... the multi-battle at battle tree is quite offending. You don't get to team up with any of your favorite NPCs. They're not available right away. Just some breeder who has terrible AI. And if you want major NPCs as your partner, you have to win battles to meet them, win against them, and scout them.

Yeah... what a way to mess up the battle facility. Can't even team up with a decent NPC unless I win a streak. They must be secretly enjoying taking away the few merciful treats that could help players.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy the Battles, but I still take issue with how we're expected to earn 96 Battle Points for all of the Power Items in a more difficult setting (+48 if you want a Destiny Knot and can't find one with Pickup, which wasn't a problem last game...). You need a well conceived team to go far in this Facility, but the equipment used to build teams is locked behind BP that you earn here (or at the Royal Dome)...And with nothing like a Battle Institute or the normal sets from older games where the difficulty is more tolerable and forgiving, its harder to earn BP in general. Unless you have a ton of Pokemon in the Bank or something.

I do miss having Battle outlets that didn't revolve around the competitive scene :/
You can get destiny knot for 48 pts in the first battle facility"forget the name" where the masked guy is on 2nd island.

But battle tree is dumb,it's great to have a challenge for serious players but I have a job and a wife,I don't have time to IV breed and EV train

Haven't reached the Battle Tree yet, but I've always hated that the post-game facilities are so hard. I don't mind a challenge, but even with a team with good IV's and trained EV's, I've never been able to get that 50 streak in any of the Super Battles in the Battle Maison.

Its major fault is that to be able to get far in the facility, you need well-bred and well-trained Pokémon. But to get these you need the Destiny Knot and Power Items, which you can only get by winning battles in that very same facility -_-

You can get destiny knot for 48 pts in the first battle facility"forget the name" where the masked guy is on 2nd island.

Well that's sort of a relief, though I've heard the Battle Royal ain't easy either?

Haven't reached the Battle Tree yet, but I've always hated that the post-game facilities are so hard. I don't mind a challenge, but even with a team with good IV's and trained EV's, I've never been able to get that 50 streak in any of the Super Battles in the Battle Maison.

Its major fault is that to be able to get far in the facility, you need well-bred and well-trained Pokémon. But to get these you need the Destiny Knot and Power Items, which you can only get by winning battles in that very same facility -_-

Well that's sort of a relief, though I've heard the Battle Royal ain't easy either?
No it's easy,It drops your pokemon to level 50 but you gets pts even if you lose,I played it for an hour and made it to the highest difficulty"unlike battle tree has difficulty settings" and got my destiny knot

If any of you want help with the Battle Tree and don't mind training one Pokemon up, get a Snow Warning Ninetales with Aurora Veil. I beat my way to Super Singles 50 streak first time using it, because Reflect + Light Screen in one turn is too much for the game to handle. This won't help those of you who don't want to use anything but your in-game team, but it's a suggestion to help those who are struggling and don't mind training an extra Pokemon up at least. Snow Warning helps break random Focus Sash holders too and my Ninetales had Encore which I could use against things using Protect or other non-damaging moves (it forces that annoying Stockpile Walrein NPC to switch out too).

Also not sure I'd call the Battle Royal "easy" either, since it's really cheap and the NPCs will often gang up on you continuously for no reason when their Pokemon could easily beat one of the other opponents on the field.

Speaking of teams, there is a feature where you can share teams and upload them via QR codes. Supposedly, you can borrow other people's teams for the the Battle Royal and the Battle Tree. Has anyone tried this feature?

Because if I can earn BP and scout NPCs using a borrowed team, then might as well get help from a friend or two and put a team together to share. That way, we won't have to spend too much time acquiring/training the pokemon that has the highest win potential.

Speaking of teams, there is a feature where you can share teams and upload them via QR codes. Supposedly, you can borrow other people's teams for the the Battle Royal and the Battle Tree. Has anyone tried this feature?

Because if I can earn BP and scout NPCs using a borrowed team, then might as well get help from a friend or two and put a team together to share. That way, we won't have to spend too much time acquiring/training the pokemon that has the highest win potential.
I really hope this is true,it'd be a nice feature for the we scanner.

Battle Royale is kinda cheap,but once you figure out the computers strategy"their gonna get to a Pokemon with low HP before you" you can gain pts easy, especially once you unlock the harder difficulties

I really hope this is true,it'd be a nice feature for the we scanner.

Battle Royale is kinda cheap,but once you figure out the computers strategy"their gonna get to a Pokemon with low HP before you" you can gain pts easy, especially once you unlock the harder difficulties
lol I didn't have too much trouble with the royal, even at the highest difficulty. I went in there with my Wishiwashi and kinda just spammed surf. It's cheap but it worked :p

I think the problem with the tree is that it only caters to one kind of player. I happen to love the facilities like this. They simulate competitive play and I enjoy that because I don't wanna play with other people. But for those that don't want that, there's really no equivalent. Was this REALLY the spectacular facility that gen 6 backpacker was raving about?? Plus, it really is difficult. Even if you have perfectly bred and trained Pokémon, the AI sometimes throws stuff at you that seems just there to specifically counter what was working for you. It's like all the tree npcs talk to each other "hey, he's got a wishiwashi and forgot to bring a fire-type, send out AL grass Pokémon." I still haven't even unlocked super single or double.

The Battle Royal is very cheap. Most of the time I play, the CPU's will steal my KO's and the Pokemon there are usually generated to beat mine. They also often spam moves like Protect when I play and they can often get the status allignment for a move with a 30% chance. Not to mention moves like Focus Blast always hit and they will always target me if a Pokemon is not below 50%

A lot applies to the Battle Tree as well and not to mention, the breeder's AI is just god awful. Her Barbaracle goes down in one hit each round and I'm often left to fend for myself if Hawlucha isn't taken down. Also, I hear most of the generated Pokemon have perfect IV's. I don't like these facilities because they require Pokemon that have been trained for competitive battling. Plus, a lot of the items you need for that is locked behind massive ammounts of BP, and that is hard to grind.

I can be semi-decent at the Battle Tree-got up to Super Single and Super Double, at least-and I cleared the Battle Royal, but I just hate how both of them are set up. A challenge should be "this person is genuinely tough to beat", not "this person is set up specifically to counter the choices you like to make". And for all that they did lock behind that BP wall, it's strange that even when Mega Stones can only be bought there-taking away the fun of getting them through different hidden secrets, IMO, but I can see how some people would dislike it-they still keep so many Mega Stones out of the game entirely. (Not to mention that the stones for the starters are only obtained after beating Red-which, of course, you're not told)

And like Esserise said, gosh do I miss the Black Tower/White Treehollow feature. Your Pokemon's levels actually matter, you can actually use it to train up Pokemon, the floors had different levels of Pokemon... It was an absolute dream. And trainers in the Towerhollow still showed off strategies, but it didn't have to be super hard to beat them.

I tried to compete in the Battle Tree, but didn't have the patience to face all the lag. I also don't have the patience to actually EV Train a team, because EV Training is such a long and tedious task. >_<

Triple Battles, the type that I was the best at in Gen VI, are removed. I didn't even bother with the Battle Tree, since my team is nowhere near ready to deal with the cheating AI. There definitely should be multiple "difficulty" levels so I don't have to deal with unobtainable legendaries hand-picked to give my team hell.

so I don't have to deal with unobtainable legendaries
(hope you don't mind me jumping on this)Oh, there's what I forgot-the fact that NPCs will have entire teams of legendaries in the Battle Royal (haven't seen any in the Battle Tree yet), and we're supposed to just go along with it, even with all the questions it raises. Why is this never mentioned by anyone else? Why aren't they more famous for such a feat? Why the heck can't we bring in our legendary? It doesn't make sense from a storyline or a gameplay perspective.

I actually enjoy the difficulty of the Battle Tree. It made my 50 win streak in Super Singles feel like a massive accomplishment. Although it's mostly because I like to do all the stuff that goes into making a team for the Tree. I do really miss the Battle Frontier though, specifically Rental Battle facilities.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom