• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay now I ahve a question, regardless of when it happens, Gen 4 remakes have to consider one thing. What do do with the extra legendaries?

I'll elaborate. Every remake has had a way to get every legendary that isn't found in the headlining games (though Ho-oh and Lugia had some weirdness with that in Gen 3) It stands that the gen 4 remakes might be similar. Platinum established a way to get the Golems and Birds, but considering the latter are tied to a mechanic that seemed to be universally reviled...

Either way that still leaves the following:
  • Mewtwo
  • Crown Beasts (Entei, Raikou and Suicune)
  • Tower Birds (Ho-Oh and Lugia)
  • Weather Trio (Groudon, Kyogre,and Raquayza)
  • Aeon Dragons (Latios and Latias)
  • Deoxys
  • Swords of Justice (Terrakion, Viriziona dn Cobalion)
  • Tao Dragons (Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem)
  • Forces of Nature (Landorus, Tornadus and Thunderus)
  • Mortality trio (Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde)
And if not in 7 they also have to account for:
  • Cosmog and their evolutions
  • Necrozma
  • The Tapu (Koko, Lele, Fini and Bulu)
  • and the Ultra Beasts
  • On a lesser note they laso have to consider Silvally, but the connection to Arceus might make it easier).
How would you think a potential Gen 4 remake might handled those legendaries (and a side story centering on Giratina and a Gen 4 mythical should they consider that?)

I think mostly because we've just been in SM, references will hardly give us any nostalgia at this point :p Also it's probably not about being against SM, but more about wanting a Sinnoh game to be about Sinnoh and not SM again, since again: we've just been there. At least that's my reasons for wanting to keep SM references to a minimum.

Aether Foundation people checking out the library would be fine by me though, cause that would make total sense. But if we get more SM cameos that would kinda ruin the immersion for me, because I play this game to be in Sinnoh again and see the Sinnoh characters, not the SM ones.

Last edited:
How would you think a potential Gen 4 remake might handled those legendaries (and a side story centering on Giratina and a Gen 4 mythical should they consider that?)

Well, they did just use Hoopa to give us all the Legendaries in ORAS, so I can see them doing that again. Especially because of the Beasts, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and if not in Gen 7, the Tapus.

Cosmog, the UBs, and Necrozma could be thrown in a UB quest if it isn't in Gen 7. They're not restricted to one place after all.

Last edited:
In any remakes how would Manaphy, Darkrai and Shaymin be handled?

In ORAS, Jirachi was completely ignored but Deoxys was part of the main game, requiring no event. Could the Membership Key and Oak's Letter be obtained through normal gameplay like Deoxys, event again, or scrapped altogether like the GS Ball in HGSS?

Considering Arceus' status as the creator of the Pokémon world, I feel like it should remain as event-exclusive.

And that's if they decide to cut back on the event-only mons to 1 in the Gen that's getting remade. So in this case, Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin, and Darkrai would be obtainable without events.

Well, they did just use Hoopa to give us all the Legendaries in ORAS, so I can see them doing that again. Especially because of the Beasts, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and if not in Gen 7, the Tapus.

Cosmog, the UBs, and Necrozma could be thrown in a UB quest if it isn't in Gen 7. They're not restricted to one place after all.

I agree. Hoopa portals are by far the best option. They could place Hoopa portals in random post-game locations, and then, as a reward for capturing every legendary from Hoopa's portals, you could then battle and capture Hoopa. Win/Win.

Don't really like the idea of Hoopa portals, I never did. They're just too phoned in and lazy. I'm fine with Ultra Space portals for UBs, but regular legendaries generally have more lore and backstory behind them so just randomly cramming them in places with no explanation feels like an injustice.

Yeah, I'm not too satisfied to this idea of "oh hey, there's a pokeyman who is creating portal for legendaries, go catch'em 'cause... yes". A bit of random lore would be cool to have. Like "oh, Latios is a smart Pokémon, which is the reason why you can find him near the library or sumfing i dunno." Not really hard to create a tidbit of explanation.
UNLESS, of course, it means you can go and capture Hoopa. Like, he created some trials for the players to finish, which is capturing a X number of legendaries, and the reward is being able to capture Hoopa himself.
I wouldn't mind that at all. If they do that, then they can throw a kjghpillion ring portals around and it would be fine by me.

They could place Hoopa portals in random post-game locations, and then, as a reward for capturing every legendary from Hoopa's portals, you could then battle and capture Hoopa.

I'm still disappointed ORAS didn't actually do something with Hoopa in-game, especially since they used his portals in the game. Maybe in the future, though.

Don't really like the idea of Hoopa portals, I never did. They're just too phoned in and lazy. I'm fine with Ultra Space portals for UBs, but regular legendaries generally have more lore and backstory behind them so just randomly cramming them in places with no explanation feels like an injustice.

I think the idea is fine for Legendaries that are supposed to be one-of-a-kind (Groudon & co, Dialga & co, Reshiram & co, Xerneas & co), don't have a reason to be active at the time (Reshiram/Zekrom should've been in their Light/Dark Stones if Hoopa didn't mess around), can't travel across the ocean (Entei/Raikou, the Musketeers), and whatever else.

I will say they could've easily not included Thundurus/Tornadus/Landorus, Heatran, and Cresslia with the Hoopa thing, so I don't think they should do it with every Legendary, just some of them.

I've complained about this before, I don't like how recently, the franchise has been using legendaries as gimmicks. The biggest offender is Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, where "Legendary Pokémon™ and Mythical Pokémon™ (are trademarks of The Pokémon Company © 1995 - 2015. All rights reserved.) are turning into stone", because that apparently makes the stakes inherently high. /rant

My point is, I don't like shoving legendaries into everything because usually, they don't actually do anything.

I've complained about this before, I don't like how recently, the franchise has been using legendaries as gimmicks. The biggest offender is Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon, where "Legendary Pokémon™ and Mythical Pokémon™ (are trademarks of The Pokémon Company © 1995 - 2015. All rights reserved.) are turning into stone", because that apparently makes the stakes inherently high. /rant

My point is, I don't like shoving legendaries into everything because usually, they don't actually do anything.

I wouldn't call RSE recent. ORAS yes, but not RSE. And the ship has already sailed considering we're discussing the potential remake of games where the villain already had designs on the local Legendary pokemon.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how annoying the whole "Legendaries as mascots/gimmicks" concepts are and the entire concept of mythicals (limited time pokemon that requires you to be at the right place at the right time mostly) are.

X and Y are more egregious with this IMO. In D/P Cyrus wanted Dialga and Palkia because they have control over metaphysical domains and Cyrus wanted that power to recreate the universe in his own stoic image, while the Lake Trio were needed to summon them and have more of a presence and role as a result. In X and Y? Lysandre wanted Xerneas and Yveltal because he needed a power source for the Ultimate Weapon (even though Yveltal's power of killing/petrifying everyone that is in Oblivion Wing's range would be more appropriate for his ambitions without the Weapon), they were basically a glorified battery to Team Flare.

Sun and Moon by contrast make Sogaleo and Lunala more important to the overall story and Lillie's arc in particular, but considering how Divisive she is to fans and that the Ultra Beasts Lusamine has been obsessed with lacked presence until Looker shows up, I understand if you think Sun and Moon falls into the same trap.

@Morningstar I wasn't referring to RSE specifically, but I liked how Sun and Moon made the legendaries feel important again. Unfortunately, since the Tapu are never called legendaries in-game, it only makes Solgaleo and Lunala being called legendaries stand out more.

I hope Sinnoh remake will be something like Platinum. The pokedex, The Giratina and Arceus Story, The Battle Frontier, Gym Leader Rematches, Team Galactic Post-story. Elite Four and Champion Rematch or they could do a Platinum remake instead (Which I doubt it). Tbh, I don't know how they'll pull off the Sinnoh remake, because DP have some problems, but it was fixed in Platinum, GF always remake the originals and they don't touch the Third Games. I don't know how they'll pull it off with Sinnoh

Pokémon direct later on today at 10 am eastern 7am pacific. Maybe the remakes or Stars gets a release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom