• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Round Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had an idea regarding a mentor game. It kinda flips AE's idea on its head where, instead of the students playing and the mentors advising, the mentors play, and the students observe how they play and interact with the other players.
Each student is paired with one mentor-player and is given access to only the information that their mentor has.
The student can then watch as their mentor plays the game, ask questions about methodology and techniques, as well as see what their mentor does "behind the scenes."
As I'm sure anybody who has hosted a game I've played in can agree, I take vigorous notes in my role PM that never get to see the light of day as the game progresses based on my understanding of the game and how it works. This is invaluable to student players because it actually shows how my thought process evolves based on new information at my disposal.

He's right. He takes notes, and even has a simulation game detailing everything that will happen.

As I'm sure anybody who has hosted a game I've played in can agree, I take vigorous notes in my role PM that never get to see the light of day as the game progresses based on my understanding of the game and how it works. This is invaluable to student players because it actually shows how my thought process evolves based on new information at my disposal.
This in my opinion is one of the most fun to do as player, and to read as a GM.

I believe it may have been Gen One, I dont remember for sure. But ME posted lots of notes which helped myself even though I was hosting.

@Maniacal Engineer Whats your opinion on AE's conceptual queue idea?

@Maniacal Engineer Whats your opinion on AE's conceptual queue idea?
I'm not a big fan of clutter, since it sets off my OCD. In my opinion, everything that the conceptual queue did could be done using either The Situation Room or the War Room Discord server. I might suggest creating a specific Discord channel in said server for hosts looking for co-hosts or to bounce game ideas around, if y'all think that might be helpful.

I actually had an idea regarding a mentor game. It kinda flips AE's idea on its head where, instead of the students playing and the mentors advising, the mentors play, and the students observe how they play and interact with the other players.
Each student is paired with one mentor-player and is given access to only the information that their mentor has.
The student can then watch as their mentor plays the game, ask questions about methodology and techniques, as well as see what their mentor does "behind the scenes."
Honestly, i am not sure i would learn anything by just watching. Besides, my idea goes beyond just one game.

Only I can host star wars:p
Quiet, you :p

Honestly, i am not sure i would learn anything by just watching. Besides, my idea goes beyond just one game.
Of course.
A) my idea above is supposed to be an interactive experience for the students. They can ask questions and discuss the game with their mentors, and the mentors can use the game for teachable moments. Theoretically, then, it wouldn't just be watching.
B) it wouldn't be just one game, nor would it be the only available option for mentoring. It would be part of an entire mentoring "program." I've got some ideas on that, but for now, I will let them develop a bit further. One thing I will say is that it could be something that happens in any game. If a mentor is participating in a game, or if a student wants a mentor to participate in a game, they can request this arrangement.
C) this is honestly my preferred method for tutoring. Assuming anybody would want me as a tutor, I feel like I would do better with demonstrative tutoring than with guidance tutoring. I'm basing this on my methodology from when I acted as a substitute or guest teacher in the past.
D) based on the above, it would actually be a way to "get me out of retirement" and playing in games again.

I'd also like to see mentor games run from time to time (such as the one that happened last year) where the student gets a role PM, and the mentor is an uninformed observer (they don't know the setup and can only see their student's role PM and the main thread), and they work to advise their student on how to judge a person's behaviour and attitude in thread, their actions... etcetcetc. Basically not tell, but guide their student.

I know this would require dedication on both the staff members and the volunteer mentors, but I do think it's worth it.

I am in full agreement of having a mentor game. It would also be a great way to potentially recruit new players into the War Room. I'm down for us regulars to help mentor players too to introduce them to the game also. I'll be more than willing to volunteer to guide. Still debating whether we should have the mentors be only TWR regulars though.

On a related note, I feel that maybe we should update the guides: Notice: - Playing & Hosting Guides . I feel that at the current state, the guide is too much and a little technical for incoming new players. It's something that I'm also willing to work on to make it more newbie friendly also.

On a related note, I feel that maybe we should update the guides: Notice: - Playing & Hosting Guides . I feel that at the current state, the guide is too much and a little technical for incoming new players. It's something that I'm also willing to work on to make it more newbie friendly also.
The only work we've done on these guides so far is update a few parts that had become obsolete over the years. There has been some discussion on editing it in a more newbie-friendly fahsion but we dropped the idea at the time because we believed that a guide should cover the more technical and advanced aspects, besides we appreciate greatly the work of former War Room staff on this. We will bring it back in the table again since you have shown interest, though.

C) this is honestly my preferred method for tutoring. Assuming anybody would want me as a tutor, I feel like I would do better with demonstrative tutoring than with guidance tutoring. I'm basing this on my methodology from when I acted as a substitute or guest teacher in the past.
I can't speak to your experience in those cases, but I feel the demonstrative form of teaching is less effective than the guidance form of teaching. Personal opinion that is influenced with teaching my parents how to use computers.

D) based on the above, it would actually be a way to "get me out of retirement" and playing in games again.
... That is very tempting...

Would the students pick their mentor?
With my idea, no. The War Room staff would assign the best mentor to the student, based on several factors.

With MEs idea, I'd say probably yes.

I can't speak to your experience in those cases, but I feel the demonstrative form of teaching is less effective than the guidance form of teaching. Personal opinion that is influenced with teaching my parents how to use computers..
from personal experience, that's a bad example
if they can't learn computers, they just can't learn computers regardless of method

from personal experience, that's a bad example
if they can't learn computers, they just can't learn computers regardless of method
Curious why you crossed it out lol.

I disagree. When I showed mum how to do it, it basically went in one ear and out the other... When I told mum how to do it, but refused to touch the controls, she was able to do it herself from then on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom