• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Given the purpose of the Rocket Gang trio was to have an audience appeal to the adults watching the show, it's safe to assume they're adults.
No. That's the minimal age of consent allowed for setting laws. Pretty much all prefectures typically set their age of consent to 18 anyway.

There are two islands that technically have an age of consent that's 13 but they're unpopulated anyway.

I believe she's in her early-twenties. Doesn't look like an underage to me at all, neither Kojirou.
I've seen rumors Trio're 17, but the source gave Takeshi the same age, which seems pretty nonsense taking in acc he's smaller than them.
In my opinion Takeshi should be 16\17 and Trio 21\22.
Takeshi is officially 15...

lwzBp39.jpg

In that case, Takeshi is also a Pedophile.
Even if he was 16/17, he wouldn't be a pedophile. Legally he is still a minor, biologically he hasn't been attracted to anyone prepubescent. All the girls he says he "looks forward to in 8 years" barely makes the cut past that. Okay, maybe Nanako... but he's still a kid himself when all is said and done. Though that's taking our real world modern civilized values into account.

The fictional world of Pokemon is very different from ours, I wouldn't be surprised if the age of consent was the same age people are allowed to go out alone and fend for themselves. Shudou's explanation for that in the novels made a lot of sense from a world-building perspective. Takeshi stepped up to take care of his nine siblings and became their guardian when his parents bailed on them, that's much more mature than any real 15-year old.

Last edited:
I've seen Takeshi to be 15 in some sources before, but since none of them were that reliable I preferred to only guess his age until now. That print seems to be from a very old magazine, right? Looks like those from the late 90's.

The scans are from the Pocket Monsters Marukajiri Book 3 (ポケットモンスターまるかじりブック3), or Have a Big Bite of Pocket Monsters Book 3. It was released in March 1998. The same source also lists the Rocket-Dan's ages as "unknown."

ages_rockets.png

Musashi states that she's 17 in "The Pokemon Certification Exam!?" ("The Ultimate Test" in the dub) but she was undercover then and was most likely just lying.

I have no idea what Bulbapedia is talking about when it says that the Japanese version of the second movie states that Musashi and Kojirou are 25 years old. If a script change that major had taken place in the dub of that movie then I certainly woudl have mentioned it back when I was doing Lugia Lundis two years ago.

The Rocket duo has been seen driving and drinking alcohol so they're probably meant to be at least 20. But then again, they are *criminals* and if they're fine with kidnapping living creatures all the time then they certainly wouldn't be above driving without a license.

Regardless of how old Musashi is, Dr. Doc flirting with Kasumi is just ick. That doesn't change.

sc190191 said:
I have a question on the side story episode Kasumi get the blue badge/the blue badge of courage. I the dub Misty says "he's been assisting professor Oak the last few years" in reference to Tracy. I looked on your episode comparison and didn't see that as a text edit, so I was wondering if this was said in the original version. I know it may not mean a whole lot since its just a side story episode, but I thought it was interesting she would refer to what basically amounts to the time in Johto and some change as a few years. Obviously a hint at the passage of time means a lot more if it was said in the original than in the dub.

I don't have access to the Japanese version at the moment but I'll be sure to check it out the next time I get a chance.

MizuTaipu said:
I've noticed you've started romanizing ニャース as Nyarth when you've spelled it Nyasu all these years. Any reason why? :)

I'm (very slowly) going through my romanizations for the pokemon names to make them more in-line with the official romanizations, more or less. There are some official romanizations that I still think are complete garbage ("Eievui," "Prasle," "Zorua") and so I'm going to leave those as-is but I came to the realization that most of my romanizations that differed from the official ones were just different for the sake of being different. So, I decided to swallow my pride and change 'em.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Bulbapedia is talking about when it says that the Japanese version of the second movie states that Musashi and Kojirou are 25 years old. If a script change that major had taken place in the dub of that movie then I certainly woudl have mentioned it back when I was doing Lugia Lundis two years ago.

Musashi: "Hey now, you brats are about ten years too early to be worrying about things like romance or who you like and who you don't like."
Kojirou: "And we older folks about about five years too late."

This is the exchange I believe they were talking about. Isn't there a stereotype in Japan that women are considered undesirable after the age of 25?

Juu nen hayai is a common expression in Japanese that means "you're too young to ____" or "___ is out of your league." It's not meant to be taken literally.

Likewise, if I say "I will never in a million years __" that doesn't mean that I literally expect to live to be 1,000,000 years old.

Juu nen hayai is a common expression in Japanese that means "you're too young to ____" or "___ is out of your league." It's not meant to be taken literally.
You're completely ignoring the later part where James says they're 5 years too late. James changed the 10 to 5. If that was *just* an inversion of that same common expression, he would have still said 10. He didn't. The reasonable conclusion is that it was written so that James was specifically and accurately referring to their ages.

Also timelines in the Mewtwo radio drama point towards Musashi being in her mid twenties. (I'm in a verrrrry bad internet place ATM so if someone would like to corroborate with the transcript then it would be much appreciated.)

I agree Doku is still a creep.

You're completely ignoring the later part where James says they're 5 years too late. James changed the 10 to 5. If that was *just* an inversion of that same common expression, he would have still said 10.

Why?

If Meowth says "at least I still have eight more lives" then we understand that to be a simple turn of phrase even though he says eight instead of nine. Same thing with juu nen hayai / go nen osoi.

Why?

If Meowth says "at least I still have eight more lives" then we understand that to be a simple turn of phrase even though he says eight instead of nine. Same thing with juu nen hayai / go nen osoi.
You're still using bad analogies. You're still talking about a single/independent phrase by a single character. If we were only talking about Jessie's line or only about James's line, you may have a point. We're not, though.

You're completely ignoring the later part where James says they're 5 years too late. James changed the 10 to 5. If that was *just* an inversion of that same common expression, he would have still said 10. He didn't. The reasonable conclusion is that it was written so that James was specifically and accurately referring to their ages.

James was saying the twerps are way too young to worry about romance while he and Jessie are a little too old. That's why he changed the 10 to 5. He never explicitly said they were 25. Bulbapedia is so obsessed with gender confirmation and at the same time we use one of James' jokes to determine his age. It's amazing.

And I can't believe you guys don't remember Gary driving a convertible full of teenage girls. And he's confirmed to be 10. Jessie and James driving vehicles means nothing. The alcohol thing may mean something, but when was the last time they were seen drinking again? I think it was in Battling The Generation Gap! when Jessilina was shown drinking wine during the Celestic Contest. I could be wrong.

@Dogasu you mentioned recently on Twitter that you once heard that you can tell the good animators from the bad ones based on how they draw Meowth. I'd just like to add that he's not the only character that trick works on:

tumblr_op1wh4JDWa1ro37quo1_1280.png

This isn't even touching some of the shit ADs they had in AG onward (especially DP).

James was saying the twerps are way too young to worry about romance while he and Jessie are a little too old. That's why he changed the 10 to 5. He never explicitly said they were 25. Bulbapedia is so obsessed with gender confirmation and at the same time we use one of James' jokes to determine his age. It's amazing.
I'll be honest. I don't feel that you're right. But that may be my problem. I can't say your theory is so unreasonable.

And I can't believe you guys don't remember Gary driving a convertible full of teenage girls. And he's confirmed to be 10. Jessie and James driving vehicles means nothing.
I'm pretty sure someone else (a woman with glasses?) was driving it.

@Dogasu you mentioned recently on Twitter that you once heard that you can tell the good animators from the bad ones based on how they draw Meowth. I'd just like to add that he's not the only character that trick works on:

tumblr_op1wh4JDWa1ro37quo1_1280.png

This isn't even touching some of the shit ADs they had in AG onward (especially DP).

Yeah, I also think that the TRio are the best way to tell who is animating which episode, and the way they are either perfectly drawn or horribly drawn (there is rarely a middle term) is also very interesting.
It shows one more aspect in which JJM are deep characters, as they can be interpreted (and subsequently drawn) very differently! Though now in SM it is harder to tell one animator from the other solely by looking at them.

The character thing works with pretty much everybody, but I feel Nyarth is the most obvious because his proportions / head shape is so specific that even the slightest deviation results in something just looking off.

Tiddlywinks said:
You're still using bad analogies. You're still talking about a single/independent phrase by a single character. If we were only talking about Jessie's line or only about James's line, you may have a point. We're not, though.

My analogies are fine. The two person vs. one person thing doesn't matter, either. Musashi said the regular version of the common expression, and Kojirou adds to that with his own turn of phrase. The wordplay doesn't suddenly become invalid just because two people contribute to it instead of one.

I really think you're taking a couple of lines that are just meant to be a joke (a lame joke, but a joke nonetheless) and are reading into it far too literally. To be fair, though, a lot of other fans do exactly the same thing. But in order for your interpretation to work we'd have to believe that screenplay writer Takeshi Shudo thought that the best way to reveal a couple of characters' ages would be to have them do so in an extremely unnatural exchange that requires the film's viewers to do a series of calculations to figure out what they're trying to say. I really don't think that's the case.

(Plus, for the literal meaning to work the Rocket trio would have to actually know that Satoshi is ten years old. And while that's something they could have figured out on their own I don't think we actually know that they know?)

Charmander4 said:
Did Ash say he'd come back for Pidgeot in the Japanese version?

Here's my take on it:

pidgeot.JPG

So...sorta-kinda?

Back
Top Bottom