• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
But we don't know how long they've been developing for the Switch. So for all we know they could have been developing for 4 years by the time 2018 rolls around.

Uh, no. Dev kits for the Switch hadn't even been created in 2014. The absolute earliest were in mid-late 2015, so that statement is plain false. Even BOTW wasn't being converted into Switch format until early 2016. Which means they couldn't have started development until probably early 2016, which makes a late 2018 release 2.5 years at best.

Do you really think Nintendo will wait 3 years for their second biggest selling property to come to their latest console?

No. I don't believe anybody does--that's ridiculous. The Switch released in March 2017. Pokemon will likely be on the Switch in November 2018. That's about 1.5 years.

They weren't happy when X/Y took 2 years to launch after the 3DS did. What makes you think they're going to be happy to wait now, when the stakes are arguably higher?

Again, I never stated anything of this nature. Actually, I believe the wait will be less than it was for XY. XY was a 2.5 year wait. Our first Pokemon Switch game will likely be a whole year less at 1.5 years. All I'm saying is it won't be Gen VIII.

Gen VIII/the Switch title probably entered development before Sun/Moon even were announced, let alone released lmao.

Obviously. Of course they started development earlier, probably mid-2016 during SM's pre-release season. They could've had a few people starting work on Gen VIII in early 2016 before SM were announced, but it was likely a small group working on concepts and planning, mostly.

As I've always said, there always lies the possibility that Kanto sequels were never a thing from the start. Pokemon GO having Gen I Pokemon for the start was the most logical thing to do for Niantic. 600-or so Pokemon weren't simply feasible for an infant application.

Your point is? It doesn't matter what Niantic did at all. It's not like they would've ever been into these kinds of plans, and of course they started with the originals.

What matters is the effect it had on the populace--the resurging growth that the Pokemon fanbase and reputation experienced. Bringing back old fans and introducing new ones to Pokemon, by the MILLIONS, is more than enough to influence plans--especially when the primary demographics of Pokemon are shifting to a slightly older audience (the same as GO) who grew up with Kanto and Johto. It's not conclusive, but it can't be ignored.

Last edited:
@DoctorWhy

Won't the devlopment for Kanto Sequels on the Switch require the same effort as creating Generation 8? They don't have to create new Pokemon, but they have to completely makeover the Kanto region, and do it in HD. That is not accounting any new forms which we may get. It also needs a story overhaul, which requires its own share of conceptual development.

and do it in HD.
It would be an upscaled version of the SM engine. One would hope for a bigger leap than that for the next generation.

Strictly speaking, SM are HD ready and downscaled to the 3DS' resolution. But just using that engine for the next generation would be fairly lazy.

@DoctorWhy

Won't the devlopment for Kanto Sequels on the Switch require the same effort as creating Generation 8? They don't have to create new Pokemon, but they have to completely makeover the Kanto region, and do it in HD. That is not accounting any new forms which we may get. It also needs a story overhaul, which requires its own share of conceptual development.

It would take less time than Gen VIII, and because it's largely familiar, there's a much smaller chance of it being a weak game. A new generation faces the pressure of defining, well, an entire generation. And a rushed, low quality generation released on Nintendo's newest console could be devastating for the series.

With Kanto, they don't have to...

• ...create a whole new region: yes, they have to remake Kanto in 3D. But, compared to a new region, this cuts weeks (if not a couple months) of conceptualization, drawing, designing, redesigning, balancing (routes and location types). A lot goes into making an entirely new region from scratch. They have to design every inch of it, whereas with Kanto they can largely rely on previous ideas and designs with fresh paint and put a couple new ones.
  • ...create new Pokemon: like you said, they wouldn't have to create a bunch of new Pokemon, which also saves time in multiple departments, including art/design as well as programming. And remember, Gen VIII would be a new engine, meaning they wouldn't only have to do new Pokemon, but they would also have to do new models for every character and trainer class, on top of the new region. The only assets that could possibly be reused are probably Pokemon, but I expect Gen VIII on the Switch to upgrade and update Pokemon models a bit more than their "HD proofing" holds them for.
  • ...create a new soundtrack: music takes a while to compose, and with an entirely new region comes tons of new music for every route, possibly every character, types of battles, etc. This might not seem like a huge difference, and maybe it isn't, but I expect it makes a noticeable difference compared to simply remastering/remixing old music.
  • ...create many new characters and story: yes, Kanto sequels would need some new characters and story, but probably not quite as much. The story can piggyback off of the original games (as well as SM and GSC/HGSS, potentially, if we see continued connections). I mean, look at B2W2. They didn't take very long to do, and they were sequels. Kanto/Johto sequels would likely be pretty similar in nature to B2W2, except in 3D and further distanced from the originals.
  • ...create a whole new engine. The Gen VII engine is readily available for a quick HD upgrade, but with a new generation, they'd have to make an entirely new engine specifically for the Switch. Gen VII's engine could be quickly transferred (and it also means Kanto sequels could've started development a bit earlier than Gen VIII, albeit with a skeleton crew as with most remakes/sequels).
  • ...rush. Kanto games could much more likely be completed by late 2018, as GF said they planned to do. And they might not even have to be rushed at all. But you can guarantee that a 2018 Gen VIII would have to be rushed as all hell, and I highly doubt they would announce it this year in that situation.
I'm no expert, but all of these shortcuts available to Kanto remakes likely saves multiple months (at least) compared to Gen VIII (and that's with a minimal Gen VIII--a full, high quality experience would take longer).

No. I don't believe anybody does--that's ridiculous. The Switch released in March 2017. Pokemon will likely be on the Switch in November 2018. That's about 1.5 years.

Again, I never stated anything of this nature. Actually, I believe the wait will be less than it was for XY. XY was a 2.5 year wait. Our first Pokemon Switch game will likely be a whole year less at 1.5 years. All I'm saying is it won't be Gen VIII.

Ah, now I'm with you. In your original post I quoted, I took it that you meant the 2018 game would be on 3DS. My bad.

Agree to disagree, and all that.

@DoctorWhy What about Sinnoh Remake, Does Sinnoh remake might take more effort into Gen VIII, I'm not saying they'll be new pokemon in DP Remake, but about the region, possibly new characters, and probably Sinnoh Variants. It's likely to see DP remake on Switch, because having DP remake on 3DS, will not cut it, especially DPPt are playable on 3DS. Also comparing the content between Platinum and HGSS.

@DoctorWhy What about Sinnoh Remake, Does Sinnoh remake might take more effort into Gen VIII, I'm not saying they'll be new pokemon in DP Remake, but about the region, possibly new characters, and probably Sinnoh Variants. It's likely to see DP remake on Switch, because having DP remake on 3DS, will not cut it, especially DPPt are playable on 3DS. Also comparing the content between Platinum and HGSS.
Sinnoh remakes are probably low on their priority list. They chose XY first over ORAS last generation, and I think Kanto/Sequels are also more important than a Sinnoh hame.

Personally, I'd prefer to see a new engine from get go. Also add in some new forms, and you've got a nice transition game for the Switch in the form of Kanto/Johto.

I'm really curious how a HD Pokemon main game is going to look like and play. I suppose Maybe Pokken Tournament gives some idea of what they might look like roughly but we'l see/

My hope is that GF brings back a few features they ditched in sixth gen, like the menu they had for online features. It was perfect and didn't need to be fixed; much better then the Plaza we have now imo. The missing battle modes too, because I want something then just singles and doubles.

Ah, now I'm with you. In your original post I quoted, I took it that you meant the 2018 game would be on 3DS. My bad.

Agree to disagree, and all that.

It's all good lol. I'm with you too. Just seems way too soon for Gen VIII, I don't want it to be a rushed mess of a game. Agree to disagree haha.

@DoctorWhy What about Sinnoh Remake

I expect we will get Sinnoh remakes in Gen VIII, but I highly doubt that Sinnoh is a possibility for next year's game. It sounds slightly less likely than Gen VIII, and I think Gen VIII is unlikely. I want Sinnoh remakes, too, but they are not worth breaking their generation/platform release pattern like Kanto/Johto sequels would be.

Sinnoh remakes are probably low on their priority list. They chose XY first over ORAS last generation, and I think Kanto/Sequels are also more important than a Sinnoh game.

agreed

Personally, I'd prefer to see a new engine from get go. Also add in some new forms, and you've got a nice transition game for the Switch in the form of Kanto/Johto.

That would be nice, but it's extremely unlikely imo considering that Gen VII's engine is already HD capable and that a new engine would probably extend dev time into 2019, and they said they wanted to release in 2018.

I still can't get over the fact that many people seemed to think that the announcement of Ultra Sun and Moon for 3DS constituted a declaration from Nintendo/Game Freak that they would keep the main series on 3DS permanently and refuse to eventually move on to Switch.

There were even outraged comments about GameFreak was too "cowardly" to support Nintendo Switch and whatnot.

I still can't get over the fact that many people seemed to think that the announcement of Ultra Sun and Moon for 3DS constituted a declaration from Nintendo/Game Freak that they would keep the main series on 3DS permanently and refuse to eventually move on to Switch.

There were even outraged comments about GameFreak was too "cowardly" to support Nintendo Switch and whatnot.

I'm still amazed that people saw the Switch announcement as a means to ease the backlash from the US/UM. It's extremely unlikely that they rushed the announcement at the last minute for E3. I'm still pretty sure that companies at big events like E3 plan out what they're going to do and reveal well ahead of time. Not to mention I don't think that the backlash was that bad, or at least to the point where they had to calm down the fans with another announcement one week later.

I didn't hear of anyone saying that they'd keep the main series on the 3DS permanently and they were too cowardly to support the Switch. That is really ridiculous. I don't see the 3DS having much support after this year. There might be some games for the system next year, but I'm not sure about that. Nintendo seems to be really focused on the Switch and it seems to be paying off for them based on what I've heard. They can't keep the main series on one system permanently because they keep making new systems every few years and with how successful the series is, Nintendo and Game Freak would obviously want to keep the money train rolling.

I don't know why people thought that not getting a Switch game now means that they never would. It's the same thing with not getting Sinnoh remakes. Just because it didn't happen now doesn't mean we won't ever get the games. Much like R/S remakes, D/P will happen eventually and a move to the Switch was pretty much a guarantee unless they decided to make a more traditional handheld system instead. I also think that people forget that the Switch is new, expensive and hard to come by. It would be too early to get main series titles on the Switch now, so waiting awhile longer makes sense for both the developers and fans who haven't gotten the system yet. I'm still hoping for a handheld only version of the Switch partly for money and partly so that I can just play the system as a handheld like I'd prefer, so waiting awhile longer could help make that possible too. A lot of people would love a bundle pack for the new games and a new Switch system.

This outrage is getting a little old, The fans need to except the fact that S/UM is on 3DS and we'll get a Pokemon game for Switch next year. But I don't know why announcing Pokemon Game on Switch so early just to get rid of the backlash.

Okay We didn't get Diamond/Pearl Remake, They might as well wait for it now, Especially it's going to be on Switch instead of 3DS. Although, Introducing a Remake or Sequel on a new system, doesn't make since at all, Since they always introduced new generations on a new hardware, I doubt it'll be Gen VIII, because they wouldn't rush a new game already. Unless they're doing something like introducing a remake or sequel first and then New Generation (I doubt it)

Yes Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are exclusively to 3DS, Since the whole "Stars" rumor started with the release of Sun/Moon, Eurogamer stated that "it'll be Switch Exclusive", we all know "Stars" was a codename for US/UM. During the Direct, I was skeptical on how the Teenager were playing Pokken Tournament on Switch and the kids are playing US/UM on 3DS. I just hope US/UM will be better games than SM. After the Direct, there was a website stating they'll US/UM on Switch, it was reconfirmed that they made n error in the listing. That did upset the Switch fans. During the E3 Tsunekazu Ishihara did announce a Pokemon game for Switch will be release More than a year, which bring back the hype of Pokemon Main Title on Switch.

Well there's nothing they can do for this year, We can affect it next year, but what I'm afraid is US/UM will be their less priority and affect the sales.

It really depends on when it releases. If we see it's release in 2018, then I can see this game being either Generation 8 (even though it feels way too early to say that) or some sort of super Pokemon game. One where we might be able to travel to multiple regions. After all, it will be on the switch so a lot of data can be stored. I think either one is pretty likely, but gen 8 slightly more, and I'll explain why later in the post. I also see it being possible that it would be some sort of Kanto/Johto sequel thing, but that one i still thin would be a little less likely. Idk though.

Now if it's 2019 that we see this game, it does add in the possibility that it could be a Gen 4 remake. After all, the switch is not compatible with DS games, and it will have been 5 years since the last remake came out, following that pattern (FRLG: 2004, HGSS: 2009, ORAS: 2014). But I honestly don't think they would start a new a new line of Pokemon games on a new console, with a remake.

For what I think is the most likely, I think I would have to say we see the new game in 2018, it being the new Generation 8 titles, and in 2019 we will see the second Pokemon games on the Switch, Diamond and Pearl Remakes. This one follows the GF patterns the most. BW2 were released on the DS in 2012, after the 3DS was released, and then we saw Generation 6 in 2013. USUM will be released this November, after the release of the Switch, so it seems likely that the Switch will bring us a new generation.

Yes, we might have just had SM two years before this, but SM were different from any Pokemon game we have seen before, that major difference being The Trials with the Island Challenge, instead of the usual gyms. Because of the games taking this new route, the anime took one as well, where Ash is taking on the Kahunas (and the trials I guess, haven't kept up too much with the anime), while staying on Melemele and attending Pokemon School. At the pace the anime is currently going in, I don't think they would be able to add basically a full year of filler episodes (yes I know some it will be the story, but with Lillie not having Cosmog (Yet?) and Gladion having left home, but not having Type: Null (unless he's hiding it), the story will probably go a lot differently than in the game.

I didn't hear of anyone saying that they'd keep the main series on the 3DS permanently and they were too cowardly to support the Switch. That is really ridiculous. I don't see the 3DS having much support after this year. There might be some games for the system next year, but I'm not sure about that. Nintendo seems to be really focused on the Switch and it seems to be paying off for them based on what I've heard. They can't keep the main series on one system permanently because they keep making new systems every few years and with how successful the series is, Nintendo and Game Freak would obviously want to keep the money train rolling.

There were definitely people expecting Generation 8 on the 3DS (even now, I found a Reddit post stating that Generation 8 should be a 3DS/Switch dual release). There were quite a bit of people who thought that we'llgrt a new handheld and Pokemon should stay away from the Switch.

There were definitely people expecting Generation 8 on the 3DS (even now, I found a Reddit post stating that Generation 8 should be a 3DS/Switch dual release). There were quite a bit of people who thought that we'llgrt a new handheld and Pokemon should stay away from the Switch.

I can understand the theory of getting a new handheld system for Pokemon. I thought that they'd go in that direction and a part of me kind of does want that, if only because I like Nintendo's handheld systems and I am a bit worried how they'll handle the games with just one screen again, but it seems unlikely now with this announcement. It's possible that a portable only version of the Switch could be more like a 3DS successor though. I'm a bit more surprised people wanted the eighth generation to be a 3DS/Switch dual release. I don't think that the Switch can play games from other systems. If that's the case, then they'd be making four versions of basically the same game for two different systems. It would have the same problem as US/UM being a dual release. It would be overkill and unnecessary.

I don't think that the Switch can play games from other systems.

The new Monster Hunter game is a 3DS/Switch dual release. But there's no backwards compatibility, they're separate copies of games.

The new Monster Hunter game is a 3DS/Switch dual release. But there's no backwards compatibility, they're separate copies of games.
Are you referring to Monster Hunter XX? In which case, you're a little mistaken. It's not a dual release, but rather a port of a game that was originally released for the 3DS. Secondly, yes, backwards compatibility isn't possible on Switch, that much is certain. But it is known that the 3DS version will be able to communicate with the Switch version. Save transfers, for example, are possible.

How likely would this timeline be:

2018 - Kanto sequel(s)
2019 - Break year
2020 - Sinnoh remake(s)
2021 - Gen VIII

How likely would this timeline be:

2018 - Kanto sequel(s)
2019 - Break year
2020 - Sinnoh remake(s)
2021 - Gen VIII

I believe that Gen VIII will be relased before Sinnoh remakes will be. I also think gen VIII will be released before a potential kanto sequel, however, i could imagine the latter also being released first, as a less likely option.

People really need to remember that Pokemon games are never released on the first year of a handheld. The quickest turnaround was Gen III being released in Japan one year after the GBA launched.

Besides, I'd rather see them take their time making Gen VIII instead of rushing it out like they probably did with Gen VI.

Back
Top Bottom