• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Females (Girls, & Women) cannot win Pokemon League?

ManUtd22

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In this thread, I want to change to change my threads by giving an important question that I always want to think about. We until now, didn't see any single girl, or woman that won Pokemon League at all anymore, and this thing is completely unfair for The Females, and Females Fans. I do love when boy, and man (Males) won, but I think that Females also should won at least one Pokemon League will be fine.

In the contest, a Man did won a contest such as the one who won the Hoenn Pokemon Grand Festival, but no females did won Pokemon League. Sure, you can say that there are two champions who are women such as Cynthia, and diancie, but we in reality didn't saw them won; because also Walace, and Mister Adan the Final Gym leader in Hoenn did one before; so I did this thread

I do want to see one won by my eyes; so I hope to see a lot Answers

I think the answer is unfortunately going to be plain and simple as chocolate cake.

Ash is the main character and will forever be the main character in the anime. And we'll always follow him no matter which female becomes the champion.

It's the sad truth but this is the anime and you know what the say?

Hakuna ma t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t television.

I think the answer is unfortunately going to be plain and simple as chocolate cake.

Ash is the main character and will forever be the main character in the anime. And we'll always follow him no matter which female becomes the champion.

It's the sad truth but this is the anime and you know what the say?

Hakuna ma t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t television.

Ok, thank you very much to meet you for first time, and glad to you are the first one who answered me here. Well, I didn't mean the girls, or women who traveled with ash; so I think Ash doesn't have any relationship with my question here; because Ash doesn't win doesn't have any realationship with Girls, Or women Not Win.

Hakuna ma t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t t television is in the timon

That bothers me too.

We have seen three Grand Festivals and one of them was won by a male Coordinator, Robert, but Ash has competed in twice as many League Conferences and none of them was won by a female Trainer. Not only that, we know for a fact that Wallace and Juan are Top Coordinators, but we haven't been introduced to female Trainers who have won a League in the past. It really makes you think.

And I agree with you that having Cynthia and Diantha as Pokémon Champions doesn't really count. They are game characters making anime appearances. If it were up for the anime writers, maybe the Sinnoh and Kalos League Champions would be male Trainers too.

I've complained about female representation a lot in the past few years, mostly due to how female characters were portrayed in the XY series. We gotta remember that Showcases were bad all around, for implying that girls should only concern themselves with things like baking cakes and dressing up, and for telling little boys that they should not be interested in those activities.

The writers should hurry up and catch up with us in 2017 because their mentality is not compatible with the world we're living in. The Pokémon anime has a female audience and they should be better represented. It's pointless to try and come up with excuses as to why we haven't seen a female Trainer winning a League yet. There's no good reason.

I mean, technically we don't know the exact identity of the Indigo League Champion when Ash competed, since it was never announced, but we know for sure that at least one female made it to at least the top four.

That said, we did get this silhouette of the "top three," which sort of implied that the winner was male.
Indigo_Conference_winner.png

Additionally, if I am remembering the show's canon correctly, and I may not be since it's been a while since I watch anything, the winners of the regional conferences are allowed to challenge the Elite Four and the Champions for that region, allowing for the possibility to become the Champion, themselves.
This being the case, it is fairly likely that, at the very least, both female Champions, if not all female Elite Four members, successfully won a regional conference at some point in time. Remember, we only see one representation of the regional conferences. These happen on a regular basis, either once a year or once every two years (can't remember off the top of my head). It is very possible that females have won these conferences several times, off screen. While this certainly doesn't excuse the fact that a female hasn't won a regional conference on screen, it does mean that females certainly aren't incapable of winning the conferences.

Before everything, thank you all for great time my friends. Thank you very much "Mikuri", "RetroPokeFan", and Maniacal Engineer"; for giving my your opinions

That bothers me too.

We have seen three Grand Festivals and one of them was won by a male Coordinator, Robert, but Ash has competed in twice as many League Conferences and none of them was won by a female Trainer. Not only that, we know for a fact that Wallace and Juan are Top Coordinators, but we haven't been introduced to female Trainers who have won a League in the past. It really makes you think.

And I agree with you that having Cynthia and Diantha as Pokémon Champions doesn't really count. They are game characters making anime appearances. If it were up for the anime writers, maybe the Sinnoh and Kalos League Champions would be male Trainers too.

I've complained about female representation a lot in the past few years, mostly due to how female characters were portrayed in the XY series. We gotta remember that Showcases were bad all around, for implying that girls should only concern themselves with things like baking cakes and dressing up, and for telling little boys that they should not be interested in those activities.

The writers should hurry up and catch up with us in 2017 because their mentality is not compatible with the world we're living in. The Pokémon anime has a female audience and they should be better represented. It's pointless to try and come up with excuses as to why we haven't seen a female Trainer winning a League yet. There's no good reason.

That's completely true, and Glad to talk with you and to meet you my friend.

I do know that Mister Adan the Heonn Final Gym Leader deserve to be GF pokemon top cordinitor after seeing his style when he did a festival for his fans at the time when the fireworks began, and Ash reached the city. It is so nice when I saw his styles at that time, and when he challenged Ash, but that's doesn't mean that We so it. The same thing with Walace, they are in the anime to purchasing them; because they are introduced in the Gyms, but didn't appered in the Anime. So, being the kalos pokemon league, or sinnoh League are also for purchasing them; because they are introduced in the Gyms; so They made them. The writers also showed us all of four of the Elite four Women; such as the two elite four of the Kanto, the Sinnoh Women Elite four, and the Psychic Elite Four Woman of Unova (Isshu).

In the other hand, did we see them win in reality? Did we saw a women, or girls (Any female) when they won? We didn't at all, and this what bothered me, and you also Mikuri. If the people will tell us that the Pokemon Fighting Style, or challenging each other is only for boys & men (Males), then the same thing for women, or girls (Any female) in the term of doing the things in beautful style, with dancing, and catching cutey pokemon. So why the Men did won a single GF such as Robert, however no one from females did won a single Pokemon League. At least one for us. For The Pokemon Female Fans, and they should be happy for at least one Pokemon League at least.

I do love this word: "The Pokémon anime has a female audience and they should be better represented. It's pointless to try and come up with excuses as to why we haven't seen a female Trainer winning a League yet. There's no good reason."

I mean, technically we don't know the exact identity of the Indigo League Champion when Ash competed, since it was never announced, but we know for sure that at least one female made it to at least the top four.

That said, we did get this silhouette of the "top three," which sort of implied that the winner was male.
Indigo_Conference_winner.png

Additionally, if I am remembering the show's canon correctly, and I may not be since it's been a while since I watch anything, the winners of the regional conferences are allowed to challenge the Elite Four and the Champions for that region, allowing for the possibility to become the Champion, themselves.
This being the case, it is fairly likely that, at the very least, both female Champions, if not all female Elite Four members, successfully won a regional conference at some point in time. Remember, we only see one representation of the regional conferences. These happen on a regular basis, either once a year or once every two years (can't remember off the top of my head). It is very possible that females have won these conferences several times, off screen. While this certainly doesn't excuse the fact that a female hasn't won a regional conference on screen, it does mean that females certainly aren't incapable of winning the conferences.

Firstly before everything. I do liked your opinion, and glad to meet you here with your opinion.

I did thought that one of people will give me about when the female did reached the top three. I do think that she is the one who used the Bulbasur for beating Ritche, and Ritche's Pikachu. But still, they didn't won any single pokemon league until now at all. Why that I don't know. Are they cannot win a single Pokemon League? Why they only reached the top Three? If that so, then why the Pokemon Men, or boys (Females) did reached to Pokemon Semi Finals, no to the Finals in all of Pokemon Cups, Leagues, Contests, and Grand Festivals if that 's the case so?

I don't think that they should be like that; because there should be some fair for Females fans who want to see a woman, or girl to win at least one pokemon league, a that what I really want. Ash win, or a single Female. Yep, I know that maybe they won a lot of times off screen because Pokemon League are happening yearly, and the same think with GF, but as you said Off Screen. However, in GF, we did saw a one win by our eyes not off screen, and this what I want aslo for Pokemon League. I want to see the Females Win in screen.

Glad to hear from this words: "While this certainly doesn't excuse the fact that a female hasn't won a regional conference on screen, it does mean that females certainly aren't incapable of winning the conferences". And Glad to meet you here, and thank you for answering

There is not even that many females that participate in the league. I only can remember Macey, Katie,Bianca and Astrid.

There is not even that many females that participate in the league. I only can remember Macey, Katie,Bianca and Astrid.

Nice to meet you my friend, and glad thinking my friend. Really we didn't see a lot of them. Even, the girls who aren't important are to much. There is Janiet fisher who challenged ash in Grass Land in the Kanto, there is also the one who beat Retchie, who lost to Ash in Heonn, but really not to much. Really, I hope that one of girls won

Perhaps it's just a coincidence. It's not like female trainers were banned from the League tournaments. It's just there's only winner in the League, and many fans are more invested in Ash rather than whomever ultimately wins in the tournament.

I remember how Astrid was speculated/hoped to be the Kalos League victor by some folks because they believe that Ash will never win, and thus they wanted a female trainer to be the winner this time around. If you were there at the Kalos League, you know that a majority of the fans did not bother giving her chance because they so heavily invested in Ash winning this time around. And for good reasons.

And the writers blew their chance with any female League victors after Kalos, simply because of one reason. Why would the audience care about the tournament anymore if Ash is not going to win? We're all left with a dilemma.

If Sun and Moon introduce the Alola League, they better give audiences a better reason to care after the huge hype of the Kalos League. Ash's overdue victory would be the only reason to look forward to a League, and that is harder to do after Kalos. If there's not a stronger indication of Ash actually winning (and being the best League battle yet) than Kalos, nobody will be watching. So they can make the victor be a female trainer this time, but that won't matter since Ash didn't win and the League would be a waste of time.

In the contest, a Man did won a contest such as the one who won the Hoenn Pokemon Grand Festival, but no females did won Pokemon League. Sure, you can say that there are two champions who are women such as Cynthia, and diancie, but we in reality didn't saw them won; because also Walace, and Mister Adan the Final Gym leader in Hoenn did one before; so I did this thread

I do think it would be nice to see a female win a league for a change, or place in the top 3, which doesn't ever get you any recognition in canon...When you say a man won the Hoenn Grand Festival though, you left out about how Solidad won the Kanto Grand Festival and Zoey won the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Females often dominate in the Grand Festivals, though unfortunately, they never do in the regional leagues. I think Katharine and Astrid are the only females in canon that we seen get pretty far, both coming in at the Top 8 of the Unova and Kalos League, though neither even got any spotlight. Astrid's battle with Ash was about 15 seconds max I think and Katharine was only shown to have advanced on the match up board. Katie in the Hoenn League got a full on screen battle with Ash, though she only made it to the Top 32. Macy in the Johto League was also knocked out before the full battles began.

This is what Flint, of the Sinnoh Elite 4, called the "Champion's League" I believe, and it was referenced again in Alder's debut episode by Trip.

It might be that the females tend to focus towards other aspects of Pokémon besides fighting, in particular, some of the more flashy things such as contests.

If I'm not mistaken, May & Dawn dabbled into contests, Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general, & Serena partook in those showcases (I forget what exactly she partook in, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

See the trend here?

It might be that the females tend to focus towards other aspects of Pokémon besides fighting, in particular, some of the more flashy things such as contests.

If I'm not mistaken, May & Dawn dabbled into contests, Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general, & Serena partook in those showcases (I forget what exactly she partook in, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

See the trend here?

And it is a shit trend not do I believe that's a good statement or valid to make. This isn't the 1950s. There should have been more women in the Pokemon Leagues and at least one female winner. The fact that this has been avoided is just not good.

Women are as capable as men. So the fact that there hasn't been more than a small handful of strong female trainers in the League and even a winner, is just ridiculous.

I have heard fans complaining about the anime supposedly pushing the idea that "guys do Gyms, girls do contests", and I can sympathise. In the anime, the majority of contest participants are female (and more often than not girly girls), while most of the male ones are also Trainers. The only guy who truly is into the spirit of contests, Harley, is portrayed as being very effeminate. However, while female participation in the Pokemon League is less common than it is in the games, there doesn't seem to be any stigma against girls challenging Gyms. Even the manga seems to stigmatise male contest participation by showing Norman bullying Ruby over his decision to partake in contests, while at the same time Sapphire doesn't get criticised for challenging Gyms. Only the games don't stigmatise male participation in contests since male players can enter contests and not get flak for it, plus many men are shown to be just as into the contests as women. I can see why fans complain about this - in the games, gender is largely a non-issue.

I have the feeling that male contest participants are expected to do battling as well, while female contest participants are expected to be more passionate about performance and accessories. In real life, people often have different expectations for male and female athletes that compete in the same sport. For example, with male figure skaters, the emphasis is on athleticism, while female figure skaters are often viewed as artists instead of athletes. Gay athletes, especially if they fit the stereotypes, often get the opposite gender's expectations. Take how people view Johnny Weir and compare it to how people view Evgeni Plushenko. The latter is straight and is viewed as a genuine athlete, while the former is gay - and fits many of the stereotypes to boot - and people dismiss him as a "ballerina". A similar comparison can be male to the flamboyant Harley compared to other male coordinators like Drew and Kenny.) I'm not trying to be homophobic when I say this, I'm saying it because it's an unfair standard that effeminate men (gay or straight).

Perhaps it's just a coincidence. It's not like female trainers were banned from the League tournaments. It's just there's only winner in the League, and many fans are more invested in Ash rather than whomever ultimately wins in the tournament.

I remember how Astrid was speculated/hoped to be the Kalos League victor by some folks because they believe that Ash will never win, and thus they wanted a female trainer to be the winner this time around. If you were there at the Kalos League, you know that a majority of the fans did not bother giving her chance because they so heavily invested in Ash winning this time around. And for good reasons.

And the writers blew their chance with any female League victors after Kalos, simply because of one reason. Why would the audience care about the tournament anymore if Ash is not going to win? We're all left with a dilemma.

If Sun and Moon introduce the Alola League, they better give audiences a better reason to care after the huge hype of the Kalos League. Ash's overdue victory would be the only reason to look forward to a League, and that is harder to do after Kalos. If there's not a stronger indication of Ash actually winning (and being the best League battle yet) than Kalos, nobody will be watching. So they can make the victor be a female trainer this time, but that won't matter since Ash didn't win and the League would be a waste of time.

Glad to meet you here my friend, and nice to meet you. Really glad to meet you for first time, and really thank you for posting here.

I do agree with you in some points, which are really great points, but I also want to provides some reason if why I agree with you in these points. But, I also don't agree for one point, and I will give you my think f why I don't agree in this point.

Firstly, I should tell you of these points that I am agreeing with you:-

1. Well, being coincidence is really true if you ask me about the Kanto Pokemon League, which is really an coincidence if you ask me; because they didn't want the one who beat Ritchie to win; so they put anyone. However, the thing that I don't agree with you here is that they made an official rival who they want to win in all of Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. I mean that the one who beat ash in Johto was "Harrison (Hazuki)" who lost to the boy who won the Pokemon League, which means that it is a purpose here. And, they built a new male rival in heonn who is Tyson (Tetsuya), the one who won the entire Heonn Pokemon League; so it is not a coincidence here also. And the same thing for Sinnoh; because they made a really great rival who got Latios, and Darkrai, I meant Tobias (Takuto). He really a strong, but they made it that the one who won is a man. The same thing with the eevee player in Unova. I hated the Alan the one won who win Pokemon Kalos Leauge. Summary, I meant that I do agree with you in term of confidence in the Kanto, but in the others, then I do not think so; because they made it clear that who will win

2. Yup, I completely think that you are right when you said about Ash won Pokemon League; because I do think that it is a time for him to win, however if you ask me, if Ash didn't win, then it better to make one female win, which means Ash win, or Female win. It is a true that we all still see the Pokemon League; because we are waiting ash.

3. I did love Astrid, she was so cute, and her dress, and still was so beautiful; so I wanted her as winner of Pokemon Leauge, but I also hoped that all of tierno, and trover to do very well such as shota.

4. I do liked this word from you: "Why would the audience care about the tournament anymore if Ash is not going to win?", but I do will hope that one female one. I will only care if Ash One, or girl.

And thank you very much for meeting you in one of my threads, and hope to meet you again my friend with more posting, and threads.

I do think it would be nice to see a female win a league for a change, or place in the top 3, which doesn't ever get you any recognition in canon...When you say a man won the Hoenn Grand Festival though, you left out about how Solidad won the Kanto Grand Festival and Zoey won the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Females often dominate in the Grand Festivals, though unfortunately, they never do in the regional leagues. I think Katharine and Astrid are the only females in canon that we seen get pretty far, both coming in at the Top 8 of the Unova and Kalos League, though neither even got any spotlight. Astrid's battle with Ash was about 15 seconds max I think and Katharine was only shown to have advanced on the match up board. Katie in the Hoenn League got a full on screen battle with Ash, though she only made it to the Top 32. Macy in the Johto League was also knocked out before the full battles began.

This is what Flint, of the Sinnoh Elite 4, called the "Champion's League" I believe, and it was referenced again in Alder's debut episode by Trip.

Firstly, I am so glad to meet you here, and hope that you come again, and again.

About winning the league, as you said if a male did won a single Grand Festival then we should see a one female one at least one. The only on who reached top 3 was only the girl who beat Ritchie, and that's all. I didn't like at also win they let Astrid lost so quickly in Kalos with only playing for 15 seconds with ash. I really didn't like at all. Also, I don't think that Alan's Charizard is unbeatable, and I do think that it can lost easily. I did like Katharine, but I don't like here cathorita. about katie, here battle with ash was better that ash to marisson. And Macy was so cute because she loved ash; so I am not happy that she goes out of pokemon jhoto before the full battles began.

One thing that bothered me so much is that casey didn't reached to Pokemon Jhoto.

However, thank you very much for taking a time for only to be here, and to answer me.

See the trend here?

Firstly, thank you very much for answering, but let me tell you that you should not write about Iris; and that's simply because she should be not in the entire anime. She doesn't want to travel if you as me; so I don't agree you in this thing: "Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general".

But, about being cutey, dancing, singing, and doing things in Beauty things is more for girls such As "Dawn & May" did choose Pokemon Contests, "Zoey", "Serena", "Mellie", "Shana", and "Aria (Elle)".

And it is a shit trend not do I believe that's a good statement or valid to make. This isn't the 1950s. There should have been more women in the Pokemon Leagues and at least one female winner. The fact that this has been avoided is just not good.

Women are as capable as men. So the fact that there hasn't been more than a small handful of strong female trainers in the League and even a winner, is just ridiculous.

Firstly, nice to meet you here, and glad to see your opinion, and posting here. I do like that, and really happy for that.

About seeing one female win, yes it is anime show; so I do believe that they should let them win; because as you said This isn't the 1950s. Furthermore, this isn't a football which is more for boys. I do agree that the girls prefer the beauty things, but there are some of Girls who want to be gyms leaders; so they are some girls who want to be a winner of Pokemon Leauge; so I do think that they should let them win. I want Ash, or one female to win.

And i do like this from you: "Women are as capable as men. So the fact that there hasn't been more than a small handful of strong female trainers in the League and even a winner, is just ridiculous."

I have heard fans complaining about the anime supposedly pushing the idea that "guys do Gyms, girls do contests", and I can sympathise. In the anime, the majority of contest participants are female (and more often than not girly girls), while most of the male ones are also Trainers. The only guy who truly is into the spirit of contests, Harley, is portrayed as being very effeminate. However, while female participation in the Pokemon League is less common than it is in the games, there doesn't seem to be any stigma against girls challenging Gyms. Even the manga seems to stigmatise male contest participation by showing Norman bullying Ruby over his decision to partake in contests, while at the same time Sapphire doesn't get criticised for challenging Gyms. Only the games don't stigmatise male participation in contests since male players can enter contests and not get flak for it, plus many men are shown to be just as into the contests as women. I can see why fans complain about this - in the games, gender is largely a non-issue.

I have the feeling that male contest participants are expected to do battling as well, while female contest participants are expected to be more passionate about performance and accessories. In real life, people often have different expectations for male and female athletes that compete in the same sport. For example, with male figure skaters, the emphasis is on athleticism, while female figure skaters are often viewed as artists instead of athletes. Gay athletes, especially if they fit the stereotypes, often get the opposite gender's expectations. Take how people view Johnny Weir and compare it to how people view Evgeni Plushenko. The latter is straight and is viewed as a genuine athlete, while the former is gay - and fits many of the stereotypes to boot - and people dismiss him as a "ballerina". A similar comparison can be male to the flamboyant Harley compared to other male coordinators like Drew and Kenny.) I'm not trying to be homophobic when I say this, I'm saying it because it's an unfair standard that effeminate men (gay or straight).

Well, firstly glad to meet you my friend, and nice that you answered me in this thread.

I didn't mean by this thread that I am with female, no i just want to see some fairs between Females and Males; Because as I said, there is one male who win Pokemon Grand Festival, but there is no girl who one Pokemon League. Being a gym leaders, being a contests, or Pokemon Leauge are for anyone People. Even, Brock, and paul's Brother choosing something which is more for females. I think that Breeding is more for Females, but why do them Like it. Because they see that there lifes are involve for it.

In the real life, the football is for males, but females also doing it. We all think that the football is something not for females, but no the life is changed, and there are a lot of girl teams for football. the same thing with Pokemon League.

----------------------------------
And thank you all for being here, and hope to see you all again

When you say a man won the Hoenn Grand Festival though, you left out about how Solidad won the Kanto Grand Festival and Zoey won the Sinnoh Grand Festival. Females often dominate in the Grand Festivals, though unfortunately, they never do in the regional leagues.

We got three Grand Festivals, that's an odd number. The writers wanted to show that both boys and girls are able to become Top Coordinators, so the winners would be either two males and one female, or two females and one male. There's nothing wrong with that. Wrong is having six Pokémon League Conferences and zero female winning Trainers.

Also, this thing about females dominating in the Grand Festivals isn't true. People got that impression, but it's not what the writers showed us. Pokémon Contests were shown to appeal to both boys and girls equally. There was nothing in-universe saying that they were a competition that attracted more girls or anything like that. In fact, if you look at the results of the Performance Stage of the Sinnoh Grand Festival, you'll see that the number of male and female Coordinators is exactly the same, and that's true for the majority of Pokémon Contests.

You can say that there are more girls collecting Contest Ribbons than collecting Gym Badges, but the number of male and female Coordinators is more or less the same. In the Hoenn Grand Festival, May was the only female Coordinator we knew, the other contestants were Drew, Harley, Robert, and Anthony. Then, in the Kanto Grand Festival, we got May and Solidad representing the girls, and Drew and Harley representing the boys. Lastly in the Sinnoh Grand Festival, we got four girls (Dawn, Zoey, Ursula, and Jessilina) and two boys (Nando and Kenny). In the end, there isn't a huge difference here.

See the trend here?

That's not a trend. It's just that Ash can't share his goal with one of his companions. The writers have avoided that. They don't want to show us two main characters facing off against the same Gym Leaders, doing the same things at the same time. Even in the Sun & Moon series, when we know that Kiawe has cleared the Akala Island trials in the past, he hasn't lifted a finger to go and get other Z-Crystals since Ash arrived in Alola.

Even if you ignore what I just said, that trend is still nonexistent. Among Ash's female companions we have Misty and Iris who wanted to specialize in a certain type, while May, Dawn, and Serena pursued a career that involves Pokémon performances. Five is an odd number, three girls are into performing and two girls are into mastering types. It's fine!

Maybe you could say that a trend exists if from the Advanced Generation series onward we had been getting Coordinators/Performers (and again, that's ignoring what I said earlier about Ash not sharing his goal), but we got Iris in between Dawn and Serena, and now we have three girls in the main cast and none of them has said anything about performing (even though I'd like to see Lana and Popplio performing in, I don't know, a Pokémon Circus).

That's wrong. Like I said in my response to A-Pure-Cat, you feeling that there are more girls doing Contests is the result of an impression you got, but it's a wrong one. May had no recurring female rivals during her run, and many of the one-time Coordinators she faced in Contests were male. Timmy Grimm, Joshua, Jeremy, and even Brock! There could be a disparity here considering that her rivals (Drew and Harley) were male, but the writers made the number of male and female Coordinators more or less the same.

I won't discuss what one considers a girly girl, but you should really check your facts before saying that most of the male Coordinators were also Trainers. The only character in the anime we saw going after both Ribbons and Badges was Nando. That gives you the grand total of one male Coordinator who is also a Trainer. Maybe you're counting Wallace and Juan who were Gym Leaders at some point, but then again we have Fantina and Marina from The Legend of Thunder!.

I really don't know why you're saying that Harley is the only one truly into the spirit of Contests. Drew was as passionate about Contests as Harley was, if not more. Drew had respect for the competition, never cheated, and was always training hard and focused on his goal of becoming a Top Coordinator. He was a true Coordinator. And then you have Kenny, and Kyle from the Wallace Cup who crushed Ash after analyzing his previous battles, and Jeremy who confronted his wife and son because he was serious about competing in Contests. And many other male characters who have been shown over the course of the anime. Boys loved Contests as much as girls did.

And I have question, was it ever said in the Pokémon Adventures manga that Norman "bullied" Ruby because he's a boy into Contests? Or that's what you inferred from it? I've read some parts of the Ruby & Sapphire chapter and I don't remember reading that, but I could be wrong. I know the authors more or less tried to make it a "gay coming out" storyline, with Ruby wanting to compete in Contests and his father initially being against it but eventually accepting reality and supporting his son, but did they ever explain why Norman was against Ruby participating in Contests? From what I can tell, Ruby has a great talent for Pokémon battles, and his father is a Gym Leader. Maybe Norman wanted Ruby to follow in his footsteps, simple as that. Sapphire made fun of the Contest environment as a whole, she laughed at the competition, I don't remember she ever saying that Ruby should not be interested in Contests because he's a boy. I don't remember Norman saying that either.

Last edited:
I guess it's just coincidence? I agree that a girl winning a league sounds fantastic... but she still would have received a lot of hate just as much as Tobias, Virgil, and Alain did.

Heck, even if Alain were a female character everyone would still hate Female!Alain for "being OP" and making Ash lose anyways. There's executive meddling involved in those leagues (hinted by the anime staff's tweet after the Kalos League finals), bringing in characters just for the sake of making a league rival for Ash and taking the trophy for themselves.

Even if they did introduce a female character winning the league in the future, all I can see is "They made Ash lose again?! I'm so salty!" reactions, not "Wow, kudos to the first female league winner!" reactions.

The point is, people don't really care much for who takes the trophy unless its Ash.

Well, glad to see you again my friend in my thread, and really great information, and opinion from you. You did provide a lot of facts; and for that, I should give you my presents also.

We got three Grand Festivals, that's an odd number. The writers wanted to show that both boys and girls are able to become Top Coordinators, so the winners would be either two males and one female, or two females and one male. There's nothing wrong with that. Wrong is having six Pokémon League Conferences and zero female winning Trainers.

Also, this thing about females dominating in the Grand Festivals isn't true. People got that impression, but it's not what the writers showed us. Pokémon Contests were shown to appeal to both boys and girls equally. There was nothing in-universe saying that they were a competition that attracted more girls or anything like that. In fact, if you look at the results of the Performance Stage of the Sinnoh Grand Festival, you'll see that the number of male and female Coordinators is exactly the same, and that's true for the majority of Pokémon Contests.

You can say that there are more girls collecting Contest Ribbons than collecting Gym Badges, but the number of male and female Coordinators is more or less the same. In the Hoenn Grand Festival, May was the only female Coordinator we knew, the other contestants were Drew, Harley, Robert, and Anthony. Then, in the Kanto Grand Festival, we got May and Solidad representing the girls, and Drew and Harley representing the boys. Lastly in the Sinnoh Grand Festival, we got four girls (Dawn, Zoey, Ursula, and Jessilina) and two boys (Nando and Kenny). In the end, there isn't a huge difference here.

In the beginning, I do agree 100 percentage with what did you write, and that back to some reasons. In the beginning, it is a fact that there are 3 Grand festivals. Even, if a women, and girls (Females) did win a grand festivals, but one of them went to a male's hand. A ribbon cup isn't only been under the hand of women, and girls (Females). It is not a Monopoly for Females. Being won by a one man, I meant by one male is good thinking from the writers; to show that the contests, and grand festival are a good competitions that both coordinators (Males & Females) are working very in it. Having a two females that win a pokemon grand festivals from three means that boys and men still can win then; so where is that in Pokemon Leauge? Why there are six Pokemon League without one single females (Women, or Girls) that one them? It is so unbelievable, & unfair from writers. I am so agree with you here: "Wrong is having six Pokémon League Conferences and zero female winning Trainers".

And secondly, I am so glad that you provide the picture for the competitors who complete to the second round when the Dawn's Past friend didn't complete to the second round. I really like this point from you, I meant this picture: "In fact, if you look at the results of the Performance Stage of the Sinnoh Grand Festival". It is really a good idea from you my friend. We can see that there a lot of beautiful girls, with a beautiful boys, and the were so equal fairly; so you did gave us an important information that shows that there are no relationship between women, girls (females), and between men, boys (males). I do think that they should do that also in the Pokemon League. They showed us that there is no a real relationship between Contests, Ribbons, grand festivals and between girls. It is somethings that for all of Boys, and girls, children, men, and women; so why that they don't do the same thing in Pokemon League.

And, I do think that there are a lot of girls, and boys who competed in Pokemon contests, and also who entered the Grand festivals also. It is true that multi females were challenged may in the contests, but the problem that they didn't be in Pokemon Grand Festivals. They only sent massege to motivate May. On the other hand, we know all o harley, robert, shuu (drew), and there is a new one who they did in Pokemon Heonn festivals. The same thing in Pokemon kanto, but they put a new girl who won Pokemon Grand festival. The more number of Girls were in Sinnoh. But if you calculate the entire girls then we will see is that it is nearby to be equally fair

So thank you very much for all these information.

That's not a trend. It's just that Ash can't share his goal with one of his companions. The writers have avoided that. They don't want to show us two main characters facing off against the same Gym Leaders, doing the same things at the same time. Even in the Sun & Moon series, when we know that Kiawe has cleared the Akala Island trials in the past, he hasn't lifted a finger to go and get other Z-Crystals since Ash arrived in Alola.

Even if you ignore what I just said, that trend is still nonexistent. Among Ash's female companions we have Misty and Iris who wanted to specialize in a certain type, while May, Dawn, and Serena pursued a career that involves Pokémon performances. Five is an odd number, three girls are into performing and two girls are into mastering types. It's fine!

Maybe you could say that a trend exists if from the Advanced Generation series onward we had been getting Coordinators/Performers (and again, that's ignoring what I said earlier about Ash not sharing his goal), but we got Iris in between Dawn and Serena, and now we have three girls in the main cast and none of them has said anything about performing (even though I'd like to see Lana and Popplio performing in, I don't know, a Pokémon Circus).

And after the first answer, now here I will give you my second answer my friend. I do agree with you in the thing about sharing the same goal between Ash, and his companions. I also hoped that one day a person will traveled with ash, and will share the same goal. I did want that, and I am writing a story that include all of hopes in Pokemon, and one hope is this: "Having a person who travel with ash, and have the same goal.

About, misty it been clearly that she only cared about Water Type, such as any gym leader; so it is a clearly that she want to be an pokemon water type master. About all of brock, tracey and cilan, I can see that they are mostly love to a relationship between the trainer, and pokemons. A breeder is more for how the person can do relationship with his pokemon by breeding, eating, drinking, and so on. Cilan's goal is for seeing how much the person, and pokemon are closed to each other. and washer is nearby to breeding, and assistants to any proffesors. about iris, about, then simply she should be not in the entire anime. She doesn't want to travel if you as me; so I don't agree you in this thing: "Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general". Serena is more similar to contest, and now she will be a pokemon coordinatior in hoenn so she, dawn, and may are totally same, even if serena was kalos queen in the beginning but still it is an performance, and showcases.

In sun and moon, I do like the ideas of all of lana (serien), mau, and lillie, they have there one ideas for learning pokemons.

That's wrong. Like I said in my response to A-Pure-Cat, you feeling that there are more girls doing Contests is the result of an impression you got, but it's a wrong one. May had no recurring female rivals during her run, and many of the one-time Coordinators she faced in Contests were male. Timmy Grimm, Joshua, Jeremy, and even Brock! There could be a disparity here considering that her rivals (Drew and Harley) were male, but the writers made the number of male and female Coordinators more or less the same.

I won't discuss what one considers a girly girl, but you should really check your facts before saying that most of the male Coordinators were also Trainers. The only character in the anime we saw going after both Ribbons and Badges was Nando. That gives you the grand total of one male Coordinator who is also a Trainer. Maybe you're counting Wallace and Juan who were Gym Leaders at some point, but then again we have Fantina and Marina from The Legend of Thunder!.

I really don't know why you're saying that Harley is the only one truly into the spirit of Contests. Drew was as passionate about Contests as Harley was, if not more. Drew had respect for the competition, never cheated, and was always training hard and focused on his goal of becoming a Top Coordinator. He was a true Coordinator. And then you have Kenny, and Kyle from the Wallace Cup who crushed Ash after analyzing his previous battles, and Jeremy who confronted his wife and son because he was serious about competing in Contests. And many other male characters who have been shown over the course of the anime. Boys loved Contests as much as girls did.

And I have question, was it ever said in the Pokémon Adventures manga that Norman "bullied" Ruby because he's a boy into Contests? Or that's what you inferred from it? I've read some parts of the Ruby & Sapphire chapter and I don't remember reading that, but I could be wrong. I know the authors more or less tried to make it a "gay coming out" storyline, with Ruby wanting to compete in Contests and his father initially being against it but eventually accepting reality and supporting his son, but did they ever explain why Norman was against Ruby participating in Contests? From what I can tell, Ruby has a great talent for Pokémon battles, and his father is a Gym Leader. Maybe Norman wanted Ruby to follow in his footsteps, simple as that. Sapphire made fun of the Contest environment as a whole, she laughed at the competition, I don't remember she ever saying that Ruby should not be interested in Contests because he's a boy. I don't remember Norman saying that either.

I am completely happy with what you said, and it is so true what did you present here. In the beginning, I do write that there are a lot of girls women who challenged may, but in the other hand, there also a lot of boy, men who are challenged here. I do love all of Timmy Grimm, Jeremy, and even Brock!. There three where so good, and have a pure heart; so I do love them; so as you said: "the writers made the number of male and female Coordinators more or less the same.". I did hope that all of dawn, and ash are doing both contest, and pokemon at the same time such as nando. I do will like this idea. but still it is the same thing to me if they do, or didn't. I do like the contests in sinnoh.

About looking for training, and loving contest, that's true that also drew liked it, and all the time he is doing his training, and trying to make his pokemons more strong, even if I am not a fan of drew, and hoped that ash beat him, but that shows that a lot of men, women, boys, and girls were so much doing there training because they trully love to be top coordinatior.

And really really really think you very much my friend for being here in my thread.

I guess it's just coincidence? I agree that a girl winning a league sounds fantastic... but she still would have received a lot of hate just as much as Tobias, Virgil, and Alain did.

Heck, even if Alain were a female character everyone would still hate Female!Alain for "being OP" and making Ash lose anyways. There's executive meddling involved in those leagues (hinted by the anime staff's tweet after the Kalos League finals), bringing in characters just for the sake of making a league rival for Ash and taking the trophy for themselves.

Even if they did introduce a female character winning the league in the future, all I can see is "They made Ash lose again?! I'm so salty!" reactions, not "Wow, kudos to the first female league winner!" reactions.

The point is, people don't really care much for who takes the trophy unless its Ash.

well, if you ask me friend, then being coincidence is really true if you ask me about the Kanto Pokemon League, which is really an coincidence if you ask me; because they didn't want the one who beat Ritchie to win; so they put anyone. However, the thing that I don't agree with you here is that they made an official rival who they want to win in all of Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. I mean that the one who beat ash in Johto was "Harrison (Hazuki)" who lost to the boy who won the Pokemon League, which means that it is a purpose here. And, they built a new male rival in heonn who is Tyson (Tetsuya), the one who won the entire Heonn Pokemon League; so it is not a coincidence here also. And the same thing for Sinnoh; because they made a really great rival who got Latios, and Darkrai, I meant Tobias (Takuto). He really a strong, but they made it that the one who won is a man. The same thing with the eevee player in Unova. I hated the Alan the one won who win Pokemon Kalos Leauge. Summary, I meant that I do agree with you in term of confidence in the Kanto, but in the others, then I do not think so; because they made it clear that who will win

And, yes I do want ash to win, but in my opinion, if ash didn't win then a female. I completely think that you are right when you said about Ash won Pokemon League; because I do think that it is a time for him to win, however if you ask me, if Ash didn't win, then it better to make one female win, which means Ash win, or Female win. It is a true that we all still see the Pokemon League; because we are waiting ash.

--------------
and thank you all for answering me

It's a fascinating subject, and female representation in the pokemon anime in general would be a interesting topic to dissect. Though it seems that female placement is fairly high if the demographics are skewed to a more male-dominated demographic (in general, it seems in most Leagues, they seem to score in the Top 8 and in the Indigo League, we have that female competitor in the Top 3). That is assuming that though there are more males than females in the competing pools of the Leagues, which I'm not bothered to fully verify at this point in time.

However, the time dedicated to matches against female competitors is quite low in general - in some Leagues, it is a matter of a few seconds and it is in the earlier rounds. In the Adavnced Generation, you have a good six-versus-six match between Ash and Katie, who was, if I recall correctly, billed as a competent trainer. As for XY, Ash VS Astrid was a match criticised by some users on this site as being nauseatingly quick. The Indigo League seems to have a better spotlight on female competitors, as we see a female competitor, Assunta, defeat Ritchie and there is an earlier match between Ash and another female competitor. In the Silver Conference, we're shown the tail-end of Macy's three-versus-three match against Jackson, in which she wins. Diamond and Pearl has the last second of Ash defeating a female competitor, and a scoreboard showing Paul defeating a female competitor in one of the earlier rounds. Best Wishes is the only time Ash does not battle a female competitor, but we are treated to a three-versus-three match of Kotetsu VS Bel.

It could be argued that the low amount of time afforded to these matches against females, and the fact that seem to show these matches in the earlier rounds is not due to their gender per se, but instead their relevance to plot. Indeed, many CoTDs have very quick matches that occur in the earlier rounds, which would make sense - the audience wants to see the fierce culmination between the rivalries that have built up between characters we have seen before and care about. In this case, the problem may be that the anime does not seem to make female trainers as relevant to plot as male trainers. Ash Ketchum hasn't ever really had a main female rival - the writers kind of dropped the ball on Macy, and Bel never was portrayed as a rival to him either (if she was, she was fighting in a very over-crowded field). Someday, I hope the writers will have a female as his main rival.

However - some of the League victors are irrelevant CoTDs (though in recent years, they tend to be league rivals with more of a build up behind them), in fact the one in Kanto is just shown as a silhouette of a male trainer. So, it's true - what is stopping them exactly?

Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general,

I would like to point out that Iris physically fought with her Drilbur before she was its trainer - and when they were first partners, they had never lost a match until Drayden defeated them. They also had undergone gruelling training in the mountains before the Dragon Village's annual tournament.

Last edited:
Tell it to poor Nanako and Bel. They didn't even let a female rival to challenge Satoshi. It's no wonder there is no female league winners, because they normally defeat Satoshi.

It's a fascinating subject, and female representation in the pokemon anime in general would be a interesting topic to dissect. Though it seems that female placement is fairly high if the demographics are skewed to a more male-dominated demographic (in general, it seems in most Leagues, they seem to score in the Top 8 and in the Indigo League, we have that female competitor in the Top 3). That is assuming that though there are more males than females in the competing pools of the Leagues, which I'm not bothered to fully verify at this point in time.

However, the time dedicated to matches against female competitors is quite low in general - in some Leagues, it is a matter of a few seconds and it is in the earlier rounds. In the Adavnced Generation, you have a good six-versus-six match between Ash and Katie, who was, if I recall correctly, billed as a competent trainer. As for XY, Ash VS Astrid was a match criticised by some users on this site as being nauseatingly quick. The Indigo League seems to have a better spotlight on female competitors, as we see a female competitor, Assunta, defeat Ritchie and there is an earlier match between Ash and another female competitor. In the Silver Conference, we're shown the tail-end of Macy's three-versus-three match against Jackson, in which she wins.

It could be argued that the low amount of time afforded to these matches against females, and the fact that seem to show these matches in the earlier rounds is not due to their gender per se, but instead their relevance to plot. Indeed, many CoTDs have very quick matches that occur in the earlier rounds, which would make sense - the audience wants to see the fierce culmination between the rivalries that have built up between characters we have seen before and care about. In this case, the problem may be that the anime does not seem to make female trainers as relevant to plot as male trainers. Ash Ketchum hasn't ever really had a main female rival - the writers kind of dropped the ball on Macy, and Bel never was portrayed as a rival to him either (if she was, she was fighting in a very over-crowded field). Someday, I hope the writers will have a female as his main rival.

However - some of the League victors are irrelevant CoTDs (though in recent years, they tend to be league rivals with more of a build up behind them), in fact the one in Kanto is just shown as a silhouette of a male trainer. So, it's true - what is stopping them exactly?

Well, in the term of Ash, and his rivals, then I didn't like to much the relationship between Ash, Tyson, morrison, and "Harrison (Hazuki)". I don't like all of these three, and don't think that they are a strong opponents. I also hate all of cameron, and trip. Cameron must not be competed. What really bothered me that he is the most stupid person, and really he is not funny at all, but I really hate the moment when Joy allowed him to compete even if was late so much from registration. this the most thing that bothered me. I hate Trip to death. He, and cameron were the worst rivals, and I don't think that Alan was that much strong. Maybe, he was strong, but to me, then he isn't unbeatable. I don't like all of Paul, and gary but paul was better than gary; so I am not with Ash rivals. I only love Tierno, Trover, Shota, Tobias and Ritchie from his rivals who challenged him in Pokemon League.

I do want to see a girl female. I do like all of Astrid, Macy, Casey, the one who beat ritchie, the one who lost to ash in heonn. Bel was so awesome, but until now, no one single girl from them are really built as real rival; so why that? it is really frustrating. Maybe Harisson are much better than marrison, and tyson, but still, I don't think that he was so awesome. I do still believe that he can lose. About alan, I don't believe that his mega charizard is unbelievable, and I do think that it can be lose, but that doesn't men that it weak, but I do believe that it is not unbeatable also. His charizard was fairly strong if you ask; because in my opinion, then I do think that if the writers were fair enough, then the Mega Charizard will also lose a lot of matches, not only win. The same thing wit Paul, I cannot imagine that only one lose to his brother made him unbeatable, it is so ridiculous, really ridiculous. About Cameron, I cannot imagine that he is a one who become a pokemon trainer. I do remember someone wrote this: "In the real life, then this one will be die".

So, do want to see a main female rival, and I do like this from you: "Someday, I hope the writers will have a female as his main rival. "

I would like to point out that Iris physically fought with her Drilbur before she was its trainer - and when they were first partners, they had never lost a match until Drayden defeated them. They also had undergone gruelling training in the mountains before the Dragon Village's annual tournament.

About Iris, she should be not in the entire anime. She doesn't want to travel if you as me; so I don't agree you in this thing: "Iris leaning towards dragon taming & living in harmony with them in general".

And thank you for meeting here

Tell it to poor Nanako and Bel. They didn't even let a female rival to challenge Satoshi. It's no wonder there is no female league winners, because they normally defeat Satoshi.

Hi my friend martianmister, and nice new avatar. Glad to meet you here in my thread; so I should answer you.

Well, That's a frustrating really; because Nanako and Bel. They didn't even let a female rival to challenge Satoshi. I do love all of these Two; so it is really frustrating

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom