• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP42: Rocking Kalos Defenses!

Damn that was so freakin' epic I didn't even realize how fast everything was going. Too bad the dub couldn't have air this as an hour special like the original:(

Wow, so after MGyarados pulverizes into Ash and Alain for a majority of the last episode, this time Lysandre just lets it take like 4 attacks and it goes down. That was pretty lame after all the hype. But damn, Lysandre letting himself falling off the rooftop was something else. Of course Ash would try to save him. I'm surprised Alain didn't though...

I almost forgot Ash and co. had those little Walkie Talkies Clemont made. I was just wondering last week if they'd ever use them. Okay, so the giant rock absorbed Chespie and became a giant stone Zygarde. Yeah...that's weird. But I'm just annoyed with the fact Mairin didn't put that thing in its PokeBall once again. Having him out of his Pokeball is what caused the first problem and now this. This chick is officially one of my all time least favorite characters, no question. Moving on from that though, I like that Clemont was still shocked about Clembot's sacrifice. And at least Bunnelby and Chespin looked sad this time. Luxray tho...

Glad to see Serena fighting alongside Sycamore and Steven. Wish Braxien would have evolve after the other 2 Mega Evolved. Also am I the only one a bit upset that Serena didn't mention Bonnie when the others showed up. I get that she wasn't battling, but showing her relief that she was okay would have been nice. I also really didn't like that the rivals were left to just standing around in the Pokemon Center. I think it would have been better if they would have been apart of everything. Also, I'm really mad that Ash and Clemont thanked Serena for her help and just told her to keep Bonnie safe at the end. What the hell, was she not supposed to be battling to save her region as well? And why on earth would they tell a fully capable trainer to just stand back when they needed all the help they could get? Mairin can watch Bonnie since she's the one who hasn't helped in a single battle in this entire arc. And its even worse that Serena didn't insist to be part of the battle and go up to with the others. Okay, mini rant over:/

But damn that entrance of the Gym Leaders and Diantha was amazing. Can't wait for next week. 9.5/10.

I waited so long for this episode, but the dub kinda screwed up a major moment. The Gym Leader's entrance. First of all, it was very awkward to have those eyecatchers or whatever come up, with no text. I didn't see anything like "Korrina. Shalour City Gym Leader". Secondly, the music choice was so poor. I don't like to compare the dub to the Japanese version, but the music here was so dull for such an exciting moment. I knew they wouldn't play Volt, but they could have done so much better.

Its still an incredible episode though, full of tension and action.

I waited so long for this episode, but the dub kinda screwed up a major moment. The Gym Leader's entrance. First of all, it was very awkward to have those eyecatchers or whatever come up, with no text. I didn't see anything like "Korrina. Shalour City Gym Leader". Secondly, the music choice was so poor. I don't like to compare the dub to the Japanese version, but the music here was so dull for such an exciting moment. I knew they wouldn't play Volt, but they could have done so much better.

The sad thing is that none of what you're saying is a surprise at all.

The sad thing is that none of what you're saying is a surprise at all.
It isn't really a surprise. Many knew they'd make these changes, but I didn't think they'd be this bad. When Volt played in the original version, alongside that awesome Gym Leader intro, I was so excited. Here, it was just like, oh. The Gym Leaders are here.

And the action continues! What a fantastic story! Once again I was being kept at the edge of my seat, eagerly waiting for what would be next. If only all Pokemon episodes could be like the recent ones!
What I liked best was the pretty dramatic entrace of the gym leaders, together with two champions (although I'm still unwilling to call Diantha a true champion), Mega Garchomp, Ash and Ash-Greninja and Alain. This truly is the Kalos region's most powerful team. Although it wouldn't have hurt if the other Elite Four members apart from Malva had joined, too. It could have only been topped by an appearance of Lance and Her Majesty herself.

This time, once again, I don't have to say all that much because everything was exciting and good as it could get and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this episode from the beginning to the end! (If only there wasn't that painful waiting time for the next episode...)

Its still an incredible episode though, full of tension and action.
Yeah, the dub's music is really poor and that hurts the Team Flare arc quite a lot. I mean, the arc is dark, serious and has tons of peril and action in it with such brilliant and hard hitting music yet the dub just uses the same boring and generic stock music we've heard 8 million, four hundred and fifty times making the whole arc look like some friendly squabble.

On the plus side, the entrances without the text will certainly make great wallpapers in case anyone's a fan of one of the Gym Leaders. Though you'll still have the annoying Cartoon Network logo at the bottom to deal with.

I mean, if this was 4Kids they would have played the English opening to the first XY season to kind of at least mimic what the Japanese version did, y'know?
I wouldn't have minded this actually. I think it would have delivered more of the excitement that the original version had with that particular scene.

Minor quibble: I wish they'd stop referring to that thing as the "giant rock." Every time they do, I get Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series flashbacks.

"Oh my God, a giant rock!"
"Yes, clearly it was my destiny to behold this giant rock."

You know, it's sad that I've completely forgotten that XYZ is still airing in the U.S.

I'll have to catch up on the last few episodes once they hit Netflix.

A lot happened that episode. So action packed.

Good to see the gym leaders again :D. Especially Korrina and Valerie ;). Sucks no other gym leaders were invited though, we knew there's more than 8 in anime canon ;O. Also sucks for Grant that he's the only one with an unevolved Pokemon.

Some questionable move choices with all those special attacks on psychical attackers! seems Phsycial attacks had the most impact on the weird Zygarde rock too...

Also, Kalos sure did seem to be rocky the entire region as the rock went from one end to the other, weird.

Oh and stop crying about your darn robot Clement, it's a robot.

Ps I wish I could dislike posts for all this moaning about "ew dub"

So I just want to start by throwing a shout out to Mr. Narrator who does a really good job of setting the tone for these episodes. He really is pulling out all the serious/dramatic voice stops so we know how grave the situation is.

I really feel like the English voice cast is doing such a good job handling these episodes.

Team Rocket makes out so much better when they are acting as the good guys and are helping in the fight to save people instead of their usual selfish stealing Pokémon modus operandi. They can never seem to be able to connect the dots on this.

Wish Serena had been given more to do, as usual. I guess I should be glad that she was able to participate in the battle from the helicopter. I understand why she was asked to look after Mairin and Bonnie. Someone had to protect those two as they did not have any Pokes they could battle with to protect themselves. And since Ash & Alain are two of the strongest trainers there they need to be in the fight. Although, to be honest, they could have put Sycamore in charge of them, too, I suppose. *shrugs*

So apparently Steven has some nice computer hacking skills he was able to put to use to get the information about Chespie and the ...wait for it... Giant Rock!
Honestly, can't they call that thing a Monolith or Megalith or something other than Giant Rock! all the time?

Ash, our stalwart hero, does not even flinch when Serena calls him about RockZygarde, and Steven & Augustine tell him he needs to come in a hurry and bring Blaziken Mask with him. Because, hey, if a 10 year old child cannot organize a rescue group and help come to the aide of the adults who will save us? And look at how happy everyone is when they realize that he has shown up with Alain and Charizard in tow. It was really cool to see Ash & Gre linking their powers together to look into RockGarde and find Chespie.

Was cool to see all the gym leaders assemble to help in the fight. It was weird seeing the text erased from the original Japanese episode, but I guess it didn't look too bad. Anyone who didn't see the original eppy would just think that they were 'highlighting' the gym leaders having arrived.

Pretty exciting stuff. *runs off to watch next episode*.

So, the beastly Mega Gyarados is finally knocked out by Alain's Charizard. Cool.... But what...? Did Lysandre just jump off the Prism Tower upon losing a battle. WHYYY?? Why would you do? Glad that Malva actually felt bad that Lysandre took such a step. Shows the two deep bond (kinda en-strangled!?) between the two.

I know I have been saying this a lot lately, but serious Team Rocket is just so... cool! I just love the way they have been in this arc. :cool:(y) And the fact that they resumed their reporting after defeating Team Flare, was just plain awesome by my standards. Seriously, just quit Team Rocket and do you own thing, you guys! Also, props to Jessie for correctly commanding Wobbuffet to use Mirror Coat to counter Special Moves. (y)

You know, I think the writers should have explained "the world explosion by the Giant Rock and Sundial meeting" a bit more elaborately, but I guess it's just me. You know, some things have to be forgone in favor of something else more epic, and I completely appreciate whatever the writers did in this entire arc, with all my passion. (y)

So, Ash and Greninja can detect Chespie within the Giant Rock with the help of Bond Phenomenon. Okay... Not too shabby, I guess... However, the major highlight of the episode: the spectacular entry of the Gym Leaders and Diantha; this was just brilliantly amazing. I am also personally glad that Ash had a little chat with Korrina and Olympia. Am I the only one who ships Viola and Grant?:love:

There you go, XY series, next up, the Team Flare arc finale!

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom