• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you going to buy a Switch?

Are you going to buy a Switch next year?

• At launch

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Sometime after launch and before December

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • For Christmas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided, waiting until Jan 13 for more info

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • No, only in 2018, 2019 or later

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Never, bacuse *insert reasonable reason here*

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon on switch dosent sway me either way,if I had to own switch to play I'd just be done with pokemon,not paying at least 400 to play.
Between a potential price drop, buying a used system and waiting for a cheaper model that has basically been teased... Being done with Pokemon is an extreme option. And if you don't need your (presumably still functional) Wii U anymore, GameStop will give you $120 in-store credit for it ($110 for a 3DS XL and $90 for a regular 3DS).

I bought a used 3DS in 2013 for $100. It serves me well even now.

Last edited:
Probably. Depends on when there's a must have title for me that I can't play on my Wii U or my 3DS. Breath of the Wild would have been a must play, but that's going to be on my Wii U. Fire Emblem as well, but I can play that on my 3DS.

My main issue at this point is space. I live in NYC and I've already got four consoles (Wii, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4) taking up space in my tiny ass apartment.

In the end it's going to come down to when a new smash / mario kart / whatever comes out for Switch only. At that point I'll probably bite the bullet and get one.

Especially if you want to run GCN games with progressive scan (or just via component cable), much easier to do this on a Wii than an actual GCN.

Between a potential price drop, buying a used system and waiting for a cheaper model that has basically been teased... Being done with Pokemon is an extreme option. And if you don't need your (presumably still functional) Wii U anymore, GameStop will give you $120 in-store credit for it ($110 for a 3DS XL and $90 for a regular 3DS).

I bought a used 3DS in 2013 for $100. It serves me well even now.
I used my Wii u to get the ps4 and I'm not to big on buying used systems.

I don't count on price drops,most systems price drop when their flailing,3ds,Wii u,Xbox 1 etc.

But like I said in 3 years or so I'll reconsider switch unless a slew of must have games that aren't on PS4 too come to it sooner.

I still own a new 3ds so I won't miss out on Nintendo IP anyway,I don't believe pokemon will be on switch anytime soon and even if it is it will still come to 3ds too.

Heck every good game is on 3ds,Yoshi,Mario kart,Mario maker,smash bros. Even splatoon is rumored to be coming to 3ds.

I just said I won't pay 400 to play pokemon

I used my Wii u to get the ps4 and I'm not to big on buying used systems.

I don't count on price drops,most systems price drop when their flailing,3ds,Wii u,Xbox 1 etc.

But like I said in 3 years or so I'll reconsider switch unless a slew of must have games that aren't on PS4 too come to it sooner.

I still own a new 3ds so I won't miss out on Nintendo IP anyway,I don't believe pokemon will be on switch anytime soon and even if it is it will still come to 3ds too.

Heck every good game is on 3ds,Yoshi,Mario kart,Mario maker,smash bros. Even splatoon is rumored to be coming to 3ds.

I just said I won't pay 400 to play pokemon

You're calling 3DS a flop?!

Okay... by the way, what is people's opinion now? I'm considering to pre-Order a Switch (Neon). Now with the discovery that you can complete a pair of red/blue Joy cons after buying a extra pair, and the coloured grips, I'm tempted to buy extra JoyCons and coloured grips.

Probably when they get a new Pokemon main series game. I'm kinda short on cash at the moment...

Yeah, probably. When I can afford one.

Today I kept my expectations low just to be safe. After all, online demand for the Switch is just insane, I don't work in the electronics department (so I don't know how many we even got shipped) and I know our store is somewhere on the low end of the corporate chain (despite having effectively no brick-and-mortar competition for videogame sales within 40 miles). I work at 6am, and when I arrived at the store (ten minutes 'til) there were already a group of 3 people outside waiting, plus two cars in the lot that were probably more people.

Turns out I didn't need to worry, our store got "plenty" of stock in and I was able to pick one up on my lunch hour. Heck, I could've waited my whole shift and picked one up before heading home.

So far it's just the console and the new Zelda game. I'll consider accessorizing tomorrow.

Last edited:
You're calling 3DS a flop?!

Okay... by the way, what is people's opinion now? I'm considering to pre-Order a Switch (Neon). Now with the discovery that you can complete a pair of red/blue Joy cons after buying a extra pair, and the coloured grips, I'm tempted to buy extra JoyCons and coloured grips.
Yeah when the 3ds launched it flopped and Nintendo cut its price and it took a couple years before it bounced back.

About the switch the general consensus I see is people love the idea of a hybrid console but seem to hate everything about the switch outside of the hybrid idea.

People seem to want a successful hybrid console so bad their willing to ignore all the red flags.

I like what one guy said: if this wasn't a Nintendo console would the hype be so big? If it was a new console by a new 4th company would people look past its flaws so fast?
If the new Zelda wasn't Zelda but a new IP would anyone care about an open world game graphically inferior to games on other consoles?

If it wasn't a Zelda game would you look past all its lacking? Would weapons wearing out and constantly having to stop and craft food be to much of an annoyance instead of a neat new idea?

Yeah when the 3ds launched it flopped and Nintendo cut its price and it took a couple years before it bounced back.

About the switch the general consensus I see is people love the idea of a hybrid console but seem to hate everything about the switch outside of the hybrid idea.

People seem to want a successful hybrid console so bad their willing to ignore all the red flags.

I like what one guy said: if this wasn't a Nintendo console would the hype be so big? If it was a new console by a new 4th company would people look past its flaws so fast?
If the new Zelda wasn't Zelda but a new IP would anyone care about an open world game graphically inferior to games on other consoles?

If it wasn't a Zelda game would you look past all its lacking? Would weapons wearing out and constantly having to stop and craft food be to much of an annoyance instead of a neat new idea?

Which sites do you visit, seriously? I've visited these forums, ign, kotakou, Reddit, gamefaqs, and most people are positive there.

And it is hyped becuase it IS Nintendo. It is the same company which made the Wii, that is why it is gaining exposure. They worked to get at this point.
Also, people aren't looking past its flaws, they are acknowledging them. Also, Zelda is getting praised by viewers everywhere.

It is the people's choice if they want to buy a console. You have no right to ask them 'why'. People spend their own money

My Tip: Try viewing other sites for 'general consensus'.

Which sites do you visit, seriously? I've visited these forums, ign, kotakou, Reddit, gamefaqs, and most people are positive there.

And it is hyped becuase it IS Nintendo. It is the same company which made the Wii, that is why it is gaining exposure. They worked to get at this point.
Also, people aren't looking past its flaws, they are acknowledging them. Also, Zelda is getting praised by viewers everywhere.

It is the people's choice if they want to buy a console. You have no right to ask them 'why'. People spend their own money

My Tip: Try viewing other sites for 'general consensus'.
I read alot of sites not just main stream ones like Kotaku or IGN.

The main thing I hear is I like the switch but if I didn't have to have one for my job ( from the reviewers) I wouldn't buy one.

And every switch comment from big 3rd party publishers is "oh I love the switch,so innovative" then they are asked are you making a game for it or bringing your last big release to it? "Nope"

This is a debate forum of course you ask why people are buying it,and then you debate why or why not

I read alot of sites not just main stream ones like Kotaku or IGN.
Here is a list of reviews for the Switch, mot of which are positive, and mind you, there are more than main stream reviews here-:
Hardware Review: Nintendo Switch (This one contains LOTS of reviews, by insignificant people too, and there isn't a single negative review)
Switch Review – Sizing Up Nintendo's New Console (this one on page 2 describes the JoyCon buttons as 'well built'₹
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/technology/review-nintendo-switch.html

The main thing I hear is I like the switch but if I didn't have to have one for my job ( from the reviewers) I wouldn't buy one.
Interesting, I never got across any reviewer saying that, so, either they are very insignificant, or only a few are saying that.

And every switch comment from big 3rd party publishers is "oh I love the switch,so innovative" then they are asked are you making a game for it or bringing your last big release to it? "Nope"
Never heard them outright refusing developing games. Uncertainty dosen't mean outright no.

This is a debate forum of course you ask why people are buying it,and then you debate why or why not

This is a debate forum of course you ask why people buy it,and then you debate why or why not.
Sure this is a debate forum, but you have no right to ask why people buy a specific thing. It is their opinion. If they want to dump their money somewhere, we cannot do anything.
We can debate becuase we have a set opinion, and we WANT to share our reasons.

Here is a list of reviews for the Switch, mot of which are positive, and mind you, there are more than main stream reviews here-:
Hardware Review: Nintendo Switch (This one contains LOTS of reviews, by insignificant people too, and there isn't a single negative review)
Switch Review – Sizing Up Nintendo's New Console (this one on page 2 describes the JoyCon buttons as 'well built'₹
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/technology/review-nintendo-switch.html

Interesting, I never got across any reviewer saying that, so, either they are very insignificant, or only a few are saying that.

Never heard them outright refusing developing games. Uncertainty dosen't mean outright no.

Sure this is a debate forum, but you have no right to ask why people buy a specific thing. It is their opinion. If they want to dump their money somewhere, we cannot do anything.
There's alot of articles out there I know I haven't read them all but the things I list that I've heard are across the board.

Even mainstream like nerdist said only buy a switch if you don't like having 300 dollars.

I have seen a couple outright articles loving the switch,one admitted he's a hardcore Zelda fan.

I haven't seen 1 single article that didn't list more bad things than good,yet at the same time praising the switch ( kinda weird)

As for 3rd party developers the Titan fall guy outright ridiculed the switch and said they'd never produce for Nintendo,but I think it's Todd Howard from Bethesda when asked if more of their games other than Skyrim were coming said Nintendo all but told them they aren't interested in Bethesda games on their consoles.

Very insightful.

What is your opinion? You seem very heavy in favor of switch,why is that? What do you like about it?

I've explained my view what's yours?

Well, I've played mine for a couple of hours so far, so I'll give some of my first impressions. For context, I'm not really a gamer. It's an expensive hobby and I really don't have a lot of money to spend on hobbies, so if I so much as buy a handheld I have to think carefully about it.

I'm surprised at how comfortable the Joycon (Joycons? I honestly don't know what terminology everyone else is using) is to use. They're taking a bit of getting used to, given that the layout isn't that familiar. You might want to take into account that I'm always a bit hamfisted at first, but I have found the buttons a bit fiddly. Other than that, I like how small and unobtrusive it is. I like that I have the option to play it as comfortably in an armchair on my lap as I can in front of the TV

In regards to playing it, I've been playing Breath of the Wild. As a tablet, or in desktop mode the screen is a bit small for the game - it's still entirely playable but I'd definitely want to mostly play it on a TV. Graphically I really like it. No, it's not photorealistic, but there's more than one way to make a pretty world, and Breath of the Wild does exactly that. Breath of the Wild was a big factor in my decision to buy my own Switch - I don't see that as a problem. The Switch is something to play games on, and as far as I can tell nothing else, and I'm happy with that.

There's alot of articles out there I know I haven't read them all but the things I list that I've heard are across the board.

Even mainstream like nerdist said only buy a switch if you don't like having 300 dollars.

I have seen a couple outright articles loving the switch,one admitted he's a hardcore Zelda fan.

I haven't seen 1 single article that didn't list more bad things than good,yet at the same time praising the switch ( kinda weird)

As for 3rd party developers the Titan fall guy outright ridiculed the switch and said they'd never produce for Nintendo,but I think it's Todd Howard from Bethesda when asked if more of their games other than Skyrim were coming said Nintendo all but told them they aren't interested in Bethesda games on their consoles.

Very insightful.

What is your opinion? You seem very heavy in favor of switch,why is that? What do you like about it?

I've explained my view what's yours?

Okay... Switch will (most probably) be my first console purchase of any kind after the Wii. I wanted a console to play Pokemon and other games (Snipperclips and Zelda have appealed to me in this period). Switch just looks like a nice design, probably the best Nintendo's ever given.
I focus on design more than specs, and would enjoy a game of Wii sports any day, so a great design sells me onto it mostly.
Also, I'll be mostly using it in handheld mode. I'll be buying it becuase a 3DS successor is not likely, but if 3DS successor happens, I'll be buying it.

Actually he does have a right to ask why people would want to buy it. It is a simple question and if he feels that people are dumping then let him.

Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean they can't be challenged on it.

Honestly if I didn't go on this forum, I wouldn't have known the release date. Nintendo's marketing as been way low compared to the competition which isn't surprising since the Wii U had the same problems.

I guess this is what turns out of never watching the commercials XD. If you are asking why to buy it, then-
1. Have group gaming sessions. I've read lots of people having a blast with 1-2-Switch.
2. Are invested in Nintendo exclusive games like Pokemon, Zelda etc.
3. See potential in Switch.
4. Like something about the console like design or concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom