• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

I understand that the Mega Stones are available to the ones that are in the Alola dex, but couldn't they have enabled the addition of more Mega Stones whenever a player obtains any evolution line of said pokemon? Like, if someone gets a Ralts, they could take it to the Battle Tree and talk to the merchant with Ralts leading the party and obtain the Mega Stones for Gardevoir and Gallade. They banned the players from using Mega Evolutions, but it's unfair seeing NPCs using any and every megaevolution to their taste.
They did it deliberately to make players participate in online competitions or buy a future game. They're basically holding those stones hostage.

They did it deliberately to make players participate in online competitions or buy a future game. They're basically holding those stones hostage.
I guess it would have an effect to encourage participation.

I just heard they're going to release the mega stones for Mawile and Beedril later, so I'm willing to believe there's a possibility they'd enable all mega stones eventually.

I super resent:

- Not being able to use Milk Drink / Softboiled outside of battle.
- Being forced to ride on a Charizard instead of any other flying type (this one cut me up inside more than the other ride Pokemon). I mean, Salamence ♪ was meant to fly ♫... why can it only do so in battle?! Same goes for all other flying options.
- The Rotom Dex. Don't talk to me. Why is there no way of turning you OFF?! Even post-game he manages to irritate me... His one comment at startup, it's enough to annoy me.
- No Triple Battles?? Awww... it's my fave format... Don't introduce things and take them away 2 gens later. Geez they have a habit of doing this!
- Not enough new Pokemon!! Argh! I want another game like Black and White where all you see until post game are NEW Pokemon!! And none of this Gen 1-pandering regional variant rubbish either!

But! All that ASIDE... I still thoroughly enjoyed Sun.

Last edited:
  • I'm super ******* POed about the fact that the national dex has been done in. You expect me to buy your game, and then you don't even give me the whole thing? And then you spit in my face and say I gotta drop 5 extra bucks just to use the **** national dex and transfer Pokémon??? As someone who barely has enough money to afford the game and the hardware to play it with, I felt like GameFreak was crapping on me. What are they gonna monetize next, character customization??
  • Onto my next point, I felt like the character customization was rather poor. Also, I want gender-locked clothing to go away. It's 2017, if I'm a guy and I want to wear a skirt, I should be able to.
  • I still wish playing a gender neutral character was possible. Maybe next game.
  • I wish there was some more Pokémon. I always enjoy new Pokémon, and this game, I almost ended up with a completely old team.
  • I miss the PSS. It was so nifty and handy.
  • I miss the minigames you could play with your Pokémon during Pokémon Amie.
  • Lillie came off as a really weak character. I feel like she fell into the "damsel in distress" trope and that really irritates me.
  • I kinda wish there was an option to punch Lillie's mother in the face.
  • I wish Guzma was around more.

Lillie came off as a really weak character. I feel like she fell into the "damsel in distress" trope and that really irritates me.

The whole point of her is that she starts out meek and then learns to stand up for herself.

The whole point of her is that she starts out meek and then learns to stand up for herself.

Ehhh... I suppose I can see that. She still felt really weak to me, though. Even towards the end of the game, I never really felt like she changed. I will give her points though for being a relatable character. I suffered abuse underneath my mother for a very long time, and ended up relating to Lillie a lot because of that.

SM is such a great game, in my opinion, tied with Pokemon Emerald as my favorite game, but there are some flaws:
1. The lag. While my 2DS is surprisingly able to take lag well, double battles and certain Pokemon in Pokemon refresh definitely lag the game a lot. Though, on my 2DS the frame rate drops slightly and not a lot
2. Fishing. In all previous generations we can fish where ever we want, when ever we want. Now... we can only fish in certain spots. While rarity isn't really a big problem with the bubbling waters, it's annoying to leave the area/soft reset every time just for a higher percent to catch a Pokemon
3. SOS Battling. Good for EV training (I personally use PokePelago) and shiny hunting, but when I try to catch a Pokemon for the dex it will always call for help and I have to fight another one, which is both tedious and annoying.
4. Shiny charm becoming so much easier to get. I loved completing the whole dex, whether it was 368 or 721, and Gen V onwards could be rewarded with the shiny charm, making shiny hunting easier. But now, the challenge of getting the shiny charm is way easier, and the oval charm likewise is given away... why?
5. Game sync so much times whenever I connect to internet AAAAUUGGHH-

Besides that, I actually prefer Festival Plaza than PSS, as it makes it easier to connect to internet and trade/battle randomly.

4. Shiny charm becoming so much easier to get. I loved completing the whole dex, whether it was 368 or 721, and Gen V onwards could be rewarded with the shiny charm, making shiny hunting easier. But now, the challenge of getting the shiny charm is way easier, and the oval charm likewise is given away... why?

Because...most people actually like not having to do tedious tasks to get items in a game? :p Completing the whole dex took me about a month, time I could've spend playing other games or drawing or anything else that isn't practically wasting my time. And now I was able to get the Shiny Charm more quickly than having to wait for Bank to arrive in January.

Also, next to wanting to make it easier for people, GF decided to implement the National Dex in Bank instead of in the games themselves, so it's practically not possible to get the Shiny Charm for completing the NDex anymore, too.

Another thing to complain about from the Festival Plaza: the fact that there's only 8 spaces available for your facilities. Considering the fact that similar facilities have different services/products, you are in the end inevitably forced to make hard choices about which ones to keep. This is particularly vexing if you want to have multiples of the same facility. (looking at you Treasure Hunt/Big Dreams Lottery).

Um, did you actually go through the trouble of completing the National Dex for Gen 5, and then completing it all over again from scratch with no transfers for Gen 6? That seems rather painstaking. But if that's not what you did, then I don't see why the change should matter. You would have only needed to catch all of the new Gen 7 Pokémon, and the rest could have been transferred to SM from your Gen 6 game(s) via Bank, and presto, National Dex completed.

Catching 784 Pokémon is a pretty monumental task for most people anyway, especially since they'd either need to spend ages bargaining for trades or spend $80 on copies of XY and ORAS in addition to SM in order to do it right now. Asking them to just catch all of the Pokémon in the Regional Dex is much more reasonable.

And, hey, there's really nothing stopping you from completing the National Dex all over again, if that really is your preference. You could even hold off on picking up your Shiny Charm if you wanted to simulate the reward.

Um, did you actually go through the trouble of completing the National Dex for Gen 5, and then completing it all over again from scratch with no transfers for Gen 6? That seems rather painstaking. But if that's not what you did, then I don't see why the change should matter. You would have only needed to catch all of the new Gen 7 Pokémon, and the rest could have been transferred to SM from your Gen 6 game(s) via Bank, and presto, National Dex completed.

Catching 784 Pokémon is a pretty monumental task for most people anyway, especially since they'd either need to spend ages bargaining for trades or spend $80 on copies of XY and ORAS in addition to SM in order to do it right now. Asking them to just catch all of the Pokémon in the Regional Dex is much more reasonable.

And, hey, there's really nothing stopping you from completing the National Dex all over again, if that really is your preference. You could even hold off on picking up your Shiny Charm if you wanted to simulate the reward.
Eh I like completing dex, it's a good Postgame thing to do.
Because...most people actually like not having to do tedious tasks to get items in a game? :p Completing the whole dex took me about a month, time I could've spend playing other games or drawing or anything else that isn't practically wasting my time. And now I was able to get the Shiny Charm more quickly than having to wait for Bank to arrive in January.

Also, next to wanting to make it easier for people, GF decided to implement the National Dex in Bank instead of in the games themselves, so it's practically not possible to get the Shiny Charm for completing the NDex anymore, too.
True lol

i remember feeling super excited and then gradually feeling somewhat underwhelmed as the game went on. just to be sure, i started to play X/Y again to see what was missing.....

1. now while the game does manage to feel like a completely new location, it felt more like a guided tour than a adventure. the game is just too short, it feels rushed.

2. less pokemon available initially than X/Y: i know trading helps but thats not the point here.

3. bland characters: why are team skull sprites also used for civilians? even the MC is generic as hell.

4. trials: they lost the gyms for this? they should have kept both.

5. having to use the damn boat switch islands: another case of getting one thing right and then making another issue. i was happy for HMs to be gone but no longer being able to fly anywhere in the world at will sucked balls.

conclusion: i am glad that they streamlined some aspects of the game but i feel they went TOO FAR with the streamlining.

yes i've got the glide but i didnt see the option to switch islands, only routes. i will play it again later this evening to double check
There are two arrows that you can click on, and alternatively, you can press R/L to switch between them.

I'm not at all interested in challenges that aren't so much difficult as long. EV training is an excellent example of this - it never was difficult in itself, but it was damn tedious. Now ... well, ok, it's not exactly fun but at least it's quicker and more of the legwork can be done in-game instead of on Bulbapedia. Which brings me to making a little contribution of my own to the thread - I don't like that I was about halfway through Sun before the game told me how I could check the EV graph. Hours of the game telling me several times where to go next, when it was obvious, and it takes that long to tell me how to find something that's not at all obvious. Here's an idea - next time just put it in the Trainer's School where it might be useful instead of reprising the same vague explanation of Paralysis that's been in every game

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom