• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why Females (Girls, & Women) cannot win Pokemon League?

Well, This also a very well idea; so the reason of this thread, is to see you opinions about the girls in the Anime. What do you think of the Losing To Brandon made you unbeatable, and only lose to Cynthia, Brandon, or to Ash in the League. Also win 6-2./?

I like Cynthia, so I liked seeing that it was her who taught a lesson in humility to Paul.
I would like to see how she won the Sinnoh League.
As Tobias winning 2-6 was done in a trolling way.

Do you know that this show is aimed at 10-year olds?

EDIT: I also think that this thread should be merged into gender representation one.

Yes, yes, I know. I said "mistreat", not "(physically) assault". Just keep out the physical violence and things should stay PG at worst.

As a late response for Iris and the BW League, they could have just made Ash sit out from Gym/League battles for that particular arc and be relegated to a mentor role to Iris. In fact, considering that the PWT was in the BW2 games, Ash could have participated in that instead of the Unova League - or any other postgame battle facility from the games. Considering what Ash had to go through in the Sinnoh league, I don't think that would be much of a stretch. That would have given the heroine some league battle roles, while avoiding the dilemma of whether she should (not) beat Ash. It could also give us an excuse to introduce Hilda as an actual rival in the PWT too.

As for Diantha/Cynthia, perhaps maybe a series of special episodes featuring the current champion in their younger days and how they came up to being the Champions they are? There could have been similar things with Battle Facility heads like Anabel too. Alternately, for the purpose of this exercise, a special series in how Misty or any other prominent female Gym Leaders got their gym authorities?

Last edited:
I like Cynthia, so I liked seeing that it was her who taught a lesson in humility to Paul.
I would like to see how she won the Sinnoh League.
As Tobias winning 2-6 was done in a trolling way.

Right, she gave to him the lesson, but he still won the entire matches, and that only because his brother was lost to Brandon, so don't you think that it is so so so so so stupid reason. Even Barchalona, and Real Madrid didn't do it in the La liga Football. anyway, I do love Cynthia, and So much also.

Also, glad that you liked my answers, and nice to meet you my friend. Also, I do think that The Idea of Contests back in the Off screen; because Serena goes to heonn for competing in contests. Also, I always thought that the kalos queen had the same ideas of contests

This idea from you "Also, if you get Champion Ash, you can have a female E4 member trying to beat him. Then maybe she heard him and becomes Champion, and gave Ash train and beat her." is so so so so so well idea

Right, she gave to him the lesson, but he still won the entire matches, and that only because his brother was lost to Brandon, so don't you think that it is so so so so so stupid reason. Even Barchalona, and Real Madrid didn't do it in the La liga Football. anyway, I do love Cynthia, and So much also.

Also, glad that you liked my answers, and nice to meet you my friend. Also, I do think that The Idea of Contests back in the Off screen; because Serena goes to heonn for competing in contests. Also, I always thought that the kalos queen had the same ideas of contests

This idea from you "Also, if you get Champion Ash, you can have a female E4 member trying to beat him. Then maybe she heard him and becomes Champion, and gave Ash train and beat her." is so so so so so well idea

I think Paul was a bit OP. I didn't like how he won 6-0 against Barry.

I didn't like most of his matches when he won the matches. Anyway, it better to back to the ideas of girls in the anime; because there is moderator post for that

Misty sought to become an E4 member without caring about the Conference.

When did Misty ever say she wanted to become an Elite 4 member? I've watched through the original series a few times and that has never come up. She was a fan of Prima, but because she used a lot of Water Pokemon, not because she wanted to be an Elite 4 member. All Misty ever wanted to do was to become a Water Pokemon Master and then later on the best Gym Leader she could be. Nothing about wanting to be a member of the Elite 4 ever came up for Misty, so I am confused why you thought that actually happened.

QueenEevee said:
@Hidden Mew I did some Contests in ORAS. I can tell you they are less predictable than Gym Battles. Then the anime added time-limited Contest battles, where you also need to show your Pokémon's cuteness and stuff. That's what Serena should have been given as a goal.

And yes, a female who beat Ash at the League would be ill-received on the Internet. I dunno how the target audience would have seen it, maybe they still don't care much about female representation.

I've played Contests in the games too and they are less predictable than the Gym battles. Granted, I've never been a huge fan of how Contests work in the game, mainly because it isn't quite as interesting as watching Pokemon battle, but OR/AS at least made it a bit flashier and the anime did make some great improvements to the sidequest to make it more engaging. I agree that Serena should have been a Coordinator from the start, but they made their choice with Showcases for better or for worse. I'm not sure how the target audience would feel about a female trainer beating Ash at the League. Girls might not like, but I have a feeling that most of the boys watching wouldn't really care all that much. I don't think that they'd hate it as much as people on the Internet would at least.

That was still a three on three match, so he only beat Barry three to zero. Full battles didn't even start in the Sinnoh League until they got to the Top eight. Barry should have won at least one of those battles in that match, but I don't think that made Paul too overpowered by itself.

And there be the problem. No matter what series he'll be in, Ash always occupies the main player's goal as he is the main protagonist of the show. Could the girls partaken Gym Battles and fight the League? Yes, of course. But it creates a redundancy as those female trainers will have to battle the same Gym Leaders as Ash, and it will get repetitive seeing two of the same Gym Battles at very least.
They at least could give his female rivals some dignity, but no. They're all joke characters who could never stand against him.
That's true, which is why I said "subsided a bit" instead of"has been completely fixed". The big difference is Sun&Moon doesn't have this weird, subtle "girls should just stick to dressing up, baking things, and looking pretty while the boys do the hardcore, epic battling" message like XY had.
I completely disagree. XY had Corni and she's both competent and battle oriented female character. Eureka was also shown as interested in battling and even tried to battle once or more. Even Serena wasn't any less of a battler compared to the current cast. What does SM even have? I mean look at them:
Screenshot_2017-04-02-21-32-16-1.png

Last edited:
I say it's a great time to start. Let Alola's first Champion be a female!

Yes, I do hope that girl wins in the ALOLA

I completely disagree. XY had Corni and she's both competent and battle oriented female character. Eureka was also shown as interested in battling and even tried to battle once or more. Even Serena wasn't any less of a battler compared to the current cast. What does SM even have? I mean look at them:

They are new players, new students so they don't know a lot aboout battling. But Corni was a good battler, and I do love her. She is so cute, her voices in DUb, and Sub are good

And Serena shows a good battle in the episode when she disguised as Ash

Let's not forget that the best Champion is a female: Queen Cynthia.

Yes, so I said in the thread this thing: "Sure, you can say that there are two champions who are women such as Cynthia, and diancie, but we in reality didn't saw them won; because also Walace, and Mister Adan the Final Gym leader in Hoenn did one before; so I did this thread"

maybe in future they let Ash and a female rival/companion take gyms on one by one, then we could get 16 (3vs3) interesting battles before the league.

maybe in future they let Ash and a female rival/companion take gyms on one by one, then we could get 16 (3vs3) interesting battles before the league.
Well, it's a nice idea

That would be boring in fairness. We would see them both face the same gym leaders in a row using the same Pokemon and strategies? no thanks.

I'm not sure how the target audience would feel about a female trainer beating Ash at the League. Girls might not like, but I have a feeling that most of the boys watching wouldn't really care all that much.
The gender of whoever beats Ash isn't the problem. It's the fact that Ash loses is the problem. The writers can have Ash lose to anyone at the league and whoever watches it isn't going to like it. I've said it multiple times that kids root for their favorite characters - which mostly is the hero, the star of the show. Kids want Superman to win; kids want Wonder Woman to win; and whoever beats them is the horrible villain and deserves to be hated on regardless of their age, gender, or race. The writers can say all they want that they want Ash to learn from his mistakes and teach the viewers that's the more important life lesson (never giving up after a loss or something like that) - but those messages are only delivered after the league, and for the tournament, kids root for Ash and they want Ash to win.

The older fans are probably not going to mind whoever beats Ash next, but kids aren't going to like whoever crushes their hero character, whether its a girl or a boy. Heck, hypothetically, if Ash somehow made it to the Champion's league and lost to Cynthia, kids would hate on her - not because she's a female - but because she made the star of the show lose and deprived of him the trophy he desired so much and worked so hard to achieve. The target audience relates to Ash and sides with Ash; and Ash's failure is going to be disappointing while the opponent's triumph would be unsatisfying.

I wouldn't mind a female character winning the league - but I'm not sure if I want to see the winning female character getting all the hate from the kids and the internet once she beats Ash at the league. There would be fans who like her - since there's people like me who like Alain - but the overwhelming majority isn't going to like Ash's loss and the opponent who caused it regardless of their gender.

That would be boring in fairness. We would see them both face the same gym leaders in a row using the same Pokemon and strategies? no thanks.

ًWell, this is a so good idea, I do agree with you here

why the same?
the gym leader would have 3 good pokemon , together 12 moves to choice.
If there would be a day or two pause between battles , for one we could get a mega, while the other could be a diffrent kind.
+ gym leaders would change strategy depending on oponent and pokemon they battle.
mostly in games we had gym leaders with more pokemon that werent used then in the anime.
+ many pokemon would need to appear.

In XY the fairy gym didnt use two good fairy type pokemon like Mr Mime and Mawile.

In Diamond and Pearl the fighting type gym and Dawn were ok or not?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom