• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is the best Pikachu set?

Nailerd

Reaction score
This is technically about video games,I've been playing Pokemon Showdown lately and when I saw the many possible moves,items and customizable stats that Pikachu could have, I wondered what would be the best for it.

Depends what for, Pikachu and Raichu get the same moves so basically any Raichu set but with a Light Ball. I only play VGC but Fake Out and Nuzzle are good, Thunderbolt or Thunder if on rain teams. Volt Switch is on my Raichu-A for VGC17. The only moves Pikachu can't learn is the Psychic coverage moves from Raichu-A.

Again, this is mostly doubles stuff but I'm assuming a lot of it transfers over to singles as well.

Depends what for, Pikachu and Raichu get the same moves so basically any Raichu set but with a Light Ball. I only play VGC but Fake Out and Nuzzle are good, Thunderbolt or Thunder if on rain teams. Volt Switch is on my Raichu-A for VGC17. The only moves Pikachu can't learn is the Psychic coverage moves from Raichu-A.

Again, this is mostly doubles stuff but I'm assuming a lot of it transfers over to singles as well.

Thank you :),I'm looking for a Pikachu set that is more offensive physically and can outspeed many Pokemon,I'm not that much of a professional when it comes to competitive battling so thank you again.

Thank you :),I'm looking for a Pikachu set that is more offensive physically and can outspeed many Pokemon,I'm not that much of a professional when it comes to competitive battling so thank you again.

I was actually playing on my X game yesterday, where I modeled my character and profile after the NPC/player character from Kanto, Red. My Pikachu on there has a Focus Sash, a Jolly Nature, and the following moveset:
-Volt Tackle
-Fake Out
-Nuzzle
-Knock Off

It can accomplish quite a bit despite it's relatively short "life expectancy" in battle, usually leading a Fake Out and then if I get hit to 1HP by then I might just suicide bomb with Volt Tackle, but if Pikachu didn't take much damage, Knock Off or Nuzzle can deal with potential problems in different ways. You might want to run a Light Ball if you're truly trying to use Pikachu as an offensive Pokemon, mine is more of a support set to get rid of annoying items, flinch potential threats, and paralyze others.

I was actually playing on my X game yesterday, where I modeled my character and profile after the NPC/player character from Kanto, Red. My Pikachu on there has a Focus Sash, a Jolly Nature, and the following moveset:
-Volt Tackle
-Fake Out
-Nuzzle
-Knock Off

It can accomplish quite a bit despite it's relatively short "life expectancy" in battle, usually leading a Fake Out and then if I get hit to 1HP by then I might just suicide bomb with Volt Tackle, but if Pikachu didn't take much damage, Knock Off or Nuzzle can deal with potential problems in different ways. You might want to run a Light Ball if you're truly trying to use Pikachu as an offensive Pokemon, mine is more of a support set to get rid of annoying items, flinch potential threats, and paralyze others.

Well I've been using this Offensive Pikachu moveset lately and it somehow pulls my Pikachu into sweeping sometimes:
-Thunder Punch
-Nuzzle
-Brick Break
-Grass Knot

Thunder Punch is Pikachu's main stab attack move,great for dealing with most legendaries,a lot of them are flying types, as well as for Topapex,it's also my main stab move for those Pokemon who are neutrally affected by it.Nuzzle is to give Pikachu the edge in speed,since it gives paralysis to non-ground type Pokes which reduces their speed, and get a possible extra chance to attack,plus it also gives a tiny bit of damage which could help in fainting the Nuzzled Poke faster.Brick Break is Pikachu's counter to rock or ground types and has great coverage as well.Grass Knot is Pikachu's alternative to Thunder Punch,for Water types, and can also counter Rock and Ground types.I've noticed that this moveset isn't very effective to Dragon types as well and I wanna see if I can improve it.

Well I've been using this Offensive Pikachu moveset lately and it somehow pulls my Pikachu into sweeping sometimes:
-Thunder Punch
-Nuzzle
-Brick Break
-Grass Knot

Thunder Punch is Pikachu's main stab attack move,great for dealing with most legendaries,a lot of them are flying types, as well as for Topapex,it's also my main stab move for those Pokemon who are neutrally affected by it.Nuzzle is to give Pikachu the edge in speed,since it gives paralysis to non-ground type Pokes which reduces their speed, and get a possible extra chance to attack,plus it also gives a tiny bit of damage which could help in fainting the Nuzzled Poke faster.Brick Break is Pikachu's counter to rock or ground types and has great coverage as well.Grass Knot is Pikachu's alternative to Thunder Punch,for Water types, and can also counter Rock and Ground types.I've noticed that this moveset isn't very effective to Dragon types as well and I wanna see if I can improve it.

If you're trying to use Pikachu as an offensive Pokemon, you really should be using a special set with Thunderbolt, way more power than Thunder Punch, and then a Hidden Power Ice would work in tandem with Grass Knot to cover Ground-types.

I'd probably go with

-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (Ice or Fire)
-Nuzzle

If you're trying to use Pikachu as an offensive Pokemon, you really should be using a special set with Thunderbolt, way more power than Thunder Punch, and then a Hidden Power Ice would work in tandem with Grass Knot to cover Ground-types.

I'd probably go with

-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power (Ice or Fire)
-Nuzzle

Golly, the irony,thought physical attacks would be better,anyhow thanks again.

Golly, the irony,thought physical attacks would be better,anyhow thanks again.

Well the cool thing about Pikachu and by extension, Raichu, is that both his physical and special attack stats are usable, his physical is ever so slightly higher as a Pikachu, normal Raichu's are even, and Alolan Raichu is slightly higher special, but they're both usable in all cases, but if your physical stat is 55 on Pikachu and you use Thunder Punch for 75 power, or use your special attack stat of 50 for a Thunderbolt at 90 power, I'm sure you can guess which will be higher damage output. That being said, Volt Tackle is by far the best move Pikachu can learn with 120 power + recoil and it is physical, vs. Thunder for 110 power but low accuracy on the special side. The only reason my set has Volt Tackle is because that's meant to be used as a sort-of final nuke for when he's on 1 HP thanks to the sash, plus being physical helps Knock Off and Nuzzle do a bit more damage, but overall, if you intend to use the Pikachu to be offensive and not supporting like mine is, I'd say go special.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom