• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys, I was watching a few Spanish interviews with Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, that they made when promoting SM in Spain a few moths ago... You guys know about the Meristation interview, but those here are less famous interviews given to youtubers... I don´t feel like making a thread for this, so here are the most interesting parts (I watched over 5 interviews in a row so I don´t remember which extract is from which interview)...

- Masuda is asked why didn´t they make Pokemon Z after X and Y. He answers that a Pokemon Z type of game was never in their plans, because they wanted to surprise us with something unexpected, like in Gen V with BW2 instead of Grey. So after X and Y, they made ORAS instead; and then, they wanted to surprise people once again, so they decided to make Sun and Moon for the 20 Anniversary.
(I post this, because, unlike in other interviews, Masuda highlights that a Pokemon Z type of game was never planned and then cancelled, like some fans seem to believe)

- Shigeru is asked why did they decide to not add Triple and Rotat. styles in Sun and Moon. He answers that they wanted to innovate the battle enviroment of the games, so instead of Triple and Rotat. battle styles, they added the Royal instead. And additionally, created Z moves as well for the same purpose.
(so, just as I thought, it seems that Triple and Ro. battles were removed because GF just felt like it, not because "hardware issues" like a lot of fans seem to believe. Of course, it could just be an excuse and simple PR talk, but I don´t think it is, and so it seems those battle styles won´t be back, at least this Generation)

- Masuda is asked how do they plan to make a game for Nintendo´s new hybrid console, and what could it bring to the table for Pokemon. He answers that before even thinking about making a game on that console, they need to study how people use it, how do they play on it, and only then will they start thinking about developing on it.
(so literally what he said to Meristation, but even more enforcing the idea that they are NOT corrently developing on Swihtc. This answer was given in 2 different interviews I found, 3 when counting the Meristation one from before)

- Both are asked which is their favourite moment in the entire main series.
Masuda answers it is probably the ending of XY, since he drew the entire storyboard himself.
Ohmri says for him, it is maybe the Volcano Trial in Sun and Moon.
(I am surprised XY are so special to Masuda... I thought he was gonna say some part of the development of Ruby and Sapphire, or Red and Green, tbh, but this shows that he definitely likes XY)

- Masuda is asked about his favourite music theme in the entire game series, from RGB to SM. He says his favourite is Cynthia´s Diamond and Pearl battle theme.
(So, Masuda is a Cynthia fan :p)

Last edited:
He answers that before even thinking about making a game in that console, they need to study how people use it, how do they play on it, and only then will they start thinking about developing on it.
This is something we've known for quite some time. With the way its selling well, it does give them a lot to really work with, study wise.

And can we change subjects cause this subject about what console the next game should be on just goes around in circles.

This is something we've known for quite some time. With the way its selling well, it does give them a lot to really work with, study wise.

And can we change subjects cause this subject about what console the next game should be on just goes around in circles.
We've know this, but from a different interview (the Meristation interview). I have found new interviews where he says the same thing, that's why I posted it...

Edit: Also I am not sure if the post I made with the interviews is completely on topic for this thread. So, I ask the moderators to place it in a more suitable thread if they consider it is too off topic here. And sorry in advance...

Last edited:
but even more enforcing the idea that they are NOT corrently developing on Swihtc.

But hypothetically, if they were developing a Switch game, why would they be honest about it before they were ready to reveal it? There's no good reason for them to do anything other than deny it.

Masuda answers it is probably the ending of XY, since he drew the entire storyboard himself.

Well, let's not let him do that again.

(I am surprised XY are so special to Masuda... I thought he was gonna say some part of the development of Ruby and Sapphire, or Red and Green, tbh, but this shows that he definitely likes XY)

I don't find it surprising at all. Having read various interviews with him about XY, it's clear that he put a lot of personal thought into them and wanted them to say something important (to what degree he succeeded is certainly up for debate), and is proud of the technical accomplishments as well because it was an enormous project. I've used the word "auteur" to describe XY before, and that may not be exactly right, but I feel like it's close. They have distinct themes that Masuda finds interesting and are very structured around those.

I wonder what's so special about XY, it was a good game, but it lacks to post-game materials, maybe because it was the first pokemon game to 3ds

@Soki, Okay, whether if "Star" might happen or might happen, but let's see if they announce it may or june, if they don't announce, then I think might scrap the whole idea of stars happen (which I doubt).

If Stars does not happen, what do people we will see in 2017 for Pokemon? I'd go with my previous belief on a break year. Or maybe Kanto sequels?

I think Kanto Sequels make the most sense after SM. Lillie going to Kanto in the end of SM is a good hint already...

We are already warmed up to Kanto after the VC re-releases. It´s the perfect time to show us Kanto in glorious 3D, be it on 3DS or on on a new console...

It would make a lot more sense than Stars imo.

If Stars does not happen, what do people we will see in 2017 for Pokemon? I'd go with my previous belief on a break year. Or maybe Kanto sequels?
If stars doesn't happen in 2017, we might get a spin-off game (mystery dungeon), or it might be a break year, but I don't know about kanto sequel, we might see them in the future, but not to soon
I think Kanto Sequels make the most sense. Lillie going to Kanto in the end of SM is a good hint...

We are already warmed up to Kanto after the VC re-releases. It´s the perfect time to show us Kanto in glorious 3D, be it on 3DS or on on a new console...
Don't we already have some many kanto reference and VC, why do we need a kanto sequel so soon.

Don't we already have some many kanto reference and VC, why do we need a kanto sequel so soon.
Because Kanto fans don´t want little Kanto references in non- Kanto games, they want a game IN KANTO. And a NEW game, not VC Kanto, which is not a new game.

Because Kanto hasn't ever had an update before. LGFR was basically the original Kanto + the Sevii Islands. VC Kanto is the original Kanto. The Kanto in HGSS was really watered down and not much of an update.

The Kanto Pokemon have had so many upgrades over the years, but the region itself has been forgotten.

- Shigeru is asked why did they decide to not add Triple and Rotat. styles in Sun and Moon. He answers that they wanted to innovate the battle enviroment of the games, so instead of Triple and Rotat. battle styles, they added the Royal instead. And additionally, created Z moves as well for the same purpose.
(so, just as I thought, it seems that Triple and Ro. battles were removed because GF just felt like it, not because "hardware issues" like a lot of fans seem to believe. Of course, it could just be an excuse and simple PR talk, but I don´t think it is, and so it seems those battle styles won´t be back, at least this Generation)

- :p)

..That really sucks, but it Does sound like GF. But I have no idea what the heck is going on with them so who knows what they'll do. You can't even have battle Royale online, so to mean it feels like a poorly implemented replacement imo. Oh well. Maybe 8th gen is when it comes back.

If Stars doesn't happen in 2017, I'm willing to bet it happens in 2018. It would be the first time they've delayed like that, but if they are developing it for the Switch it may be a required delay to deal with unexpected technical problems.

..That really sucks, but it Does sound like GF. But I have no idea what the heck is going on with them so who knows what they'll do. You can't even have battle Royale online, so to mean it feels like a poorly implemented replacement imo. Oh well. Maybe 8th gen is when it comes back.
What happens for Gen 4 remake, will they bring back Triple/Rotation Battle for Gen 4 remake, the Battle Royal won't appear in that
If Stars doesn't happen in 2017, I'm willing to bet it happens in 2018. It would be the first time they've delayed like that, but if they are developing it for the Switch it may be a required delay to deal with unexpected technical problems.
Well I wouldn't mind if they delay "Stars" for Nintendo Switch, Because I want Pokemon to work on Switch the right way, but when people already got Switch, they some sort of Wi-fi problem, so yeah it would make since if they pushed it back till 2018 to improve it, but if Stars don't happen this year, I hoping for a spin-off game, maybe find out of what that trademark "PokeDaringu" means, maybe it's a Pokemon Mytsery Dungeon game or 2017 might be a break years, but just in case, this is just pure speculation for right now, nothing confirmed or debunked for "Stars" yet

What happens for Gen 4 remake, will they bring back Triple/Rotation Battle for Gen 4 remake, the Battle Royal won't appear in that
t

It's more likely both battle formats will come when Black and White remakes come about, whenever that is. They'd kinda have too, if not the first game of that gen to test out the formats again. Though the more I think about it, the more I think its PR. If Battle Royale is truly the replacement, they wouldn't half heartedly do it so much, it would at least be a option online in free battles or something.

I think Kanto Sequels make the most sense after SM. Lillie going to Kanto in the end of SM is a good hint already...

It would make a lot more sense than Stars imo.

I was REALLY hoping we'd get FRLG remakes or sequels after ORAS to fill in those last two Pokebank slots found in Gen VI, but better late than never, hell I wanted ORAS in Gen V, but hell am I glad they waited, and it makes sense now too since XY rebooted the series considering it introduced a new dimensional timeline.

I'd be happy with DP remakes or Kanto games at this point, I'm kinda bored of Alola already, I'd rather they not go to the same region back-to-back like Platinum and BW2 did to their predecessors.

I heard it's going to be a Sinnoh Remake with a new updated version of the Orange Islands where the trials will be implemented...

Back
Top Bottom