• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Generation VIII Games Speculation

What do you think will be the basis of the next Region?

• South-East Asia (NOT including Japan)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Rest of Asia (EXCLUDING Japan)

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Somewhere in USA

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Somewhere in UK

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Somewhere in South Africa/Africa in General

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Somewhere in South America

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Any Other (Post to Tell)

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
I was thinking more along the lines of what @Defiant said. Moreover, I'd like a region that's somewhat based on the Roman Empire mixed in with the cultures of today that the space once occupied. Basically, imagine how the Roman Empire would fit into modern times, and you got an interesting new region for the Pokémon World!

Granted, it doesn't have to be based on the Roman Empire: I just want to see how Game Freak would modernize a nation that no longer exists. They've been trying to surprise us lately, and something like modernizing an extinct state would be a welcome surprise in my book!
It would be cool if regions could be based on time periods like there is mentioned above with the Roman Empire. Imagine walking around in prehistoric times or Ancient Egypt.
A region based on modern Italy mixed with historical period would be epic. Besides Italy, Greece could be perfect for it.

I wonder if Gen 8 will be released in 2019 or 2020.
More likely 2018 will be a break year and 2019 gen 8 will be released (for switch). Unless they decide to announce another main game in 2018, which is unlikely.

1996 - Red/Green
1997 -
1998 - Yellow
1999 - Gold/Silver
2000 - Crystal
2001 -
2002 - Ruby/Sapphire
2003 - FRLG (ok it was Jan 2004 but the rest were all November/December) so it basically is :p
2004 - Emerald
2005 -
2006 - Diamond/Pearl
2007 -
2008 - Platinum
2009 - HeartGold/SoulSilver
2010 - Black/White
2011 -
2012 - Black2/White2
2013 - XY
2014 - OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire
2015-
2016 - Sun/Moon
2017 - UltraSun/UltraMoon
2018 -

So with the 1 exception of Diamond & Pearl, the pattern seems to be 3 years in a row with a game each, then a break year. So we should get something in 2018 possibly DP remakes, possibly Gen 8. But of course there is also the caveat that GameFreak are breaking patterns, and the pattern does already have a break regarding DP.

Besides the obvious need for a game soon on the Switch, there is also the matter of the 2018 movie. Unless they add new mythicals in USUM that aren't in the data of SM they aren't going to have anything left to give out. Possibly an old mythical like how Celebi was in the Zoroark movie, or Mew was in the Lucario one, but that movie is going to need a star, and fans are going to want to get their hands on them that year.

Last edited:
So we should get something in 2018 possibly DP remakes, possibly Gen 8. But of course there is also the caveat that GameFreak are breaking patterns, and the pattern does already have a break regarding DP.

Super unlikely for them to release another gen 7 game in 2018. They need a break in a generation for production reasons and I am sure they won't span out this gen until 2020. USUM are probably the last games in this gen and on the 3DS in generell.

@Topic:

Italy

Because I am sick of tropical regions and Italy would be a nice mix between some more colder places (towns near the alpines) and hot places like Sicilia. But one of the main reasons would be the perfect template for a Sinnoh x new region connection. Sinnoh is all about the mythical gods of creation and the roman empire in Italy also have multiple roman gods.

Greece would be similiar but I found Italy to fit better.

Super unlikely for them to release another gen 7 game in 2018. They need a break in a generation for production reasons and I am sure they won't span out this gen until 2020. USUM are probably the last games in this gen and on the 3DS in generell.

@Topic:

Italy

Because I am sick of tropical regions and Italy would be a nice mix between some more colder places (towns near the alpines) and hot places like Sicilia. But one of the main reasons would be the perfect template for a Sinnoh x new region connection. Sinnoh is all about the mythical gods of creation and the roman empire in Italy also have multiple roman gods.

Greece would be similiar but I found Italy to fit better.

Oh Italy, after the perfume Pokemon doing the Cancan dance in Kalos, to the Hawaiian Lei Pokemon in Alola, I'm not looking forward to the Pizza Pokemon, or the Spaghetti & Meatball Pokemon.

Maybe Vanilluxe can have an Italian Regional Variant form? ;)

Walls_300x300_Cornetto-4xClassico92-1200701.png

Given that the last time Game Freak moved to a new platform, we got XY, maybe Game Freak should release Gen VIII in 2020 in order for the game to have a good quality

a mix of Africa (middle east, Egipt, nabi, hot deserts sahara) and Australia could work? think of it even two regions one based more on africa and the other more on australia.

Who thinks that gneration 11 and 12 will be a a combined region? 2 games with 2 sets of starters for each and then a cross game between tchem like they did with Kanto and Johto? theoretically they could do it in gen 8 and 9 if they wanted?

I want gen 8 to be based on a large country and not small ones.

I wonder if Gen VIII region will be based off China, just like Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh were based off Japan.

USA and Japan are always my favorite options for a Pokemon region.

If not, my bet is Brazil or China.

I really liked Alola being a bunch of islands, as opposed to a landmass, so...I wouldn't mind a region based on the Philippines or Indonesia.

Here's a thought I had: why not have the dialogue have a bigger impact on the story? For example, behaving rude to a character may yield different effects than to being friendly.

If GF want to emphasise on this, they could (in my dreams) create a story which has HEAVY impact from dialogue: like having different ending sequences.

Here's a thought I had: why not have the dialogue have a bigger impact on the story? For example, behaving rude to a character may yield different effects than to being friendly.

If GF want to emphasise on this, they could (in my dreams) create a story which has HEAVY impact from dialogue: like having different ending sequences.

We can dream <3

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom