• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you fix Unown (No this isn't a joke thread)

Morningstar

Memeber
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how the Symbol Pokémon can be improved.

As it stands, Unown is a Pokemon known for being a convoluted way to send messages and for its limited moveset (also the reason why you can't say Oricorio or Typhlosion have the shallowest movepools). How would you buff the symbol pokemon? (yes I have some ideas, but I'l post them later)

I'm curious as to how the Symbol Pokémon can be improved.

As it stands, Unown is a Pokemon known for being a convoluted way to send messages and for its limited moveset (also the reason why you can't say Oricorio or Typhlosion have the shallowest movepools). How would you buff the symbol pokemon? (yes I have some ideas, but I'l post them later)
Give it a HA that gives it a new move or three when in a double battle, etc, with other Unown.

Zygarde is boring.

I would follow the third movie by having the Unown create imaginary variants of other Pokemon. A puzzle would allow the player to use Unown letters to spell out the name of the desired Pokemon, as well as its ability and three of its moves (Hidden Power would be forced, but its power would be doubled).

Sure, some of the results could be pretty broken, but they would be banned from official tournaments and battle facilities. At least they would be fun to use casually due to the virtually endless possibilities, which is more than can be said for banned legendaries.

Last edited:
Zygarde is boring.

I would follow the third movie by having the Unown create imaginary variants of other Pokemon. A puzzle would allow the player to use Unown letters to spell out the name of the desired Pokemon, as well as its ability and three of its moves (Hidden Power would be forced, but its power would be doubled).

Sure, some of the results could be pretty broken, but they would be banned from official tournaments and battle facilities. At least they would be fun to use casually due to the virtually endless posibilities, which is more than can be said for banned legendaries.

That would be an interesting idea, though it might be broken for a different reason, (Pokedex completion). Maybe it could be a Transform-esque form change, changing into a crystalline version of the pokemon that wouldn't count towards the pokedex? (Also, I would like to point out that it still has similarities with Zygarde, and that it may cause localization issues)

Ahem, As I said before. I will post my ideas. The first of which would be a simple chnage to the Movepool, (Namely the lack of one) I would have it access the following moves:

• Most Psychic-type special moves.
  • The usual 90 or 110 BP Special TM Moves
  • And Eye related attacks such as Glare, Baby-Doll Eyes or Mean Look.
Among other things.

The next step would also be to add a new move, something similar to Hidden Power, but with 90 BP and the type being based on what resists the HP type.

That would be an interesting idea, though it might be broken for a different reason, (Pokedex completion). Maybe it could be a Transform-esque form change, changing into a crystalline version of the pokemon that wouldn't count towards the pokedex? (Also, I would like to point out that it still has similarities with Zygarde, and that it may cause localization issues).
They wouldn't count toward the Pokedex. And Game Freak could just use a universal language - giving Pokemon latin names would be cool. Maybe moves and abilities will just be borrowed from real Pokemon in the player's party.

And no, it wouldn't be similar to Zygarde beyond having to collect Unown. Collecting all symbols should be a given, anyway.

Last edited:
A complete form with all of them fusing together (yes, after you have caught all 28 Unown) and having four signature moves.

What if all the Unown Forms are keys into unlocking the greatest Unown Form of them all? You have to collect all the "keys" to open a secret ruin door, solve a few puzzles along the way and discover a secret form forgotten for centuries.

I think Zygarde's gimmick is nifty enough... for Zygarde. I don't think it's the sort of thing you can recycle for other Pokémon. In fact, in general they don't tend to recycle a form's gimmick once it has been done. They may reuse the alternation mechanism (e.g., changed via key item, changed via overworld object), but there's usually still some significant difference (for instance, Genesect differs from Arceus in that the Drives only change the type of Techno Blast, and as of now it can't use Z-Crystals to that same effect like how Arceus can use either Plates or Z-Crystals with Multitype). Silvally is an exception, but that's the whole point of it.

Besides, the Unown have never been suggested to "merge" or anything like that. I know, I know, all it takes is a sentence in the right place to retcon that, but I think they'd be more likely to play to something that has actually been long-established about the Unown - probably to do with that "odd power" that is said to emerge when two or more are brought together. It's not that the Unown merge to form a singular, all-powerful being, but rather, it's that their individual powers working in concert contain the potential to do something.

I think Silktree's idea is a good extension of this, and would be a lovely little nod to Spell of the Unown. The localization thing would be an issue, but then again, they've had us learn Braille in order to access nonessential Legendary Pokémon before. Latin or even English doesn't seem like too much more of an ask, and they could always include a section on it in the strategy guide or something.

Lore-wise, maybe they could even use that to tie back into the Sinjoh Ruins event. Perhaps what went on there was Arceus "directing" the Unown to create an illusory form of one of the Sinnoh dragons, and Arceus's role in the process was simply to materialize it. I think that could even explain why there are images of Fossil Pokémon at the Ruins of Alph, despite the fact that they should have been extinct by then (except Kabuto, but that's in extremely rare cases) - perhaps the Alph civilization were shown illusory versions of those Pokémon by the Unown. But for what reason? Maybe just pure knowledge - what if those stone puzzles were actually a very crude attempt at something like a Pokédex, and the Unown trusted the people of Alph enough to share their knowledge? The Unown are pretty much the epitome of the series's "Gotta Catch 'Em All" motive, so I think it'd be oddly fitting if they themselves were some kind of living, breathing Pokédex. Their name even lampshades it; the Pokédex's purpose is to know and categorize what is not yet known.

Plus, the illusory Pokémon would be a lot of fun. You could "test out" Pokémon that you can't get in your version (or even in that set of games), and I could actually use Legendary Pokémon without spoiling the purity of my trophies.

Last edited:
I hope they can expand on the Unown in potential Sinnoh remakes. A sidequest with Arceus and the Unown would be mysterious and extravagant.
^ This.
It'll also be a good way to explore the other dimensions in the series. The UB, Unkown, Temporal and Spatial dimensions.

As far as moves are concerned, perhaps at a certain level unkown could gain their own version of 'Hidden Power' that's a bit more powerful than the normal version. Something like 'Hidden Force' with an added 30 base power or something similar?

Lore-wise, maybe they could even use that to tie back into the Sinjoh Ruins event. Perhaps what went on there was Arceus "directing" the Unown to create an illusory form of one of the Sinnoh dragons, and Arceus's role in the process was simply to materialize it.
Arceus itself is illusory.

Rewatch the third movie. Molly and Delia rode on an illusory Entei that nearly killed Charizard; it only disappeared after Molly had been convinced to return to reality.
The anime's not totally canon to the games, but I do see your point.

Basically shape it into a new mon:

Unown (Normal Type)
HP 72
ATK 72
DEF 72
SP.A 144
SP.D 72
SPEE 72

Ability: Pure Power

Learn Moves:

01 - Hidden Power
01 - Curious Power (Hidden Power, but physical, types are calculated in such a way that all Pokemon will have a different HP & CP type.)
05 - Power Swap
10 - Secret Power
15 - Power Trick
20 - Power Gem
25 - Power Split
30 - Nature Power
35 - Stored Power
40 - Ancient Power
45 - Power Trip
50 - Earth Power
60 - Super Power
70 - Psychic
XX - Alph Ruins Power - Z-Attack, 140 BP when used with Hidden Power or Curious Power. Always uses the HP/CP typing.

(if it ever gets an evo, it can learn Power Whip and Power-Up Punch ha)

And for a dumb bonus, when caught it'll always hold a TM 10 - Hidden Power or TM xx - Curious Power

--

This makes Unown in to a strong mixed attacker with amazing coverage - and with all the defenses of a wet paper bag,

01 - Curious Power (Hidden Power, but physical, types are calculated in such a way that all Pokemon will have a different HP & CP type.)

Let's flesh this out a little more. Make it a Special Move that deals Physical damage. Also, make it calculate the type the same way, but shift the list up or down one and put Fairy type at the top or bottom replacing whatever was removed with the shift. Thoughts?

Let's flesh this out a little more. Make it a Special Move that deals Physical damage. Also, make it calculate the type the same way, but shift the list up or down one and put Fairy type at the top or bottom replacing whatever was removed with the shift. Thoughts?
Not got much sway with GF, but that sounds cool.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom