• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Z-Moves: Do you even use them?

z moves are pretty cool, I dont really use them that much seeing usually its just a extra powered move but at the disposal of the item slot.

Guaranteed in serious battles (rival, elite four, top trainers etc.), sometimes in Trainer battles and rarely in wild Pokemon battles (unless they tick me off). I enjoy using them and they've become a staple in my battle strategy. I hope they're featured in future generations as well.

I sometimes used them when they were on red cuz it was funny

Of course! Four Pokemon on my team are holding Z-Crystals.

I actually like Z-Moves better than Mega Evolutions since pretty much all Pokemon can use Z-Moves, so you don't feel like you need to have a Pokemon that can Mega Evolve on your team.

I can't give my first Eevee an Eevee Z-Move because she already has an Everstone, and I don't want her to evolve.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

From an in-game perspective, I actually used them as my main held items on every Pokémon that didn't have an item I wanted to use on it, as I tend not to use held items in the main game otherwise (since my choices are mostly limited to how I want to save a majority of them for the postgame and multiplayer battles, i.e. Focus Sash). Using them wasn't too different, actually, since I wanted to forgo usage of the Exp. Share. This became a major problem with my team when...
I had to face an Ultra Beast for the first time - I didn't know it was super-weak to physical and ground-type attacks, so trying to figure that out while relatively even or slightly underlevelled was quite a rush (I basically had to use my Wishiwashi to Hydro Vortex it, and unfortunately, it was Bold Nature so I figured that it'd be better to focus on its special attacks instead), and this was a constant theme throughout the entire story as I became more and more underlevelled compared to the trainers I was facing. Even when I used the Exp. Share to grind when it came time to face the Pokémon League, I deliberately kept all my main Pokémon underlevelled except for Solgaleo (who was kept out of the EXP and training loop for the League) to keep the admittedly insane challenge factor up. (You may say that it's not a true challenge if it's not a Nuzlocke, but to be honest, I hate that play style and it's another matter entirely anyway.)

So with all that said in the spoiler, overall I used them quite heavily - except for the initial fight with Kahuna Hala.

There's great potential to run a Z-Crystal for a beatstick that could take care of threats quicker than any other option you could potentially use instead, as demonstrated with a very popular VGC 2017 set right now with Tapu Lele and a Psychium Z as its held item - using Shattered Psyche in combination with Psychic Terrain boasts incredible power! It's not braindead, though, as you still need to pick and choose wisely - especially if the opposing team packs a Dark-type that could just absorb it on a switch-in prediction no problem. Sometimes the incredible potential of the exclusive Z-Moves largely go unexplored, due to the mon's stats not being the best, but hey - that's another story for another day.
I can't give my first Eevee an Eevee Z-Move because she already has an Everstone, and I don't want her to evolve.
How far are you into the story? I must warn you:
You can only get the Eevium Z Z-Crystal in the postgame.

From an in-game perspective, I actually used them as my main held items on every Pokémon that didn't have an item I wanted to use on it, as I tend not to use held items in the main game otherwise (since my choices are mostly limited to how I want to save a majority of them for the postgame and multiplayer battles, i.e. Focus Sash). Using them wasn't too different, actually, since I wanted to forgo usage of the Exp. Share. This became a major problem with my team when...
I had to face an Ultra Beast for the first time - I didn't know it was super-weak to physical and ground-type attacks, so trying to figure that out while relatively even or slightly underlevelled was quite a rush (I basically had to use my Wishiwashi to Hydro Vortex it, and unfortunately, it was Bold Nature so I figured that it'd be better to focus on its special attacks instead), and this was a constant theme throughout the entire story as I became more and more underlevelled compared to the trainers I was facing. Even when I used the Exp. Share to grind when it came time to face the Pokémon League, I deliberately kept all my main Pokémon underlevelled except for Solgaleo (who was kept out of the EXP and training loop for the League) to keep the admittedly insane challenge factor up. (You may say that it's not a true challenge if it's not a Nuzlocke, but to be honest, I hate that play style and it's another matter entirely anyway.)

So with all that said in the spoiler, overall I used them quite heavily - except for the initial fight with Kahuna Hala.

There's great potential to run a Z-Crystal for a beatstick that could take care of threats quicker than any other option you could potentially use instead, as demonstrated with a very popular VGC 2017 set right now with Tapu Lele and a Psychium Z as its held item - using Shattered Psyche in combination with Psychic Terrain boasts incredible power! It's not braindead, though, as you still need to pick and choose wisely - especially if the opposing team packs a Dark-type that could just absorb it on a switch-in prediction no problem. Sometimes the incredible potential of the exclusive Z-Moves largely go unexplored, due to the mon's stats not being the best, but hey - that's another story for another day.

How far are you into the story? I must warn you:
You can only get the Eevium Z Z-Crystal in the postgame.
I already got the Championship.

Z-Moves are great, but I was turned off by how they're one use per battle. I wanted my whole party to be Z-Powered, but now I can't. :<

I already got the Championship.
Well then, if that's the case, have you already
gone to the Thrifty Megamart? Talk to a Veteran inside there, and you'll see what you need to do for the Eevium Z there.

The very least I will say - level Eevee up to 50 while you do this, haha.
I wanted my whole party to be Z-Powered, but now I can't. :<
Well, you understand how game-breaking that would be, right? It's the same gameplay balance that forces only one Mega Evolution per battle - and on top of that, they make it so that Rayquaza cannot Mega Evolve if it's holding a Z-Crystal!

Well, you understand how game-breaking that would be, right? It's the same gameplay balance that forces only one Mega Evolution per battle - and on top of that, they make it so that Rayquaza cannot Mega Evolve if it's holding a Z-Crystal!

It would be game-breaking, but it would be a fun way to mess around post-game.

Haven't used them. Same goes for Mega Evolution which I didn't use very often as well. The only exception I use Mega Evolution is when my oponent uses it.
To me it gives an advantage which is just against my ethics of fair sportsmanship.

To me it gives an advantage which is just against my ethics of fair sportsmanship.
And yet Mega Rayquaza exists.

Edit: In all seriousness, when you get to the real tough stuff, it's probably better to be safe than sorry - if you want to stand a chance, anyway. But that's a story for a player who's intent on battle.

Last edited:
Well then, if that's the case, have you already
gone to the Thrifty Megamart? Talk to a Veteran inside there, and you'll see what you need to do for the Eevium Z there.

The very least I will say - level Eevee up to 50 while you do this, haha.

I didn't fight them yet.
My main Eevee has a higher level than that, I don't want her to evolve and didn't know I could press B to cancel it. It also seems a Pokémon needs you to press A for it to evolve.

And yet Mega Rayquaza exists.

Edit: In all seriousness, when you get to the real tough stuff, it's probably better to be safe than sorry - if you want to stand a chance, anyway. But that's a story for a player who's intent on battle.

Oh yeah, my bad. I should've specified that I was purely refering to story / in-game playing, lol. For the metagame it's a whole different story, but I don't battle a lot online, so it isn't my primary concern.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom