• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Well Antarctica would be possible for this alleged "cold climate after tropical climate" pattern. Are there any arctic climates in South America or Africa?

Arctic enough, up in some of the mountains.

Good luck trying to keep the character alive in Antarctica.

Considering some of the Dex entries about Pokemon and the fact ice cold hasn't bothered the player characters in the past, I would say a civilization in Antarctica would be the least impossible aspect of humans surviving the Pokemon universe.

Considering some of the Dex entries about Pokemon and the fact ice cold hasn't bothered the player characters in the past, I would say a civilization in Antarctica would be the least impossible aspect of humans surviving the Pokemon universe.

They apparently care a lot about this, since people raged when you couldn't wear trousers in SM. I don't know how Wild will people go when they're only allowed to wear jackets, sweaters or something.
Also, we haven't seen a Region which is famous only for it's unliveable cold levels.

They apparently care a lot about this, since people raged when you couldn't wear trousers in SM. I don't know how Wild will people go when they're only allowed to wear jackets, sweaters or something.
Also, we haven't seen a Region which is famous only for it's unliveable cold levels.

The lack of trousers in SM is primarily because 90% of the American media depictions of Hawaii typically involve people in bikinis or shorts. There's not a lot of depictions of people wearing pants.

And to be fair, we've not seen any region outside Japan, France, or America. So we don't exactly have a lot of variety to work with.

I think we should agree to disagree. It just dosen't sound right to have the expressionless PC sitting wearing regular clothes in an icy region.
And, this will likely result in less fire Types, leading to a DP situation all over again (Ice and Dark were compensated with Alola forms, which I doubt the next Gen will have), and Fire's my favourite Type, so I'm partial to it....

The lack of trousers in SM is primarily because 90% of the American media depictions of Hawaii typically involve people in bikinis or shorts. There's not a lot of depictions of people wearing pants.

And to be fair, we've not seen any region outside Japan, France, or America. So we don't exactly have a lot of variety to work with.

If I can survive wearing full length pants in the middle of Summer in Australia, then my fictional character should be able to accomplish the same. I personally hated not having the option of wearing full length pants, especially when plenty of other trainers in the region were walking around in full length attire.

Good luck trying to keep the character alive in Antarctica.

Dawn didn't have a lot of trouble traversing the snowy regions of Sinnoh in a skirt, I doubt Antartica will provide any trouble at all :p

I think we should agree to disagree. It just dosen't sound right to have the expressionless PC sitting wearing regular clothes in an icy region.

Well they don't have to give us regular clothes. SM was all about clothing for a hot climate, I'm all for getting clothing for a cold climate this time. Think of all the winter coats and scarves and snow boots and hats. I'm in.

And, this will likely result in less fire Types, leading to a DP situation all over again (Ice and Dark were compensated with Alola forms, which I doubt the next Gen will have), and Fire's my favourite Type, so I'm partial to it....

Alola being a hot climate didn't stop them from making a snowy mountain with ice types. Antarctica being the region won't stop them from adding a part somewhere where it's hot, like a lava cave or hot springs or whatever.

last time we did get a hint that Delphox is related to india, because of her dot on her head, that made me suspicious about a tiger starter and india or sumatra.
Chesnaught looked like a hindu warrior and we got Decidueye, hinduy archer.

This time Primarina makes me think of Greece, and only known creatures are Pan(goat) or minotaur (Ox), centaur(horse), medusa(snake)
but on the over side the 2 legendaries are native to Africa.
A grass/rock lion could work.

Sirens are related to the Sphinx, hint Egipt , Africa.
Would be good to get a water/poison hipppo or water/ghost elephant.

But Incineroar wrestler motive and the Owl make me Wonder about Mexico, but we know they like to mix things.
Another Island based region would not be good, better a big dusty and hot continent with deserts, safaries and Tribes.
(Tribe challenge)

They trademarked "Pokémon Plus" and "Pokémon Minus" today. Of course, they've scrapped trademarked game titles before, like Ocean Blue, Grey, and Delta Emerald. But this sure sounds like Gen 8 paired versions, the other three trademarks I mentioned had two unreleased third versions and an alternative to LeafGreen for America.

I still believe it is way too early for Gen 8. We should get at least one more game by next year, meaning Gen 8 could start in 2019.

If I can survive wearing full length pants in the middle of Summer in Australia, then my fictional character should be able to accomplish the same. I personally hated not having the option of wearing full length pants, especially when plenty of other trainers in the region were walking around in full length attire.

Oh, agreed. It made no sense. But, alas, they didn't do it...

Alola being a hot climate didn't stop them from making a snowy mountain with ice types. Antarctica being the region won't stop them from adding a part somewhere where it's hot, like a lava cave or hot springs or whatever.

One of the world's most active volcanoes is located in Antarctica.

hmm the Tapus look like african warriors or not? what do you think?
also we got this generation Ultra Beast from a nother dimension(african folklore), and Youngoos and Gumshoos is said to come from another region and I could see a snake rival that uses switching moves or has a switch oriented ability.

Hope we get a rhino beetle(could be part rock or dragon) that is fast during sun or sandstorm, jumping mouses and

They trademarked "Pokémon Plus" and "Pokémon Minus" today.

Flashback to Jan 2014 when Plus & Minus "leaks" came online and it gave a plethora of fake info. Ironically, the lion legandary leak was in alignment with Sun's legendary, Solgaleo.

If the rumored D/P remakes are a real thing, then we'll get a frosty region a la Sinnoh before a new region/gen.
In that scenario, I hope they take hints from Platinum for it, as that game had a stronger snow aesthetic going on.

I really want an African Region that would be sooo awesome. Jungles everywhere, the boring deserts that GF loves so much, lakes and seasides for water types, and grassy pastures... please GF do an African region for Gen 8!!
Another option is central/south america, a region made of the western side (Peru, Chile, Argentina etc) would be interesting.
And I do not dare dream they made a region based in my country... I'd die

hmm the Tapus look like african warriors or not? what do you think?
also we got this generation Ultra Beast from a nother dimension(african folklore), and Youngoos and Gumshoos is said to come from another region and I could see a snake rival that uses switching moves or has a switch oriented ability.

No. It's pretty common for those from more "civilized" areas to confuse different types of tribal symbolism, though. And the "from another dimension" part is common in myths from Africa, Europe, Asia, and North America as far as I know. I don't know anything about myths from South America or Australia, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was common in those regions too.

It does help that "from another dimension" is also extremely common in a lot of media types.

I really want an African Region that would be sooo awesome. Jungles everywhere, the boring deserts that GF loves so much, lakes and seasides for water types, and grassy pastures... please GF do an African region for Gen 8!!
Another option is central/south america, a region made of the western side (Peru, Chile, Argentina etc) would be interesting.
And I do not dare dream they made a region based in my country... I'd die

You realize the Africa region you describe is several thousand times the size of any region done yet, right?

So is your second region.

No. It's pretty common for those from more "civilized" areas to confuse different types of tribal symbolism, though. And the "from another dimension" part is common in myths from Africa, Europe, Asia, and North America as far as I know. I don't know anything about myths from South America or Australia, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was common in those regions too.

It does help that "from another dimension" is also extremely common in a lot of media types.

You realize the Africa region you describe is several thousand times the size of any region done yet, right?

To be fair they could just take inspiration from various parts of Africa and cram them into a region that is mostly inspired by a specific country or city. Like how they kinda crammed stuff together for Gen V which was mostly based off of NY, but there was some inspiration from other North American places (I didn't think there were deserts in NY lol)

To be fair they could just take inspiration from various parts of Africa and cram them into a region that is mostly inspired by a specific country or city. Like how they kinda crammed stuff together for Gen V which was mostly based off of NY, but there was some inspiration from other North American places (I didn't think there were deserts in NY lol)

Both New York and New Jersey have areas with quite a lot of sand, some of which are entirely artificial. One of those could serve the same purpose easily enough as far as Pokemon habitats go.

So what? I never said it had to be a 1:1 replica. They can scale things and just use the places as inspiration. If you expect exact geographical accuracy in a game where a 10 year olds command elemental creatures then I don't know what to tell you.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom