• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see sinnoh remakes happening. They probably be after the first pair of gen 8 games on switch.

I think they make Gen 1 remakes for Switch & Gen 4 remakes for 3DS then later Gen 8 for both.

At this point Sinnoh remakes are a firm 2020. Next game is obviously 8th gen, which will be either in 2018 or 2019. Whichever of those two isn't 8th gen will be a break year, then after that Sinnoh remakes.

One question I have is, why remakes and not a sequel? I personally think sequels makes more sense. The sequel doesn't even have to tie directly into the original. It could just be another story set in the same place just a few years later.

One question I have is, why remakes and not a sequel? I personally think sequels makes more sense. The sequel doesn't even have to tie directly into the original. It could just be another story set in the same place just a few years later.

Because patterns.

GF could had made sequels for GSC when they decided that FRLG was a thing, but they went for the remake route, the one time they went for sequels was to their then-current games, not not an older game due to be remade, and therefore, people are likely to expect sequels for more recent titles instead of their older content, A potential gen 4 (or 1/2) sequel would of course throw fans a curveball but the question becomes if GF are willing to do it.

I don't think Ultra Sun/Moon can really be considered a remake. A remake has so far been "new console, new graphics, updated to include new Pokemon from other gens", and so on-and is never part of the gen it was remade for. It's got a different story and different Pokemon, but no other major changes we've heard of yet-certainly nothing as drastic as a graphics overhaul. That's much more similar to a third version (Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald had new stories but the same graphics, mechanics, and Pokemon) than a remake.

I don't think Ultra Sun/Moon can really be considered a remake. A remake has so far been "new console, new graphics, updated to include new Pokemon from other gens", and so on-and is never part of the gen it was remade for. It's got a different story and different Pokemon, but no other major changes we've heard of yet-certainly nothing as drastic as a graphics overhaul. That's much more similar to a third version (Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald had new stories but the same graphics, mechanics, and Pokemon) than a remake.
I think when people speak of USUM as a remake they really mean rehash based on what they assume from the description and trailer. We really don't know for sure how different they will be from SM. I assume the games will be either more akin to third versions or sequels than true GF remakes.

Because patterns.

GF could had made sequels for GSC when they decided that FRLG was a thing, but they went for the remake route, the one time they went for sequels was to their then-current games, not not an older game due to be remade, and therefore, people are likely to expect sequels for more recent titles instead of their older content, A potential gen 4 (or 1/2) sequel would of course throw fans a curveball but the question becomes if GF are willing to do it.

I do doubt that we will get DP sequels, and rather we will probably get DP remakes as we did with previous generations. However, when it comes to Gen 1/2 (Kanto/Johto) I believe sequels are completely possible, considering that both of these sets of games have been/will be released on the Virtual Console, making them current again. Gen 1 VC 2016, Gen 2 VC 2017, and potentially Kanto/Johto combined sequel in 2018?

Personally, I expect this:
2018 - Kanto/Johto sequel (Switch)
2019 - break year
2020 - Gen 8
2021 - DP remakes

I haven't played ORAS but I read that it retconned some stuff such that it became sort of like a prequel to XY. Could someone please explain what exactly happened without spoiling anything? I just got myself ORA recently and I'm going to play it soon when I finally finish M.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if something similar could happen to a DP remake.

I haven't played ORAS but I read that it retconned some stuff such that it became sort of like a prequel to XY. Could someone please explain what exactly happened without spoiling anything? I just got myself ORA recently and I'm going to play it soon when I finally finish M.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if something similar could happen to a DP remake.

There isn't much that could be said without spoiling both, but I will say that a certain charatcer visited Hoenn once, a certain pokemon mega evolved before Lucario and that Devon Corporation is using the energy that also fuels Mega Evolution.

If DP gets similarly reinterpreted, then it might be possible, but not for Sun and Moon. That ship has sailed.

There isn't much that could be said without spoiling both, but I will say that a certain charatcer visited Hoenn once, a certain pokemon mega evolved before Lucario and that Devon Corporation is using the energy that also fuels Mega Evolution.

Thanks! Sounds interesting.

Sad... I want Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: Lillie Special Edition. :p

I do doubt that we will get DP sequels, and rather we will probably get DP remakes as we did with previous generations. However, when it comes to Gen 1/2 (Kanto/Johto) I believe sequels are completely possible, considering that both of these sets of games have been/will be released on the Virtual Console, making them current again. Gen 1 VC 2016, Gen 2 VC 2017, and potentially Kanto/Johto combined sequel in 2018?

Personally, I expect this:
2018 - Kanto/Johto sequel (Switch)
2019 - break year
2020 - Gen 8
2021 - DP remakes
So Sinnoh remakes for the 25th Anniversary? Don't see that happening.

So Sinnoh remakes for the 25th Anniversary? Don't see that happening.
Me neither, they wouldn't wait that long for DP remake, just because they wanted Kanto/Johto Sequels over Sinnoh Remake. We'll likely to see DP remake before Gen VIII happening. Plus in Gen VIII they might be either Black/White Remake or another Black/White Sequel in Gen VIII and they don't open two remake in the same generation.

My personal hopes for Gen IV remakes is that they base the story and regional dex more off of Platinum than Diamond and Pearl. I liked DP, don't get me wrong, but Platinum is so much better than the original releases in terms of story (although it's still nothing compared to Gen V or VII's stories) and Pokemon selection it isn't even funny. Oh, and I hope the secret bases in the Underground have just as many features (or more) than the Super Secret Bases from ORAS.

Also, I personally don't hope there's as much of a difference in quality as there was between XY and ORAS... Because I hope Gen VIII's main games aren't as disappointing as XY. I don't want to have Gen VIII be as disappointing compared to Gen VII as Gen VI was compared to Gen V.

Then again, there's kind of a tendency for the first Gen on a console with multiple Gens (as opposed to he GBA which only had one including the remakes) to be disappointing or rough around the edges compared to the second Gen on the same console. Gen I isn't as good as Gen II, Gen IV isn't as good as Gen V, and Gen VI certainly wasn't as good as Gen VII. That being said, thanks to Platinum, the difference in quality between Gen IV and Gen V was much less dramatic than the differences between Gen I and Gen II or Gen VI and Gen VII.

Last edited:
I bet they'll call it Ultra Diamond/Ultra Pearl :p

The following I should point out is a double edged sword. Diamond and Pearl are the 10th anniversary games. Its a double edged sword because on the one hand they would lend credence for DP remakes (didn't happen) but on the other hand it also meant that things that were created in relation to DP (Including the anime) are lore likely to be used either for homage or sinply becuase of the association.

Come to think of it. Oracion was used for the Rise of Darkrai. Was that the 10th movie?

I think Joe might be thinking that USUM would just have sinnoh refernces, but not hint towards remakes in Gen 7, because The Sinnoh and Alola games are supposed to be Anniversary titles (Plus HGSS were Gen 4 remakes of gen 2 games, which also lines things up for Johto references)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom