• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stereotypes about your country that's not true?

As an Asian American, the fact that stereotypes have us eating dogs both disturbs me and is a good opportunity to make a racist joke about myself. Also, I'm not an A student...

Well, their current administration certainly isn't helping dispel those stereotypes, in any case.

To be honest, neither did many of the past ones. And sadly, this guy still isn't the top-ten list of most corrupt or evil leaders for us, and it's going to be kinda hard to compete with Nixon and the guy who committed genocide for the top two slots. Or Jefferson for the third.

Yeah, the idea we generally have good leaders who shouldn't be on trial in Hague? That's a stereotype that probably isn't true. Even a number of our leaders who could be argued to not be evil were definitely not good people.

To be honest, neither did many of the past ones. And sadly, this guy still isn't the top-ten list of most corrupt or evil leaders for us, and it's going to be kinda hard to compete with Nixon and the guy who committed genocide for the top two slots. Or Jefferson for the third.

Yeah, the idea we generally have good leaders who shouldn't be on trial in Hague? That's a stereotype that probably isn't true. Even a number of our leaders who could be argued to not be evil were definitely not good people.

I wouldn't consider him "evil", I think that's going a little overboard. Stupid, most definitely, I trust Baron to be a better leader.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use eh to finish sentences as a kind of verbal tic unless they were making fun of the Canadian stereotype. I'm certain I've never heard anyone say aboot instead of about. We also got mean people like any other civilization.

As a dutch I can safely say that we barely walk on sabots. The last time I saw them was when my mom was gardening so she could take them of easy and get inside the house without getting dirt everywhere.

When people say all Americans are fat-
It’s not just that, though. There’s stereotypes for regions.
A lot of people think that all there is in the Midwest is corn, and only farmers live there. Well, Chicago has over 2 million inhabitants.
Just because the southeast hated blacks 100+ years ago doesn’t mean we hate them now.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use eh to finish sentences as a kind of verbal tic unless they were making fun of the Canadian stereotype. I'm certain I've never heard anyone say aboot instead of about. We also got mean people like any other civilization.

I can name plenty of mean Canadians.

Funny that you mentioned the "nice Canadian" stereotype. One of my friends' mums used to work with a woman from Calgary, and she told me that said woman was so nice it was almost scary. Interestingly, my friend's mum told me the woman had a very French surname, yet she couldn't speak French, which really surprised me (plus her first name was Sharon, which definitely isn't French).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom