• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I highly doubt that Gen 8 is coming out this year. Gen 7 hasn't got its chance to shine yet. I predict that there will be one more Gen VII game on the 3DS, preferably Sinnoh remakes. This might not even be for Pokemon.

No, he's right. He never said Gen 8 is coming out this year, he said it's probably begun development, they start development on the next generation almost right after they release the initial games of the current gen. I've heard they have two teams developing games, one developing the initial releases of every generation, and another team using the initial releases and modifying them for remakes/sequels/third version-type games.

What would you prefer- 3DS games which lag in every step... or Shining new lag-free advanced games on the Switch?
Any further game on the 3DS will be full of lag, or will not have any improvements at all from Sun and Moon.

What would you prefer- 3DS games which lag in every step... or Shining new lag-free advanced games on the Switch?
Any further game on the 3DS will be full of lag, or will not have any improvements at all from Sun and Moon.

Well I highly doubt they're gonna go to a new system mid-generation, we will be getting at least another set of games on the 3DS, asking for another game doesn't automatically mean it will be laggy, let's take a hypothetical Sinnoh remake for example, the entire setting is gonna be totally different, automatically assuming any game they make now is going to lag is nonsense. And for the record, I don't even notice this lag you all speak of so often. Maybe you guys need some new hardware, my original 3DS plays Sun just fine.

Last edited:
And for the record, I don't even notice this lag you all speak of so often. Maybe you guys need some new hardware, my original 3DS plays Sun just fine.

Before this discussion starts again: multiple people (including me) with a New 3DS (XL) have reported the lag. It's not an hardware issue. The lag is a fact, some people just don't notice it it seems.

That said, even though the lag doesn't make the game unplayable (except if you like doing Double Battles in the Battle Tree), I would definitely prefer a game that doesn't have loading screens when I enter a fence at least. I avoided the fences when possible just for that reason.

Well I highly doubt they're gonna go to a new system mid-generation, we will be getting at least another set of games on the 3DS, asking for another game doesn't automatically mean it will be laggy, let's take a hypothetical Sinnoh remake for example, the entire setting is gonna be totally different, automatically assuming any game they make now is going to lag is nonsense. And for the record, I don't even notice this lag you all speak of so often. Maybe you guys need some new hardware, my original 3DS plays Sun just fine.

Well... many (and I mean many) people have reported lag issues on this thread, and many others. It is agreed upon that Sun and Moon reached the limits of the 3DS.
What I'm saying is that the next game cannot be expected to be better than SM on 3DS.

The lag is horrible and inexcuseable as such I won't buy the 3ds' lack of power as an excuse because it's inexcuseable. If there were a shit ton of things happening in Sun and moon maybe but it's not uprising or smash bros or anything it's a turn based RPG. I really don't trust game freak to make a fast game at all. I legit half suspect that GF's first Switch game will wind up being like Colosseum but HD in that regard.

I can wait for gen 7 to end it's one freaking game (most likely it might be two) and it will make things a lot simpler. Also I like dedicated Nintendo handhelds I want to say goodbye to them being supported with the most popular and successful franchise they had as well the series I started my game library with. Maybe that's a bit sentimental but whatever.

Also $40 < $60

Current timeline prediction:

2017 Gap year
2018 Alola follow up or Sinnoh remake on 3ds. Leaning towards the first one.
2019 Gen 8 on the Switch.

Last edited:
Even though the Switch costs about $120 more than America here, it costs R5 600, I would still prefer a new Switch game than a 3DS one. The barrier to entry may be big, but the upgrades will be worth it.

You can't assume that every 3DS Pokemon game after SM will be a laggy mess. SM itself is not a laggy mess. We can still have one more 3DS game before they start producing Switch games. Also, GF are typically not early adapters.

You can't assume that every 3DS Pokemon game after SM will be a laggy mess.
If we need to add more features, we have to assume it.

SM itself is not a laggy mess.
The majority says otherwise.

We can still have one more 3DS game before they start producing Switch games. Also, GF are typically not early adapters.
To the Mods- Can we please put up a note saying that "They have not done this before" is NOT a good argument, for the sake of stopping endless repitition?

The lag occurs during double battles, as in, the battles that the official tournaments use. So yes, it is perfectly acceptable to call Sm out for it's lag, as it occurs during very important parts of the game. Unless Gamefreak find a way to create a new lag free game on 3DS, which I doubt, then Pokemon needs to move on.

I also agree that the "gamefreak have never done it so it is unlikely" argument is a pathetic one. Gamefreak have proven time and time again that they are perfectly capable of doing things they have never done before. However, for the people that DO use this argument, well, Gamefreak have never had two different remake games on the same console before, so using your very own logic, Diamond and pearl remakes will not be on 3DS.

ポケモン サン ムーン、マイナーチェンジ版は、2018年の秋から冬に発売か

Large Japanese website Pokemon Memo writes that it is highly possible for Pokemon Stars to be released in 2018 autumn to winter.
Pokemon Memo has discovered that Game Freak is hiring Maya 3D motion artists that specifically dealt with PS vita scaled modeling.
Pokemon Memo thinks that this is related to Pokemon Stars and predicts that if they are hiring now, they should finish during autumn 2018.
Game Freak states that they are hiring 3D artists that specifically uses Maya to create PS vita scaled models, and must be experienced in creating models for monster characters AND deformed characters.
So it likely to be a Pokemon game instead of Giga Wrecker, Tembo or any human-centered game

EDIT: I think Joe Merrick was talking about this, but after reading Game Freak's post, Joe had quite a few inaccuracies.

Large Japanese website Pokemon Memo writes that it is highly possible for Pokemon Stars to be released in 2018 autumn to winter.
Pokemon Memo has discovered that Game Freak is hiring Maya 3D artists that specifically dealt with PS4 scaled modeling.
Pokemon Memo thinks that this is related to Pokemon Stars and predicts that if they are hiring now, they should finish during autumn 2018.
Game Freak states that they are hiring 3D artists that specifically uses Maya to create PS4 scaled models, and must be experienced in creating models for monster characters AND deformed characters.
So it likely to be a Pokemon game instead of Giga Wrecker, Tembo or any human-centered game

EDIT: I think Joe Merrick was talking about this, but after reading Game Freak's post, Joe had quite a few inaccuracies.

Do you mean this one, by any chance?

GF is apparently hiring "Motion Designers", I wonder what could that mean for Switch, specifically Pokemon.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/603xe1/speculation_gamefreak_is_hiring_motion_designer/

Do you mean this one, by any chance?
Probably they are reading the same job advert.
But what I read (directly from Japanese) is different from what the English sites say.

What I read is they are hiring a Motion Modeler. Which I don't think it's the same with a motion designer.

Pokemon Memo has discovered that Game Freak is hiring Maya 3D motion artists that specifically dealt with PS vita scaled modeling.
Game Freak states that they are hiring 3D artists that specifically uses Maya to create PS vita scaled models, and must be experienced in creating models for monster characters AND deformed characters.

Guess this could mean a break year for 2017. It was something I speculated for a long time in 2016.

Hey, I was reading all tye comments and I felt the urge to point out some things...

1. About the "3DS has reached it's limit, time to move on" comment, that I see Stars supporters constantly throwing around: Pokemon has only reached it's GRAPHICAL LIMIT on the 3ds. But since there is never a graphical jump inside a generation (only between generations) if they are indeed making a third game of SM, it will just use the same engine of SM, like it yas always been with third versions (Emerald, Platinum,Crystal didn't have better graphics than their original pairs). So, next Generation should be on a better hardware, but not the next Gen VII version, as said graphical limit that they reached with SM won't be surpassed by a hypothetical third game.

2. Extra content does NOT make the game lag. What makes SM a laggy mess is the excess of 3D models that appear and move on the screen simultaneously; in other words, if they made a third version of SM on the 3DS, and added 4 Battle Frontiers, with 10 Facilities in each, the game wouldn't lag any more than SM currently does, as long as they don't appear on screen simultaneously. So the 3DS won't suffer if extra content is added in Stars.

3. If your argument is: "but SM is inexcusably laggy already, this is a sign that they can't put the next game on 3DS!" you are wrong. SM was just as laggy before it was released worldwide. If the current amount of lag and slowdowns that SM has now, didn't stop them from releasing SM in its current state, then I assure you it won't stop them from rereleasing it with a few added features in the form of a third version. Especially since third versions are usually bought by three times less fans than the original game pair. Which means a lot less people would experience said performance issues xD If they weren't scared of 16 million fellas complaining, they won't be scared of 7 million complaining.

4. The blurred text lines in some instances of SM, doesn´t mean the 3DS has reached its limit, either. It could be a simple glitch, that the developers overlooked, and that can easily be fixed in their next 3DS game.

5. Triple and Rotation battles, contrary to popular belief, weren´t removed because SM couldn´t handle them, according to Masuda and Ohmori. They were removed simply because GF wanted to change up the battle environment of SM, and so replaced Triple and Rotation battles with the newly developed Battle Royal. This was cleared up by Ohmori and Masuda in a recent interview for a spanish youtuber.

6. Regarding the news about GF hiring new motion designers, if it's true that they are hiring those for a Switch game, and that they are only hiring them now... then the Eurogamer leak is incorrect since according to Eurogamer Stars has been in development together with SM. Those motion designers would've been hired long ago if that was true. And if they are only hiring them now, then it could very well be for Gen VIII on Switch, not for Stars.

And in case it wasn't clear, I am not saying Stars is not going to happen: Stars being true is 50/50 for me. I just felt the urge to tackle some flawed arguments thrown around xD

Edit: edited to answer the below post of @Akira Bond

Last edited:
Maybe my standards for lag are just high. I used to play PC games with a shitty internet where I'd pull 2-5 FPS for 5-10 seconds straight, compared to that, I don't notice anything on SM, and I play Battle Royales and doubles in the Battle Tree a lot. The only time I honestly notice it is when a Z-move is used.

I think Kanto Sequels make the most sense after SM. Lillie going to Kanto in the end of SM is a good hint already...

We are already warmed up to Kanto after the VC re-releases. It´s the perfect time to show us Kanto in glorious 3D, be it on 3DS or on on a new console...

It would make a lot more sense than Stars imo.

What about Sinnoh games? Can we say the UB plot has Sinnoh written all over it?

What about Sinnoh games? Can we say the UB plot has Sinnoh written all over it?
I feel like currently Stars/sequel is more likely to happen than both Sinnoh and Kanto remakes. If we go by the 5 year remake pattern Sinnoh should be remade in 2019, and Kanto remakes... would have been good for Pokemon's 20th anniversary. So if that was to happen, it may come out on Pokemon's 25th or 30th, in 2021 or 2026.

As far as the motion designer thing goes I think people are looking at it the wrong way. I don't think the designer they are looking for would be for Stars. If the Eurogamer rumor is true, then the game would be much closer to SM in the first place. Right now the models and assets in SM (and even XY) are made with HD (or closer to it anyway) in mind. The models themselves can be scaled up to match higher resolution screens. Game Freak aren't making the assets jaggy and with laggy motion. It's the 3DS that's doing it. Yes I know games have done better graphically than SM currently do, but the fact of the matter is that even the best looking 3DS games still look jaggy and kind of garbage-y. It's not entirely the fault of the developers, it's also the fact that's the 3DS is incredibly under powered. Even the New 3DS is still not much better. With all that in mind they can easily put out a higher res version of SM (via Stars) and it would be fine. Given the time period for the eventual designer's contract I believe that they are being brought on for a game that would come out after Stars. If they get hired soon enough they may be able to help with some final touches to Stars to make it look more crisp, but they will likely be on for the next game in the timeline after Stars.

As far as the motion designer thing goes I think people are looking at it the wrong way. I don't think the designer they are looking for would be for Stars. If the Eurogamer rumor is true, then the game would be much closer to SM in the first place. Right now the models and assets in SM (and even XY) are made with HD (or closer to it anyway) in mind. The models themselves can be scaled up to match higher resolution screens. Game Freak aren't making the assets jaggy and with laggy motion. It's the 3DS that's doing it. Yes I know games have done better graphically than SM currently do, but the fact of the matter is that even the best looking 3DS games still look jaggy and kind of garbage-y. It's not entirely the fault of the developers, it's also the fact that's the 3DS is incredibly under powered. Even the New 3DS is still not much better. With all that in mind they can easily put out a higher res version of SM (via Stars) and it would be fine. Given the time period for the eventual designer's contract I believe that they are being brought on for a game that would come out after Stars. If they get hired soon enough they may be able to help with some final touches to Stars to make it look more crisp, but they will likely be on for the next game in the timeline after Stars.

Well, that also depends on how they are developing Stars. If they are doing as I suspect with hiring a motion designer for it, then quite likely they are dumping and redoing the animations from scratch or even making Stars an entirely different kind of game. It's not unusual for a game developer to trashcan all of the work they've already done when they decide it isn't working, and I suspect the Switch is presenting some problems that are entirely new to the GF team but which many other developers are long used to with other consoles.

As such, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get Stars until 2019 or 2020 and have it be entirely different than Sun and Moon in many areas, even if it's just a remake of Sun and Moon.

Back
Top Bottom