• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Game in 2017

What pokemon game do you want to see in 2017 after Sun and Moon

• Gen 4 Remake

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Sun and Moon Sequel

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Pokemon Eclipse

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pokemon Kanto Sequel

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Pokemon Spin-off (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2017)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • None of the above, 2017 will have a break year

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
I think if Stars is to come out in 2017, it is most likely to be a simple port, perhaps with a few 'bonus' Pokemon but no large enough alternations for it to be considered it's own game and very little, if any alterations to the plot (the most I'm going with is a few lines of dialogue being reworded, or an extra line of dialogue or two at most). That's just what I see as most likely, anyway. Just because some of the rumor is true, it doesn't mean all of the rumor is true.

I'm hoping for Stars to be like Platinum and HGSS put together. Also I found this Geno's Nintendo Switch Ramblings but let's just take this as a grain of salt
I think if Stars is to come out in 2017, it is most likely to be a simple port, perhaps with a few 'bonus' Pokemon but no large enough alternations for it to be considered it's own game and very little, if any alterations to the plot (the most I'm going with is a few lines of dialogue being reworded, or an extra line of dialogue or two at most). That's just what I see as most likely, anyway. Just because some of the rumor is true, it doesn't mean all of the rumor is true.
I don't know if this 20 new pokemon thing is real, it might turn out to be either new megas or new alolan forms, but I hope Stars will have a expanded story of Sun and Moon
They can pull off Platinum-level plot changes in a year, even with the Switch transition taking up their time.
I'm trying to see how much stuff will be on Pokemon Stars?

Why do you think so? I find Sinnoh remakes in 2017 have almost no chance of happening due to Stars and multiple other reasons.

Well, Sinnoh remakes was what I was hoping for, but obviously it won't be happening this year. I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes this year.

I'm honestly hoping that whatever Pokemon 'Stars' is, it's some kind of spin-off, or a HD version of Sun/Moon, or Sinnoh Remakes. Updated Alola on new hardware would make me sad because I don't want a split region (or even a split gen tbh). I hope GF either 'polish' Sun/Moon into a third or sequel and put it on the 3DS for one final swan song, or just leave it alone and move onto 8th gen on the Switch. I dislike the idea of having to buy 2 consoles to fully enjoy everything Alola has to offer. It would feel weird. But hey, I know money-making is always the bottom line in business.

Someone may have already come up with this, but I was thinking it would be really cool if they came up with a type of memory link for a potential SM sequel that would allow you to import yourself as Alola champion into the game. It would be almost like battling yourself as Red in Gen II, except the technology is such that I think it would be possible for it to actually be your own team (I mean we could set up our teams for people to battle in secret bases in ORAS, so it is a roughly similar concept). I think it would be ever more cool if you could also send your name and custom outfit/character design. Then we could really battle ourselves. Of course there would have to be an alternative champion for those that didn't have SM, so it might work better to just have it as a postgame item, like memory link was, but I think it would be much cooler if it was actually as champion.

Anyway, I think something like that would make a sequel really worthwhile, although the Lillie stuff has me thinking about a Kanto sequel a bit too.

How about this?

2017 - Sun and Moon for the Switch
2018 - Break
2019 - Gen VIII for the Switch
2020 - Sinnoh remake for the Switch

They skipped the Hoenn remakes in Gen V in order to make them on the superior device (3DS as opposed to DS), so maybe they will do the same for Sinnoh since everybody is talking about lag (I have the old XL but I only see the lag when I go online, is that what people are referring to?).

How about this?

2017 - Sun and Moon for the Switch
2018 - Break
2019 - Gen VIII for the Switch
2020 - Sinnoh remake for the Switch

They skipped the Hoenn remakes in Gen V in order to make them on the superior device (3DS as opposed to DS), so maybe they will do the same for Sinnoh since everybody is talking about lag (I have the old XL but I only see the lag when I go online, is that what people are referring to?).
I was thinking the same exact timeline, but with an addition of:
2021 - Kanto sequel

The lag is present whenever you battle at the Battle Tree with a Double or Multi format. It occurs at the Battle Royal Dome as well.

Waiting until 2021 to do Kanto sequels really wouldn't be ideal. The Gen I hype from Go and everything is right now. It can be stretched to 2018, but not 2021. We still have things like Mew's Z-Move, Lillie going to Kanto, Red and Blue having new adult designs, and the upcoming movie which, instead of being the usual Mythical Pokémon spotlight, is actually a reboot of Ash's adventure starting from Kanto, and if they're going to do anything with this stuff, then it has to be paid off soon.

Plus, Kanto sequels are the only actually new idea anybody has come up with for what they could do. New Gen Pair + Remakes is becoming a rather formulaic prediction. It would be in Game Freak's best interest to avoid becoming so predictable.

Last edited:
I feel that the people who are complaining about too much Kanto pandering in XY and SM don't realize that the next generation won't be any different unless Kanto, the region, is revisited first.

Call it a necessary evil if you dislike the region so much. Or just grow up.

I feel that the people who are complaining about too much Kanto pandering in XY and SM don't realize that the next generation won't be any different unless Kanto, the region, is revisited first.

Call it a necessary evil if you dislike the region so much. Or just grow up.

I'm warming up to the idea of Kanto remakes, but only if they REVAMP everything. Revamp with a capital R. I'd like to see a storyline. (Bonus: It involves Mewtwo, the fully evolved Starters, and Mew).

Sequels. Isn't it obvious that those are more likely than Kanto remakes after Game Freak made Red and Blue age and sent Lillie and Lusamine to Kanto?

Waiting until 2021 to do Kanto sequels really wouldn't be ideal. The Gen I hype from Go and everything is right now. It can be stretched to 2018, but not 2021. We still have things like Mew's Z-Move, Lillie going to Kanto, Red and Blue having new adult designs, and the upcoming movie which, instead of being the usual Mythical Pokémon spotlight, is actually a reboot of Ash's adventure starting from Kanto, and if they're going to do anything with this stuff, then it has to be paid off soon.

Plus, Kanto sequels are the only actually new idea anybody has come up with for what they could do. New Gen Pair + Remakes is becoming a rather formulaic prediction. It would be in Game Freak's best interest to avoid becoming so predictable.

But everybody is complaining that the 3DS lags too much.

But everybody is complaining that the 3DS lags too much.

So don't release it for the 3DS. Or do, but with less stuff weighing it down in comparison to the Switch version. Essentially, the 3DS version would be to the Switch version what the 2DS console is to the 3DS - a cheaper, less-capable option for people who can't shell out for a huge expense.

So don't release it for the 3DS. Or do, but with less stuff weighing it down in comparison to the Switch version.

I would prefer revisiting Sinnoh before another Kanto game.
They can make them available on both devices if they want, I want Sinnoh on the 3DS at least.
I know the 3DS can play the original Sinnoh games, but it's probably no longer in stock and you can't transfer your Pokémon to Sun and Moon.

I would prefer revisiting Sinnoh before another Kanto game.
They can make them available on both devices if they want, I want Sinnoh on the 3DS at least.
I know the 3DS can play the original Sinnoh games, but it's probably no longer in stock and you can't transfer your Pokémon to Sun and Moon.

If that's what you prefer then it's what you prefer.

I just think that the idea of Sinnoh remakes being next it's far less opportune (there will pretty much always be more interest in Kanto than in Sinnoh, but especially right now when we have so much Kanto-based promotion), far less creative (everybody defaults to "remakes" as an answer for secondary releases, making it awfully predictable), and far too soon (people have really only just now started asking for Sinnoh remakes; Hoenn went a few years with people asking before Game Freak finally decided to remake ORAS).

Furthermore, Sinnoh remakes for the 3DS probably aren't going to be able to be a huge advancement of what SM already offer because they'd be on a dying console. Waiting until the Switch to remake Sinnoh allows them to reshape the games on a whole new graphical and technical level, and the transition back to a mono-screen system will force them to be more innovative about how they implement the very dual-screen-based features of DP, just as the dual-screen of the 3DS allowed them to get creative with adding new features to ORAS (giving us the PokéNav Plus). Were they to remake Sinnoh for the 3DS, you'd basically just be getting a sexier, faster version of DP.

Plus, the fact that DPP can already be played on the 3DS gives them an excuse to not release a downgraded 3DS version of the full Switch game. At least with Kanto sequels, it makes sense to make the concession to 3DS players, because otherwise, they're missing out on a completely new experience, because even though the games would be in Kanto, it would be Kanto like never before. Whereas DP remakes really would be, as I said, just a nicer version of DP, something that 3DS players can already access the fundamental experience of. The non-Switch version of the DP remakes ultimately already exists.

The question we have to ask is, do we want to waste the potential of DP remakes on being more-or-less "Platinum, but in 3D!", or would it be better to hold off and let Kanto sequels bite the awkward transition bullet, which at least lets the 3DS end on an original note.

Last edited:
If that's what you prefer then it's what you prefer.

I just think that the idea of Sinnoh remakes being next it's far less opportune (there will pretty much always be more interest in Kanto than in Sinnoh, but especially right now when we have so much Kanto-based promotion), far less creative (everybody defaults to "remakes" as an answer for secondary releases, making it awfully predictable), and far too soon (people have really only just now started asking for Sinnoh remakes; Hoenn went a few years with people asking before Game Freak finally decided to remake ORAS).

Furthermore, Sinnoh remakes for the 3DS probably aren't going to be able to be a huge advancement of what SM already offer because they'd be on a dying console. Waiting until the Switch to remake Sinnoh allows them to reshape the games on a whole new graphical and technical level, and the transition back to a mono-screen system will force them to be more innovative about how they implement the very dual-screen-based features of DP, just as the dual-screen of the 3DS allowed them to get creative with adding new features to ORAS (giving us the PokéNav Plus). Were they to remake Sinnoh for the 3DS, you'd basically just be getting a sexier, faster version of DP.

Plus, the fact that DPP can already be played on the 3DS gives them an excuse to not release a downgraded 3DS version of the full Switch game. At least with Kanto sequels, it makes sense to make the concession to 3DS players, because otherwise, they're missing out on a completely new experience, because even though the games would be in Kanto, it would be Kanto like never before. Whereas DP remakes really would be, as I said, just a nicer version of DP, something that 3DS players can already access the fundamental experience of. The non-Switch version of the DP remakes ultimately already exists.

I read the original DP games were reprinted in Malaysia. They can do that for now to satisfy some people, but transferring your Pokémon would be an issue.

I read the original DP games were reprinted in Malaysia. They can do that for now to satisfy some people, but transferring your Pokémon would be an issue.

There's nothing you can get in DP that you can't already get in XY/ORAS/SM. The ability to transfer from those games isn't really a necessity.

There's nothing you can get in DP that you can't already get in XY/ORAS/SM. The ability to transfer from those games isn't really a necessity.

Including the starters?

Also, would a sequel require people to have played the original games in order to understand the story? I am not willing to play RBGY on VC, the graphics are horrible.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom