• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

-

Real, Fake, Or Unsure

• Real

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Fake

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
Yes. They are the physical manifestations of the moon and ocean. Hence why when Tui was killed, the moon disappeared. But their physical forms are that of koi fish. Hence, the 'animal' that represents waterbending is the koi fish.

Although if we really want to get technical, it was the lion turtles who gave humans the power to bend in the first place. But four lion turtle based Starters would get boring.

I am talking about the original benders. Neither Koi Fish were the original bender. The Moon is the original water bender and that is what the Waterbenders learnt from.

The Lion turtles used Energybending to bestow upon humans the ability to control the elements, and it was the Moon, Badger Mole, Dragon and Flying Bison that the humans learnt from to control their powers and turn it into the art form known as 'bending.'

I am talking about the original benders. Neither Koi Fish were the original bender. The Moon is the original water bender and that is what the Waterbenders learnt from.

The Lion turtles used Energybending to bestow upon humans the ability to control the elements, and it was the Moon, Badger Mole, Dragon and Flying Bison that the humans learnt from to control their powers and turn it into the art form known as 'bending.'
The Moon was the original waterbender. The koi fish Tui is an aspect of the moon. Ergo, the koi fish Tui is the original waterbender.

The Moon was the original waterbender. The koi fish Tui is an aspect of the moon. Ergo, the koi fish Tui is the original waterbender.

Incorrect. Tui's Koi Fish form is it's mortal form. It chose to become a mortal being in order to live in the human world. Also remember that when Tui died, Princess Yue gave her life to resurrect it, and in doing so, she became the moon spirit herself. Saying the mortal fish form is the original bender is like saying Princess Yue as the moon spirit is also the original bender. The moon itself is the original bender. However, this is getting very irrelevant to the actual thread, and we'll have to continue this discussion elsewhere.

Incorrect. Tui's Koi Fish form is it's mortal form. It chose to become a mortal being in order to live in the human world. Also remember that when Tui died, Princess Yue gave her life to resurrect it, and in doing so, she became the moon spirit herself. Saying the mortal fish form is the original bender is like saying Princess Yue as the moon spirit is also the original bender. The moon itself is the original bender. However, this is getting very irrelevant to the actual thread, and we'll have to continue this discussion elsewhere.
Do you....even know what an aspect is?

Anyway, this leak is definitely fake. But it was great to see something else to discuss for once. :)

My first thoughs on reading that for the first time:
-the first part can be true, but the second part is bullshit with the triple types concept.

-4chan is not the best source, but as far i remember, some info already was leaked there.

-If is there some truth on that, even so, the gen 8 development is still on "beta" phase, so many concepts can be improved or even changed.

-Meh, no cross evolutions?

-------
I'd be down for an UK region. I can see the islands and legendary guardians happening, mirroring the tapu concept.

As for the super stones, even if the supposed leaker said it's fake, the concept is interesting, but will work better if the selected group of pokemons could evolve to any of the 18 types of the trainer choice, once the proper stone is owned.

Hm... that said, I don't believe on it, but who knows...

You will be able to crossbreed Mew and Mewtwo to hatch a Mewthree in the day care centre.

Yeaaaaahhh, no. Not gonna happen. This bit discredits the whole thing for me.

Also can we please stop with these "exclusive features"? Megas, Z-moves and Regional Variants are more than enough to spice up the competitive scene and give old Pokemon a boost.

Not that I believe this leak is real, but I think a UK themed region is actually very probable in the future at some point.
Most Japanese people tend to have a lot of fantasies towards France and Britain, especially when it comes to aristocrats and monarchs.
British posh items / artisan crafts are very popular among middle classed Japanese people too.
Many anime are based on Britain, or at least have one British female character.

Whenever I tell Japanese people I have British citizenship, I could see their eyes glow out of admiration.

So, my impression is that Japanese people love Britain styled things a lot.

Not that I believe this leak is real, but I think a UK themed region is actually very probable in the future at some point.
Most Japanese people tend to have a lot of fantasies towards France and Britain, especially when it comes to aristocrats and monarchs.
British posh items / artisan crafts are very popular among middle classed Japanese people too.
Many anime are based on Britain, or at least have one British female character.

Whenever I tell Japanese people I have British citizenship, I could see their eyes glow out of admiration.

So, my impression is that Japanese people love Britain styled things a lot.

Ah yes. Kiniro Mosaic centered around a British and a Japanese girl, and Code Geass did make them ...the antagonists (granted of an AU where they took over most the world). Then there's the Gothic Lolita trend (which seems more related to Victorian era fashion than a certain book mind you). and Wasn't a few fate/stay night characters based on Arthurian mythos? I thinka UK region is very possible, but at the same time, I can see Brazil, India, and maybe South Korea and China being possibilities as well.

I think the leak still falls under "too good to be true" especially with that Mewthree thing and the redundant (in 'mon distribution, not in concept) third typing thing. It just screams a fanboy's wet dream to me. Same as that Switch leak awhile back.

Ah yes. Kiniro Mosaic centered around a British and a Japanese girl, and Code Geass did make them ...the antagonists (granted of an AU where they took over most the world). Then there's the Gothic Lolita trend (which seems more related to Victorian era fashion than a certain book mind you). and Wasn't a few fate/stay night characters based on Arthurian mythos? I thinka UK region is very possible, but at the same time, I can see Brazil, India, and maybe South Korea and China being possibilities as well.

I think the leak still falls under "too good to be true" especially with that Mewthree thing and the redundant (in 'mon distribution, not in concept) third typing thing. It just screams a fanboy's wet dream to me. Same as that Switch leak awhile back.
Ya, that Mewthree part just screams fake.

But I don't see India / South Korea or China as possible.
South Korea and China are too politically controversial for any Japanese franchise to make anything, really.
All these South Koreans and Chinese people love to say they are offended for any minor inaccuracies in their depictions.
Moreover, due to laws in China, Pokemon Sun and Moon are not being released in China at all.
The Chinese language is for people in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau and Singapore (and to some extent, Malaysia).
I don't see why they would base off a region where their games cannot be released.

As for India... Japanese people rarely fantasize anything about India. India was not portrayed to be a rich country, and Japanese people in general are very elitist.

Brazil though.... Brazil historically had very little to do with Japan. So I'm not sure about this.

Brazil though.... Brazil historically had very little to do with Japan. So I'm not sure about this.

I think GF could handle getting the regions accurate enough unless they are going to get uppity over that the "inaccuracies" are of their land and culture being adapted to a fictional universe to begin with. Plus Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia could make for interesting regions themselves should they go for it. But in hindsight, China is less likely than I thought.

As far as Brazil goes. I think that much like Hawai'i, Brazil also has a notable case of Japanese immigration and influence. While India (and specifically its religion, Hinduism) has been the basis of themes and uses in Japanese pop culture (Earth Maiden Arjuna, FF's Ramuh and Shiva summons [albeit inaccurately I know], and Shin Megami Tensei [granted, more due to Atlus drawing from every mythology there]) with some aspects also being adapted into Buddhism and Shintoism, so using the regions themselves might open up possibility about their myths and culture (same goes for Greece but I'm not sure how likely that actually is).

I think GF could handle getting the regions accurate enough unless they are going to get uppity over that the "inaccuracies" are of their land and culture being adapted to a fictional universe to begin with. Plus Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia could make for interesting regions themselves should they go for it. But in hindsight, China is less likely than I thought.

As far as Brazil goes. I think that much like Hawai'i, Brazil also has a notable case of Japanese immigration and influence. While India (and specifically its religion, Hinduism) has been the basis of themes and uses in Japanese pop culture (Earth Maiden Arjuna, FF's Ramuh and Shiva summons [albeit inaccurately I know], and Shin Megami Tensei [granted, more due to Atlus drawing from every mythology there]) with some aspects also being adapted into Buddhism and Shintoism, so using the regions themselves might open up possibility about their myths and culture (same goes for Greece but I'm not sure how likely that actually is).
Ah, after reading your post, I think India and Brazil are becoming more likely.
It is true that many Japanese franchises have Indian mythology in them.
And it is true that Brazil has many Japanese immigrants.

I think using Taiwan, Hong Kong or even Singapore is going to make a lot of people from China very upset, because average Chinese people don't like the fact that Taiwan or Singapore do not belong to China, and they think that these places should belong to China, somehow.
But heck, the games won't be sold in China anyway, so making people with no economic contribution upset might not be too bad from a financial point of view.

Ah, after reading your post, I think India and Brazil are becoming more likely.
It is true that many Japanese franchises have Indian mythology in them.
And it is true that Brazil has many Japanese immigrants.

I think using Taiwan, Hong Kong or even Singapore is going to make a lot of people from China very upset, because average Chinese people don't like the fact that Taiwan or Singapore do not belong to China, and they think that these places should belong to China, somehow.
But heck, the games won't be sold in China anyway, so making people with no economic contribution upset might not be too bad from a financial point of view.
Brazilian here.... Brazil has the biggest japanese comunity in the world, outside Japan, of course.
I may be wrong, but I don't think Brazil is an admired or romantized in Japan like US or some European countries., and probably the average japanse see here as an "exotic, distand and tropical land".

I think UK, other parts of europe or North America are more likely than south america. I say that because it seems that Game Freak is basing their regions on "trend" places in Japan, even considering that Rio de Janeiro is a worldwide known touristic spot... Also, Ninendo closed it's operations here, because it of the absurdly high taxes. Pokemon has a great fanbase here and is hugely popular, but a lot of other international business like Mitsubishi were closing their operations here for awhile because it was not lucrative. Well, as it's not really known the pattern that Game freak uses for their regions, and Pokemon is an international franchise, who knows...

If they ever base a country on south america, i think BR is the most likely country, even id i'd like to see Peru, Chile or Argentina to became a region, cause i think it can provide a more substantial region without being too generic and neither too similar to Unova or Hoenn.

Y
South Korea and China are too politically controversial for any Japanese franchise to make anything, really.
All these South Koreans and Chinese people love to say they are offended for any minor inaccuracies in their depictions.
I, uh, think there's a bit more to it than that as to why China and Korea are politically controversial in Japan.

I want the American Southwest/Mexico. I want it bad bad bad. Probably not likely anytime soon but I want it.

I think that an Indian region could be full of mythology, sort of playing like Sinnoh 2.0. It could also have room for evolutions of old Pokemon, and could give us new unique type combos due to the biodiversity (I Remember someone on Reddit mentioning a Fire/Grass Curry Pokemon XD)

I, uh, think there's a bit more to it than that as to why China and Korea are politically controversial in Japan.

I want the American Southwest/Mexico. I want it bad bad bad. Probably not likely anytime soon but I want it.
How do you feel about Arizona? Cuz...Orre.

But yeah, China in particular is especially controversial, and not because they're being petty. Historically, China and Japan haven't exactly gotten along, and as nations, they're not on the best of terms rn either. Plus there's that whole World War II business. The international relationship between those countries is very complicated and nuanced, and it's not fair to say the only reason China wouldn't like it is because they're overzealous about their history.

It sounded kinda cool right up until 'Mewthree'.

Then again Gamefreak gave Solgaleo and Lunaala a common prevo this gen and if someone had 'leaked' that beforehand I would've instantly called BS, so what the hell. I know nothing Jon Snow

I would like a region based on Britain though, that'd be cool.

Back
Top Bottom