• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
@Matleo could you tell me where is this (stupid) rule that every starter has to counter another starter? They can remain independent!
GF shouldn't limit their starter pool only to 'counter' other starters. They're not even in competition! If anything, a starter should counter another starter from it's own generation, to help in rival battles.

This is more a problem of technological limitations and time limitations for creating content than the worldstyle. Open World does not necessarily mean that it won't still feel this limited or lacking of content; there are a large number of open world games, the best example being Sims 3, that fully demonstrate the same sense of limitation due to the sheer lack of content.

If anything, there's been a bit of a backlash in certain segments of the gaming community against open world games because they have the same complaints about open world games that you do about Sun and Moon.

Personally, I hope GF takes a bit longer with the next generation and adds a lot more content.

The Sims 3 is an odd game to bring up. The game is a completely different concept from something like Pokemon, or the style of open-world it would have. As a long-time player of The Sims series, I can tell you that although The Sims 3 is lacking in some places, it does not at all have the limited feel that I'm speaking of here. If you want to talk about a The Sims game that has that problem, you need not look any further than The Sims 4 - a game that removed the open-world.

Still, I hate to even begin to imply that Sun/Moon could be compared to The Sims 4. The Sims 4 is such a mediocre example of its series that did nothing to really stand apart from The Sims 3 and before in any positive way. Although I have many reservations about Sun/Moon I can't say the same thing. Anyway, sorry, not to go off on The Sims. lol

The Sims 3 is an odd game to bring up. The game is a completely different concept from something like Pokemon, or the style of open-world it would have. As a long-time player of The Sims series, I can tell you that although The Sims 3 is lacking in some places, it does not at all have the limited feel that I'm speaking of here. If you want to talk about a The Sims game that has that problem, you need not look any further than The Sims 4 - a game that removed the open-world.

Still, I hate to even begin to imply that Sun/Moon could be compared to The Sims 4. The Sims 4 is such a mediocre example of its series that did nothing to really stand apart from The Sims 3 and before in any positive way. Although I have many reservations about Sun/Moon I can't say the same thing. Anyway, sorry, not to go off on The Sims. lol

There are parallels between Sims 3 and Sun/Moon.

Basically, I brought it up because enough people complained about lack of content in Sims 3, comparing it constantly to its predecessors, that it was rather obviously a problem. Much like I see the same being said about Sun/Moon now... and how, like Sims 3, people are turning to world style and blaming it as the problem. So, basically, I see the parallels between Sims 3 and Sun/Moon and am basically trying to say that world style is very much not the problem.

Now, there are other, far better reasons why Pokemon should go open-world. Such as a revamp to the way wild Pokemon are handled that would massively improve catching them and also completely revolutionize and invigorate the series. Those are good reasons. But doing it simply to improve content doesn't work, as you and I have both personally witnessed with another franchise.

Considering how popular Pikachu Is, Why Raichu never got a Mega is beyond me. No member of the Pichu line stands a chance in competitive battles.

Raichu is usable in competitive (purely personal experience on anything goes Showdown here). It's stats are mostly okay.
Also, I remember reading somewhere that a person won in VGC using Raichu.

@Matleo could you tell me where is this (stupid) rule that every starter has to counter another starter? They can remain independent!
GF shouldn't limit their starter pool only to 'counter' other starters. They're not even in competition! If anything, a starter should counter another starter from it's own generation, to help in rival battles.
yes and no. In Kalos we got difrent gen starter and you could notice that what you said.
But rivalry between generations also exist and they take that fact into notice thats why some pokes like Deci and Samu have the same speed.

more interesting:

what types and abilities were never used together? and why? which should which not?

yes and no. In Kalos we got difrent gen starter and you could notice that what you said.
That is 2 regions out of 7
But rivalry between generations also exist and they take that fact into notice thats why some pokes like Deci and Samu have the same speed.
So, I'll give let's say... Umbreon and Hitmonchan the same speed, so, are they now rivals?
They just stumble upon the same numbers. The only rivalry that may exist is Typhlosion and Charizard, since they got exact same BSTs and overall stats.

The only rivalry that may exist is Typhlosion and Charizard, since they got exact same BSTs and overall stats.

hidden starter rivalry will naturaly exist between players of older and new gen.
Like rivalry between pokemon of the same type and the types they are weak and strong too.
Also hidden rivalry between the pokemons hidden design figures like knight and ninja, dragon(charizard) and tiger(if incineroar could become a fairy) and so on.

I gotta agree with PkmnTrainerV on this one. It just seems a bit of a stretch to say there's rivalries involved. People have their preferences, but I've not seen any sign of the level of split needed for a rivalry.

Same issue with the designs. If anything, I see people more complaining about good designs wasted on weak stats and good stats coming with bad designs than any rivalry between design ideas.

I just wish they do a fire starter that is atleast on par with Greninja and Sceptile on speed. Probably having some type like fairy (but please not anything that gives it a 4x water weakness)

I'd like to see Game Freak try a Bug starter in the future. Either Fire/Bug or Water/Bug, I guess (and probably Fire, since we just got two Water/Bug in SM). Grass/Bug is one of the worst pairings in the game, so they should avoid it. We've had Bulbasaur and Rowlet both have a dual type and Rowlet's even changes as it evolves, so I don't think it's impossible to happen, even if it's definitely super unlikely.

Bugs might not have the broad appeal of a cutesy mammalian starter, but I think they would be able to pull it off and it'd be interesting for some starter diversity for sure. Same reason I wouldn't mind seeing a mollusc starter at some point. A cute little snail, for example, would be adorable.

but the chinese zodiac...
A fire rabbit or horse starter, which hopefully gets Fairy or Electric secondary typing would be nice.

I'd like to see a region based on a former country rather than a current one. It would certainly be surprising, and we all know how Game Freak wants to keep us on our toes lately. So, any ideas for a former country that would fit in the Pokémon World?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom