• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Confirmed: Core Pokemon on Switch

Now this, THIS is the news I was waiting to hear...!

Pretty much been running with this line everywhere I go but hey, the truth. Besides, we're told it's a new core game but that's it. Either way, said game will be the testing ground to whatever may come from here on out. It could be a super expanded Alola game Gen 8 (too soon me feels) or something else relevant to the main titles.

So long as it has nothing to do with Kanto I'm chill.

Sweet IMHO although i myself expect a early to late 2019 for release date.

as i expect them to possibly wrap up gen 7 next year on the 3ds provided they don't flood the ultra games with all the old legionaries like ORAS were and the switch games to be the first gen 8 titles hopefully with complete bank support as well

This is most definitely 8th gen they're hinting. They haven't really done three sets of games in the same generation (with the exception of 1st gen, which was capitalizing on the massive popularity of Pikachu), and a new generation is the most logical game to start off new hardware with because it can really show what the new hardware can do and absorb the massive hit that will come from developing new assets.

As for when, they probably intend for 2018, but I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be delayed into 2019 when they run into the same kind of struggles that every developer goes through when transitioning to HD.

As for when, they probably intend for 2018, but I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be delayed into 2019 when they run into the same kind of struggles that every developer goes through when transitioning to HD.
Precisely. I have no idea what makes them think they can actually release the games at the end of next year when Pokemon has not even been close to HD for two decades. If they didn't hire at least 50 employees since last year when they reported their total of 108, their 2018 projection is nothing but overconfidence.

For those who are worried about the price, its likely by 2018 or 2019 we'll start to see price drops for the Switch, or MAYBE a smaller, less expensive version.

Exactly. By then there will be a price drop, and a cheaper version like the 2DS would probably make its way to the market. I'm hoping for that :)

And I am rather surprised with this announcement. it hasn't even been a month since USUM was announced and they're already mentioning that a Switch pokemon core game is on its way? Pokemon moving on to the Switch is inevitable - yes - but couldn't they have waited till after USUM's release?

Precisely. I have no idea what makes them think they can actually release the games at the end of next year when Pokemon has not even been close to HD for two decades. If they didn't hire at least 50 employees since last year when they reported their total of 108, their 2018 projection is nothing but overconfidence.

Nobody ever said that Gamefreak thinks they can release the games by next year. The only thing they said is that it may not be released for more than a year. Going by their words, a 2018 release is possible, however, so is every other year after that. At this point, Gamefreak doesn't think anything regarding when it will be released.

Exactly. By then there will be a price drop, and a cheaper version like the 2DS would probably make its way to the market. I'm hoping for that :)

And I am rather surprised with this announcement. it hasn't even been a month since USUM was announced and they're already mentioning that a Switch pokemon core game is on its way? Pokemon moving on to the Switch is inevitable - yes - but couldn't they have waited till after USUM's release?

In my opinion it barely makes any difference at all. It seems most people have already made up their mind whether they are going to get USUM or not, and telling us that a new core series game (likely Gen 8) isn't going to change anything.

Nobody ever said that Gamefreak thinks they can release the games by next year. The only thing they said is that it may not be released for more than a year. Going by their words, a 2018 release is possible, however, so is every other year after that. At this point, Gamefreak doesn't think anything regarding when it will be released.
If that was true, they wouldn't be estimating like this. They would just say "we're still a ways off from release."

Personally happy with the announcement. I'm done with Sun/Moon and anything related to it. This won't take away anything from USUM either since it's likely to be a year or two before we hear more about this.

Australia region please.

There is no more event Pokemon left for gen vii, next year's movie will probably star a gen viii pokemon and the viii games will release at fall

That is basically what they said. They said it probably won't be released for MORE than a year. They did not say it will probably be released within a year.

more than a year is still 2018 since it's June and the games usually release in october/novemberso that's still more than a year :p

To be fair more than a year could be technically fall of next year at earliest, but that's just playing semantics. That being said I think the earliest we'll be getting the games is Spring 2019. Prolly not any earlier than that.

This is the announcement that I am waiting, a confirmation of a main series Pokémon game in the works for the Nintendo Switch.

I know some of you here believe that it would be released sometime in 2018, but I believe that it will be released in 2019. They will use 2018 as the year where they will focus more on making the Switch game. I guess that's the reason why they will give us Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, for players to play a new game while Game Freak makes the Switch core Pokémon game.

I also believe this will be Generation VIII, it is the most logical game when they will release a Pokémon game for the first time on a new console, to attract more players and help with the sales of that console. There will be price drops for the Nintendo Switch and it is very possible that Nintendo will make a mini or portable version of the Switch, I just hope Nintendo won't downgrade the specifications of the Switch Mini, just make the size smaller and the price less expensive.

But I wonder what will be the theme for Generation VIII. Will it expand more on the concept of Ultra Beasts and the regional variants of old Pokémon, or will they just be Generation VII exclusive features? The announcement builds hype. :)

But I wonder what will be the theme for Generation VIII. Will it expand more on the concept of Ultra Beasts and the regional variants of old Pokémon, or will they just be Generation VII exclusive features?
The latter.

Remember when everyone assumed that X/Y would have seasons? Remember when everyone thought that Mega Pokemon would be expanded on in S/M? Same thing with Ultra Beasts and regional forms. Those are just going to be a feature of S/M and nothing more.

There is no more event Pokemon left for gen vii, next year's movie will probably star a gen viii pokemon and the viii games will release at fall

more than a year is still 2018 since it's June and the games usually release in october/novemberso that's still more than a year :p

Obviously, however, for some reason, they took that as an assumption that Gamefreak themselves were expecting it to be released by next year. I was pointing out that that was not the case at all, and that more than a year can mean any amount of time after a year, not just late 2018.

I could see UBs and variant making a return tho.At least the UBs anyway. the UBs are very story specific so I can't say they're too easy to just dump off. As for the variants I really hope they continue them. They're one of the more interesting features they've added to the games in a while lol

Personally happy with the announcement. I'm done with Sun/Moon and anything related to it. This won't take away anything from USUM either since it's likely to be a year or two before we hear more about this.

Australia region please.

Agreed. Except I want a Greenland region. Would be a nice contrast to the tropical theme which has already been done enough.

Yep, probably those were just exclusive features for Generation VII.

I also want them to make new Pokémon altogether, taking a break on making new formes for awhile. I also want them to make evolutions and pre-evolutions of old Pokémon again.

But I wonder what will be the theme for the next generation, and what will be the mascot Pokémon that will be featured in the next games. Will we get a glimpse of a Generation VIII Pokémon on the 21st Pokémon Movie?

Back
Top Bottom