• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Future pricing for Pokemon on Switch: 40 or 60?

Future Pricing: What do you think?

• Two initial versions at $40 each. Preexisting Price

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Two initial versions at $60 each.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • One version for $60 Dollars

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other/ 1 or 2 versions somewhere in between ($50?)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

PartTimePokemonMaster

Part Time Pokémon Master
Reaction score
In the context of another post, @Harmful Heron suggested that future Pokemon games on Switch may have three options for pricing. I wanted to discuss this further, and get your opinions on this matter.

If gen VIII is the first Switch games they have three options:

A) Release two different versions at $40 dollars
B) Do away with the Version concept and release one game at $60
C) Release two different versions at $60 dollars.

It should be noted that the Switch would allow you to have multiple saves. So say they go with option B they would have their work cut out for them making up for the previously mandatory trading but more importantly they would have only one last opportunity to use the version concept so I can understand them wanting to milk it by having two "third versions".

Granted I hope I'm getting more content.

Do you all think they will increase the price to accommodate for the extra manpower needed to develop a console level Pokemon game? Do you think that they can survive a price increase, especially if they maintain dual versions?

I'm flattered you made this thread. I would like to clarify that I do think a $50 dollar price point was possible I just feel the need to mention it for simplicity's sake.

Anyhow as for myself I'm conflicted. I can see Gamefreak not seeing the need to go as far as they can with the Switch graphically for there first game but I can easily see it becoming something they are pressured to do by the masses over time.

The reason I felt the need to mention the save data thing is Gamefreak wants you to only have one save file so a few people will have an extra insensitive to get both versions, spend the money on pokebank and trading. With multiple saves starters, fossils and legendaries become less valueable. As such Gamefreak has to choose weather to hold on to importance of trading that versions have, come up new things or simply give up and raise the price on each game along with the graphics.

I'm flattered you made this thread. I would like to clarify that I do think a $50 dollar price point was possible I just feel the need to mention it for simplicity's sake.

Anyhow as for myself I'm conflicted. I can see Gamefreak not seeing the need to go as far as they can with the Switch graphically for there first game but I can easily see it becoming something they are pressured to do by the masses over time.

The reason I felt the need to mention the save data thing is Gamefreak wants you to only have one save file so a few people will have an extra insensitive to get both versions, spend the money on pokebank and trading. With multiple saves starters, fossils and legendaries become less valueable. As such Gamefreak has to choose weather to hold on to importance of trading that versions have, come up new things or simply give up and raise the price on each game along with the graphics.
Yeah, I can understand that. I feel similarly in that I'm conflicted. With multiple saves there is a chance that they could reduce the need of multiple copies of the game by adding each Pokemon to bank. At the same time, they may employ checks so that only the most recent version of the save would be able to access the bank. That would hamper work arounds.

Also, the benefits to dual versions has been version exclusive Pokemon primarily. I don't see that being as sweet for people if they release the games for $60 each. Now it would cost $80 for both copies initially, but then it would jump to $120. I don't see that going over well with fans, but I could see GF/Nintendo justifying the price jump.

The $50 price point sounds about right, given that Pokemon is not necessarily a high-end title. I imagine that hitting this is optimal given that Pokemon will become graphically better than before, but not too expensive due to having two versions in the initial run (some people wants both versions).

Thanks for reading.

The $50 price point sounds about right, given that Pokemon is not necessarily a high-end title. I imagine that hitting this is optimal given that Pokemon will become graphically better than before, but not too expensive due to having two versions in the initial run (some people wants both versions).

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for sharing. I hope that the price doesn't go over 50, but I'm sure they don't want to upset their most dedicated fanbase.

I'm sure that there will be a bundle pack. They tend to do that whenever a new main series Pokemon game comes out. The idea of a special edition Switch console for Pokemon is also a cool possibility. I suspect that the games will be priced a bit higher than they are for the 3DS, if only because they'll be on a different more expensive system, but they'll also want to make sure it isn't too high at the same time. If it's too expensive, that might make it harder for parents to buy them for their kids. Forty dollars a piece would be ideal, but fifty is probably more likely.

I'm sure that there will be a bundle pack. They tend to do that whenever a new main series Pokemon game comes out. The idea of a special edition Switch console for Pokemon is also a cool possibility. I suspect that the games will be priced a bit higher than they are for the 3DS, if only because they'll be on a different more expensive system, but they'll also want to make sure it isn't too high at the same time. If it's too expensive, that might make it harder for parents to buy them for their kids. Forty dollars a piece would be ideal, but fifty is probably more likely.

There was a bundle last year for SM and the 2DS, but it was only available in Europe.

I think Nintendo will make a Switch mini a la 2DS, with no detachable controllers and compactible with all the present accessories, and bundle it with the Pokemon Games to convince the people who think that the Switch is STILL not succeeding the 3DS (yes, there are people who still think so).

My optimal scenario (aka what probably won't happen but I hope would =P) would be that they ditch the multiple versions and make a single one, altering their approach. This version would have full HD visuals and lots of content, as well as lots of changes and new mechanics. Essentially, Pokemon in home console quality.

I can see that having a well-justified price tag of $60.

I'm thinking $60 for each game. Nintendo 3DS usually be $40 for each game like Sun/Moon because it's a handheld game targeting for kid (now I'm going to pay another $80 for UltraSun/UltraMoon). Nintendo Switch is a Console game also, so it would make since to increase the price, like how Xbox One, PS4 game usually cost $60. Nintendo Switch are targeting adult, since they can afford it for kids, especially paying $300 for a system (Though, they'll be a smaller cheaper version of Switch for kids)

Well Pokemon games used to be $35 on older consoles and they raised it to $40 (that started on the 3DS IIRC). So they're probably not going to make an exception for Pokemon, they'll just make it $60 like everything else.

What I'm more interested in as far as Pokemon's business model is whether or not they're going to start doing DLC. They really should start doing DLC for third versions instead of forcing you to get a completely different version. They could also do traditional updated versions that include the original game and the DLC content for people that didn't get the original, but offer the opportunity to upgrade your original version if you already own the original version. They could probably make a lot more money that way, since the amount of people that would be more willing to pay for DLC than another version may outweigh the loss of revenue from not charging for a full game.

Well Pokemon games used to be $35 on older consoles and they raised it to $40 (that started on the 3DS IIRC). So they're probably not going to make an exception for Pokemon, they'll just make it $60 like everything else.

What I'm more interested in as far as Pokemon's business model is whether or not they're going to start doing DLC. They really should start doing DLC for third versions instead of forcing you to get a completely different version. They could also do traditional updated versions that include the original game and the DLC content for people that didn't get the original, but offer the opportunity to upgrade your original version if you already own the original version. They could probably make a lot more money that way, since the amount of people that would be more willing to pay for DLC than another version may outweigh the loss of revenue from not charging for a full game.

I'm not sure that "true" DLC is the solutions to third versions. I fear that you'll end up with one of two possibilities: 1) you have truly exclusive DLC, but you won't be able to use those moves/forms/pokemon/items against players who don't have the DLC (which is the same as what we already have) or 2) you have all the data in the game and it is only unlocked with a purchase (which is worse to me than what they currently do with events) and you run the risk of people unlocking what you've already paid for. It makes me think of the Yo-Kai Watch series and that had DLC exclusive Yo-Kai that were unlocked upon purchase.

That being said. I could see your point of implementing this instead of third version, which would probably be cheaper. Also, the exclusivity of those DLC would probably be enticing to most people who would pay for the third version. I don't think they should implement it as paid DLC, as it just feels wrong. I could not imagine paying to have move tutors added to the game. Especially if the games jump up to $60 a piece (I'm a broke handheld gamer :unsure::ROFLMAO:). I am more a fan of remakes that have the bonus features similar to XY -> ORAS rather than third versions. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Games in Canada are usually 10 dollars more (rounded down) than compared to US pricing. People complained about Super Bomberman R being 60 dollars, but here in Canada, I had to pay 70.
The higher taxes contributes too. I still don't think it's that expensive, compared to the abusive prices in my homeland xD

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom