• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

or the smarter explanation that doesn't even have to be theoretical: gameplay and story segregation.
The Moon Pokédex Entry for Solgaleo states people think it's a male evolution of Cosmog.

Finally got my Solgaleo after a lot of level-grinding to evolve Cosmog into Lunala.
But as Legendaries, you would think Cosmog and Cosmoem would know some useful offensive moves.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

But as Legendaries, you would think Cosmog and Cosmoem would know some useful offensive moves.
In game, Lillie plays around trying to get Nebby to do Splash, pretending to be a trainer. We also see it teleporting.
And, after Nebby transforms, it... Does nothing.
Really, I see no way why you'd think Cosmog and Cosmoen would be any good.
Plus, it is supposed to be like "well, if you really want to have ANOTHER Solgaleo/Lunala, or simply have it for trading for the other mascot, you will have to put quite a bunch of effort into it".

No, being frail and defenseless is a major point of Cosmog. It's described in the legends as a "fragile heir," which the tapu are tasked with protecting. Cosmog can't protect itself - all it can do is teleport away, and even that can put a terrible strain on its body.

Speaking of Cosmog (or Nebby, in this case), it weighs about 990+ pounds...and somehow Lillie carries it around in a bag like it's a Jigglypuff.

In fairness, it's floating on its own and it's not anchored to anything, so she's probably not actually lugging the full weight of it around by herself.

Nothing wrong with Lillie trying to look more like Buzzwole than Nihilego, though.

In fairness, it's floating on its own and it's not anchored to anything, so she's probably not actually lugging the full weight of it around by herself.

Nothing wrong with Lillie trying to look more like Buzzwole than Nihilego, though.
*imagines Lillie buffed up*

Um...can someone bleach my brain?

The first posts mentioned the obvious 10000 hour tutorial of death...and when I skipped to this page I ROFL'd at Lillie looking like Buzzwole XD

Speaking of Cosmog (or Nebby, in this case), it weighs about 990+ pounds...and somehow Lillie carries it around in a bag like it's a Jigglypuff.
Cosmog's actually very light (tied with Gastly, Haunter, Flabébé, and Kartana for the lightest Pokémon), Cosmoem's the heavyweight.

I am incredibly disappointed in the lack of a national dex. Game Freak created wonderful brand new dex entries and it's a shame they've decided not to make more.

I am incredibly disappointed in the lack of a national dex. Game Freak created wonderful brand new dex entries and it's a shame they've decided not to make more.

That's a lot of Dex entries to have to make, and all just for the relatively pointless purpose of flavor text.

Besides, many of the new entries are referring specifically to those Pokémon's niches in Alola, which National Dex Pokémon wouldn't have. I am certain that even if there were a National Dex in SM, they would have recycled old entries for everything outside of the Regional.

I think my biggest concern with these games is the lack of variety in the Pokemon I can catch. I'm currently on the fourth island, and I still only have 5 Pokemon. I haven't seen any other Pokemon I've been super excited to have. I'm hoping to find a 6th before I challenge the Elite Four, but I'm going to be kinda disappointed if I don't. :(

So now that the Bank is out, and there's no word of an update to the BP stores...

Knowing that half of our Megas will either be drip fed back to us through Events, or made available through another game entirely :/

Last edited:
-I know I'm in the minority here, but I *really* didn’t enjoy the transition from chibi to full-scale player character. Fashions look less cute, and Gamefreak haven’t yet learned how to animate walking without the PC looking like a robot, arms and legs stuck stiffly out in front. Running was smooth and natural. Walking looked like something out of a playstation rpg from the 90s.

-speaking of fashions, why couldn’t they just import all the clothing options from Kalos, and then added some? I really missed the older options and felt Alola lacking – unless you enjoy shorts and sleeveless t-shirts. Also, why remove the ponytail hair option, and make the pigtails option post-game? ;_;

-the usual two steps forward and one step back. Some great and long-needed changes, such as the ride pager. (It’s so good, in fact, I half expect it to be gone next generation). Some irritations, such as replacing the changing rooms in pokemon centres with a nearly useless cafe area. It’s much less convenient to have to find a clothing store every time you want to change clothes. Also, I confess, not having the clothing stores’ stock change every day gave me less incentive to keep obsessively picking up the game every day, as I did back in Kalos.

-The Rotomdex felt intrusive, and outright annoying. There was a constant red flag on the map telling me where to go next. And if that wasn’t enough, the damn dex would speak up and remind me. Constantly. It all felt very Yokai-watchy. I’ve somehow managed for 6 generations without being beaten over the head with where to go next, so I don’t appreciate it now.

-And on the subject, who on earth thought it was a good idea to remove all strategy, memory skills and thought from the battles by flagging up on screen which moves are super/not effective? ‘It’s so newbies don’t get confused’! Well, Pokemon players have spent 20 years getting to know the type advantage chart off by heart and somehow scraping by; why should the next generation get to use a cheat sheet instead of flexing their brains? And also, if it was just for the newbies, why not make it optional? Why not make all of the darn tutorials optional? Gamefreak know by now that a large portion of the fanbase are the loyal grownup players who have been with the franchise all along. We want hard mode. We don’t want to be coddled. It only struck me how uninteresting the battle strategy had become when playing the type advantages minigame in the plaza, feeling my heart race a little as I scrolled through trying to find the ‘supereffective’ answer as quickly as possible. When a minigame offers you more challenge and enjoyment than the actual game, something is wrong :/

-Team Skull and their general comical meta-ness were fabulous, but Lusamine and the Aeher Fdt just didn't 'do it' for me. The whole thing felt wish-washy (sorry). Her motives (her husband etc) aren't even explained till post game when you've already defeated her, which is way too late imho. I was so confused by how vague everything was that I had to Google it to find answers, such as who in Aether is actually aware of what she's doing, and why do some of them attack you when you visit the base. Also, why make her fuse into this awesome Evangelion type abomination if you don't even get to face it in battle? She transforms and then just...sends out her regular team. lame.

-I understand that there was at least a reason this time around for the regional Pokemon to be so rare and outnumbered, and that’s because Gamefreak are making quite a clever comment on how the real hawaii’s ecosystem is in danger of being wiped out by critters from other places being brought in and decimating the locals. Unfortunately the ecology lesson, however noble, will not comfort those seeking that elusive Mareanie, or those confused because they managed to go through the entire game without seeing many Alolan Pokemon at all. When most of the regional Pokemon (which let’s face it are a BIG attraction of a new generation) are so rare there is less than a 5% chance of you seeing them, and you need to rely on third party sources to inform you that they even exist...again, something is wrong.

-The regional variants – such an awesome concept, so poorly executed. It started so well, too – Vulpix and Ninetales are probably the best of them. It quickly developed into something rather, well, lazy...here’s Alolan Dugtrio. It’s just like old Dugtrio, but now it has a wig. Here’s Alola Persian. It’s just like old Persian, except purple and looks like its face got stung by a bee. Here’s Alolan Raticate. It’s just like old raticate, but now its black and fatter. I’m also confused why so many of them just got dark type slapped on them...I repeat, felt a little lazy, and since the fans have been waiting years (since the orange islands anime!) for something like this to make its way to the games, I feel like it could have been handled a lot better.

-also under ‘could have been handled so much better’ - the regional tents. Everyone got so excited when they were found in the data mine. Ah, shops on the plaza you can visit to buy famous items from each region! Wow, what a lovely tribute to the series’ glorious past during its twentieth anniversary! And since the fans beloved Apricorn Balls were also discovered in the datamine, we can get them from the Johto tent, right? Right...? Nope. One ball each found per game, you cannot buy them, and the tents are effectively useless. Thanks, Gamefreak.

-speaking of the festival plaza I did actually enjoy it, but yeah, the PSS was so much more convenient

-also I miss super training SO MUCH

-Mega evolution. Now I’m not going to be a hypocrite and cry over it, because I never liked it and felt it detracted from the organic evolution that Pokemon always promoted. But honestly Gamefreak’s handling of it here has been horrible. Firstly it's relegated to post game, quivering in the shadow of the new flashy gimmick – Z moves. Hope you like stupid dances and 5 minute long attack scenes! Secondly, for some reason, after pushing that ME is the ultimate form of friendship and bond between human and trainer, Gamefreak have done a 180 – now ME is something that stresses and hurts the Pokemon, turning it into some overpowered berserker freak in incoherent misery that might turn on you at any moment. Yeah...that’s weird. If they felt mega evolution was a misstep, they could just have gently fazed it out over the years, not adding any more. But to do this to it, perhaps for the sake of ‘dark and edgy’ness, feels...horrible. This is a franchise that always promotes love, respect, friendship. Maybe don’t be telling a 7 year old that the are literally hurting their friend by mega evolving it, when just 4 ears ago you were pushing mega evolution down our throats, eh GF?

-The trials were an ok and fun substitute for the gyms so I wouldn't call them a 'negative' exactly; the only thing I’d have changed is to make every single captain battle-able after their trial. The totem pokemon battle didn’t really compete with trying to finish off a leader with their signature team. I hope gyms make a return in future. I know some fans felt them ‘stale’ but I don’t understand that – journeying around with your team defeating the 8 gyms and elite 4 is the very core of Pokemon. Complaining about that is like complaining about all the driving you have to do in GTA.

-Hau was an ok rival, but offered little to no challenge and honestly, I want grumpy, jerk rivals back. I loved Silver and Blue – you could kick their butts and they’d still give you a snotty comeback about how they would repay you next time. I don’t want to be friends with my rival, it sort of defeats the point. I mean, I’m glad I didn’t have an entire annoying cheerleading team following me around Alola (worst part of X and Y) but going on a journey with a friendly rival is just not to the same as occasionally bumping into a jerk you have to put in his place because he keeps getting to the gyms before you do. Not as much fun.

...But hey, for all my moaning about it I did actually really enjoy this game, and I'm looking forward to playing it again in Moon. These were just some things that jumped out at me ^^

-And on the subject, who on earth thought it was a good idea to remove all strategy, memory skills and thought from the battles by flagging up on screen which moves are super/not effective? ‘It’s so newbies don’t get confused’! Well, Pokemon players have spent 20 years getting to know the type advantage chart off by heart and somehow scraping by; why should the next generation get to use a cheat sheet instead of flexing their brains? And also, if it was just for the newbies, why not make it optional? Why not make all of the darn tutorials optional? Gamefreak know by now that a large portion of the fanbase are the loyal grownup players who have been with the franchise all along. We want hard mode. We don’t want to be coddled. It only struck me how uninteresting the battle strategy had become when playing the type advantages minigame in the plaza, feeling my heart race a little as I scrolled through trying to find the ‘supereffective’ answer as quickly as possible. When a minigame offers you more challenge and enjoyment than the actual game, something is wrong :/
They didn't "remove all strategy" from the game-there's far more to battling than just type matchups. Players haven't just been getting by on memory alone, either-there have been mechanics in Generations 3, 4, and 5 to tell players type effectiveness, and many NPCs explaining them to the player, like the guy at the front of gyms. (and this is just listing what's in the games-there's plenty of easily-accessible guides out there that serve the same thing. Fans weren't exactly left completely in the dark in previous games) And I'd hardly call type matchups a mental exercise-is it really that difficult to remember that Ice is weak to Fire, for example? They're supposed to be a battle mechanic, not a memory game. (Not to mention that the current type system has only been in place since 2013)

The new feature doesn't completely reveal the type matchup mechanics, either. Moves are sorted into normally effective, super effective, no effect, or not very effective-there's nothing that distinguishes moves doubly super effective or resisted. (So, for example, a Fairy-type move against a Jangmo-o would seem to be just as effective as a Flying-type move) It also doesn't take Abilities (apart from Multitype or RKS System) into effect-an Azumarill with Sap Sipper, for example, would still have Grass-type moves registered as super effective on it. The player's Pokemon don't get the same treatment, unless they encounter another trainer using the same species or one in the wild. Nor does it list every weakness that the Pokemon has-it shows the effectiveness of the moves that the player's Pokemon knows, not the effectiveness of every type. (Heck, with Grass-types, you couldn't even show every type they're weak to!)

I totally agree that an option to skip tutorials and a hard mode would be excellent and well-welcomed, but this feature doesn't suddenly make the game a simple hand-holding experience. It's just there as a reference tool, not an instant win button.

I totally agree that an option to skip tutorials and a hard mode would be excellent and well-welcomed, but this feature doesn't suddenly make the game a simple hand-holding experience. It's just there as a reference tool, not an instant win button.

A lot of times it is though, with most trainers only having 1-2 Pokémon. At some point I stopped bothering to even think about it anymore, just scrolled through my mons and see where the Super Effective button was and voila, battle won (most of the times). I miss having to actually think about it and I did try to ignore the SE button at the start, but it's bloody hard with it being so vibrantly colored. As I've said before, I get that most people seem to like it, but making it optional would've been great as it really sort of ruins battling for me in the main game. I don't mind it in the Battle Tree and online battling and stuff though, as you can't really afford to make a mistake there and you're up against all 700+ Pokémon.

Speaking of the in-game trainers; I know it's been mentioned a lot already, but I do hate that most only have 1-2 Pokémon. Not only because of the loss of challlenge, but also cause I hardly saw my mons, as using the first one in the party is often enough to win. I've never felt this disconnected from my team before and it really bothers me.

Well, Pokemon players have spent 20 years getting to know the type advantage chart off by heart and somehow scraping by; why should the next generation get to use a cheat sheet instead of flexing their brains?

Back in my day, we had to deal with dial-up Internet! I couldn't even call your Auntie Mab if one of the sprouts was browsing the World Wide Web! Why should today's youngsters get to fiddle on the computer and play their video games and call their friends all at the same time!? Why, they don't even call their friends! You can just send e-mails to them with their phones now! Why would anyone buy a darned phone if they weren't ever gonna use it to talk to--

As technology improves and becomes more refined, tedium fades.

Secondly, for some reason, after pushing that ME is the ultimate form of friendship and bond between human and trainer, Gamefreak have done a 180 – now ME is something that stresses and hurts the Pokemon, turning it into some overpowered berserker freak in incoherent misery that might turn on you at any moment. Yeah...that’s weird. If they felt mega evolution was a misstep, they could just have gently fazed it out over the years, not adding any more. But to do this to it, perhaps for the sake of ‘dark and edgy’ness, feels...horrible. This is a franchise that always promotes love, respect, friendship. Maybe don’t be telling a 7 year old that the are literally hurting their friend by mega evolving it, when just 4 ears ago you were pushing mega evolution down our throats, eh GF?

Only one Pokédex entry mentions Mega Evolution being a painful process, and even then, it's only said to be one theory based on Mega Aerodactyl's brutality (even though it was already a vicious Pokémon to begin with).

Some of them do seem to get more brutal (but not all - plenty of the Mega Evolution entries are perfectly benign), but that's probably where the bond comes in, which is similar to how the anime portrayed it, I think. Mega Evolution fills them with power, which they can lose control of and go berserk with, but if the bond is strong enough, they can maintain it.

Furthermore, this stuff only even comes up in the Pokédex entries, which most people probably skip over, and on top of that, these ones in particular are something you have to go out of your way to read since, if you don't already know about them, you have to:

1. Obtain the Mega Stone for said Pokemon (64 BP right there)
2. Mega Evolve said Pokémon
3. Think for some reason that forms now have distinct Pokédex entries, even though they never have before
4. Decide to see if your Mega Evolved Pokémon has its own entry, and change its form listing in the Pokédex

They've hardly "done a 180" and started portraying Mega Evolution as some cruel mistreatment.

A lot of times it is though, with most trainers only having 1-2 Pokémon. At some point I stopped bothering to even think about it anymore, just scrolled through my mons and see where the Super Effective button was and voila, battle won (most of the times). I miss having to actually think about it and I did try to ignore the SE button at the start, but it's bloody hard with it being so vibrantly colored. As I've said before, I get that most people seem to like it, but making it optional would've been great as it really sort of ruins battling for me in the main game. I don't mind it in the Battle Tree and online battling and stuff though, as you can't really afford to make a mistake there and you're up against all 700+ Pokémon.

I think the bigger issue there is that NPC trainers who are limited to 1-3 Pokémon with no held items, and are unable to use more than the occasional Potion or employ complex strategies (unless you're the Red Card guy on Route 3, who was brilliant) while we get free reign to do whatever we want are fundamentally easy to destroy.

Last edited:
I understand that the Mega Stones are available to the ones that are in the Alola dex, but couldn't they have enabled the addition of more Mega Stones whenever a player obtains any evolution line of the corresponding pokemon? Like, if someone gets a Ralts, they could take it to the Battle Tree and talk to the merchant with Ralts leading the party and obtain the Mega Stones for Gardevoir and Gallade. They banned the players from using Mega Evolutions, but it's unfair seeing NPCs using any and every megaevolution to their taste.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom