• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I don't understand why the play isn't forced to battle the trial captain after defeating the totem Pokemon.
Yeah, We could've complete the trial and then face against the trials captains, the could've have did something like that in Sun/Moon.

There's still time left for an announcement. Or at least some news. I am really hoping for something, no matter how small, this month. :)

Yeah, We could've complete the trial and then face against the trials captains, the could've have did something like that in Sun/Moon.

It's a shame that this didn't happen. Especially for Mina. She literally did nothing!

i'm assuming you have a switch which is why you'd want a pokemon game on it though and if i had one i would too. tbh this is more of a personal rant for me and others who don't have a switch.
I've mentioned many times I have neither system. I don't want any 3DS I'll purchase now to become obsolete with one game. Also, I don't like the older artsyles so I don't have any incentive to play the old DS games.
Also, I'd rather not spend on a 3DS only to find that they made the Switch (pun intended) to a new system.

Well maybe we're not getting a Pokémon Direct, but the news could still come out of completely nowhere, like what happened with ORAS iirc. A Pokémon Direct is not a necessity for an announcement to be made. I can imagine them simply announcing the game on the official website and then showing a trailer and maybe some gameplay at the E3.

Well maybe we're not getting a Pokémon Direct, but the news could still come out of completely nowhere, like what happened with ORAS iirc. A Pokémon Direct is not a necessity for an announcement to be made. I can imagine them simply announcing the game on the official website and then showing a trailer and maybe some gameplay at the E3.
If they announce it without Pokemon Direct, then we still got this month, if they announce it right out of the blue. Why do I get the feeling that it'll be Sinnoh Remake next? If it was Third game to Sun/Moon then they'll announce it through Corocoro like Platinum, but the only Corocoro we got is 20th Anniversary, I choose you.

If they announce it without Pokemon Direct, then we still got this month, if they announce it right out of the blue. Why do I get the feeling that it'll be Sinnoh Remake next? If it was Third game to Sun/Moon then they'll announce it through Corocoro like Platinum, but the only Corocoro we got is 20th Anniversary, I choose you.

There is not a rule that 3rd versions will be announced only through corocoro.

There is not a rule that 3rd versions will be announced only through corocoro.
They did it for Platinum, plus we haven't had third game n while, the pair game and remake sells a lot better than third game itself. The whole purpose of GF is not to be predictable. Do you think they'll Go back to old format?

They did it for Platinum, plus we haven't had third game n while, the pair game and remake sells a lot better than third game itself. The whole purpose of GF is not to be predictable. Do you think they'll Go back to old format?
1. Going back to the old format would be unpredictable. Your post is the evidence.
2. They did it for platinum, but there is no rule that they must do it for every game (did you even read my post?)
3. Personally, I'm expecting Stars to be paired versions.

I think GF'd better milk the worth out of completionist people who buy both versions. Since all the customers would buy atleast one version, and the second offers extra sales with minimal effort.

1. Going back to the old format would be unpredictable. Your post is the evidence.
2. They did it for platinum, but there is no rule that they must do it for every game (did you even read my post?)
3. Personally, I'm expecting Stars to be paired versions.
You don't know exactly if "Stars" might turn out to be third game to alola, Okay yes Eurogamer said it's in development, If it was they would've they would have announced it already. You know GF like the surprise the fans. What if the codename "Stars" doesn't relate to Alola at all, it might turn out to be something else. If we do want go back to Alola, they can do a Alola sequel like Back 2/White 2

You don't know exactly if "Stars" might turn out to be third game to alola, Okay yes Eurogamer said it's in development, If it was they would've they would have announced it already.
Companies don't treat games like pieces of homework. They don't have to immediately announce something when it's completed. Of that were the case, we'd be hearing about XY a week after BW2.

What if the codename "Stars" doesn't relate to Alola at all, it might turn out to be something else. If we do want go back to Alola, they can do a Alola sequel like Back 2/White 2
1. Talks about not going to Alola.
2. Suggests Alola sequel.

I don't understand this statement.

Companies don't treat games like pieces of homework. They don't have to immediately announce something when it's completed. Of that were the case, we'd be hearing about XY a week after BW2.

1. Talks about not going to Alola.
2. Suggests Alola sequel.

I don't understand this statement.
First, Gamefreak like to surprise, they get us hype over a third game that we don't know about and fans like to throw out speculation on the game the will be, but when the announcement comes, the game is not what the fans were expecting, they did that for "Grey" and "Z", and again yes Eurogamer said it's in development, you never know what the next game is, they'll just pull a stunt again like they did before.

Second, the movie promote the game, the 20th anniversary "I choose you", doesn't take place in Alola, It's a retelling story of kanto though, I did see cross uses his Incineroar in the trailer and Lycanroc (bulbapedia), and ash's new companion have Sinnoh pokemon Piplup and Lucario. In the pokemon movie, they always hint toward the next game like "Giratina and the Sky Warrior" we got Platinum, In Arceus and the Jewel of Life we saw Johto Starters, which hinted the HG and SS and yes they always announce the game before the movie is release. If the movie focus on maybe Solgaleo, Lunaala and Necromza, then the next game would be in Alola, but "I choose you" focus on Kanto/Johto pokemon. Also Gen 7 is the way to celebrate 20th anniversary, like they did Sun/Moon, So I think the next game will continue to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

Finally, I meant If we get a game that we can go back to alola instead of Alola third game, we can have a Alola Sequel, it probably won't be till 2018, I wanted to be like Black 2/White 2

Well, I don't understand why the play isn't forced to battle the trial captain after defeating the totem Pokemon.

Probably because they wanted the Trials to be different from Gyms. If it's just a puzzle that ultimately concludes in a battle against what is essentially a Gym Leader... what exactly has changed? They've just transformed the Gym Trainers into Pokémon.

As compensation, we get to battle the Trial Captains at other times.

It's a shame that this didn't happen. Especially for Mina. She literally did nothing!

Following on from my previous comment, it's not as if we didn't get to battle the Captains at all (I myself was actually expecting us not to, during the prerelease). The battles just take place elsewhen. Including Mina's. So we more-or-less did get what you're talking about here, just not as a part of the Island Challenge framework.

Okay yes Eurogamer said it's in development, If it was they would've they would have announced it already.

Proof? There's still a good amount of time left for an announcement.

Just for some clarification on the Eurogamer rumor. On November 18th Eurogamer reported that a new game was in development. They stated that this game was code named "Stars" and that it was being developed along side SM. During said development GF put a pause on the production of "Stars" so that they could put some finishing touches on SM. In their report they also stated that "Stars" is supposed to be a game similar into Pokemon Yellow. Essentially it would be a third game to SM. They also stated it would be for the Nintendo Switch. In addition to these details they stated that "Stars" was originally supposed to be released in Summer 2017, but was ultimately pushed back to Fall 2017 so that they could have more time to work on it.

Now there are a few options we could go with this. The first is that we take the Eurogamer rumor at face value. That'd mean we are getting a typical 3rd version for the Switch. That means it's not a sequel or anything too different from SM. It would basically just be a change to the preexisting story, but with all three legends being involved instead of just one. The other options are that the project isnt anything at all how they described "Stars" and it's a project with a new story. That could either be a gen 4 remake or a brand new Alola story.

This is also assuming the Eureogamer rumor is even close to being true and we are getting a game at all this year.

Last edited:
Just for some clarification on the Eurogamer rumor. On November 18th Eurogamer reported that a new game was in development. They stated that this game was code named "Stars" and that it was being developed along side SM. During said development GF put a pause on the production of "Stars" so that they could put some finishing touches on SM. In their report they also stated that "Stars" is supposed to be a game similar into Pokemon Yellow. Essentially it would be a third game to SM. They also stated it would be for the Nintendo Switch. In addition to these details they stated that "Stars" was originally supposed to be released in Summer 2017, but was ultimately pushed back to Fall 2017 so that they could have more time to work on it.

Now there are a few options we could go with this. The first is that we take the Eurogamer rumor at face value. That'd mean we are getting a typical 3rd version for the Switch. That means it's not a sequel or anything too different from SM. The other options at that the project isnt anything at all how they described "Stars" and it's a project with a new story.
I'll go with the other option "that the project isn't anything at all how they described "Stars" and it's a project with a new story". We know GF like to pull surprises on fans.

Now there are a few options we could go with this. The first is that we take the Eurogamer rumor at face value. That'd mean we are getting a typical 3rd version for the Switch. That means it's not a sequel or anything too different from SM. The other options at that the project isnt anything at all how they described "Stars" and it's a project with a new story.

If Stars is real (which I'm about 50% convinced of, myself), then I think it will be a third version, just as the report says - the only question in my head is, to what extent will it be augmented? Will it be essentially just a copy/paste of SM? Will it add a few extra features, like Crystal? Or will there be a rather large stimulus of added features?

Back
Top Bottom