• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most disappointing Alola Pokémon?

Crabrawler looked rather promising. Its flavor text and design gave it a surprising amount of personality. Unfortunately, the same really couldn't be said for its evo. Crabominable not only looks ugly as hell, its lack of priority moves (Ice Shard, Mach Punch), speed, and/or bulk completely wastes its unique and powerful type combo. Not to mention that the only way to evolve this thing is to go to what is essentially the very last stage and level it up there, which feels like an incredibly pointless use of a feature that was already used since Gen IV. While it makes sense from a contextual standpoint (Crabrawler wants to be at the very literal top, apparently), the fact that Crabrawler pretty much appeared as an unevolved Com mon throughout the journey just makes raising Crabrawler a complete waste of time unless you either want a challenge or you have an acquaintance who already became the champion who has the patience to raise your Pokemon to at least one level.

---

While I prefer the Midnight form's design, it has some serious stat distribution issues. 85/75/75 ain't defending jack if you ask me, especially since Rock is pretty pitiful as a defensive type. Also, why doesn't it have the Dark type?

---

Lurantis is pretty much completely outclassed by Tsareena in almost literally every way.

---

On a lesser note, Komala's somewhat forgettable at first, but I'm amused by its dark lore and I'm intrigued by its gimmick in Comatose, which gives it an artificial Sleep status of sorts. Too bad its just as expendable as any other Normal type

It's still one of my favourite Pokemon and the design is no less amazing because of it, but 43 Speed is an absolute joke, so I'll go with Vikavolt. Grubbin itself is faster than that! So disappointing.

Recently for me, I'd have to say Palossand. The thing is almost a chore to raise. It's tank-like bulk would be okay if it could USE that bulk more efficiently. Even when raising it right, its deadly slow to the point it gets a whoopin' before it can land one attack. I was planning to use one in my main Sun version (I have two, thanks to my aunt buying me a second one for Christmas), but it's so tediously slow and its low Sp. Def makes it a liability against special-hitting Grass and Water types, both of which are very abundant. Too bad Water Compaction doesn't raise Sp. Def along with Def, then it would probably give it more to work with. Sure, its Sp. Atk and Def are good, but I've had trouble getting the most out of those stats before it gets its sandy posterior handed to it. I eventually had to give up on it after a few levels past evolution. There are better and sturdier tanks that it with more efficient tactics (I hear Toxepex is a pretty formidable wall, with the added perk of poison tactics and Merciless, so I might raise one in my second Sun now that I got one to breed with thanks to a fellow user's kindness). I had high hopes for Palossand, but it turned out to not be worth the sand it's made of.

I was hoping Incineroar's Speed would increase as it evolved since, you know, cat Pokemon are known for being fast. If Purugly has a base speed of 112, why is Incineroar so damn slow? I know it's a bulky bipedal, but that speed tanks and its defences mean nothing if it is weak to some very commonly used moves out there.

I was hoping Incineroar's Speed would increase as it evolved since, you know, cat Pokemon are known for being fast. If Purugly has a base speed of 112, why is Incineroar so damn slow? I know it's a bulky bipedal, but that speed tanks and its defences mean nothing if it is weak to some very commonly used moves out there.
That reminds me: I was surprised to see that Dartrix's stat spread is different from Decidueye's. What I mean is that Dartrix's HP is its highest stat, followed by its Attack and Defence. After evolution, its HP and Defence didn't change, which explains why its Defence seems low. Decidueye's stat spread is fairly interesting, even if I thought it could have been utilised better (for one, it learns a dearth of Special attacks, so its Special Attack stat is going to seem like a wasted opportunity that is hopefully simple to fix).

I thought that the curveball in stats made these Pokemon interesting because normally when we see the starters' stats, we expect the final evolution to follow suit. That's why is a bit disappointing for me that Popplio's stat spread is the only one which is consistent all the way through, which is probably a missed opportunity on the developers' part.

Thanks for reading.

Midnight Lycanrock-no sig move for it, and no special typing. With such a cool design, why not give it something special like its other form?

I still like Vikavolt, but I wish it kept Battery instead of getting Levitate, or at least had two ability slots with both.

Midnight Lycanrock-no sig move for it, and no special typing. With such a cool design, why not give it something special like its other form?

I still like Vikavolt, but I wish it kept Battery instead of getting Levitate, or at least had two ability slots with both.
The idea behind the Lycanroc forms seems to have been a contrast of priority. Accelerock has boosted priority whereas Counter (Midnight's signature move) has reduced priority.

The problem is that, as a move, Counter sucks. Meanwhile, Accelerock is objectively awesome.

All the Alolan forms that, for some reason, focused on adding hair rather than anything interesting. *cough* Dugtrio's golden locks and Geodude's unibrow *cough*

As for an actual Alolan pokemon, I'd say the UBs were most disappointing. They just look awful to me, though I did like their post-game appearances.

On that note, the bear Pokémon are the ones that really got hosed on speed. I mean, American grizzly bears have been clocked at similar speeds as cats, and can maintain it for longer distances, but every bear Pokémon has a base speed of 60 or lower.

Here's my list of disappointing Alola Pokemon.

Pyukumuku: It doesn't learn a single directly damaging move.
Oricorio: Their moveset is the same regardless of form, and the only way they can use their primary STAB is through Revelation Dance.
Togedemaru: Yet another victim of the "Dedenne syndrome". It's only Steel-type move is Gyro Ball through TM, and it's too fast to make use of it.
Crabominable: Slow and doesn't get Mach Punch or Ice Shard.
Kommo-o: Shallow Fighting-type movepool and a nasty 4x Fairy-weakness makes this the weakest psuedo-legendary ever.
Lurantis: Absolutely outclassed by Tsareena in every way. It's only niche is a Contrary Leaf Storm user, which Serperior is better at.

Last edited:
Pyukumuku: It doesn't learn a single damaging move.
It actually does, but they require it to be hit. (Unless you count Toxic and Hail) It's supposed to be a gimmicky Pokemon like Wobuffet. (Not to say you're wrong for disliking it, just pointing out its niche)
Oricorio: Their moveset is the same regardless of form, and the only way they can use their primary STAB is through Revelation Dance.
I actually never realized that! That's really frustrating-why give a Pokemon forms with different types that can't use them?

I actually never realized that! That's really frustrating-why give a Pokemon forms with different types that can't use them?
I'm using one in Moon rn and I'm super annoyed by this. I'm about to face Molayne in battle and my team doesn't have a reliable way of handling Steel types. Baile-form Oricorio would be perfect for this but I don't have access to the Red Nectar yet and I also don't have Revelation Dance. Would it have been so hard to give this thing at least one STAB for each of its potential types? They don't even have to be good STAB. I'd settle for an Ember, tbh.

Alolan Raichu.

When I saw it and that it's a surfer, my thought was along the lines of it being part water type. An electric/water type would not have been bad at all for this game. And it would have been nice to get away from the existing two with that type combo.

Nope. Psychic type. The type that I have the least use for in this set.

Let's talk about SIlvally.
It had everything to be a discount Arceus; a useful Pokemon to throw around for some more type coverage. With all those memories, I was sure it was going to be able to have a bunch of different movesets possible.
That's not the case.
Fairy, Ground, Grass and Fighting memories are useless, because there are no STAB moves outside of Multi-Attack, which while it is a decent move, it would be cool to have a bit more of a variety on moveset.
And the same thing goes for the special stat. Because of the moveset, it is rarely used.
Type: Null is probally more useful, because you can give it an Eviolite!

Salazzle.

The more I analyze her, the angrier I get. Her Corrosion ability had bulky steel- and poison-types cowering in fear of what she could do to them. Too bad it's wasted by her pitiful 68/60/60 bulk. Granted, her typing comes with a lot of resistances, notably to fighting, fire, ice, and fairy, but that comes at the price of weaknesses some of the most common coverage moves in earthquake, stone edge, and scald, and her weak defenses means she can hardly afford to even switch into a resisted hit.

Speaking of coverage moves, her only viable coverage option outside of its dual STAB is hidden power. Granted, fire/poison STAB hits most things at least neutrally, bar rock types, water/ground types, water/poison types, and Heatran, but seriously: why can this thing learn more physical moves than special moves via TM? Take a look at some of her coverage options: dragon claw, leech life, shadow claw are all viable coverage moves...or they would be if her attack wasn't sixty-freakin-four. Thanks for that one, Game Freak.

She gets to use nasty plot, which is nice, but once again, her laughable bulk makes it impossible to set up without passing her a substitute first. Her 117 speed is great, but she still loses to common choice scarf users and most forms of priority, once again because of her lack of anything resembling bulk. Her weakness to stealth rock is also a huge detriment, further reducing her already nonexistent ability to take hits and limiting the amount of times she can switch in.

Oh, and watch out for thunder wave. If she gets paralyzed, her speed is going to drop from a fearsome 366 (with 252EVs and a Timid nature) to an anemic 183. Anything with at least base 85 speed will outspeed it now, and that's with no EV investment.

but it's so tediously slow and its low Sp. Def makes it a liability against special-hitting Grass and Water types, both of which are very abundant. Too bad Water Compaction doesn't raise Sp. Def along with Def, then it would probably give it more to work with. Sure, its Sp. Atk and Def are good, but I've had trouble getting the most out of those stats before it gets its sandy posterior handed to it.
maybe in future it will activate too with rain, get +2 sp. def and +2def . or reduce water damage by half.
past pokemon got stats boost, maybe it will too.

hmmm , I would say Lycanroc night form, its stats and lack of secondary typing makes it not the best werewolf pokemon. Its design its fantastic, but thats all.

Last edited:
For me the most disappointing pokemon in Alola were:

-Komala. Doesn't evolve. Looks meh.
-Oricorio. I was so excited when I first saw them! I love the Baile and Sensu styles! Then I learned they do not learn any moves for their typings and decided not to use the one I caught. I blame this on the fact they can change form any time and that prevented them from getting unique movesets for each form. They should have just left out the nectar gimmick and gave them different movesets.

I was also disappointed that Crabrawler and Charjabug can only evolve so late into the game. You can get them so early, why limit the ability to evolve them to pretty much endgame?

-Oricorio. I was so excited when I first saw them! I love the Baile and Sensu styles! Then I learned they do not learn any moves for their typings and decided not to use the one I caught. I blame this on the fact they can change form any time and that prevented them from getting unique movesets for each form. They should have just left out the nectar gimmick and gave them different movesets.

Yeah. With Oricorio being the only Electric/Flying Pokemon to learn Hurricane I had an idea for an Electric Oricorio set I wanted to use. But then I saw it doesn't learn Thunder and it doesn't learn Rain Dance, which annoyed me. Yet it does learn Sandstorm for some reason? Its movepool is all over the place and needs a bit of work. I still love the concept of the dancing birds though.

Incineroar should've stayed on all four instead of becoming a pseudo-Fire/Fighting type, this was obviously GF absolutely fucking with us. Should've stayed on all fours and became like a Fire/Electric feline.

I'm genuinely annoyed that Decidueye loses Flying-type without gaining HA Levitate, they've done it with Flygon and Hydreigon to acknowledge that these non-Flying type Pokémon still retain the ability to fly, why couldn't this have been done for Decidueye?

Necrozma looks so cool but pretty much sucks. It's signature move is a slightly better, STAB, Hyper Beam, which is completely unusable competitively. The stats are odd too.

In general a lot of things this generation are slow, I like fast things.

Incineroar should've stayed on all four instead of becoming a pseudo-Fire/Fighting type, this was obviously GF absolutely fucking with us.
The Dark type isn't just thrown in to be funny-it's based on heel wrestlers, which is why is got the Dark type (the "evil" type) as opposed to Fighting (the "hero" type).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom