• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. This is a big reason why GF wouldn't Switch over (pun intended). Local trading and battling is part of the essential Pokemon experience. Also, @Dustflier, where did you get this information from?

As Dustflier explained in another thread, this info is actually false and Switches can communicate with each other without internet.

@Soki, On Nintendo Switch, how can you trade pokemon and battle online, when switch is also on the console as well? Will it be possible for a Cross-Trading between 3ds and Switch?

@Sir Cookie, It's impossible to do a Cross-Trading with 3ds and Switch, I wish the case it isn't, because I wouldn't mind trading my pokemon between 3ds and switch. I hope they confirmed the cross trading for pokemon, because people are still use to to 3ds, especially you can't defend on poke bank, like how are going to link trade pokemon in order to evolve them, and how will you battle?

@Soki, On Nintendo Switch, how can you trade pokemon and battle online, when switch is also on the console as well? Will it be possible for a Cross-Trading between 3ds and Switch?

@Sir Cookie, It's impossible to do a Cross-Trading with 3ds and Switch, I wish the case it isn't, because I wouldn't mind trading my pokemon between 3ds and switch. I hope they confirmed the cross trading for pokemon, because people are still use to to 3ds, especially you can't defend on poke bank, like how are going to link trade pokemon in order to evolve them, and how will you battle?

I'm not gonna delve into the argument over whether or not Pokémon should be on the switch, but I'm pretty sure if they did make Pokémon on the switch, communication wouldn't be an issue, even between switch and 3ds. Unless they radically changed the way their systems use wireless communication, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to link up. I mean, the Wii and DS were capable of connecting, and the Wii was strictly home console.

And I don't know where the idea came from that the switch has no form of connectivity outside of online play, that makes no sense whatsoever. That ruins the whole point of taking it anywhere. They even showed in the original trailer some people hooking up 2 systems and playing in a basketball court, where there likely isn't any solid wifi.

Whatever stars is, whether it's real or whatever, and no matter what system it may end up on, it'll connect with the other games. I practically guarantee it.

Can't believe some people are arguing against pokemon on the Switch just because it's different from the 3DS. Just because it's a different home console doesn't make it less advanced or too advanced and incapable of communication between any devices. I am all but certain GF could update Bank to include the Switch.

Even if you couldn't cross-trade with the 3DS, I don't see what the problem is? When a Pokémon game comes out, the point is to trade and battle with people who have the same game on the same console. It would only be a problem if Stars released on both the 3DS and the Switch which I very much doubt. As for transferring your own Pokémon, Bank is a thing and I don't see how it couldn't easily be implemented on the Switch.

However, as the people above me said, I doubt you wouldn't be able to connect with the 3DS, iirc the Wii could connect with the DS and the Wii U can with the 3DS, so it would be weird for a more advanced console to not be able to do something like that. Especially since Nintendo said the 3DS is to coexist next to the Switch.

During the times when the Game Boy could communicate with the N64, I don't see why trading is impossible for 3DS to Switch.

I personally hypothesize that Pokemon Stars could be something like Pokemon Stadium/ Pokemon Battle Revolution, etc.
In which, you can trade with it.

During the times when the Game Boy could communicate with the N64, I don't see why trading is impossible for 3DS to Switch.

I personally hypothesize that Pokemon Stars could be something like Pokemon Stadium/ Pokemon Battle Revolution, etc.
In which, you can trade with it.
I would be impossible to trade, because they're different handheld, if you have two same game consoles, it would be possible. I really hope there's a way to trade between 3ds and switch beside using bank, plus you have to link trade in order to make them evolve, using bank to make pokemon evolve doesn't work.

I would be impossible to trade, because they're different handheld

Did you miss all we said before? The N64 could communicate with the Gameboy, the Wii could communicate with the DS, the Wii U can communicate with the 3DS. And the DS can communicate with the 3DS too. Being different handhelds says nothing about their ability to communicate.

Did you miss all we said before? The N64 could communicate with the Gameboy, the Wii could communicate with the DS, the Wii U can communicate with the 3DS. And the DS can communicate with the 3DS too. Being different handhelds says nothing about their ability to communicate.
Sorry I didn't get it at first, When you explained I do get it now :)

Even if you couldn't cross-trade with the 3DS, I don't see what the problem is? When a Pokémon game comes out, the point is to trade and battle with people who have the same game on the same console. It would only be a problem if Stars released on both the 3DS and the Switch which I very much doubt. As for transferring your own Pokémon, Bank is a thing and I don't see how it couldn't easily be implemented on the Switch.
I was thinking that certain Pokemon in Sun and Moon would be left out in Stars, just as done in previous Generations (like Gen III). That way, it can encourage the player to find people with different copies of the game and trade with them. However, the 3DS and Switch communication may be a problem (haven't read all comments on this, maybe I should?) so that would create no complete Dex. This is why I think Pokemon Switch would be for Gen VIII onwards.

As others have stated, there will most likely be no issues with Nintendo 3DS connecting to Nintendo Switch. Apparently, people have taken the meaning 'Nintendo Switch cannot play 3DS games' and decided it means 'The two consoles cannot connect at all.' Also to clarify what others have said, I'm not sure where people got the idea that Nintendo Switch consoles cannot connect locally, when that is literally one of the major points of the console: Playing with your friends, anywhere.

Also, Pokémon Bank (along with transporter) was specifically designed to work on multi platforms. That was the entire point of GameFreak creating it to begin with, making our lives easier for storing and transferring Pokémon now as well as in the future. GameFreak most certainly did not JUST have the 3DS in mind when creating Pokémon Bank, they had the future in mind.

I'm not really seeing how trading will be a problem. Don't forget the 3ds was able to be used as a freaking controller for the Wii U. If they have the software to do that then they definitely have the software to allow cross trading between the Switch and the 3DS. Also something else to notice is that they are going to be phasing out the 3DS in the coming year, one should notice that a lot of series that would have been on just the 3DS are going to the Switch.

If anything I get the feeling that Stars will be a pair of cross platform sequel with one version on the Switch and another version on the 3DS, because truthfully trading isn't going to be a problem, after all trading now uses wi-fi, as long as they have the friend code and there is an update that allows the 3DS to recognize Switch friend codes it wouldn't be that hard to trade between them, especially since they still use the same technology to trade. Don't forget you could still trade between a gameboy color and a gameboy advance, the only reason that you couldn't trade to Ruby and Sapphire was more because of the games themselves and not the systems.

What do you want in Pokemon Stars (choose two if neccessary)
A. New Exclusive Z-moves
B. New Alolan Formes
C. New Mega Evolution
D.All of the Above

A. New Exclusive Z-moves
B. New Alolan Formes
C. New Mega Evolution
D.All of the Above

Ideally, I'd like to see all three to different degrees.

I do feel we won't get any new mega evos, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

A. New Exclusive Z-moves
B. New Alolan Formes
C. New Mega Evolution
D.All of the Above
It all depends on which Generation Sinnoh remakes fall in. If VII, then A and B. But if VIII, then only B. I don't see C as an option at all.

Back
Top Bottom