• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That cutscene doesn't prove anything and could just be the origin of O-Powers with the "star pulses" being each power and the "group of wonderful men" being that group that transformed into Mr. Bonding in ORAS.
That does sound reasonable, but then O-Powers aren't even in Alola. Either way, I wish Game Freak would give creepy men a rest.

Does anyone remember the "you are not the one" ghost girl from XY and ORAS? So much for that.

they said "A cutscene from "Pokemon Sun and Moon" proves that the upcoming version truly exists
This article doesn't really understand what "proves" means. The cutscene didn't say "Pokemon Stars will be coming to the Nintendo Switch in the near future", it talked about star pulses. While that can be interpreted as a hint, it doesn't confirm it. (And a lot of their other points seem very flimsy)

That does sound reasonable, but then O-Powers aren't even in Alola. Either way, I wish Game Freak would give creepy men a rest.

Does anyone remember the "you are not the one" ghost girl from XY and ORAS? So much for that.
There was also the hoard of faceless men from XY. :p

You're exaggerating the 3DS' limitations. The only things that don't work well in SM are double battles or any other battle style that involves more than 2 Pokemon. Aside from that, SM works fine. There's certainly room to add more to a 3DS game if they wanted.

I'm really not exaggerating anything. It is obvious SM reached the limitations. The very fact it lags at all is a clear indicator that the games are too big to run without lag, what does that tell you? Not to mention the blurry text. They even had to cut out actual battle features just to get everything else they wanted into the game. There is nothing more that future games on the 3DS can add without removing more features and without lag. There's no room left for even more content, especially enough to warrant having a third version to begin with, without lag affecting even more parts of the game.

I'm really not exaggerating anything. It is obvious SM reached the limitations. The very fact it lags at all is a clear indicator that the games are too big to run without lag, what does that tell you? Not to mention the blurry text. They even had to cut out actual battle features just to get everything else they wanted into the game. There is nothing more that future games on the 3DS can add without removing more features and without lag. There's no room left for even more content, especially enough to warrant having a third version to begin with, without lag affecting even more parts of the game.

Yes, you are exaggerating. Just because the game is lagging in double battles doesn't mean they can't add anything else. They're perfectly capable of adding a new area or a new feature and it'll probably work just fine.

Yes, you are exaggerating. Just because the game is lagging in double battles doesn't mean they can't add anything else. They're perfectly capable of adding a new area or a new feature and it'll probably work just fine.

"probably" work fine. I like your lack of confidence. One new area or feature is not enough for a third version. You'll need A LOT more than that to justify a third version. A game lags because the system cannot run it perfectly, and that is all there is to it. A third version cannot add enough features and content and still lag the same amount as SM, unless you removed other features that were originally in SM. Not to mention that double battles are the official Pokémon battle tournaments, so until they change that back to single battles, having lag in double battles is not a good thing, and it will only get worse with each new game. The 3DS has run it's course Pokémon wise and Pokémon needs to move on.

"probably" work fine. I like your lack of confidence. One new area or feature is not enough for a third version. You'll need A LOT more than that to justify a third version. A game lags because the system cannot run it perfectly, and that is all there is to it. A third version cannot add enough features and content and still lag the same amount as SM, unless you removed other features that were originally in SM. Not to mention that double battles are the official Pokémon battle tournaments, so until they change that back to single battles, having lag in double battles is not a good thing, and it will only get worse with each new game. The 3DS has run it's course Pokémon wise and Pokémon needs to move on.

Again, nothing's enough for a third version. They just sell too poorly regardless of how much new content they put in there. At least if they kept it to a feature or two they could squeeze a couple million more in sales out of pretty much nothing, putting Stars on Switch would be wasting a lot more money for maybe a 1 million at best boost in sales.

Again, nothing's enough for a third version. They just sell too poorly regardless of how much new content they put in there. At least if they kept it to a feature or two they could squeeze a couple million more in sales out of pretty much nothing, putting Stars on Switch would be wasting a lot more money for maybe a 1 million at best boost in sales.

I doubt Pokémon Stars would sell well if they literally only added just one new feature. Sure, there are some dedicated fans out there that would purchase it (myself included), however, you're getting desperate in your arguments if you honestly believe that Gamefreak would be silly enough to create a third version that brings just one new feature over SM and still expect millions of people to purchase it.

If you'd rather Pokémon Stars be a third version on the 3DS that either introduces just one new feature, or a third version even more laggy than SM, then that is fine, that's your right. I myself, would prefer a game of a higher quality and standard.

...I don't even know where to begin...

The 3DS can't handle any more than SM... it could barely handle SM properly. Pokemon is done on 3DS. Over. Kaput. Maxed out. Any argument that Pokemon will stay on 3DS not move onto the Switch is just flat out wrong. It's quite literally, technically impossible to make another game with any improvements over SM on the 3DS (while not lagging out and showing wear). We're moving on whether we like it or not. @Akira Bond is most definitely not exaggerating. You can have whatever opinions you like about third versions, but don't state so many false claims as if they're fact. Third versions do sell. As much as remakes and new Gen pairs? No. But they still sell millions, and that's crazy profit. If you don't like them, don't get them. SM sure as hell won't get a third version on 3DS, or any other Pokemon game for that matter. It's moving to the Switch. You can't add hardly anything to SM while keeping Stars on 3DS. Hell, even if you could it would still be laggy and low quality. Making another Pokemon game on 3DS, compared to Switch, is a horrible idea. And just because it might not be a top grossing hit doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. It will increase the value of owning a Switch for some people, and it will help GF better prepare for making the next games even better.

Stars on Switch would be wasting a lot more money for maybe a 1 million at best boost in sales.

Come on...

You know you pulled that ridiculously unsubstantiated claim out of your ***.

Last edited:
I doubt Pokémon Stars would sell well if they literally only added just one new feature. Sure, there are some dedicated fans out there that would purchase it (myself included), however, you're getting desperate in your arguments if you honestly believe that Gamefreak would be silly enough to create a third version that brings just one new feature over SM and still expect millions of people to purchase it.

Tell that to the people who bought Yellow or Crystal, they were basically the same game and they still sold 6 million.

The 3DS can't handle any more than SM... it could barely handle SM properly. Pokemon is done on 3DS. Over. Kaput. Maxed out. Any argument that Pokemon will stay on 3DS not move onto the Switch is just flat out wrong. It's quite literally, technically impossible to make another game with any improvements over SM on the 3DS. We're moving on whether we like it or not. @Akira Bond is most definitely not exaggerating. You can have whatever opinions you like about third versions, but don't state so many false claims as if they're fact.

Are we playing the same game? Because I played SM on an original 3DS and it wasn't maxed out at all. A bit laggy on double battles and SOS battles, but far from maxed out. If anyone's making false claims, it's you and Akira Bond. Adding new features or areas isn't going to push the 3DS past its limits. The only way they can do that is by putting too much on the screen at once, hence the lag in other battle styles, and Game Freak is smart enough to avoid doing that. New areas, new Alola forms, and the like are completely harmless to the 3DS' processing.

Third versions do sell. As much as remakes and new Gen pairs? No. But they still sell millions, and that's crazy profit. If you don't like them, don't get them. SM sure as hell won't get a third version on 3DS, or any other Pokemon game for that matter. It's moving to the Switch. And just because it might not be a top grossing hit doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile. It will increase the value of owning a Switch for some people, and it will help GF better prepare for making the next games even better.

Again though, businesses don't just look to make profit, they look to maximize profit. And when third versions sell so little and most of the fanbase just buys the new generations anyway, it's quite simply not worth the investment, nothing they'd get out of Stars would benefit 8th gen and beyond in any financial sense.

Tell that to the people who bought Yellow or Crystal, they were basically the same game and they still sold 6 million.
Pokemon Yellow-The addition of the following Pikachu was experienced throughout the entire game-a fairly noticeable change. (And the very first third edition-there's quite a bit that's changed since)

Crystal-Different plot, the ability to play as a girl (again, a feature that can be seen throughout the entire game)

Also, not everyone that bought Yellow or Crystal necessarily bought the original pair. Personally, Crystal was my first game, but I've never picked up Gold or Silver.
Are we playing the same game? Because I played SM on an original 3DS and it wasn't maxed out at all. A bit laggy on double battles and SOS battles, but far from maxed out. If anyone's making false claims, it's you and Akira Bond. Adding new features or areas isn't going to push the 3DS past its limits. The only way they can do that is by putting too much on the screen at once, hence the lag in other battle styles, and Game Freak is smart enough to avoid doing that. New areas, new Alola forms, and the like are completely harmless to the 3DS' processing.
Quite a few people have been experiencing more drastic lag. Which makes more sense-multiple users are conspiring together in an elaborate lie about lag, or your experience on the 3DS has been different from other people's?

Both Yellow and Crystal added more than one new feature. Both of your examples would be more different to their original counterparts than a third version of SM on 3DS would if it only added one new feature and that's it.

I'll ask you not to say I am making false claims. Nothing I have claimed is false. Pokémon Sun suffers from lag and blurry text. That is a fact. You fail to understand that lag is lag. lagging occurs because there is too much for the console to comprehend efficiently. That is another fact. How is that hard to understand? Why does it matter where the lag occurs when the whole point is that it is too much for the 3DS to run without lag. A third version will have the exact same issues. It is completely obvious that Pokémon SM pushed what the 3DS is capable of. Your denials change nothing. I'll say it one more time, lag occurs because the system cannot perfectly run the game. That is a clear indicator that it is time to move on. Nobody wants lag, and the game lags in quite an important part of the game; double battles. If Gamefreak cannot fix the lag on the 3DS, then they should no longer release Pokémon Games for the 3DS, and instead go for a newer, better system. I highly doubt we'll be seeing Stars on the 3DS, if we see Stars at all.

Both Yellow and Crystal added more than one new feature. Both of your examples would be more different to their original counterparts than a third version of SM on 3DS would if it only added one new feature and that's it.

I'll ask you not to say I am making false claims. Nothing I have claimed is false. Pokémon Sun suffers from lag and blurry text. That is a fact. You fail to understand that lag is lag. lagging occurs because there is too much for the console to comprehend efficiently. That is another fact. How is that hard to understand? Why does it matter where the lag occurs when the whole point is that it is too much for the 3DS to run without lag. A third version will have the exact same issues. It is completely obvious that Pokémon SM pushed what the 3DS is capable of. Your denials change nothing. I'll say it one more time, lag occurs because the system cannot perfectly run the game. That is a clear indicator that it is time to move on. Nobody wants lag, and the game lags in quite an important part of the game; double battles. If Gamefreak cannot fix the lag on the 3DS, then they should no longer release Pokémon Games for the 3DS, and instead go for a newer, better system. I highly doubt we'll be seeing Stars on the 3DS, if we see Stars at all.
Not to mention other features such as triple and rotation battles are gone, too. Do we even have a spot for inverse battles?

Also, I'll give my account of what I saw on my original 3DS and there was VERY noticable lag in battles with multiple Pokemon.

Can we please not again get into an argument about the lag in SM? That there's lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through a fence is a fact, even on my New 3DS XL. There's nothing to argue about. Yes, this doesn't mean that Stars can't add new features, but it does mean these features can't really be big and there will still be lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through fences, maybe even worse. Just because some people don't want to buy a new console isn't good enough of a reason to release another game that doesn't work 100%.

Before anyone goes "This is definite proof that Stars is fake!" again, no it isn't :p Just because the 3DS might get a successor, doesn't mean there won't be Pokémon games on the Switch. If they're considering one, that probably means it isn't even in the making yet, so could take multiple years still.

Can we please not again get into an argument about the lag in SM? That there's lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through a fence is a fact, even on my New 3DS XL. There's nothing to argue about. Yes, this doesn't mean that Stars can't add new features, but it does mean these features can't really be big and there will still be lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through fences, maybe even worse. Just because some people don't want to buy a new console isn't good enough of a reason to release another game that doesn't work 100%.

Before anyone goes "This is definite proof that Stars is fake!" again, no it isn't :p Just because the 3DS might get a successor, doesn't mean there won't be Pokémon games on the Switch. If they're considering one, that probably means it isn't even in the making yet, so could take multiple years still.

The 3DS' successor could be the very thing I have been saying all along; a cheaper handheld only version of Nintendo Switch, to coexist alongside the actual Switch. I really doubt Nintendo is going to make us purchase a hybrid console and then have an entirely new handheld console. What would be even worse is if Pokémon was only created for this theoretical 3DS Successor.

For now, I'm holding on to the theory that the next handheld only console will in fact be some handheld only version of the Switch.

Game Freak isn't likely going to do anything if a handful of people complain about lag. Especially if the casuals don't complain, and they probably don't care. There's still a sizeable market that would buy another 3DS game, bigger than the market of gamers that would buy any non-8th gen Switch game.

Game Freak isn't likely going to do anything if a handful of people complain about lag. Especially if the casuals don't complain, and they probably don't care.

Excuse me? Do you call that handful?
Anyone using Old 3Ds Xl with sun or moon? - Pokemon Sun Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs
Even gaming sites are reporting lags.
Pokemon Sun And Moon Update: Standard 3DS Version Takes More Time To Load Than Usual
Pokemon Sun and Moon Take Longer to Load on 3DS Than New 3DS

This one completes our notion that SM are pushing 3DS to its limits
Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon push the old 3DS to the max - Nintendo Everything

EDIT: The hardcore fans, seeing such lag, will probably not buy any further game on the 3DS. And if Pokemon loses its fans, it is heading towards grave trouble.

Back
Top Bottom