• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Okay... A Discussion starter!
I dug up in the rumours and leaks thread's first post, and the "Gummy Leaks" there included details for Gen VIII. These are as follows
"

Gen 8:
  • Will be set in Australia and will be on the new gen console/handheld.
  • It will have added Dream themes, with Aboriginal’s dreamland. You will be able to go to the dreamland at the end of the story. You will get to see entirely new pokemon-like creatures that you can catch. It will get a separate dex, as a "app" in the dex called Dreamdex.
  • There will be 2 sets of starters, based on the version you pick. Western Zodiac starters: Bull, Chimera and Ram. Eastern Zodiac Starters: Horse, Rabbit and Dragon.
  • The legends are based on compass directions: North, South, West and East.
  • Will have two box legendaries, based on West and East.
  • The story focuses on the clash between the East and West cultures. There are two teams that represents the both sides with them using the opposite legends to try improve themselves."
What do you think of this leak? It wasn't very creditable, but predicted Toucannon. Do you like this idea?
This has been proven fake. We've known that this was fake ever since the middle stage starter evos were revealed.

Okay... A Discussion starter!
I dug up in the rumours and leaks thread's first post, and the "Gummy Leaks" there included details for Gen VIII. These are as follows
"

Gen 8:
  • Will be set in Australia and will be on the new gen console/handheld.
  • It will have added Dream themes, with Aboriginal’s dreamland. You will be able to go to the dreamland at the end of the story. You will get to see entirely new pokemon-like creatures that you can catch. It will get a separate dex, as a "app" in the dex called Dreamdex.
  • There will be 2 sets of starters, based on the version you pick. Western Zodiac starters: Bull, Chimera and Ram. Eastern Zodiac Starters: Horse, Rabbit and Dragon.
  • The legends are based on compass directions: North, South, West and East.
  • Will have two box legendaries, based on West and East.
  • The story focuses on the clash between the East and West cultures. There are two teams that represents the both sides with them using the opposite legends to try improve themselves."
What do you think of this leak? It wasn't very creditable, but predicted Toucannon. Do you like this idea?

We already have/had a 'dreamland' area in Gen 5, with the 'dream world'. If something related to dreams returns, it's likely going to be in reference to this somehow. Also the 'dream world' had normal Pokemon, plus the UBs went in this same dex as all the other Alolan Pokemon so even if we do get new 'dream world' Pokemon, they will still go in the same pokedex.
More of a personal opinion than anything but having legendaries based off compass directions sounds kind of silly, plus we already have Suicune who related to the 'North wind'.

The idea of 'West' and 'East' cultures clashing seems to be too much trouble than it's worth considering politics, either way someone will point out a 'bias' between one or the other, even if it's small, which will cause arguments and won't be good for business or image.

I always thought they should break the mold a bit and do a region based on a time period or genre instead of a geographic region. Like a steampunk or wild west region, or a region based on the Greco-Roman world or feudal Japan, or a complete fantasy region like Atlantis. You see elements of this in previous games, with places like Ecruteak City or the Paniola Ranch, but I think it would be fun to see it fully fleshed out. And it could serve them to do something new, without trying to figure out how it fits in the timeline. Like way in the future, steampunk or cyberpunk, or way in the past. It allows GF to introduce new game mechanics, too. Just my $o.02.
I think this is a great idea, and would give more personality to.the regions
Atlantis motive can be implemented on a greek region, or south american, depending on the take.

Ancient greco-roman for sure can have its base on a possible region based on greece or italy

Steampunk: Uk I can see Uk having a victorian or medieval take as well. Also other european countries can fit the medieval sterotype.

Old weast: A region based on Texas, Mexico, or surroudings

If we're doing time regions, why not a future era? Maybe have it the generation has a past game and a future game as the pair, and in each you travel between different cultural regions similar to how you travel between islands in Sun and Moon.

If we're doing time regions, why not a future era? Maybe have it the generation has a past game and a future game as the pair, and in each you travel between different cultural regions similar to how you travel between islands in Sun and Moon.
We already have two time travelling Pokemon, Celebi and Dialga. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky had itself a heavy focus on time travel, perhaps something similar could be a small side-quest/post-game event in the Gen 4 remakes, it's a stretch but it would work nicely.

Plus the RL region basis is part of the charm, While do want to see some sci-fi and fantasy regions, I feel they would work best as integrated as a sub theme instead of being the entire basis.

With that said I'm not sure what the reason was for basing the pokemon regions off RL locations in the first place, but I would assume said reasons are too integral for them to consider breaking completely.

With that said I'm not sure what the reason was for basing the pokemon regions off RL locations in the first place, but I would assume said reasons are too integral for them to consider breaking completely.
It's easier to design a region if most of the inspiration and building blocks are already in place. Starting from scratch is always so difficult.

Reading all of this has caused me to remember about a summer break I spent a lot of time thinking of my ideal region after BW2 released.
  • It would be a lot more old style, with a gen 2 kind of aesthetic for the humans
  • You would start in the mountainous part of the region, using a cable car to get to the lower, more urban part after around the 2nd or 3rd gym. The area the cable car journey covers would be accessible as a late game route which would allow you to scale the mountain you came down from using rock climb and waterfall, as well as bobbing in and out of a cave. When at the top of this route, you would find a cave which connects back to the mountainous part of the region and has a legendary inside.
  • Parasaurolophus and Stegosaurus fossils
  • 3 stage Dragon/Bug line, the 1st gym would be dragon and the leader would have this as their ace. This is more viable now we have fairy types, but because it would be a bug, it would have been easy enough with a flying type anyway.
  • MC has a father, who works in the police/military group of the region. This group would turn out to be the villains, and MC's dad turns on them.
  • Throughout the story, you are lead to believe by the police whatevers these dark type trainers are the villains, and fight them many times as you would any other evil team. The leader trainer is also the 8th gym leader and was trying to expose the head of the police as the real villain. (Although its not exactly the same, I feel any chance of this has been scuppered as SM has 2 evil teams)
  • Not a lot of thought was put into the starters, but I wanted the water starter to be either an elephant or a rhino.
  • The gyms would be set up like this:
  1. Dragon
  2. Ice
  3. Steel
  4. Ground
  5. Fire
  6. Poison
  7. Ghost
  8. Dark
  • The box legendaries would have had a Persona vibe (I was big on Persona 3/4 back then)
  • A quartet of legendaries in place of a trio which each represents a compass bearing (N/S/E/W), being based on the four symbols of Chinese mythology. Caching all four would unlock a really high level dungeon where a legendary based off the yellow dragon of the center would be caught. Again, SMT and Persona inspired this idea heavily.
And that is just what I can still remember. I must have forgotten a great deal more by now and I never put pen to paper with these ideas, mostly because I have no artistic skill.

I have no clue where a region like this could be based on, but maybe China, considering the whole four symbols thing.

Last edited:
I do Like England then UK, and my story is in Region that in England, and the region called "Negi Chiho (Negi Region)"

I'd love to see something from either Greece, China or Egypt. All three have great lore I feel that could easily be drawn from for an interesting thematic with their legendary and region, and (especially in the case of Greece) lend themselves well to an interesting region with a lot of locales that can draw your attention in.

The legendaries are not about good and evil its about prominent figures and dark doesnt mean evil thats a heavily misunderstood and misused truth. Dark is simply darkness/shadow. Wolves, bats are dark. Flowers most birds those are light. Sun and moon. Nothing about those is evil. Anubis is the god of death essentially and associated with dark. Ra and or horus are the total opposite to that.

Not really, the only dark thing about Anubis is that he's a god associated with death, and those traits are mostly attributed to his role as embalmer rather then being an out and out god of the dead (that role is traditionally Osiris'). Other then that, Anubis was a neutral deity that had nothing to do with Horus or Ra and didn't even oppose them in any way thematically or literally, so he doesn't fit the role at all unless you just pull a generic 'every death god is evil' thing.

Set or Apep as mentioned before are better options as they contrast Horus and Ra respectively much better. Set is the rival to Horus, is the god of violence and disorder, and is depicted as being a usurper for Osiris, who is Horus' father and the catalyst for the two's relationship. So he clashes better with Horus, who is a god associated with pharaohs (and through them, stability) and is depicted as being a rival to his rightful throne. Apep is considered Ra's rival and is essentially the lord of chaos, and thus would be a better counterpart to Ra who combats him with assistance. So either of them would be much more fitting as a contrast to either Horus or Ra, Anubis doesn't carry the same weight as those two in mythology and wouldn't be as fitting thematically.

I doubt they would make China.
1. China and Japan don't like each other much.
2. Pokémon is unavailable in China.
Weren't Sun and Moon released in China? There was a thing in the Pokemon direct after the trailer about the game featuring both traditional and simplified Chinese language options and that made it into the final game, I'm looking at the selection right now. It would be pretty odd to include 2 languages, but never release the game where they are mainly used.

I'm hoping for Russia or Finland or something like that. As during the early Alola speculation I saw an image that paired Japanese pokmeon region with the non japanese regions.

Kanto/Unova Industrial/urban
Johto/Kalos Cultural/suburban
Hoenn/Alola Tropical
Sinnoh/??? Cold Northern

I want it to be even snowier. I really want a good stab ice beam sweeper that isn't a legend or a form.

Also we know that the locations that regions are based on aren't always equal in size or population. I think it would be hilarious to see that taken to the extreme with Africa being one region.

@Mehrunes_Bagon *one language They don't use unbastardized traditional Chinese in mainland China. They could have easily released it Taiwan only if they wanted to given the traditional locationization was basically the Taiwan localization since Hong Kong uses a different dialect. There were even protests in Hong Kong because the games names don't match their localization of the anime.

Last edited:
@Mehrunes_Bagon *one language They don't use unbastardized traditional Chinese in mainland China. They could have easily released it Taiwan only if they wanted to given the traditional locationization was basically the Taiwan localization since Hong Kong uses a different dialect. There were even protests in Hong Kong because the games names don't match their localization of the anime.

Good to know, always nice to learn something new :). But did SM release in China or nah?

@Mehrunes_Bagon well they released it in Taiwan and Hong Kong but there is no mainland China release date on Bulbapedia. Which would explain why people were up and arms in Hong Kong also they feel like their dialect is being consciously eroded. I guess they made a translation just for importers or emmigrants. Or maybe it's just takes awhile for them to release it because of strict laws or something. After all there is a quota on how many foreign movies can go to China.

Anyways while Japan and China have a less than smooth relationship, it hasn't stopped any Japanese companies from using their cheap labor.

Last edited:
Well, since we'll probably have one more game before gen 8 it'll take some time to happen, but after Alola I wanted a very regional stuff, with cultural references, other kinds of challenges and with a characteristic weather (this one's a base, however I pray for the return of seasons).

Thinkinga little about it, since we had already 3 gens in a row in the West, why not come back to the East and make the new region based on China? Imagine how awesome would a Pokemon similar to the Chinese Dragon (Sheng Long) look? The Great Wall could be the Pokemon League, you'd have to climb all the way to the top and it'd be filled with trainers.
Beijing\Shangai\Hong Kong could be the principal and biggest city too (no idea which).

Furthermore we'd return to another cold place (to deviate from tropical ones), Game Freak should make it colder than Shin'ou (I would like it lol), especially on the far north.

How about a continent besides North America, Europe, or Asia?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom