• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
Just totally spit-balling here, but I think a Kanto/Johto focused game on the Switch would sell like hotcakes. New and old all wrapped into something that doesn't need to bust out a ton of new features to capture fans' attention. I'm expecting a holiday 2018 release date (with marketing efforts beginning ~5 months after USUM's release, likely in April to May, no later than E3 2018). It might also serve as a bridge to a fuller Generation VIII title (likely on the Switch as well) in 2020 or so.

Realistic? I don't know. Is it possible? I think so.

Not to imply that a Generation VIII game wouldn't sell as well, but with XY's execution, it wasn't worth starting an entirely new generation as an entry into a new console. In my opinion, at least.

I'm also a proponent of a "reboot" of sorts. There can only be so many monsters before the list becomes saturated with more of the same. I understand new Pokemon sell games, but the more monsters there are, the less value each begins to hold -- and I think that value begins to drop significantly should it soon exceed 1000. Again, that may just be me.

Case in point: Let's start over with a few new twists in the original story, re-imagined for a home console with HD graphics and all of the features added to the series since FRLG. I'd rather that than an XY v2.0.

I had my doubts about the possibility of a Kanto-Johto game coming so soon but I guess your post pretty much convinced me of how it could happen. If they had to revisit their old IP for their first game on a new console, the only logical conclusion would be Kanto-Johto. It's either Kanto-Johto or a whole new region. And I think it's really debatable which one can sell more.

However, if it's a Kanto-Johto game then I guess it would be considered Gen 7 still and in that case, I hope it'll be fully compatible with SM/USUM. I'd like it to be backwards compatible with SM/USUM even if it means that there'll be no new features at all (i.e. no new forms/megas/z-moves etc) which I honestly think is fine provided they change the story up completely, update all the gyms with new rosters (i.e., let the gym leaders have megas and z-moves etc) and also update the pokemon found in the wild so as to include pokemon from later generations too. Maybe if they do include new features they can also create patches for SM/USUM to update them so that these new stuff become available? I'm just not sure how the Switch would overlap with the 3DS. The change from DS to 3DS clearly makes the DS obsolete but I'm not sure about the Switch seems it appears to be meant for a very different gaming experience. Another possibility is that this new game is a cross platform game made for both 3DS and Switch?

What I really hope is that they make the mythicals available in-game. Come on, it's been years. Make them a little more accessible now....

Anyway... 4th gen remakes/sequels as the first game on Switch..? That's just not going to happen. Ever.

A Switch game can definitely be compatible with 3DS ones. We know that online communication (trades and battles) can work, and likewise for local trades. The only potential issue is local battles, which probably can't work directly between 3DS and Switch... But a very simple solution would be to adopt the Stadium method of sending data from the handheld (3DS in this case) to the console (Switch) and have both players use Switch controllers.

As for adding the new content to the Alola games... Going by ORAS, they have no interest in full compatibility, since they want new games (even mid-generation ones) to have exclusive content.

Lastly, a cross-platform release could work, but that would make the E3 announcement pretty misleading. It's safe to say that they want players to move onto the Switch by the end of 2018, even if it is not for a new generation. Since it might be too early for kids to get a Switch then, one could argue that a new generation is not the way to go but rather games with a strong appeal to adults (including Go players - Nintendo views mobile games as a way to attract people to their consoles). Kids will get a Switch eventually and have USUM to tide them over, which would explain the kid-oriented marketing and Pokken being billed as the alternative for adults.

Oh, and I doubt that many people are hungry for new Pokemon or mechanics just yet.

Last edited:
As for adding the new content to the Alola games... Going by ORAS, they have no interest in full compatibility, since they want new games (even mid-generation ones) to have exclusive content.

And to get people to keep buying new games as well... Urgh I guess it's for the good since it opens up the possibility of new features like my Mega Wigglytuff.

Lastly, a cross-platform release could work, but that would make the E3 announcement pretty misleading. It's safe to say that they want players to move onto the Switch by the end of 2018, even if it is not for a new generation.

This makes me so sad. I don't want to have to give up my tiny misty pink 3DS. Everything else is so big and I hate all of it.

It's only been four years for me and none of the upcoming games interest me (except for Lady Layton, somewhat, which will be released on mobile first for cheaper). Hell, SM are the only 3DS-exclusive games that left a positive impression on me.

I am going to be very selective before I buy a Switch. A rushed generation no better than XY wouldn't cut it.

Last edited:
The outrage on the release of UltraSM proves that there is a market for Pokemon games on the Switch.

I wouldn't say it was an outrage. That sounds a bit too melodramatic, especially when the backlash is way too similar to when B2/W2 were revealed. Besides that, weren't people already expecting/hoping for a main series Switch title before US/UM were revealed? Most people seemed to be hoping for either D/P remakes or a Switch title, or at least those were the main hopes I remember seeing before the Direct announcement. People wanted Stars as a Sun/Moon port for the Switch, so I don't think that the negative backlash proves anything like that.

Besides all that, of course there's a market for Pokemon games on the Switch. When the system was announced, people loved the idea of Pokemon games being made for a console level system instead of another handheld system. Granted, I'm still hoping that they'll make a portable only version of the Switch, if only so I can have an easier time affording one and I'd want to play it as a handheld system anyway, but the idea of a main series game being on a console system would appeal to a lot of fans. Nintendo and Game Freak didn't need to see people being upset over US/UM in order to figure that one out.

I hope it's Gen 8.

I've probably mentioned this lots of times before lol; but I want them to push the franchise onto a new, bigger direction. The Switch is the perfect platform to do that, move the series from handheld quality to home console quality and budget to match. A big world to explore, maybe something similar to Super Mario Odyssey's system of instead of having a single open world, to travel to multiple different, smaller but still sizeable and highly detailed regions. Revamping other gameplay mechanics and story cliches while still remaining "Pokemon" at it's core.

I wouldn't say it was an outrage. That sounds a bit too melodramatic, especially when the backlash is way too similar to when B2/W2 were revealed. Besides that, weren't people already expecting/hoping for a main series Switch title before US/UM were revealed? Most people seemed to be hoping for either D/P remakes or a Switch title, or at least those were the main hopes I remember seeing before the Direct announcement. People wanted Stars as a Sun/Moon port for the Switch, so I don't think that the negative backlash proves anything like that.

I always classed BW2 as a different case since due to Backwards Compactiblity, they were basically releases for both systems.
I mostly agree with your points there. And I think there might be a subset of fanbase that'd complain that EVERY announcement they could possibly make in the direct.

I always classed BW2 as a different case since due to Backwards Compactiblity, they were basically releases for both systems.
I mostly agree with your points there. And I think there might be a subset of fanbase that'd complain that EVERY announcement they could possibly make in the direct.

I'm not sure if too many people really thought of it that way. They were still DS games. Being playable on a 3DS system doesn't really change that. If the Switch could play 3DS games somehow, I don't think people would have been less upset over US/UM being on the 3DS instead. Although, I agree that there's usually at least some amount of complaining for most announcements.

I don't know why people are complaining about US/UM being on 3DS, instead of Switch. Especially the fans complaining about not getting DP Remake. Do you think that GF would make a move on putting Pokemon Main Series game on Switch already, The whole purpose of the "Star" rumor was to get the fans hype on Pokemon game on Switch. The codename "Stars" was for US/UM, I think they were planning on putting US/UM on Switch, to make it Cross-Platform play, but realized that TPC and GF wasn't intend to putting on Switch at all. I think it's necessary to wait for Gen VIII for Switch, I don't think it'll be in 2018, because it's too soon for Gen VIII right now, they wouldn't rush a new generation already just because the fans demands them. Tsunekazu Ishihara did say that Pokemon game on Switch will be coming in a "year or more", I don't think he's indicating on Gen VIII coming. Unless another game can be introduce on Switch, like Diamond/Pearl Remake or Kanto/Johto Sequels, But I doubt it, the purpose of a new system, is too introduce a Generation. For Example, they wait till 2006 to release DP on DS and they waited till 2013 to release XY on 3DS, So I don't think introducing a Remake or a Sequel won a system will start things off.

While some of the quotes about the timeframe for the game are ambiguous, the following one is pretty clear:

Reggie Fils-Aimé: The response to what we've showcased, and it really is just a small tip for 2018, has been exceptionally positive. You've got fans seeing Metroid Prime 4, hearing that Mr. Tanabe, who's been involved in all of the Metroid Prime games, is going to be at the helm of that, the fans are tremendously excited. To hear that there's going to be a core Pokémon RPG experience on the Nintendo Switch, the fans are incredibly excited. To see a traditional Kirby experience, with him inhaling enemies and copying abilities, fans are excited about that. And then the Yoshi game that we showcased, with that unique, you know, motion to go "behind-the-scenes," so to speak, has people really intrigued. So just by showcasing those four games, and giving a little bit of a taste, yeah there's a lot of excitement to what 2018 can hold.

Reggie is a PR guy who is usually very careful with his language. What he's saying here is that these four games, including Pokemon, are potential 2018 titles. So that should mean that Game Freak are actually aiming for 2018; a lot of people are no doubt going to be disappointed if 2018 turns out to be a gap year.

I wonder why they're aiming for 2018 for Pokemon game, Probably it's Gen VIII, I doubt it, they wouldn't rush it into a new generation already. Unless they've been working on it since the release of Sun/Moon.

I wonder why they're aiming for 2018 for Pokemon game, Probably it's Gen VIII, I doubt it, they wouldn't rush it into a new generation already. Unless they've been working on it since the release of Sun/Moon.

No way is 2 years enough time to develop a new generation on a new console. I feel if it were Gen VIII, GF would've never even hoped or suggested a 2018 release. I think a return to Kanto and Johto is most likely at this point.

My theory is they may had been working with Generation VIII when they announced the Sun and Moon games in 2016, possibly in its early conceptualization stage (conceptualizing the new region, the theme, the story, new characters, new Pokémon) during that time, continuing during the information reveal of the Generation VII games.

They possibly had begun developing the software when Game Freak received the Switch development kits around November or December of 2016. Game Freak hired 3D artists in 2017.

So with that time frame, I guess Game Freak can possibly release the Generation VIII games around 2018 or the first quarter of 2019. That's just my theory.

My theory is they may had been working with Generation VIII when they announced the Sun and Moon games in 2016, possibly in its early conceptualization stage (conceptualizing the new region, the theme, the story, new characters, new Pokémon) during that time, continuing during the information reveal of the Generation VII games.

They possibly had begun developing the software when Game Freak received the Switch development kits around November or December of 2016. Game Freak hired 3D artists in 2017.

So with that time frame, I guess Game Freak can possibly release the Generation VIII games around 2018 or the first quarter of 2019. That's just my theory.

Impossible. A new generation on a new HD console will take way longer than you're thinking. Gen VIII would take a minimum of 3 years, more likely 4 if we want something good. You're suggesting a mere 2 years, which is ludicrous. Chances are we'll get a non-Gen VIII game in 2018, have a break year in 2019, then Gen VIII 2020.

Impossible. A new generation on a new HD console will take way longer than you're thinking. Gen VIII would take a minimum of 3 years, more likely 4 if we want something good.

I think 4 years is stretching it. 3 years should be enough for 'something good' considering that they have some amount of HD assets. And Eurogamer had some amount of genuine sources, so it is possible that the Switch game was in the conceptual stage in 2016 alongside Sun and Moon. During the Sun and Moon release period, the games were put on halt to finish most of UltraSM, and now the development is purely for the Switch version.

Nintendo would want Gamefreak to get their things together for a Switch version immediately considering the fate of Wii U, so it isn't far-fetched to say that they rushed a Dev kit to Gamefreak in late 2015-early 2016.

3 years should be enough for 'something good' considering that they have some amount of HD assets.
I doubt this, but even if I were to grant the 3 year development time, that would mean the game would release in mid-late 2019, considering that development would've started around mid 2016 (early 2016, they were full steam on SM and probably only conceptualizing and planning Gen VIII). Given this, there's no way in hell GF would ever say they are planning and hoping to release the game in 2018. They said they want to release it in 2018 because that's what they're planning to do, and if this Switch game were Gen VIII, there'd be a near-zero chance of that, and they would know it too. In that case, they would've waited until next year to say anything, rather than potentially undercutting USUM.

Nintendo would want Gamefreak to get their things together for a Switch version

Nothing about this means Gen VIII. A Kanto+Johto revisit/sequel is more likely imo, and honestly it's far more fitting (both timing of development and resurgence in popularity largely due to GO).

Impossible. A new generation on a new HD console will take way longer than you're thinking. Gen VIII would take a minimum of 3 years, more likely 4 if we want something good. You're suggesting a mere 2 years, which is ludicrous. Chances are we'll get a non-Gen VIII game in 2018, have a break year in 2019, then Gen VIII 2020.

But we don't know how long they've been developing for the Switch. So for all we know they could have been developing for 4 years by the time 2018 rolls around.

Do you really think Nintendo will wait 3 years for their second biggest selling property to come to their latest console? They weren't happy when X/Y took 2 years to launch after the 3DS did. What makes you think they're going to be happy to wait now, when the stakes are arguably higher?

Chances are Nintendo are pushing for it so the Switch has another heavy hitter in its repertoire.

Gen VIII/the Switch title probably entered development before Sun/Moon even were announced, let alone released lmao.

As I've always said, there always lies the possibility that Kanto sequels were never a thing from the start. Pokemon GO having Gen I Pokemon for the start was the most logical thing to do for Niantic. 600-or so Pokemon weren't simply feasible for an infant application.

Back
Top Bottom